Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

Re: Why has Ocasio-Cortez become the most famous congress person?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    OK, in that sense I don't agree with a living constitution. The court is applying the same interpretation it did for Brown v. Board, which means the problem is with the constitution itself. The courts' correct interpretation is highlighting the fault with the 14th amendment.
    Their error was applying the 14th amendment wrongly (as the court has been doing for some time). They co-opted the bill of rights into the states. That was never the intent of the 14th nor was it worded in that way. But that's beside the point.

Any gay man could marry any woman willing to marry him. There was NO discrimination against him. The court had to change the definition of marriage in order to even create the abomination they did. This was activism through and through. Scalia's dissent was very good.

In this scenario for example, you would not be discriminating but also practicing your religious freedom. The unfortunate thing would be not being able to bless married couples. So it's a matter of, should we be fighting this hard for married benefits, or instead cut off one of many fingers that the government has in marriage? I think the better option is to get rid of the program.
    You are saying we are fighting for marriage benefits. No indeed! I am fighting and arguing for government to limit itself to the constitution, i.e. freedom of the people.

A businessman with over 50 employees was not allowed, even as a privately owned, family owned company, to practice his religious freedom. The courts stepped in ultimately, but unsatisfactorily. The christian baker case has left open the issue.

I would not be discriminating even if I gave married people benifits but denied them to an unmarried homosexual in some kind of gay union. If that unmarried homosexual married someone of the opposite sex, I would give them the same benifits as a married couple I gave the straight folks.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    You are saying we are fighting for marriage benefits. No indeed! I am fighting and arguing for government to limit itself to the constitution, i.e. freedom of the people.
    ... for the purpose of marriage benefits.

I would not be discriminating even if I gave married people benifits but denied them to an unmarried homosexual in some kind of gay union. If that unmarried homosexual married someone of the opposite sex, I would give them the same benifits as a married couple I gave the straight folks.
    And to do this legally we need to amend the constitution or add a caveat to the 14th.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

... for the purpose of marriage benefits.
    Freedom in all ways. In this case it happens to be marriage benefits as granted by a business owner. But its also about other benefits, including birth control, etc. Religion, etc.

And to do this legally we need to amend the constitution or add a caveat to the 14th.
    It was done for generations legally. It only became "illegal" because the other side changed the law via fiat rather than via amendment. I am not the one who should need an amendment here. It should be the gay marriage crowd.

We obviously won't agree Aviyah. You believe that marriage can be changed via fiat. The definition, legal or otherwise, can simply be changed by the court of law. (Which by the way, is belief in a living document.) I don't. I believe the constitution required an amendment to do that.

The court created new law, new rights, even though they were free to marry traditionally as anyone else was. The courts assumed authority where they had none.

You do realize that the first 10 amendments were about limiting federal power and granting state power? Right? States can regulate marriage. Have always been able to constitutionally. The feds were not granted that power. It was siezed.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

States can regulate marriage. Have always been able to constitutionally. The feds were not granted that power. It was siezed.
    States can regulate marriage the same way they can regulate education - within the confines of equal protection.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

I voted for Reagan. I watched Jimmy Carter and President Ford before him. Reagan was making a point about Social Security that many today make as well. We would quible over the meaning of the word "entitlement". Ultimately, Reagan knew SS was a ponzi scheme and would haved like to privatize it so that people would be richer in retirement. But he had to work with a democratic majority senate for his years in office.

He most definitely was more conservative than the GOP is today. He could get elected in our primaries but no way California and New York would vote for him today as they did in 1984.
    Here's something interesting..In 1984 Ronald Reagan reestablished full diplomatic ties with the Vatican..
    The cross is going to judge everything in your life: your eating, your drinking, your sleeping, your spending, your talking. Everything is cross-examined!

~ Leonard Ravenhill

States can regulate marriage the same way they can regulate education - within the confines of equal protection.
    Everyone had equal protection (concerning marriage) before the supremes changed the law. Again, the constitution allows states far more authority than it does the federal government. And the 14th has been abused by the courts for a long time.
    NASU

A fanstasic blogger on the abuse of the 14th amendment.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/h...-all-the-abuse

Unlike the reason for the passage of the 14th Amendment (which was based upon the inarguable immutable characteristic of skin color), Kennedy’s false assertion of the “immutable characteristic” of homosexuality was akin to Justice Harry Blackmun’s remarks in Roe v. Wade. “We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man’s knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.” Blackmun lied, pretending that biological sciences had not already clearly determined this fact over a hundred years prior. No embryologist had any doubt. Science knew, without question, that life begins at conception. Even the former president of Planned Parenthood and the Guttmacher Institute’s namesake, Alan F. Guttmacher, declared in his 1933 book Life In The Making: “This all seems so simple and evident that it is difficult to picture a time when it wasn’t part of the common knowledge.” But Supreme Court Justices, content with not only taking on the powers of the legislative branch of government, also regard themselves as scientific authorities.

Click "like" if you want to defend true marriage.

The 14th Amendment is not a panacea. It was appropriately invoked in Loving v. Virginia because the matter at hand was a racist anti-miscegenation law banning interracial marriage—an issue based on race. I’m interracially married, so I’m grateful that the Supreme Court ruled based upon the law. It never should have taken nearly 100 years for America to get that right (pun intended).

But I have deep concerns for our Supreme Court justices who think they’re fooling the American public. They’ve flaunted their disdain for their constitutional limits. Interpret people. Don’t improvise. Surprisingly Chief Justice John Roberts got it right in Obergefell v. Hodges, but just a ruling prior sided with the liberal court in rewriting Obamacare in King v. Burwell. Luckily, Roberts and the others who ruled in favor of this unconstitutional wreck of a 20,000+ page law (including regulations) don’t have to worry about having their heads checked by Obamacare doctors. The Supreme Court and its staff don’t have to enroll in Obamacare. They are exempt. Equal protection under the law is such a convenient weapon. They’re not subject to the same (oppressive) rules that average folks like us are. That would be so…what’s the word…constitutional.

But these elitists judges (and the clerks writing for them) can randomly choose to wield “due process” and “equal protection” when they want to force inequality upon the American public.

Happy Birthday, 14th Amendment. Wish I could say you’ve aged well.
    NASU

I voted for Reagan. I watched Jimmy Carter and President Ford before him. Reagan was making a point about Social Security that many today make as well. We would quible over the meaning of the word "entitlement". Ultimately, Reagan knew SS was a ponzi scheme and would haved like to privatize it so that people would be richer in retirement. But he had to work with a democratic majority senate for his years in office.

He most definitely was more conservative than the GOP is today. He could get elected in our primaries but no way California and New York would vote for him today as they did in 1984.
    I voted for Reagan too. Reagan did not think Social Security was a ponzi scheme. I think he actually meant what he said when he said, "It's not unreasonable for people who paid into a system for decades to expect to get their money's worth--that's not an "entitlement," that's honoring a deal. We as a society must also make an ironclad commitment to providing a safety net for those who can't make one for themselves." I maintain he would not have won the republican nomination with that statement about Social Security. It also shows just how far to the right the republican party has gone. It has gone pretty far too the when before the nomination in the last election, Trump only had about 30% of support from Republicans and those not supporting him were saying he was not conservative enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    I voted for Reagan too. Reagan did not think Social Security was a ponzi scheme. I think he actually meant what he said when he said, "It's not unreasonable for people who paid into a system for decades to expect to get their money's worth--that's not an "entitlement," that's honoring a deal. We as a society must also make an ironclad commitment to providing a safety net for those who can't make one for themselves." I maintain he would not have won the republican nomination with that statement about Social Security. It also shows just how far to the right the republican party has gone. It has gone pretty far too the when before the nomination in the last election, Trump only had about 30% of support from Republicans and those not supporting him were saying he was not conservative enough.
    I know what he said. And it is an entitlement but not like people think of entitlement. It simply means you are entitled to get it back. Its the honor system.

Reagan believed the system should be privatized and even wanted to give people the option to "opt out" of paying social security taxes. Reagan was great at negotiating and compromising. As he once said that if he got 80% of what he wanted, he considered that a success. I know that number is not exactly right. He was unable to be as conservative as he wanted to be because of the limits of having a democratic congress. Even his handlers held him back some. He is far more conservative than the current republican party. The part has moved leftward from Reagan. Not rightward. The similarities are that both Reagan and Trump are concerned with jobs and the working class. The country club conservatives never have been. But I don't really consider them conservative like Reagan.
    NASU

I know what he said. And it is an entitlement but not like people think of entitlement. It simply means you are entitled to get it back. Its the honor system.

Reagan believed the system should be privatized and even wanted to give people the option to "opt out" of paying social security taxes. Reagan was great at negotiating and compromising. As he once said that if he got 80% of what he wanted, he considered that a success. I know that number is not exactly right. He was unable to be as conservative as he wanted to be because of the limits of having a democratic congress. Even his handlers held him back some. He is far more conservative than the current republican party. The part has moved leftward from Reagan. Not rightward. The similarities are that both Reagan and Trump are concerned with jobs and the working class. The country club conservatives never have been. But I don't really consider them conservative like Reagan.
    I am going to have to agree to disagree with you that the republican party today is to the left of Reagan. To me the mere fact that you and others are calling social security a "ponzi scheme" shows me that. I also think that is the main reason Republicans will be losing a lot more elections in the future. It is because they have moved too far to the right on Social Security. I would say this is the main reason Trump won the republican nomination. He and Huckabee were the only two who did not want to make deep cuts to Social Security. It is too bad the republicans have gone so far to the right on Social Security. They would be winning a lot more elections if not for there anti Social Security stance.

Reagan was great at negotiating and compromising.
    Very much unlike our current president. Reagan had a democratic congress and negotiated with them to save Social Security ( something he definitely wanted to do. Otherwise he would not have worked to do so). Trump couldn't even get legislation passed with a Republican congress. Trump is definitely no Ronald Reagan and making any comparison is ludicrous. I am sure Trump supporters will say it not his fault. I know the buck NEVER stops with him. By the way, just so you know, I supported Trump against Hillary and against all the other Republicans running. I also have been praying for him to become a great president like Reagan was. At this point I have to say I am pretty disappointed because I don't see my prayer getting answered as of yet with Trump. Yet I will continue praying for him.

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    I am going to have to agree to disagree with you that the republican party today is to the left of Reagan. To me the mere fact that you and others are calling social security a "ponzi scheme" shows me that. I also think that is the main reason Republicans will be losing a lot more elections in the future. It is because they have moved too far to the right on Social Security. I would say this is the main reason Trump won the republican nomination. He and Huckabee were the only two who did not want to make deep cuts to Social Security. It is too bad the republicans have gone so far to the right on Social Security. They would be winning a lot more elections if not for there anti Social Security stance.
    It is a ponzi scheme. The money you pay in, is used to pay those that have already paid in. It doesn't go to you. When you retire, those that are still working will pay so that you can be paid. By definition, it is ponzi. When it was first inacted, there were something like 160 workers per 1 retiree. In the 80s, when Reagan was president, there were 3.3 or so per worker. Today, that number is less than 3 (somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5). It is simply not sustainable. There will be future tax increases or benefit cuts.

You know Reagan wanted to privatize SS right? Reagan also rightly told us that the tax increase he and the democrats implemented was only a temporary solution. There's a lot more to Reagan's stance on SS than the one quote you have given. He wanted to give us the right to opt out. Something I would have gladly done if given the freedom to do so.

Very much unlike our current president. Reagan had a democratic congress and negotiated with them to save Social Security ( something he definitely wanted to do. Otherwise he would not have worked to do so). Trump couldn't even get legislation passed with a Republican congress. Trump is definitely no Ronald Reagan and making any comparison is ludicrous. I am sure Trump supporters will say it not his fault. I know the buck NEVER stops with him. By the way, just so you know, I supported Trump against Hillary and against all the other Republicans running. I also have been praying for him to become a great president like Reagan was. At this point I have to say I am pretty disappointed because I don't see my prayer getting answered as of yet with Trump. Yet I will continue praying for him.
    Trump is not Ronald Reagan. But he is exactly what this nation needed for this time. He's way better than the previous one who wanted to kill babies and force Nuns to kill babies.

There's a lot more to Reagan than just social security. He was not for government assistence. Remember the "welfare queen" statements? The scariest words in the world quote ... "I am from the government and I am here to help" and so on. He was definitely a small government advocate. Also, he was not a keynsian economics follower and for good reason. I could go on and on.

The country club republicans have never been "conservative". They hated Reagan too.
    NASU

Thread Information