Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

  1. #16

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    You've never had JW's or SDA's or Mormons come knocking on your door?
    Sure I have. Keck painted all American Christians, including himself, with the same broad brush. Our scriptures do tell in many different places that we are suppose to share our faith with others and not hide it. I would certainly not classify sharing our faith with others as "jamming our self righteousness down unbelievers throats". As a matter of fact, I do not believe self righteousness is even possible from my reading of the bible. I believe people need to submit themselves to God's righteousness and it is He who delivers people from unrighteousness and makes them righteous. So no I do not agree with JW's, SDA's or Jehovah's Witness's. Neither do I agree that sharing our faith with others is "jamming our self righteousness down their throats".

  2. #17

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I'm not minimizing anybody's suffering. I'm simply pointing out that being a religious minority can be dangerous.
    Thanks for clarifying that and I apologize that I took your comment the wrong way.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,736

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    There are 2 kinds of religious persecution here--the kind where cultic groups push their aberrant gospel down our throats, and the kind where religious people are picked on who are only minding their own business. Christian persecution happens not when Christians are abusing others with their gospel, but rather, when they are opposed as a challenge to a corrupt culture.

    In my view Christianity may legitimately be aggressive, without being viewed as subversive or "pushy." When Christianity exercises its "free speech," a corrupt culture naturally feels the Christian has stepped "out of line," and feels it can be trashed.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,805
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    How things are in America doesn't mitigate the fact that in other countries Christians are persecuted, tortured and even killed because of the faith. Christians in those countries literally put their faith before themselves when they share the gospel or just live their faith as best they can.

    There is nothing wrong with reminders of that from time to time. I'd also like to point out that there wasn't any mention of America in the OP or the linked article. Just saying.

    How things are in America doesn't mitigate the fact that in other countries Christians are persecuted, tortured and even killed because of the faith. Christians in those countries literally put their faith before themselves when they share the gospel or just live their faith as best they can.

    There is nothing wrong with reminders of that from time to time. I'd also like to point out that there wasn't any mention of America in the OP or the linked article. Just saying.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In His Service
    Posts
    3,270

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    How things are in America doesn't mitigate the fact that in other countries Christians are persecuted, tortured and even killed because of the faith. Christians in those countries literally put their faith before themselves when they share the gospel or just live their faith as best they can.

    There is nothing wrong with reminders of that from time to time. I'd also like to point out that there wasn't any mention of America in the OP or the linked article. Just saying.

    How things are in America doesn't mitigate the fact that in other countries Christians are persecuted, tortured and even killed because of the faith. Christians in those countries literally put their faith before themselves when they share the gospel or just live their faith as best they can.

    There is nothing wrong with reminders of that from time to time. I'd also like to point out that there wasn't any mention of America in the OP or the linked article. Just saying.
    i think Leonard Ravenhill summed up America quite nicely when he said..

    The early Church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity.
    How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don't even have the strength to turn off your TV?

    ~ Leonard Ravenhill



  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,805
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    i think Leonard Ravenhill summed up America quite nicely when he said..

    The early Church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity.
    Not the one I attend. There are still plenty of great word of God teaching and focus on God churches here. If your home church isn't focused on God and how to better equip us to worship and serve Him then you simply need to find one that does.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,668

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    No one in this world knows that better than Jesus Christ..
    As a Jew, he certainly knew what it was like to be a religious minority, yes. Do you, as a Christian, living in a Christian majority country? No.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

    Isaiah 54

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,331
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    I agree that is not persecution. However, i have to ask, when you witness for Christ to an unbeliever, do you feel you are jamming your self righteousness down their throats? I agree with you that getting mocked for witnessing for Christ is not persecution and as a Christian in America I can't claim that as persecution. However, I would not classify witnessing for Christ as "jamming our self righteousness down unbeliever's throats".
    No, i don't, because my witness is by actions, not rhetoric. Most unbelievers correctly sense hypocrisy in the kind of witnessing they are subjected to.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,668

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    No, i don't, because my witness is by actions, not rhetoric.
    Amen, brother. Lead by example. As they teach in writing class, "show, don't tell".
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

    Isaiah 54

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,331
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Not the one I attend. There are still plenty of great word of God teaching and focus on God churches here. If your home church isn't focused on God and how to better equip us to worship and serve Him then you simply need to find one that does.
    True. When I attended a Nazarene church, none of what Jude mentioned was practiced

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,349

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    No, i don't, because my witness is by actions, not rhetoric. Most unbelievers correctly sense hypocrisy in the kind of witnessing they are subjected to.
    This is why I think it is very important to listen to the Holy Spirit when it comes to witnessing. Sometimes, they are just not going to listen no matter what as evidenced by Jesus and the apostles. However, if we listen, we may find a woman at the well that is ready to hear, or legion, or the jailer, and on and on. I am convinced that Paul and Silas were praying for that jailer when they were in jail rather than praying for deliverance. And all too often, my prayers are wrapped up in me rather than the jailer.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,349

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Amen, brother. Lead by example. As they teach in writing class, "show, don't tell".
    I have a missionary acquaintence in Africa. They had little to no success evangelizing until a famine came. When the famine came, God instructed them to take food to the tribe they had been preaching too. So they halled a bunch of food into the bush over and over and over again. One day, they asked "Why are you doing this?" And he responded "My God told me to". After hearing this, they told him "tell us more about your God". Now there is a vibrant ministry there and many of the tribe are pastors, teachers, evangelalist, etc. Your point is a good one.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,805
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    True. When I attended a Nazarene church, none of what Jude mentioned was practiced
    I've been to plenty of great churches around the country in my time. Admittedly I've been to a couple of stinkers as well but it's easy enough to just walk out of the door and move on down the road.
    The bottom line is that you cannot judge the true state of The Church in America unless or until you're familiar with enough of them to make a reasonable assessment. And that would be in the tens of thousands seeing how there are well over three hundred thousand Protestant churches in the U.S.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,805
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Grrr. I still can't edit.

    I was off on the number of Protestant churches. It's more like 100 to 200 thousand.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In His Service
    Posts
    3,270

    Re: Christian Persecution Expected To Increase In 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    No, i don't, because my witness is by actions, not rhetoric. Most unbelievers correctly sense hypocrisy in the kind of witnessing they are subjected to.
    Horsefeathers..In saying that you're disobeying the commandment of the Lord..

    Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

    16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don't even have the strength to turn off your TV?

    ~ Leonard Ravenhill



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. #1 in Christian persecution.
    By L'Ange in forum Prayer for the Persecuted Church
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar 31st 2018, 01:44 PM
  2. Christian persecution
    By Old man in forum Breaking News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 11th 2018, 08:23 PM
  3. IRAN: Increase in believers causes increase in persecution
    By L'Ange in forum Prayer for the Persecuted Church
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 22nd 2011, 10:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •