Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Believers and Restitution

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    13

    Believers and Restitution

    God impressed upon ancient Israel not to remove the ancient landmark which their fathers have set Prov 22:8. But what is this 'landmark' and how does it transcend to the non-Jewish international church? The landmark evidently is not a physical delineation of lands given to Israel, rather it denotes the series of godly precepts handed down by tradition to Israel. It includes God's covenant with the Patriarchs, the Law through Moses, etc.

    God considers any relationship with him devoid of his statutes and laws as removing the landmarks (Job 24: 2-4). Christian landmark removal must, therefore, be restored by restitution. Some Christians erroneously teach that restitution has been taken away by the OT laws and ordinances since we are no longer under the law. While the ceremonial laws of sacrifices and offerings for cleansing and forgiveness have been abrogated, the law of sin and Christian relationship between believers to which restitution belongs, still remain in force.

    Jesus taught the need to mend the old fences, restore stolen, lost and found items - a seal of the doctrine of restitution (1 John 4:20.)

    Luke 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. 9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, for so much as he also is a son of Abraham.

    Matt 5:23Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
    24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.



    • Restitution is necessary to avert God's judgment on the cheat and the fraudulent.
    • To maintain a clean conscience (John 3:20-21; Acts 24:16)


    1. What are your thoughts?
    2. Can you name a few vices among Christians that require restitution which Believers should be aware of and refrain from?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,545

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    God impressed upon ancient Israel not to remove the ancient landmark which their fathers have set Prov 22:8. But what is this 'landmark' and how does it transcend to the non-Jewish international church? The landmark evidently is not a physical delineation of lands given to Israel, rather it denotes the series of godly precepts handed down by tradition to Israel. It includes God's covenant with the Patriarchs, the Law through Moses, etc.

    God considers any relationship with him devoid of his statutes and laws as removing the landmarks (Job 24: 2-4). Christian landmark removal must, therefore, be restored by restitution. Some Christians erroneously teach that restitution has been taken away by the OT laws and ordinances since we are no longer under the law. While the ceremonial laws of sacrifices and offerings for cleansing and forgiveness have been abrogated, the law of sin and Christian relationship between believers to which restitution belongs, still remain in force.

    Jesus taught the need to mend the old fences, restore stolen, lost and found items - a seal of the doctrine of restitution (1 John 4:20.)

    Luke 19:8 [FONT="]And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. [/FONT]9 [FONT="]And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, [/FONT][FONT="]for so much[/FONT][FONT="] as he also is a son of Abraham.[/FONT]

    Matt 5:23[FONT="]Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;[/FONT]
    [FONT="]24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

    [/FONT]


    • Restitution is necessary to avert God's judgment on the cheat and the fraudulent.
    • To maintain a clean conscience (John 3:20-21; Acts 24:16)


    1. What are your thoughts?
    2. Can you name a few vices among Christians that require restitution which Believers should be aware of and refrain from?
    Hoping not to dampen your thread, I must say that your language is difficult. Without giving scriptures you seek to impose the Laws regarding Landmarks allegorically on the Church. But then you revert to the Law in paragraph 2 stating that "any relationship with him devoid of his statutes and laws as removing the landmarks (Job 24: 2-4)." But Galatians and Colossians both vehemently warn the Christian not to get involved in the "statutes", and Colossians 2:4 even says that they were nailed to the cross. So, if I get the meaning of your posting wrong, just ignore my answer.

    I will answer as if you did not write the "Landmark" portion and go straight to Christians requiring, or claiming RESTITUTION.

    The bottom line is that the Christian has no claim on restitution. That does not mean that justice will not ultimately be served. But that justice is a DEFERRED Justice. That is, justice will come - but not immediately. So, in the Christian's relationship with the world Matthew 5:38-42 is clear.

    38 "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
    39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
    40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
    41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
    42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away."


    Luke 6:35 goes even further. "But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil."

    The reason why God demands this seeming injustice is very simple. Israel was to display God's JUSTICE and RIGHTEOUSNESS. The Law demanded instant retribution and RESTITUTION. But now, in our age, God's plan is that men be RECONCILED TO HIM. He extends the hand of peace and goodwill. He is prepared to set aside all their offenses to Him. And so His disciples MUST BE A TESTIMONY OF THIS. 2nd Corinthians 5:18 says; "And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation." The Christian must be prepared to suffer loss for God's plan with mankind. RESTITUTION is a part of the Law. Waiving RESTITUTION is the requirement of God for the disciple of Jesus.

    But it is DIFFERENT IN THE CHURCH.

    When one BROTHER causes hurt and/or loss to another BROTHER, God requires it to be sorted out. The reason for this is that the Church is His display case since Israel's removal as His testimony. WITHIN the Church, God requires the highest standard of justice and righteousness. When our Lord Jesus introduces the Church for the first time, He lays TWO foundations: (i) Resurrection. The Gates of Hades will not hinder the building of the Church. Death, when a man's physical body is dissolved, will be put aside and the Church built. (ii) The "Keys of the kingdom". That is, any man judged to be damaging to the Church and who is chastised, his chastisement is equally valid in the coming Millennial Kingdom. The second time our Lord Jesus introduces the Kingdom, He institutes its GOVERNMENT - how the KEYS work! And He, of all the important things He could have said about the Church, He chooses RIGHTEOUSNESS.

    If a brother offends another brother, the offended brother must approach the offending brother privately about the matter. To give reality, her is a parable. Brother Joe is careless on Sunday morning, and in removing his car from the church parking lot, he damages brother Jim's expensive car. Two other sisters witnessed the "hit and run". Jim must now approach Joe and tell him that he has damaged his car to the tune of $2,330.00. But brother Joe is a poor brother with a wife and four hungry children. One of TWO things will happen;
    1. Joe will deny that he damaged Jim's car and that he won't pay for any damages. If he does that, Jim must make an appointment with Joe and invite the two sisters. In front of the two sisters, Jim will tell the story and the sisters will confirm it. Joe still denies it. So next Sunday, at a full Assembly, Jim will address the Church with his problem. The sisters will testify that it is true. Joe still denies it. The Church must excommunicate Joe. He is to be treated like the heathen - the unbeliever. And this sentence will be carried forward to the judgement seat of Christ. Joe will be refused entry into the Millennial Kingdom.
    2. Joe is a poor brother and readily admits that he was careless and is responsible for the damage. He also admits that he does not have the money for the repair. Jim now becomes the main player. He has TWO options. (i) He can demand the repair and Joe' and his family will have to miss some meals, turn of the heating and walk to work. Or (ii) he, being well off enough to have an expensive car, can forgive Joe both the offense AND the bill. THIS is the highest testimony possible. Jim has been offended. The offense is admitted, but Jim WAIVES RESTITUTION because he has COMPASSION on a sinner who could not pay. He has testified of God's goodness because that is what God did for him. All Jim's sins and offenses were set on Jesus' shoulders, and Jim got off scott-free. Now he testifies of God's plan of salvation and reconciliation. He was DUE RESTITUTION but waived it because of compassion. Jim will never see the money. He will be $2,330.00 poorer, but he has an account in heaven that will be credited with $10,000 worth of credit. And when the great and fateful day of Christ's Judgement Seat arrives, Jim will hear most comforting and exciting words; "Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities" (Luke 19:17).

    The Christian has claim on RESTITUTION, but he is asked by his Lord and Master to FORGO IT, and even to WAIVE IT for the sake of the gospel.

    And now the punch line. You mentioned the Law and its statutes. If an Israelite DOES NOT insist on RESTITUTION, and the offending person escapes, HAS NOT GOD'S TESTIMONY OF JUSTICE BEEN TRASHED? The Jew represents, and is governed by LAW and the Law demands RESTITUTION AND PUNITIVE DAMAGES. Leviticus 6:1-7.

    1 "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    2 If a soul sin, and commit a trespass against the LORD, and lie unto his neighbour in that which was delivered him to keep, or in fellowship, or in a thing taken away by violence, or hath deceived his neighbour;
    3 Or have found that which was lost, and lieth concerning it, and sweareth falsely; in any of all these that a man doeth, sinning therein:
    4 Then it shall be, because he hath sinned, and is guilty, that he shall restore that which he took violently away, or the thing which he hath deceitfully gotten, or that which was delivered him to keep, or the lost thing which he found,
    5 Or all that about which he hath sworn falsely; he shall even restore it in the principal, and shall add the fifth part more thereto, and give it unto him to whom it appertaineth, in the day of his trespass offering.
    6 And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD, a ram without blemish out of the flock, with thy estimation, for a trespass offering, unto the priest:
    7 And the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD: and it shall be forgiven him for any thing of all that he hath done in trespassing therein."


    The Jew must INSIST on the statutes. He represents God's JUSTICE! The Christian must waive his right. He is GOVERNED by GRACE. The Lord will take RETRIBUTION when the Kingdom is ushered in. And the Lord will make RESTITUTION at the Judgement seat - again, in the Kingdom. It is FATAL to mix the Law with Christian principles!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,505
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    This is interesting. It ties in with a theft (pretty large theft) I went through a couple of months ago. After a couple months of struggling with all the emotions that go along with that, I forgave the thief (thieves) and prayed for their salvation.

    That removed all their obligation for restoration, but more important, if they do repent and turn to Jesus, justice for my loss is no longer required of them. Their sin against me is forgiven. Now they need God's forgiveness.

    The Law is still in effect for the unrepentant. They WILL be judged for their deeds. I don't want anyone to perish over my loss. I'd rather see them redeemed.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    30,982
    Blog Entries
    94

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    This is interesting. It ties in with a theft (pretty large theft) I went through a couple of months ago. After a couple months of struggling with all the emotions that go along with that, I forgave the thief (thieves) and prayed for their salvation.

    That removed all their obligation for restoration, but more important, if they do repent and turn to Jesus, justice for my loss is no longer required of them. Their sin against me is forgiven. Now they need God's forgiveness.

    The Law is still in effect for the unrepentant. They WILL be judged for their deeds. I don't want anyone to perish over my loss. I'd rather see them redeemed.
    Amen brother. So many Christians fail to "just forgive."
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    This is interesting. It ties in with a theft (pretty large theft) I went through a couple of months ago. After a couple months of struggling with all the emotions that go along with that, I forgave the thief (thieves) and prayed for their salvation.

    That removed all their obligation for restoration, but more important, if they do repent and turn to Jesus, justice for my loss is no longer required of them. Their sin against me is forgiven. Now they need God's forgiveness.

    The Law is still in effect for the unrepentant. They WILL be judged for their deeds. I don't want anyone to perish over my loss. I'd rather see them redeemed.
    Your action is this situation encapsulates our calling not only to love but to forgive those that wronged us. Its reward is more valuable than revenge or unforgiveness.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,505
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    And that reward is peace.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Hoping not to dampen your thread, I must say that your language is difficult. Without giving scriptures you seek to impose the Laws regarding Landmarks allegorically on the Church. But then you revert to the Law in paragraph 2 stating that "any relationship with him devoid of his statutes and laws as removing the landmarks (Job 24: 2-4)." But Galatians and Colossians both vehemently warn the Christian not to get involved in the "statutes", and Colossians 2:4 even says that they were nailed to the cross. So, if I get the meaning of your posting wrong, just ignore my answer.
    Your comment and critique are always welcome. The problem with some Christians when the 'Law and Statutes' is mentioned is their tendency to assume that the law is limited to those aspects we now consider obsolete. But we know the law is much more than that because even our Lord Jesus said he did not come to destroy, but to fulfill the law (Matt 5:17).

    That said, I am surprised you said I didn't provide scriptural backup, given that the several passages posted? For example, I used Job 24:2-4 to highlight the 'landmark' I had in mind after clarifying that it is not about the lands given to Israel.

    Job 24:2 Some remove the landmarks; they violently take away flocks, and feed thereof. 3 They drive away the ass of the fatherless, they take the widow's ox for a pledge.

    4 They turn the needy out of the way: the poor of the earth hide themselves together.


    The above is a clear reference to the landmark in mind. While Job lived in the OT, no one can, however, argue that the evildoing listed herein is not enduring even onto the church today? I suppose you didn't bother to read Job 24:2-4, because if you had you would have realized that your reference to statutes and Col 2:4 is unnecessary.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    I will answer as if you did not write the "Landmark" portion and go straight to Christians requiring, or claiming RESTITUTION.

    The bottom line is that the Christian has no claim on restitution. That does not mean that justice will not ultimately be served. But that justice is a DEFERRED Justice. That is, justice will come - but not immediately. So, in the Christian's relationship with the world Matthew 5:38-42 is clear.

    38 "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
    39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
    40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
    41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
    42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away."


    Luke 6:35 goes even further. "But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil."

    The reason why God demands this seeming injustice is very simple. Israel was to display God's JUSTICE and RIGHTEOUSNESS. The Law demanded instant retribution and RESTITUTION. But now, in our age, God's plan is that men be RECONCILED TO HIM. He extends the hand of peace and goodwill. He is prepared to set aside all their offenses to Him. And so His disciples MUST BE A TESTIMONY OF THIS. 2nd Corinthians 5:18 says; "And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation." The Christian must be prepared to suffer loss for God's plan with mankind. RESTITUTION is a part of the Law. Waiving RESTITUTION is the requirement of God for the disciple of Jesus.
    It is fair to say you misunderstood my case for "restitution". While your argument above is valid, you apparently disregarded the other side of the coin. Therefore, the claim that the Christian "has no claim to restitution" is unfounded. You erred by failing to consider a balanced review of restitution because your position is based solely on the victim, given your supporting literature (Matt 5:38-42; Luke 6:35) and ignored the Christian perpetrator.

    But here is what Jesus said about the believer who himself has wronged another.

    Matt 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

    Luke 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. 9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

    Did you hear Zacchaeus and how Jesus replied to him? Is this example limited to the OT or enduring in the Church today? I suppose your claim that the church has no claim to restitution is because you see it as a one-way street.

    But it is DIFFERENT IN THE CHURCH.

    When one BROTHER causes hurt and/or loss to another BROTHER, God requires it to be sorted out. The reason for this is that the Church is His display case since Israel's removal as His testimony. WITHIN the Church, God requires the highest standard of justice and righteousness. When our Lord Jesus introduces the Church for the first time, He lays TWO foundations: (i) Resurrection. The Gates of Hades will not hinder the building of the Church. Death, when a man's physical body is dissolved, will be put aside and the Church built. (ii) The "Keys of the kingdom". That is, any man judged to be damaging to the Church and who is chastised, his chastisement is equally valid in the coming Millennial Kingdom. The second time our Lord Jesus introduces the Kingdom, He institutes its GOVERNMENT - how the KEYS work! And He, of all the important things He could have said about the Church, He chooses RIGHTEOUSNESS.

    If a brother offends another brother, the offended brother must approach the offending brother privately about the matter. To give reality, her is a parable. Brother Joe is careless on Sunday morning, and in removing his car from the church parking lot, he damages brother Jim's expensive car. Two other sisters witnessed the "hit and run". Jim must now approach Joe and tell him that he has damaged his car to the tune of $2,330.00. But brother Joe is a poor brother with a wife and four hungry children. One of TWO things will happen;
    1. Joe will deny that he damaged Jim's car and that he won't pay for any damages. If he does that, Jim must make an appointment with Joe and invite the two sisters. In front of the two sisters, Jim will tell the story and the sisters will confirm it. Joe still denies it. So next Sunday, at a full Assembly, Jim will address the Church with his problem. The sisters will testify that it is true. Joe still denies it. The Church must excommunicate Joe. He is to be treated like the heathen - the unbeliever. And this sentence will be carried forward to the judgement seat of Christ. Joe will be refused entry into the Millennial Kingdom.
    2. Joe is a poor brother and readily admits that he was careless and is responsible for the damage. He also admits that he does not have the money for the repair. Jim now becomes the main player. He has TWO options. (i) He can demand the repair and Joe' and his family will have to miss some meals, turn of the heating and walk to work. Or (ii) he, being well off enough to have an expensive car, can forgive Joe both the offense AND the bill. THIS is the highest testimony possible. Jim has been offended. The offense is admitted, but Jim WAIVES RESTITUTION because he has COMPASSION on a sinner who could not pay. He has testified of God's goodness because that is what God did for him. All Jim's sins and offenses were set on Jesus' shoulders, and Jim got off scott-free. Now he testifies of God's plan of salvation and reconciliation. He was DUE RESTITUTION but waived it because of compassion. Jim will never see the money. He will be $2,330.00 poorer, but he has an account in heaven that will be credited with $10,000 worth of credit. And when the great and fateful day of Christ's Judgement Seat arrives, Jim will hear most comforting and exciting words; "Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities" (Luke 19:17).

    The Christian has claim on RESTITUTION, but he is asked by his Lord and Master to FORGO IT, and even to WAIVE IT for the sake of the gospel.

    And now the punch line. You mentioned the Law and its statutes. If an Israelite DOES NOT insist on RESTITUTION, and the offending person escapes, HAS NOT GOD'S TESTIMONY OF JUSTICE BEEN TRASHED? The Jew represents, and is governed by LAW and the Law demands RESTITUTION AND PUNITIVE DAMAGES. Leviticus 6:1-7.

    1 "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    2 If a soul sin, and commit a trespass against the LORD, and lie unto his neighbour in that which was delivered him to keep, or in fellowship, or in a thing taken away by violence, or hath deceived his neighbour;
    3 Or have found that which was lost, and lieth concerning it, and sweareth falsely; in any of all these that a man doeth, sinning therein:
    4 Then it shall be, because he hath sinned, and is guilty, that he shall restore that which he took violently away, or the thing which he hath deceitfully gotten, or that which was delivered him to keep, or the lost thing which he found,
    5 Or all that about which he hath sworn falsely; he shall even restore it in the principal, and shall add the fifth part more thereto, and give it unto him to whom it appertaineth, in the day of his trespass offering.
    6 And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD, a ram without blemish out of the flock, with thy estimation, for a trespass offering, unto the priest:
    7 And the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD: and it shall be forgiven him for any thing of all that he hath done in trespassing therein."


    The Jew must INSIST on the statutes. He represents God's JUSTICE! The Christian must waive his right. He is GOVERNED by GRACE. The Lord will take RETRIBUTION when the Kingdom is ushered in. And the Lord will make RESTITUTION at the Judgement seat - again, in the Kingdom. It is FATAL to mix the Law with Christian principles!
    While I acknowledge the validity of your analogy of using Brothers Jim and Joe, I also presented a different view sanctioned by Jesus himself and therefore worthy of consideration too. See the exchange between Jesus and Zacchaeus. Restitution also is about asking for forgiveness as demonstrated by the admonition that an offering will not be accepted if one has not reconciled with his brother hitherto.

    All in all, if all these facets are taken into consideration, only then can we begin to understand the full Christian concept of restitution.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,545

    Re: Believers and Restitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    It is fair to say you misunderstood my case for "restitution". While your argument above is valid, you apparently disregarded the other side of the coin. Therefore, the claim that the Christian "has no claim to restitution" is unfounded. You erred by failing to consider a balanced review of restitution because your position is based solely on the victim, given your supporting literature (Matt 5:38-42; Luke 6:35) and ignored the Christian perpetrator.

    But here is what Jesus said about the believer who himself has wronged another.

    Matt 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

    Luke 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. 9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

    Did you hear Zacchaeus and how Jesus replied to him? Is this example limited to the OT or enduring in the Church today? I suppose your claim that the church has no claim to restitution is because you see it as a one-way street.



    While I acknowledge the validity of your analogy of using Brothers Jim and Joe, I also presented a different view sanctioned by Jesus himself and therefore worthy of consideration too. See the exchange between Jesus and Zacchaeus. Restitution also is about asking for forgiveness as demonstrated by the admonition that an offering will not be accepted if one has not reconciled with his brother hitherto.

    All in all, if all these facets are taken into consideration, only then can we begin to understand the full Christian concept of restitution.
    OK. Considering I really did not know exactly what you were getting at, I got away lightly. The interested readers have something to think about. I think I'll let my posting stand.

    You only produced two scriptures to show restitution. Just how difficult your thesis is, I will show. March 2019 will bring an unwanted anniversary for me. 23 years ago I was excommunicated from a Church I had been a member of for 14 years. The charge: I had taught as a guest in another Church in a country 5,000 miles away without the permission of the Elders. The details of the process are unimportant except to say that I was not given the due process commanded by our Lord Jesus in Matthew 18. Also unimportant was the suffering over the years from this event, but both the Elders who excommunicated me by letter KNEW I had something against them. They have continued unabated to bring their "gifts to the altar" and I am still in the Wilderness. Pray, tell me how, if they had a change of heart, they would RESTORE my 23 years?

    As to Zacchaeus, you have perhaps walked into a minefield. Try to answer these:
    1. Under what Law did he act in restoring fourfold instead of one fifth as the Law of Moses required?
    2. If he did not follow the Law, is he not a Statute-breaker?
    3. If he is a "Statute-breaker, how is he and his household saved?
    4. If he kept the Law, how was he and his household saved? Is not salvation by faith?
    5. If he was saved is not his status changed from son of Abraham to son of God by the rebirth?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov 25th 2018, 01:32 AM
  2. Need Advice: Restitution torment
    By firework in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 22nd 2011, 05:30 PM
  3. Believers.
    By MyRock in forum Praise
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 28th 2010, 06:30 AM
  4. Restitution for sins.
    By CupOfMilk in forum Growing in Christ
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan 25th 2010, 02:24 AM
  5. Restitution After Salvation
    By VerticalReality in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 15th 2007, 03:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •