Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

Blog Entries

Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I don't think that is totally accurate brother.
    It's 100% accurate. The Fed has far more power than she was ever intended to have. I'm talking about that and not just the gay marriage thing.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    This is just the same complaint people were making over protecting segregation laws. It doesn't matter that you don't like how a court rules.
    What matters is did they follow the constitution or not. Just because people make a complaint over segregation doesn't mean it was valid. There was an actual amendment passed (the 14th) that dealt with segregation and slavery directy.

Does his religion say two men/women cannot be on the same insurance plan? I've given a working alternative, but if he's not convicted enough to use his options, then maybe it was never really about religion.
    I think you know the answer to that. I won't support what the Lord calls abomination. Will you?

That's exactly what I said. You are reading my replies, aren't you? The legal definition changed - just as it has repeatedly throughout history. Here, I'll repost my question in case you missed it:

"Which, if any, functions of state-sponsored marriage could not be utilized by a gay couple?"
    I have argued from the beginning they changed the definition of marriage. You, until recently have stated they did not. Changing the definition is dangerous. They should not have the power to do it. Yes, I read your replies.

No one is stopping you from calling it a civil union.
    By law, I have to offer the same insurance to a "civil union" as I do "marriage". I am not in favor of calling it a civil union either. There should be no such thing either way, without a state approving it, or an amendment to the US constitution allowing the feds to do something about it.

The law says otherwise.
    No it doesn't. As I have repeatedly stated, the law deals with behavior. The only way someone can know, anyone can know if a person is gay is because of their behavior. Without the behavior, it is IMPOSSIBLE to discriminate because it is IMPOSSIBLE to know if someone is "gay" unless they have a behavior that lets someone else know about it. That's why they call it "coming out of the closet".

So the law, is protecting behavior. Where as the law also deals with things that are not behavior oriented, i.e. women, race, etc. These things can be identified without behavior.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    It's 100% accurate. The Fed has far more power than she was ever intended to have. I'm talking about that and not just the gay marriage thing.
    We didn't let that happen any more than I allow a burglar to rob my home. That power was taken. Now, what is required to get it back is next to impossible. That's why I think it will take revival first. Again, I see it as a Trojan horse.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    She is the most talked about congress person in the media. What exactly has she done to deserve such fame?
    Communist isn't she?
    How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don't even have the strength to turn off your TV?

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Blog Entries

What matters is did they follow the constitution or not.
    And the answer is yes, because the constitution is imperfect and needs to be updated - "AMENDMENTS." The 14th was correctly used to apply to gays. The question is whether you or any political force is willing to amend the constitution again or just lament over its faults.

By law, I have to offer the same insurance to a "civil union" as I do "marriage".
    Why should they not get the same insurance?

What matters is did they follow the constitution or not.
    And the answer is yes, because the constitution is imperfect and needs to be updated - "AMENDMENTS." The 14th was correctly used to apply to gays. The question is whether you or any political force is willing to amend the constitution again or just lament over its faults.

By law, I have to offer the same insurance to a "civil union" as I do "marriage".
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

The Constitution is the glue that holds this country together..Millions have fought and died to protect it..Veterans of World Wars I and II would have a field day arguing with those that want to see it dissolved..
    How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don't even have the strength to turn off your TV?

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Forgot to add this but i can't edit anymore..

Here is a quote by Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States:

“At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years. At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.” — Address Before the Young Men’s Lyceum, of Springfield, Illinois, January 27, 1838.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

No it wasn't Aviyah. It required a change in the definition of marriage for it to apply to them at all. The 14th applied to them already. They were able to marry, just not some abomination as "same sex relationships". If it applies like you want it to, then it also has to apply to men marrying children, multiple wives, and so on.

Your belief, IMO, is one of a "living constitution" and it is very dangerous.

Because they are not married.
    NASU

The GOP today is not near as conservative as it was back in the 80s.
    Ronald Reagan said this in the 80's about Social Security. "It's not unreasonable for people who paid into a system for decades to expect to get their money's worth--that's not an "entitlement," that's honoring a deal. We as a society must also make an ironclad commitment to providing a safety net for those who can't make one for themselves."
    Ronald Reagan probably would have been able to win his party's nomination today making statements like that.

Ronald Reagan said this in the 80's about Social Security. "It's not unreasonable for people who paid into a system for decades to expect to get their money's worth--that's not an "entitlement," that's honoring a deal. We as a society must also make an ironclad commitment to providing a safety net for those who can't make one for themselves."
    Ronald Reagan probably would have been able to win his party's nomination today making statements like that.
    For some reason I am not able to edit this post I previously made. I meant to say Ronald Reagan probably would NOT have been able to win his party's nomination making the statement he made about Social Security.

Blog Entries

If it applies like you want it to, then it also has to apply to men marrying children, multiple wives, and so on.
    Yep I agree. When those things become prominent in our culture, we'll be having the same conversation. It's already happened historically when marriage was changed regarding polygamy. How we define marriage by age isn't even established at the federal level. So yes there is a trend happening that won't be stopped unless the legal purpose is clarified and/or the constitution is changed.

Your belief, IMO, is one of a "living constitution" and it is very dangerous.
    I'm not even sure what you mean by this. Every generation in America has amended the constitution.

Because they are not married.
    Why should marriage matter for insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    In this we agee. What I don't completely agree with is that it happened because "we" let it happen. It was stolen from us.
    NASU

Yep I agree. When those things become prominent in our culture, we'll be having the same conversation. It's already happened historically when marriage was changed regarding polygamy. How we define marriage by age isn't even established at the federal level. So yes there is a trend happening that won't be stopped unless the legal purpose is clarified and/or the constitution is changed.

I'm not even sure what you mean by this. Every generation in America has amended the constitution.
    It put the above two quotes together because I want to answer them at the same time. Here's a definition for a living constitution from Wiki:

"In United States constitutional interpretation, the living Constitution (or loose constructionism) is the claim that the Constitution has a dynamic meaning or it has the properties of an animate being in the sense that it changes. The idea is associated with views that contemporaneous society should be taken into account when interpreting key constitutional phrases.[1]"

It is a slippery slope. Amending the constitution is absolutely fine and what should be done. Changing it via fiat, through court rulings is something that was never supposed to happen. It got really bad starting in the 1930s with FDR. It is what has led us to our major issues today.

Why should marriage matter for insurance?
    Why would I, as a businessman wish to pay my employee with a benefit where he/she could name as many people as he/she desired to be on the policy? I want to bless him/her. And to do so, I limit it to dependants through marriage and birth. In this way, I am also encouraging family bonds. However, the state wishes to change this meaning and force me to grant benefits to someone not married and to support something directly that is an abomination i.e. something called marriage that is not.

On the other hand, I would gladly just pay them and let them abuse the money any way they wish. However, I refuse to support directly abortion, abomination, etc. I would not sell a gun to someone I knew would commit murder any more than I will give an abortion pill benefit to an employee or a medical benifit that supported gay "marriage" or civil unions or any other such thing. Before I ever do that, I will eliminate all benefits completely. The problem is, the feds won't let the businessman do that either if he has 50 or more employees (though that may have changed recently).
    NASU

For some reason I am not able to edit this post I previously made. I meant to say Ronald Reagan probably would NOT have been able to win his party's nomination making the statement he made about Social Security.
    I voted for Reagan. I watched Jimmy Carter and President Ford before him. Reagan was making a point about Social Security that many today make as well. We would quible over the meaning of the word "entitlement". Ultimately, Reagan knew SS was a ponzi scheme and would haved like to privatize it so that people would be richer in retirement. But he had to work with a democratic majority senate for his years in office.

He most definitely was more conservative than the GOP is today. He could get elected in our primaries but no way California and New York would vote for him today as they did in 1984.
    NASU

Blog Entries

Amending the constitution is absolutely fine and what should be done. Changing it via fiat, through court rulings is something that was never supposed to happen.
    OK, in that sense I don't agree with a living constitution. The court is applying the same interpretation it did for Brown v. Board, which means the problem is with the constitution itself. The courts' correct interpretation is highlighting the fault with the 14th amendment.

Before I ever do that, I will eliminate all benefits completely. The problem is, the feds won't let the businessman do that either if he has 50 or more employees (though that may have changed recently).
    In this scenario for example, you would not be discriminating but also practicing your religious freedom. The unfortunate thing would be not being able to bless married couples. So it's a matter of, should we be fighting this hard for married benefits, or instead cut off one of many fingers that the government has in marriage? I think the better option is to get rid of the program.

Thread Information