Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: An historicist view of the Olivet Discourse.

Re: An historicist view of the Olivet Discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I wish you would focus less on trying to "persuade," and spend more time on trying to "understand!" We do not have to agree. But we should be able to understand our respective positions. You act as if you have to endlessly repeat arguments that I don't understand. But I *do* understand your position.

I will once again try to explain my responses to your positions, not to *persuade you,* but rather, to *explain to you.* I really, really have in fact responded, point by point, to your positions. And if you understand this, you will not have to repeat your positions ad nauseum. I don't, of course, mind if you want to reassert your views. It just won't be necessary to repeat them with me, if you know I already understand.
    t's infuriating to me that when I argue these points, regarding the Great Distress, my position is regularly ignored, and instead, replaced with a version of the Great Distress that I *do not agree with!* If you are arguing a point with me, please acknowledge that I *do not* hold to the idea that the Great Distress is the 66-70 AD period of Distress when the Romans attacked, and eventually destroyed, Jerusalem.
    Infuriating? Ad nauseam? You requested that we take things slowly and repetitively. You took a very long time to realise my view on the "local distress" and so should allow me the same leeway. You said this to me: What I'm noticing is that you're beginning to lose your patience. I commonly find this happening when someone is losing an argument. If you wish me to take your arguments seriously, and not as a contentious argument, then please calm down.
    If you don't want to take things slowly, and repetitively, we can end the discussion right here? I have no wish to develop hostile relations with you, on any subject that causes division.

Could you kindly give me patience as I gave you?

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    Infuriating? Ad nauseam? You requested that we take things slowly and repetitively. You took a very long time to realise my view on the "local distress" and so should allow me the same leeway. You said this to me: What I'm noticing is that you're beginning to lose your patience. I commonly find this happening when someone is losing an argument. If you wish me to take your arguments seriously, and not as a contentious argument, then please calm down.
    If you don't want to take things slowly, and repetitively, we can end the discussion right here? I have no wish to develop hostile relations with you, on any subject that causes division.

Could you kindly give me patience as I gave you?
    Brother, I have *great problem* with patience! Sorry if my rhetoric is tactless. I lack tact, I lack patience, and I lack all kinds of Christian virtues. I've felt judged by God most of my life. But I also feel loved of God all of my life. This is a strange contrast, but it appears to be the truth. Grace is king...

I feel so distressed that I cannot exchange contrasting ideas with some brothers here, who I really respect. It really comes down to how much self-control we can exercise. None of us have it completely. Some of us have it more than others. I really do want to be among those who have more virtue! God help us all!

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Brother, I have *great problem* with patience! Sorry if my rhetoric is tactless. I lack tact, I lack patience, and I lack all kinds of Christian virtues. I've felt judged by God most of my life. But I also feel loved of God all of my life. This is a strange contrast, but it appears to be the truth. Grace is king...

I feel so distressed that I cannot exchange contrasting ideas with some brothers here, who I really respect. It really comes down to how much self-control we can exercise. None of us have it completely. Some of us have it more than others. I really do want to be among those who have more virtue! God help us all!
    I respect that, but then you expect more from me than you are able to do. Which isn't too cool. You said: "If you don't want to take things slowly, and repetitively, we can end the discussion right here?I have no wish to develop hostile relations with you, on any subject that causes division. "

Anyway I will continue the chat soon when I get more time.

Thread Information