Thread: Calvinism

Calvinism

Question for calvinist, how would you summarize the overall story of the bible? Trying to do research and would greatly appreciate your answers, thanks in advance.

Re: Calvinism

Quote Originally Posted by daymangs13 View Post
    Question for calvinist, how would you summarize the overall story of the bible? Trying to do research and would greatly appreciate your answers, thanks in advance.
    I'm just a student of the Bible, and no Calvinist, but there is a very scholarly work by Robert Govett on Calvin's doctrine called "Calvinism by Calvin". The book is now probably out of print but I found it as a download on this link.

https://archive.org/details/calvinism-by-calvin

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by daymangs13 View Post
    Calvinism may mean different things for different people. I'm a Calvinist, but not likely strictly in the sense of all Calvinists. I'm just a Predestinarian, simply because I believe Jesus taught it, Paul taught it, Augustine taught it, Luther taught it, and Calvin taught it. I changed my position from Arminian to Predestinarian while listening to Walter Martin advocate for Calvinism. I simply deferred to Martin's argument, because they were stronger arguments than I had, and also because something in the belief system spoke to my personal upbringing in Christianity.

I can only speak then to my own brand of Calvinism. I believe Jesus anticipated from the beginning that his "flock" would be infected with false sheep. It was, as Jesus said, the planting of Satan in the field of the world. A harvest of good grain came up, along with a harvest of weeds. The tares and wheat were virtually undistinguishable, until closer to harvest time. We should be very careful when trying to judge who the true sheep are and who the false sheep are. It's best to let people make their own decisions, and not to try to predetermine who we think they are acting like.

God always knew not all Israel would be like their father Abraham. Some would become "false sheep." In time God advanced the Gospel to the nations. Again, God knew the nations would not produce all sheep. There would be false sheep in all nations, just as in Israel. The history of the world is all about the advance of the Gospel, encouraging the sheep to act like sheep, and judging those who determine to rebel against the word of God.

Calvinism? can't tell you much google it like everyone else, but they do have a site if my memory serves call crosstalk or that word is included.

I can tell you some of its effects in the protestant arena, most protestants and Catholics for that matter see it as they chose God. whereas the bible says God choses His own. for example "called chosen and faithful"

so when pointing that fact out, the protestant loyal to their theology (which is of men) scream "that's Calvinism" to discredit such thinking. while not really knowing Calvinism, which is a whole lot more than that. but it seems with little reading of is off base also.

but the principle that God choses His people is scripturally sound as there is a Living God. God chose every soul that He had a relationship with that is documented in scripture, no exceptions. if the Lord God tells His people what to chose then its His choice for them just as Jesus His beloved Son is His choice for our salvation amongst other things. and any fool that thinks otherwise and thinks that God must honor those who invite themselves to the Kingdom of God because they have chosen to do so, shall be denied their expectation of entitlement. and this is true whether its categorized by men as Calvinism or not.

the Israelites didn't chose the Lord God, He chose them and hasn't released them from that choice even now.
    Let there be Light

Thank you, I appreciate the resource and the response.

Thread Information