Thread: What do you guys think this scripture means?

What do you guys think this scripture means?

Proverbs 18:14 The spirit of a man sustaineth his sickness, And a smitten spirit who doth bear?

Based on what definition of the sustain is interpreted this can mean more than one thing. So what does this scripture mean exactly?

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Re: What do you guys think this scripture means?

I use 2 different bibles.
    My Names Of God Bible says it this way.
    A person's spirit can endure sickness,
    But who can bear a broken spirit?
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Myname View Post
    Proverbs 18:14 The spirit of a man sustaineth his sickness, And a smitten spirit who doth bear?

Based on what definition of the sustain is interpreted this can mean more than one thing. So what does this scripture mean exactly?
    Here are four different versions than yours. I think they will help you understand.
    • King James - The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?
    • English Standard Version - A man’s spirit will endure sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?
    • New King James - The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, but who can bear a broken spirit?
    • New Living Translation - The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear a crushed spirit?
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Here are four different versions than yours. I think they will help you understand.
    • King James - The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?
    • English Standard Version - A man’s spirit will endure sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?
    • New King James - The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, but who can bear a broken spirit?
    • New Living Translation - The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear a crushed spirit?
    We can put up with illness, like arthritis, bowl disorders, cancer etc
    But you cannot endure mental illness it brings you to the grave.

Blog Entries

This was helpful. I like the Elliot’s

Ellicott's Commentary
    (14) The spirit of a man.—That is, one properly so called, who draws his strength from God, will “sustain his infirmity,” help him to bear up against trouble; “but a wounded spirit” (not one crushed with the sense of sin, for that God will lift up, Isaiah 66:2; Psalm 51:17), which retires into itself and nurses its griefs, “who can bear” the wear of it?

More insight here >>> https://biblehub.com/commentaries/proverbs/18-14.htm
    A cannot be A & not A at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

Quote Originally Posted by Myname View Post

I think the others here have done well on this, and I have little to add. I would just suggest that at the heart of the words is the sad misfortune of those who lose faith in the midst of their circumstances. It is positively crushing to think God has abandoned us to our fate. "Father, why have you forsaken me" is one of the saddest verses in the Scriptures. Christ portrays the view of the Psalmist who sees his life ebbing away as if God rejects him as a sinner. We should always overcome these times of trouble and doubt with a renewal of our belief in the love of God. "There is no fear in love for fear has to do with punishment." We should not fear being punished--not even when we sin--because we can always confess our sins and be reassured that no matter what the consequences of our sin, God will not forever reject us. All He wants is our belief in our unity with Him.

Cool Re: What do you guys think this scripture means?

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    • English Standard Version - A mans spirit will endure sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?
    Very good jayne, but I think NKJV stated the most plainly:
    Pro. 18:14 "The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?"
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Very good jayne, but I think NKJV stated the most plainly:
    Pro. 18:14 "The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?"
    My first question is, is it figurative or literal when it says broken spirit? And if it’s literal how do I understand what that means? Second question is how does a mans spirit sustain him in sickness?

Blog Entries

I think it's simply saying emotional/mental distress is more difficult to endure than physical ones. It's easier to be joyful in sickness than joyful in spiritual trials.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Very good Aviyah! I really like how you worded that. And it is indeed true.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    I think it's simply saying emotional/mental distress is more difficult to endure than physical ones. It's easier to be joyful in sickness than joyful in spiritual trials.
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

A mind in bondage is far more oppressive than a soul in bondage.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Thread Information