Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting over?

Re: Starting over?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    To an extent, yes.
    Israel was separated from paganism because it was a sin for Jews to worship idols. The pagan nations, that didn't know any better? Held to a lower standard.

Being selfish and rude isn't a crime. How that nations treat the Jews? Yeah that's criminal.
    The problem with idolatry was that it gave the nations a false standard of right and wrong. It was *too lenient* a standard for mankind. The result, in the pagan world was cruelty. And thus, the nations oppressed and abused Israel, God's People.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I think things are gradually coming back. Somebody seems to be working on it...

Maybe not. I still can't edit.
    Or gradually slipping away? Kind of like the HAL 9000 when the memory circuits were pulled?

Let's hope not!
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Quote Originally Posted by watchinginawe View Post
    Or gradually slipping away? Kind of like the HAL 9000 when the memory circuits were pulled?

Let's hope not!
    In this case, there are so many servers involved on the Internet, I don't have a clue who is to blame. It would be nice to just shut it down, have a back up, and start another.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Hebrew actually says "the nations" not "the heathen". Only the KJV translates it this way. Looks like they took a little too much creative liberty if you ask me.
    King James translators do go off the rails and insert their own ideas in some places in the Bible. That’s a reason I need other translations; better yet, the native languages.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    King James translators do go off the rails and insert their own ideas in some places in the Bible. That’s a reason I need other translations; better yet, the native languages.
    However, context rules. It is not against the rules to provide that context for the reader so as to understand the proper meaning. To just say "nations" is neutral. To say "heathen nations" indicates there is a comparison taking place between Israel under the Law and the nations without the Law and who live as pagans.

But for the most part I agree with you. Original languages are the best, though I'm not sure we always know *what were the original languages all the time and in all cases?* At some point we must value *understanding the words* more than bare use of the words as used by the original natives. We can hardly get into the minds of people so long ago unless translators help us.

Thread Information