Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ESV and why?

The ESV and why?

When I was growing up everything seemed to be in NIV. When I had to memorize verses for anything, it was always NIV version. Now every church I go to seems to prefer ESV. Someone once told me NASB was a really good word-for-word translation, but I've never seen anyone use that.

I have like 5 different versions downloaded on my phone so I can flip between them and see if they give new understanding or fresh angle on any passage. Secretly, I really like reading MSG, with the understanding that it's more like a commentary than a translation. It really makes the passages beautiful again and takes away the rote memorization that has numbed my brain to a lot of what it says.

But I'm curious to know why ESV seems to have become the dominating translation. Is that just my circle of influence that has adopted it to fully?
    Last edited by jayne; Nov 25th 2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: The original title invites King James Onlyist to the thread.

Blog Entries

Re: What version of the Bible and why?

ESV is my favorite also because it's intended to be precise with regards to the meaning of a sentence or paragraph. It's probably the best for grammar nerds, lol. NASB can sometimes render a phrase in a way that doesn't really express the meaning of what was said. So I bounce between those too, and in really intensive cases, I'll also use the Geneva or KJV for a completely different viewpoint. I only know one or two people who use NASB primarily; most are ESV or NRSV.

I'm like you though, in school I memorized under NIV, yet now I don't know anyone who uses it. It's still good to have as a third voice since it's not a derivative as far as I know.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Blog Entries

ESV is my main go to Bible also. It’s a good literal/thought for thought blend considering the nuances and difficulty of accurately translating two mature and inflective languages into english.

Blog Entries

Mod Note:

The OP has not asked ONE SOLITARY WORD about the King James Bible [Which is a good Bible].

He has specifically asked about the ESV and what makes it a good translation.

To keep this thread from being moved to Controversial like so many of our threads are going, I am going to delete every and all King James Only links and posts.

It is perfectly alright to discuss the King James Only movement, but this board does not support that movement - even though many here like the King James, including me. But any discussion of King James Only or why any other Bible is corrupt is to be put in Controversial.

Period. I am NOT playing.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Sorry Jane i must have misunderstood the title of this thread..

"What version of the Bible and why?"

Jude
    The cross is going to judge everything in your life: your eating, your drinking, your sleeping, your spending, your talking. Everything is cross-examined!

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Sorry Jane i must have misunderstood the title of this thread..

"What version of the Bible and why?"

Jude
    His title is misleading, but his OP is not. I will change his title.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Re: The ESV and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    When I was growing up everything seemed to be in NIV. When I had to memorize verses for anything, it was always NIV version. Now every church I go to seems to prefer ESV. Someone once told me NASB was a really good word-for-word translation, but I've never seen anyone use that.

I have like 5 different versions downloaded on my phone so I can flip between them and see if they give new understanding or fresh angle on any passage. Secretly, I really like reading MSG, with the understanding that it's more like a commentary than a translation. It really makes the passages beautiful again and takes away the rote memorization that has numbed my brain to a lot of what it says.

But I'm curious to know why ESV seems to have become the dominating translation. Is that just my circle of influence that has adopted it to fully?
    Just how I see it....Without getting into reasons why people moved from the KJV it seems the knee jerk reaction to do so caused people to swing to far in the other direction of a paraphrase translation. That left you caught up in the NIV frenzy and fad. With the need for something more accurate the ESV emerged as the preferred. I started using the ESV as much as the KJV but mostly use the NET now for general reading.

Blog Entries

The NIV is not supposed to be a paraphrase translation. It’s marketed as a balance of word for word and thought for thought translation, where the translators deemed appropriate. Having said that, I’ve run into a few issues with it myself.

The ESV is the most readable literal translation I have read and addresses the issues I had (so far) with NIV (and KJV for that matter) The ESV is an Excellent Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    The NIV is not supposed to be a paraphrase translation. It’s marketed as a balance of word for word and thought for thought translation, where the translators deemed appropriate. Having said that, I’ve run into a few issues with it myself.

The ESV is the most readable literal translation I have read and addresses the issues I had (so far) with NIV (and KJV for that matter) The ESV is an Excellent Bible.
    I agree. There's just too much rearranging and thoughts and words missing from the NIV to not not be considered a paraphrase IMO, but it's certainly a lot better than nothing if someone likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Mod Note:

The OP has not asked ONE SOLITARY WORD about the King James Bible [Which is a good Bible].

He has specifically asked about the ESV and what makes it a good translation.

To keep this thread from being moved to Controversial like so many of our threads are going, I am going to delete every and all King James Only links and posts.

It is perfectly alright to discuss the King James Only movement, but this board does not support that movement - even though many here like the King James, including me. But any discussion of King James Only or why any other Bible is corrupt is to be put in Controversial.

Period. I am NOT playing.
    I get why you changed the title, and I do want to steer clear of KJV only arguments, but the only reason I focused on the ESV is because it seems to be the most common these days. My ultimate goal here was to ask which translation people prefer, ESV or whatever else. I've seen some Bible teachers like Beth Moore flip between a large number of translations and I'm curious as to how those people decide what is best for what.

Blog Entries

I get why you changed the title, and I do want to steer clear of KJV only arguments, but the only reason I focused on the ESV is because it seems to be the most common these days. My ultimate goal here was to ask which translation people prefer, ESV or whatever else. I've seen some Bible teachers like Beth Moore flip between a large number of translations and I'm curious as to how those people decide what is best for what.
    I think you will find many of us use several translations, and some of us who know other languages have Bibles in those languages also. I have a German Bible (Luther) and a Russian Bible (Synod), both were translated independently.

Bible translations can use different Greek manuscripts for the New Testament, so there can be differences there also.

Many here also read Hebrew and Greek.

But the important thing when studying Scripture is prayer and Godly council. Therefore it is important to be grounded in an accountable and Biblical congregation, with Biblically appointed leadership.

stick to KJV and use the full 20 volume OED to refer to for what the translators intended. and you won't have to deal with the changing use of the English language also the KJV has stood over 400 years and the mist of public scrutiny scholars and misuse by clergy and haters of God alike. simply read it see things as they are and let it be.

an example of the English language in the case of the KJV look up the word "saw". in the 15 to 16 hundreds the word saw only meant a saw blade as a jagged edge and to declare. no reference to vision or witnessing with one's eye. so what is meant by the translators in the statement:

Gen 1:4* And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.*
    Let there be Light

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DPMartin View Post
    stick to KJV and use the full 20 volume OED to refer to for what the translators intended. and you won't have to deal with the changing use of the English language also the KJV has stood over 400 years and the mist of public scrutiny scholars and misuse by clergy and haters of God alike. simply read it see things as they are and let it be.

an example of the English language in the case of the KJV look up the word "saw". in the 15 to 16 hundreds the word saw only meant a saw blade as a jagged edge and to declare. no reference to vision or witnessing with one's eye. so what is meant by the translators in the statement:

Gen 1:4* And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.*
    What does your OED say the burnt offering is in Leviticus 2?

One of the advantages of the ESV is that you don’t need a translation from English to English.

Blog Entries

The short story of the ESV as I understand it is thus - Back in the 1990's the International Bible Society/Zondervan announced that they were in the process of producing an updated version of the NIV, called "Today's New International Version", or the TNIV. In it they were trying to make it more gender-inclusiveness. This upset many conservative groups, including James Dobsen & Wayne Grudem. These conservative leaders contacted Crossways publishing with the desire for a newer readable English translation and do away with the NIV and its new direction with the TNIV. These events led to the publishing of the ESV in 2001, which is an updated translation based on the RSV from 1970.

(Note I am only relaying the history, I am not taking a position on the TNIV, I have not read it, nor have I looked at the passages in question in detail)

http://baylyblog.com/blog/2006/02/hi...andard-version

What is the TNIV?

What is the ESV
    ὁ ̓Ιησοῦς κύριος

Blog Entries

Hebrew and Greek is a gender based language - That is the predicate in Hebrew conjugate according to the gender of the subject, and is therefore grammatically referred to as “he” or “she.” This is true in all gender based languages (some have masculine and feminine with the addition of neutral)

For example “wisdom” in Hebrew is feminine, so it’s grammatically correct to refer to “wisdom” with a personal pronoun - “she” - in Hebrew. That doesn’t make wisdom a woman or have any feminine attribute, but a literal translation keeps “she” in the translation - however a proper thought for thought English translation should render “it” since English nouns have no gender and aren’t assigned a gender based personal pronoun. The original writers didn’t attach any femininity to “wisdom,” but many Proverbs readers believe “wisdom” has a mystical feminine attribute because of this literalist translation.

I think these are the nuances the newer NIV tried to address. It only sounds “evil” when the true context of the rewrite is left out.

It’s even more interesting with names - a name like “Yeshua” is feminine in Greek (soft ending) forcing a transliteration to Greek to read “IESOUS” or a name like “Yehuda” to “Judas,” otherwise left alone the Greek grammar would have to address “Yeshua” or “Yehuda” as “she.”

Thread Information