Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: This generation shall not pass

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quartzsite AZ
    Posts
    170

    This generation shall not pass


    this one chapter is always been either miss understood or deliberately used to deceive:

    Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 
    Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

    note three questions are asked  "when shall these things be?" the destruction of the temple, and not His coming but the sign, " what shall be the sign of thy coming" and, "the end of the world"


    and after some explanations while at the place He is to return to, which include:

    Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. ................
    Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
    Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: ).............
    Mat 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    Mat 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
    Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

    and states:
    Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.



    so what did Jesus mean by "this generation shall not pass"? many think in terms where generation is a one of, or usually considered a 40 year period in "modern" thinking. but the truth is the principal meaning of generation is: The action of generating


    In this case, which shall not pass, hence, "The action of generating", souls shall be born again until the angels come and get us, which stands with Paul's explanation of coming in the clouds and those who are still here will be caught up. so everything that Jesus says will happen, to the born again as well as the wicked, until verse 31. so the true believer that is here in the world during these times will remain until the angels come to get you at the last trumpet. and by the looks of things that could be us who are here today.



    Let there be Light

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    138

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    It's easier than all that. One has to read what all our Lord Jesus included with His Message about the generation He meant. And it's right there in the same sentence where He mentioned generation.

    Matt 24:33-35
    33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

    34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

    35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
    KJV


    The key phrase is "all these things".

    He said there when they "shall see all these things", and He linked it to that generation not passing away "till all these things be fulfilled." He made it easy, just got to stick what He said there and not try to twist it into mush.

    The simple meaning of course is that the generation that 'sees all these things' will not pass away until 'all these things' are fulfilled.

    That can mean only one specific generation, the last one on earth, i.e., the generation that will 'see' Jesus' 2nd coming in the clouds, because that is the final sign He gave about "all these things".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quartzsite AZ
    Posts
    170

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by DavePeace View Post
    It's easier than all that. One has to read what all our Lord Jesus included with His Message about the generation He meant. And it's right there in the same sentence where He mentioned generation.

    Matt 24:33-35
    33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

    34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

    35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
    KJV


    The key phrase is "all these things".

    He said there when they "shall see all these things", and He linked it to that generation not passing away "till all these things be fulfilled." He made it easy, just got to stick what He said there and not try to twist it into mush.

    The simple meaning of course is that the generation that 'sees all these things' will not pass away until 'all these things' are fulfilled.

    That can mean only one specific generation, the last one on earth, i.e., the generation that will 'see' Jesus' 2nd coming in the clouds, because that is the final sign He gave about "all these things".
    nope just had that conversation, the generation (as in those in the world then) that sees the temple destroyed in 70AD of which the first question the disciples asked "when shall these things be" was in reference to "There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down" will not be in the world some 1800 years or more later in which some of what Jesus spoke hasn't happened yet has it?

    so the same people will not be in the world in 70 ad and 2018 ad; but in 1600s the word generation meant, and is still the principle meaning of in the OED

    I. The action of generating.

    1. a. The act or process of generating or begetting physically; procreation; propagation of species. For equivocal, spontaneous generation, see the adjs.

    hence the act of generating in this case children of God , hasn't passed as of yet has it? and it started at Pentecost didn't it? Jesus doesn't speak from earthly point of views as you have here, He speaks from the view of the Kingdom of Heaven.

    you should follow your own advise and read "all these things" which includes the destruction of the temple, not just the things at the end of the world. because if Jesus was specifically meaning what they who were standing there would see they couldn't have seen all those things could they?
    Let there be Light

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    145

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    If the generation that sees the final fulfilment of all of these things, were only to see but the last of the things that Jesus was referring to (in 'all these things'), THEN "this generation" that sees all of these things fulfilled, does not mean the generation that seen the first of those things fulfilled, that included the destruction of the temple.

    If that is the case then "this generation" means more than just the generation that saw some of these things fulfilled. And so, "this generation" is not a single generation of time, but rather refers to a generation of evil hearts. Multiple generations of time may or may not be included, but a reference to multiple time periods by the same phrase, "this generation", would mean that confusion is the result with no means of separating which generation referred to what particular events. Therefore, I conclude that "this generation", in reference to time, could only refer to one generation, otherwise it is not a reference to time.

    Blessings
    The PuP

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,518

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by DPMartin View Post

    this one chapter is always been either miss understood or deliberately used to deceive:

    Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 
    Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

    note three questions are asked  "when shall these things be?" the destruction of the temple, and not His coming but the sign, " what shall be the sign of thy coming" and, "the end of the world"


    and after some explanations while at the place He is to return to, which include:

    Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. ................
    Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
    Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: ).............
    Mat 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    Mat 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
    Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

    and states:
    Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.



    so what did Jesus mean by "this generation shall not pass"? many think in terms where generation is a one of, or usually considered a 40 year period in "modern" thinking. but the truth is the principal meaning of generation is: The action of generating


    In this case, which shall not pass, hence, "The action of generating", souls shall be born again until the angels come and get us, which stands with Paul's explanation of coming in the clouds and those who are still here will be caught up. so everything that Jesus says will happen, to the born again as well as the wicked, until verse 31. so the true believer that is here in the world during these times will remain until the angels come to get you at the last trumpet. and by the looks of things that could be us who are here today.



    Not at all. A "generation" literally means a generation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quartzsite AZ
    Posts
    170

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesachpup View Post
    If the generation that sees the final fulfilment of all of these things, were only to see but the last of the things that Jesus was referring to (in 'all these things'), THEN "this generation" that sees all of these things fulfilled, does not mean the generation that seen the first of those things fulfilled, that included the destruction of the temple.

    that's only "IF" therefore there is no true conclusion in your posting, which is only a garbage in garbage out scenario.
    Let there be Light

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Not at all. A "generation" literally means a generation.
    Indeed, which is DEFINED by the CONTEXT which has EVERYTHING from the destruction of the temple TO His return.
    This is why your claim about "this generation" meaning 70 AD is ONLY held by Preterists.
    Everyone else recognises the problem in claiming it means people alive at the time because they will NOT see all these things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesachpup View Post
    If the generation that sees the final fulfilment of all of these things, were only to see but the last of the things that Jesus was referring to (in 'all these things'), THEN "this generation" that sees all of these things fulfilled, does not mean the generation that seen the first of those things fulfilled, that included the destruction of the temple.

    If that is the case then "this generation" means more than just the generation that saw some of these things fulfilled. And so, "this generation" is not a single generation of time, but rather refers to a generation of evil hearts. Multiple generations of time may or may not be included, but a reference to multiple time periods by the same phrase, "this generation", would mean that confusion is the result with no means of separating which generation referred to what particular events. Therefore, I conclude that "this generation", in reference to time, could only refer to one generation, otherwise it is not a reference to time.

    Blessings
    The PuP
    Or it simply means those who are generated - which would be Jews.
    Which therefore is a promise that the Jews WILL NOT be wiped out, no matter how hard the dragon tries. The Holocaust was a serious attempt.

    There will be another when the AC comes to power and declares himself god. This will be the last though as those who escape that TERRIBLE Day - the Day of Jacob's Trouble will then be nourished in the wilderness.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    138

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by DPMartin View Post
    nope just had that conversation, the generation (as in those in the world then) that sees the temple destroyed in 70AD of which the first question the disciples asked "when shall these things be" was in reference to "There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down" will not be in the world some 1800 years or more later in which some of what Jesus spoke hasn't happened yet has it?

    so the same people will not be in the world in 70 ad and 2018 ad; but in 1600s the word generation meant, and is still the principle meaning of in the OED

    I. The action of generating.

    1. a. The act or process of generating or begetting physically; procreation; propagation of species. For equivocal, spontaneous generation, see the adjs.

    hence the act of generating in this case children of God , hasn't passed as of yet has it? and it started at Pentecost didn't it? Jesus doesn't speak from earthly point of views as you have here, He speaks from the view of the Kingdom of Heaven.

    you should follow your own advise and read "all these things" which includes the destruction of the temple, not just the things at the end of the world. because if Jesus was specifically meaning what they who were standing there would see they couldn't have seen all those things could they?
    Jesus was not pointing to the 70 A.D. destruction of Jerusalem. He was pointing to the destruction of the buildings on the temple mount, which is what His disciples asked Him about:

    Matt 24:1-3
    24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and His disciples came to him for to shew Him the buildings of the temple.
    2 And Jesus said unto them, "See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."


    So if you're going to try and claim this conversation has already been done, you've got another thing coming. What you are following instead wants to bypass what the simple Scripture is showing.


    Matt.24:3
    3 And as He sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world?"
    KJV


    They asked Jesus about the sign of His coming, meaning His 2nd coming of course, and then about the end of this present world, for that is... when His 2nd coming will be.

    But what do the leaven doctrines of men try to do with that simple Scripture? They say, "Oh no... Jesus was talking about His disciple's day, and the coming 70 A.D. destruction of Jerusalem and the temple!"

    Absolutely not! The day of His 2nd coming was NOT in 70 A.D.! But believe it or not, there are many crazies out there in the Preterist bent that even teach the falsehood that Jesus' 2nd coming WAS back in the His Apostle's day!!! Talk about leaven doctrines of men!?*#@!



    But that's what one gets on forums like these, all sorts coming here to push the latest and greatest leaven doctrines of men they just got from some idea that just popped into their head, or from the latest seminary sermon in one of their Church organizations of men, or God knows from where else they get such ideas that leave the simplicity of God's Holy Writ.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quartzsite AZ
    Posts
    170

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by DavePeace View Post
    Jesus was not pointing to the 70 A.D. destruction of Jerusalem. He was pointing to the destruction of the buildings on the temple mount, which is what His disciples asked Him about:

    Matt 24:1-3
    24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and His disciples came to him for to shew Him the buildings of the temple.
    2 And Jesus said unto them, "See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."


    So if you're going to try and claim this conversation has already been done, you've got another thing coming. What you are following instead wants to bypass what the simple Scripture is showing.


    Matt.24:3
    3 And as He sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world?"
    KJV


    They asked Jesus about the sign of His coming, meaning His 2nd coming of course, and then about the end of this present world, for that is... when His 2nd coming will be.

    But what do the leaven doctrines of men try to do with that simple Scripture? They say, "Oh no... Jesus was talking about His disciple's day, and the coming 70 A.D. destruction of Jerusalem and the temple!"

    Absolutely not! The day of His 2nd coming was NOT in 70 A.D.! But believe it or not, there are many crazies out there in the Preterist bent that even teach the falsehood that Jesus' 2nd coming WAS back in the His Apostle's day!!! Talk about leaven doctrines of men!?*#@!



    But that's what one gets on forums like these, all sorts coming here to push the latest and greatest leaven doctrines of men they just got from some idea that just popped into their head, or from the latest seminary sermon in one of their Church organizations of men, or God knows from where else they get such ideas that leave the simplicity of God's Holy Writ.
    nope they also asked about the temple or buildings of the temple same difference buildings of the temple would be the temple. of which they asked "Tell us, when shall these things be?" they asked three questions not two. "These things" would be the subject at hand which was established in the previous verses.

    you like everyone else here has tried to make the obvious text fit their theories, or the latest greats prevailing theories, of other prophesies, rather than read it as it is. using English that was used the time KJV was translated.

    again the act of generating is the primary definition of the British use of generation. maybe not the modern use, but the primary definition.
    Let there be Light

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,518

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Indeed, which is DEFINED by the CONTEXT which has EVERYTHING from the destruction of the temple TO His return.
    This is why your claim about "this generation" meaning 70 AD is ONLY held by Preterists.
    Everyone else recognises the problem in claiming it means people alive at the time because they will NOT see all these things.
    So, the same guy who says I define "out" as "in" tells me that "generation" means "all times?" If the word "generation" does not mean the lifetime of an individual then words have no meaning at all. And again, you revert to mention of Preterists, which as I've noted repeatedly has no place in my statement. As I've said over and over the Early Church Fathers believed that "this generation" literally meant "this generation," and that the AoD was historically fulfilled. This is *not* Preterism, which is a belief system and system of eschatological interpretation that did not even exist during the time of the ECFs! And historical interpretations of biblical prophecies are as normal as seeing the prophecies of Babylonian Captivity literally fulfilled! Nobody would deny that. And those who claimed that would never be called Preterists!

    Your argument that "generation" does not mean a iteral lifetime of a person is a very weak, and in fact, absurd argument. I'm not surprised you want to go back to referencing Preterism. If you can't win by simple persuasion, you resort to bomb throwing. It doesn't do your cause any good.

    Saying Jesus' generation would not see things does not mean that Jesus was not talking about his own generation. Obviously, the reverse is true. He was saying his own literal generation would not see certain things, namely the 2nd Coming or more of the time of Jesus on earth before that event. What Jesus was *not saying* is that his own generation would *not see* the AoD. The whole point of referring to his own literal generation was to explain to them that this event would happen in their own time, so that they had to prepare for it.

    I hope you change your mode of operation, because it's getting repetitive. What you can't achieve by simple reason and Christian love you turn into name-calling and insult. That won't win you any points with me. What convinces me you're worth arguing with is you bring up legitimate arguments. The "insult" part cheapens your approach, brother. And I wish you would get a handle on it?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    So, the same guy who says I define "out" as "in" tells me that "generation" means "all times?" If the word "generation" does not mean the lifetime of an individual then words have no meaning at all.
    Wow, do you NOT know the meaning of the word generation after having discussed it so often?

    As given in the OP the word "generation" means one who is generated.
    For me Jesus is speaking to Jews and so when He says "this generation" He is speaking of Jews.
    Now some take it to be wicked people and I understand that.
    Otherwise take a totally different meaning of generation and I understand that as well.
    However ONLY ONE meaning fits what is stated.
    That ONE meaning is when the word generation means "a group from the same genes".
    Your version, which Preterists use, is immediately known to be wrong, because then the PEOPLE alive at that time would NOT see ALL these things, but ONLY some of those things.
    Likewise the Futurists, who make it ALL about the future, is known to be wrong, because then the PEOPLE alive in the FUTURE would NOT see the events of 70 AD.

    Preterists and Futurists and anyone who takes either views definitions are IMMEDIATELY seen as wrong BECAUSE Jesus said "ALL these things".
    This is NOT possible to be seen by any one person alive.
    However when we recognise that the word can not only mean a people living at the same time, but mean a group of one source, then we find taht we have a DEFINITION which actually fits scripture.

    So UNLIKE the claim IN means OUT, I am simply given supporting the OP which gives a REAL and FACTUALLY recognised meaning from a dictionary without claiming it is the opposite of its meaning.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    138

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by DPMartin View Post
    nope they also asked about the temple or buildings of the temple same difference buildings of the temple would be the temple. of which they asked "Tell us, when shall these things be?" they asked three questions not two. "These things" would be the subject at hand which was established in the previous verses.

    you like everyone else here has tried to make the obvious text fit their theories, or the latest greats prevailing theories, of other prophesies, rather than read it as it is. using English that was used the time KJV was translated.

    again the act of generating is the primary definition of the British use of generation. maybe not the modern use, but the primary definition.
    What you just said doesn't make sense. I stated clearly that they asked Jesus about the 'temple buildings' and NOT Jerusalem. I showed the Scripture as backup. All you did was agree... with that. You also agree that they asked Him about His coming and the end of the world, which is... the timeframe of "these things" Jesus was talking about, and is WHY... they asked Him about the future event of His coming and end of this world. I covered the Scripture as written, in simplicity, and did not add anything. Yet you try to twist it to conform to men's ideas, especially Preterism if you believe He was speaking of 70 A.D. for the fulfillment of those things.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,518

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Wow, do you NOT know the meaning of the word generation after having discussed it so often?

    As given in the OP the word "generation" means one who is generated.
    No, a word means what it means *in context.* You are using a different meaning of the word "generation." In context, Jesus is referring to a person's lifetime, and not to something like a power generation plant.

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory
    For me Jesus is speaking to Jews and so when He says "this generation" He is speaking of Jews.
    Now some take it to be wicked people and I understand that.
    Otherwise take a totally different meaning of generation and I understand that as well.
    However ONLY ONE meaning fits what is stated.
    That ONE meaning is when the word generation means "a group from the same genes".
    Your version, which Preterists use, is immediately known to be wrong, because then the PEOPLE alive at that time would NOT see ALL these things, but ONLY some of those things.
    Likewise the Futurists, who make it ALL about the future, is known to be wrong, because then the PEOPLE alive in the FUTURE would NOT see the events of 70 AD.
    It's really ill-advised for you to regularly go back to the "Preterist" thing. But you are who you will be, I suppose? Preterism has nothing to do with defining "generation" as the lifetime of a person. That is the normal meaning of the word, as used by people every day. They are not all "Preterists!"

    No, "generation" is not just a group of wicked Jews. It is the life time of the people living in the time Jesus said these things. Context matters, brother.

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory
    Preterists and Futurists and anyone who takes either views definitions are IMMEDIATELY seen as wrong BECAUSE Jesus said "ALL these things".
    This is NOT possible to be seen by any one person alive.
    However when we recognise that the word can not only mean a people living at the same time, but mean a group of one source, then we find taht we have a DEFINITION which actually fits scripture.
    What do you mean it is "impossible" to see the 70 AD event by one alive in Jesus' time? That is patently wrong! Clearly, there were people alive when Jesus gave the OD who were also alive in 70 AD! Jesus certainly did not say *everybody* alive during the OD would be alive in 70 AD!


    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory
    So UNLIKE the claim IN means OUT, I am simply given supporting the OP which gives a REAL and FACTUALLY recognised meaning from a dictionary without claiming it is the opposite of its meaning.
    I think "generation" can mean other things. And obviously a good number try to apply "generation" in unnatural ways in this controversial passage. But I think this is wrong for the reasons mentioned. The normal meaning of the word, the "lifetime of a person," fits perfectly well in context, and likely indicates what Jesus meant. When asked *when* the temple would be destroyed, it is likely that he answered, *it will be in this generation,* meaning within the lifetime of people living at that time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    No, a word means what it means *in context.* You are using a different meaning of the word "generation." In context, Jesus is referring to a person's lifetime, and not to something like a power generation plant.
    The argument though is that I am saying you have the CONTEXT wrong. This is because YOU derive YOUR CONTEXT from HOW you understand "generation". I don't. I derive CONTEXT from everything that is said in the passage. This then shows me what meaning to give to the word "generation".

    It's really ill-advised for you to regularly go back to the "Preterist" thing. But you are who you will be, I suppose? Preterism has nothing to do with defining "generation" as the lifetime of a person. That is the normal meaning of the word, as used by people every day. They are not all "Preterists!"

    No, "generation" is not just a group of wicked Jews. It is the life time of the people living in the time Jesus said these things. Context matters, brother.
    It is the Preterists who derive the CONTEXT from the meaning of the word "generation" which is EXACTLY what you are doing.
    The word generation does have various meanings, and yet you do NOT USE the common meaning, but one which means ANYONE alive at the time of someone else.
    It is a possible meaning, but that is all.
    My meaning is also not common, but it is also a possible meaning.
    The difference is that my meaning is derived from ALL these things, whereas you change it to SOME of these things.

    What do you mean it is "impossible" to see the 70 AD event by one alive in Jesus' time? That is patently wrong! Clearly, there were people alive when Jesus gave the OD who were also alive in 70 AD! Jesus certainly did not say *everybody* alive during the OD would be alive in 70 AD!
    Did you NOT read what I put.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to see BOTH 70 AD and a FUTURE coming of Jesus. No one has lived that long, no matter what you believe about the Holy Grail.
    It is patently TRUE.
    Jesus DID say, "this generation will see ALL these things" which means ALL these things and NOT SOME of these things.

    I think "generation" can mean other things. And obviously a good number try to apply "generation" in unnatural ways in this controversial passage. But I think this is wrong for the reasons mentioned. The normal meaning of the word, the "lifetime of a person," fits perfectly well in context, and likely indicates what Jesus meant. When asked *when* the temple would be destroyed, it is likely that he answered, *it will be in this generation,* meaning within the lifetime of people living at that time.
    You don't use the normal meaning. Nor does it fit. It is absurd to claim it does. However many do make absurd claims so this is not a unique thing. Usually though those claims are made because a person hasn't reasoned things through.
    The normal meaning of generation is NOT "the lifetime of a person". This is an unusual meaning. You found one example in all of scripture, and even that is open to debate.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,518

    Re: This generation shall not pass

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    The argument though is that I am saying you have the CONTEXT wrong. This is because YOU derive YOUR CONTEXT from HOW you understand "generation". I don't. I derive CONTEXT from everything that is said in the passage. This then shows me what meaning to give to the word "generation".
    This is where I believe you go wrong. If you start with the normal meaning of "generation" it would make sense to you. I know that because it honestly makes sense to me. I don't have to do acrobatic flips to do this. It *naturally* makes sense to me if I begin with a normal understanding of "generation," meaning the lifetime of a person. Jesus was answering the question "when will the temple fall" with the answer: it will fall in "this generation." That is a very natural way to look at it. And from history we know that it's true. The temple fell in the lifetime of those who heard Jesus predict this event!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 1st 2016, 09:18 PM
  2. Replies: 53
    Last Post: Nov 6th 2016, 04:24 PM
  3. Replies: 175
    Last Post: Jul 7th 2015, 03:52 AM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last Post: Oct 5th 2010, 02:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •