Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Evidence For a Flood

Blog Entries

Re: Evidence For a Flood

Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    The whole tectonic plate theory is so ridiculous
    Wait, are you saying tectonic plates themselves are fake or just that they didn't play a role in the flood? Sorry I've been following the thread from a distance, lol.

The whole tectonic plate theory is so ridiculous
    Wait, are you saying tectonic plates themselves are fake or just that they didn't play a role in the flood? Sorry I've been following the thread from a distance, lol.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    I think they are a fake as a lot of human « science » are fake or half truths. Even if the hydroplate theory has a lot of mistakes in them at least they connect to Scripture. The idea the earth is 4.5 billion years old as this theory says — they have to, to make people believe we are all floating on liquid magma and it takes for ever for the continents to float apart — is so ridiculous I don't even want to talk about it.

Aristarkos

I think they are a fake as a lot of human « science » are fake or half truths. Even if the hydroplate theory has a lot of mistakes in them at least they connect to Scripture. The idea the earth is 4.5 billion years old as this theory says — they have to, to make people believe we are all floating on liquid magma and it takes for ever for the continents to float apart — is so ridiculous I don't even want to talk about it.

Aristarkos
    OK. Can't say I've run into many people that deny that plate tectonics, especially as there is boatloads of physical evidence for that (i.e. seismic, GPS) . If you don't want to talk about it that's fine, but it's surprising you would even advance Hydroplate since that is one YEC explanation for the current tectonic setting. The big three YEC groups (AiG, ICR, CMI) do not deny plate tectonics. It is an absolutely fundamental tenet of modern geological understanding of the earth and has incredible explanatory and predictive power.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Blog Entries

Aristarkos
    Do you also believe the Earth is flat? Not being rude, just curious.

Aristarkos

Blog Entries

If you're not rude, it could be insulting if I were the sensitive type. I think you know the answer to this question.

Aristarkos

Blog Entries

If you're not rude, it could be insulting if I were the sensitive type. I think you know the answer to this question.

Aristarkos
    Not meant to be an insult at all. If you don't believe in tectonic plates, nothing else related to geology can be taken for granted that you accept.

Blog Entries

Not meant to be an insult at all. If you don't believe in tectonic plates, nothing else related to geology can be taken for granted that you accept.
    I wonder how you get from not believing in tectonic plates, to a flat earth. I see zero connection.

Aristarkos

I wonder how you get from not believing in tectonic plates, to a flat earth. I see zero connection.

Aristarkos
    They are related in the sense of denial of reality.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    They are related in the sense of denial of reality.
    Seriously?

Aristarkos

Seriously?

Aristarkos
    Yes, seriously. But apparently you did not want to talk about, and I don't foresee any fruitful discussion coming from you.

Blog Entries

Aristarkos
    They're both fundamental to understanding what the Earth is. If you reject science on volcanoes and earthquakes, I figured the planet surface might be in question too since it's also related to the plates.

Yuma, AZ where chocolate melts in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    OK. Can't say I've run into many people that deny that plate tectonics, especially as there is boatloads of physical evidence for that (i.e. seismic, GPS) . If you don't want to talk about it that's fine, but it's surprising you would even advance Hydroplate since that is one YEC explanation for the current tectonic setting. The big three YEC groups (AiG, ICR, CMI) do not deny plate tectonics. It is an absolutely fundamental tenet of modern geological understanding of the earth and has incredible explanatory and predictive power.
    For a very long time it was an absolutely fundamental tenet of modern geological understanding that every detail of Earth's history had been uniformly unchanging forever.

What is absolutely amazing is that science has s**t on itself so much and people still believe any crap that is published in the name of science. What we call science is simply whatever scientists believe at the moment. Science changes when old believers die and are replaced by new believers with different theories. We believe the germ theory of disease because all the believers in the humour theory died. Vitamin therapy is not accepted because all the people who believe the germ theory have not died yet. Tectonic theories were considered junk science until all the uniformitarians had died. In all of this there is nothing that suggests that one theory was right and the other was wrong, except for hand washing. That was pretty obvious. Germ theory caught on after the microscope was invented and people could see the little critters.

Truth is always up for a vote and don't you forget it. What you get for "science" depends entirely on who gets grant money and who doesn't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
    For a very long time it was an absolutely fundamental tenet of modern geological understanding that every detail of Earth's history had been uniformly unchanging forever.

What is absolutely amazing is that science has s**t on itself so much and people still believe any crap that is published in the name of science. What we call science is simply whatever scientists believe at the moment. Science changes when old believers die and are replaced by new believers with different theories. We believe the germ theory of disease because all the believers in the humour theory died. Vitamin therapy is not accepted because all the people who believe the germ theory have not died yet. Tectonic theories were considered junk science until all the uniformitarians had died. In all of this there is nothing that suggests that one theory was right and the other was wrong, except for hand washing. That was pretty obvious. Germ theory caught on after the microscope was invented and people could see the little critters.

Truth is always up for a vote and don't you forget it. What you get for "science" depends entirely on who gets grant money and who doesn't.
    While I get that science isn’t as tidy as we’d all like, this seems simplistic. Electron theory seems to be lasting through multiple generations.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector View Post

Yes, all scientific findings are conditional, but its not because we have a bunch of believers in one theory that die off. You'll have to back that statement up with something other than empty rhetoric.

I think you made a mistake when you stated: "Tectonic theories were considered junk science until all the uniformitarians had died. ". Did you mean catastrophists? Anyway, us geologists of course recognize the slow, steady processes are the dominant processes that shape and transform the earth's surface, but can be interspersed with catastrophic processes from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    I don't feel the rhetoric was insulting, if someone is trying to engage you in discussion, and you gloss over their points without even a moment's curiosity as to what they are actually saying, then you are literally wasting their time because the discussion becomes pointless. I pointed that out. The problem is not that you didn't know about the PT boundary, but you showed no interest in my repeated fact that there were just a few insignificant mountain ranges back then for the flood to cover over.
    I may miss things yes. But in most cases I find people get impatient because they *assume* you don't understand, when actually you do. I don't think anybody here is wasting anybody's time. Most folks here are quite thoughtful.

As to mountain ranges, my answer is and was that there was no perfect sphere of the earth back in 4-5000 BC. The Scriptural account in fact mentions high mountain ranges in the time of the Flood. That should suffice to show that the earth was not a perfect sphere--not even close. And if you don't accept the dating of rocks, why even argue anything from science?

Thread Information