Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 116

Thread: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

  1. #1

    Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    She is the most talked about congress person in the media. What exactly has she done to deserve such fame?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,771
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quite simply because she hits all of the buttons talking points of young Socialists and gives the press - both pro and con - plenty to talk about.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    4,131

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    The first openly socialist I know of to run on the platform and win. It's scary stuff.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    She is the most talked about congress person in the media. What exactly has she done to deserve such fame?
    It's more that she is the most infamous person in congress. GOP despises everything she stands for, and mainline Dems hate that she doesn't fall in line. So this causes a Trump-like effect where a fringe outsider receives only negative press, and it serves to further invigorate her and her supporters. Dem party may soon become hostage to far-left populism just as the GOP did to far-right. But the reason OC has this notoriety in the first place is because she is unafraid to promote real socialism, which resonates with that minority of the country - especially those who are bitter about Sanders' treatment by the moderates in power.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,708
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    In addition to what others have said, the country can't seem to wait to see what comes next out of her mouth! LOL! I'm all for younger people running for office and more females running for office, but shouldn't there be a test for Congressmen and Congresswomen to pass to make sure that they know what their job is all about and how the government works?

    I had to take the National Teacher's Exam before I could get a job.

    Doctors, nurse, lawyers. beauticians, barbers, plumbers, contractors and all kinds of professional people have to "prove" they are competent before they can practice their trade.

    Why is it different for people who run the government?

    In addition to what others have said, the country can't seem to wait to see what comes next out of her mouth! LOL! I'm all for younger people running for office and more females running for office, but shouldn't there be a test for Congressmen and Congresswomen to pass to make sure that they know what their job is all about and how the government works?

    I had to take the National Teacher's Exam before I could get a job.

    Doctors, nurse, lawyers. beauticians, barbers, plumbers, contractors and all kinds of professional people have to "prove" they are competent before they can practice their trade.

    Why is it different for people who run the government?
    ".....it's your nickel"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,771
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    It's more that she is the most infamous person in congress. GOP despises everything she stands for, and mainline Dems hate that she doesn't fall in line. So this causes a Trump-like effect where a fringe outsider receives only negative press, and it serves to further invigorate her and her supporters. Dem party may soon become hostage to far-left populism just as the GOP did to far-right. But the reason OC has this notoriety in the first place is because she is unafraid to promote real socialism, which resonates with that minority of the country - especially those who are bitter about Sanders' treatment by the moderates in power.
    I agree with this except for a couple of points.

    "Mainline Dems" at least recognize that facts and reality are far more important than just pie in the sky dreams. In other words they are well aware of the fact that reality is what it is not want we wish it to be. Much as I disagree with a lot of their positions at least I can understand why they arrived at them and respect their efforts.

    The GOP didn't become hostage to the "far right" Republican voters got sick of the fact that their representatives moved away from the right and towards and sometimes smack dab on the left. It's the very same thing that Ronald Reagan and to some extent Newt Gingrich had to battle. It's really what got Trump elected despite his major - very major - character flaws.

    Other than that I completely agree with you!
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    The GOP didn't become hostage to the "far right"
    GOP congressmen did, and are displaying it in Washington as we speak nevermind the past 2 years, lol. My point being that Dem leaders will likewise succumb to their populist movements and will not have the courage to criticize them. Someone like OC (I don't think it will be her specifically) is going to catapult the party into pure socialism just as Trump has done for his party.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,561

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    She is the most talked about congress person in the media. What exactly has she done to deserve such fame?
    She's a cartoon character: Teen CongressGirl.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

    Isaiah 54

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,561

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Someone like OC (I don't think it will be her specifically) is going to catapult the party into pure socialism just as Trump has done for his party.
    I don't think that Trump is particularly conservative. He wants a border wall? So did most Democrats 10 years ago. He cut taxes? Only not really, because the bill got rid of most standard write-offs like state and local taxes. He's really a typical big government New Yorker, creating trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see....
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

    Isaiah 54

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I don't think that Trump is particularly conservative.
    Neither do I, although he's what conservatives wanted. I'm not sure if the word has meaning anymore.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,203

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    GOP congressmen did, and are displaying it in Washington as we speak nevermind the past 2 years, lol.
    I think you missed his point Aviyah. The GOP congress didn't go far right. They tried to keep the party from going further left. The country as a whole has gone far more left than it was even 10 years ago. The GOP today is not near as conservative as it was back in the 80s.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,203

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Neither do I, although he's what conservatives wanted. I'm not sure if the word has meaning anymore.
    The previous president paved the way for Trump because of what he said and did. The right needed and wanted someone that would finally stand up and fight (the GOP as well as the Dems and the press) rather than say one thing and do another. Trump has pushed hard to keep his promises to his base. What other GOP president can say that since Reagan?

    One big reason I voted for him was because of how Obama went after Christians with Obamacare.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,203

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    She is the most talked about congress person in the media. What exactly has she done to deserve such fame?
    There's a huge segment of society that really has never liked our constitution. It's only been recently that they have come out from cover as society at large has shifted drastically leftward. She is pushing government as a solution to many problems and for those that want to trust and depend on government, and have massive wealth transfer, it is music to their ears.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I think you missed his point Aviyah. The GOP congress didn't go far right.
    OK, would you say Trump is a moderate?
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,203

    Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    OK, would you say Trump is a moderate?
    There's several ways to answer that question. Do you mean does he govern as a moderate? Not at all. He was a hired hand for many people. He was sent up there to "blow up" the establishment. I resisted him for a long time, but have come around full circle. I now believe he is exactly who and what we needed in this country.

    Ways that Trump has governed conservatively:

    1. He has done more to get rid of unneeded regulation than any president before him and it's not even close.
    2. Got a very good tax cut passed.
    3. Appointed supreme judges that actually read the constitution as it was written and do not believe words meanings change just because they want to change them. IOW, constitutionalist judges have been appointed and hopefully, the best is yet to come.
    4. Has told the bureaucracy to get rid of waste, reduce payroll, etc.
    5. Has exposed the corruption in the 4th branch of government (i.e. the FBI, DOJ, etc.) Unfortunately, hasn't dealt adequately with the IRS yet, IMO. But the major issues happened under the prior administration and congress cutting their purse strings has limited the damage they could do.
    6. Kept his promises to his base as best he could and continuing to work on the ones that are remaining.
    7. Focused on building a wall. This issue dates all the way back to Reagan when the country first granted amnesty to illegal immigrants. Reagan signed on because congress agreed to deal with the border. But once amnesty was granted, congress didn't fund the initiative.
    8. Appointed conservatives to his cabinet, and at positions throughout his administration.
    9. Has appointed conservative judges in the lower federal courts at a record pace.
    10. He understands economics better than any president we have had since President Clinton (who was reigned in by a conservative congress that forced his hand after the 1st two years) and President Reagon. President Obama made fun of Trump and said "manfacturing jobs were not coming back. What was Trump going to do, wave a magic wand?" Investers knew things would change the day Trump was elected and was the reason the stock market rocketed the very next day. And BTW, manufacturing has grown at a tremendous rate over the last two years.
    11. He is fighting for religious freedom. This is something that I never really worried about in my lifetime till the previous administration made evangelicals a target. While I listed this one last, it is one of the more important issues to me and many other believers.

    I would argue that President Trump has been more conservative a president than any this country has had since President Reagan, the last great president we had.

    Things President Trump brings to the table that were needed:

    1. He fights with the press when in the past, others were scared of the press. He's actually as good at fighting back against the liberal press as they are at fighting conservatives.
    2. He has tremendous backbone and doesn't backdown. In the past, the "moderate" presidents we had, were more what I consider "country club" conservatives and they are an entirely different breed of conservative. Trump takes his points to the people and is not afraid of the establishment, nor the media.
    3. Trump speaks directly to the people bypassing the media. This was needed in a big way. Most people want to work. They are looking for equal opportunities more than equal outcomes. Trump understands this and it is one reason middle America really likes him.
    4. He is a fighter. Have I mentioned that? He's the first president since Reagan where the common worker feels like they have a man in the office that wants them to do well and is working to make sure policies do not squelch their job opportunities. Not only does he work to do these things, but he fights back against those that don't like such policies.

    Now, what a lot of people hate about Trump is his style. But the left also realizes that he is gunning against some of their foundation principals. He is doing what other presidents should have done but did not. As for is he conservative at his core, or an opportunist, that I don't know. What I do know is he is exactly what this nation needed after the last administration. Will we wise up with what has been revealed and do something? Or will we continue down the past following the left as we have for generations now? Time will tell. I think that President Trump may be a reprieve more than a change of direction. But we will see. Perhaps revival will break out in the country again. That's what happened after the 60s and ultimately led to the election of President Reagan through the moral majority in the 80s. Will it happen again? I don't know.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: Aug 14th 2018, 03:54 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul 18th 2018, 10:06 PM
  3. Information What Famous Person do you sound most like?
    By always in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Feb 2nd 2016, 05:26 PM
  4. Please Help The Bible in Famous Speeches
    By jacklwm in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 25th 2012, 09:25 AM
  5. Funny Famous Bad Hair Days!
    By Diggindeeper in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 14th 2012, 05:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •