Thread: Back-To-Back Earthquakes Shatter Roads And Windows In Alaska

Back-To-Back Earthquakes Shatter Roads And Windows In Alaska

Back-To-Back Earthquakes Shatter Roads And Windows In Alaska..

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Back-to-back earthquakes measuring 7.0 and 5.7 rocked buildings and shattered roads Friday morning in Anchorage, sending people running into the streets and briefly triggering a warning to residents in Kodiak to flee to higher ground for fear of a tsunami.The warning was lifted without incident a short time later. There were no immediate reports of any deaths or serious injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the first and more powerful quake was centered about 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of Anchorage, Alaska's largest city, with a population of about 300,000. People ran from their offices or took cover under desks.A large section of road near the Anchorage airport collapsed, marooning a car on a narrow island of pavement surrounded by deep chasms in the concrete. Several cars crashed at a major intersection in Wasilla, north of Anchorage, during the shaking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ba...fcl?li=BBnb7Kz

Jude

If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Post Re: Back-To-Back Earthquakes Shatter Roads And Windows In Alaska

Alaska earthquake: State hit by more than 230 tremors since Friday..

More than 230 small earthquakes have hit parts of Alaska since Friday, when a 7.0-magnitude quake knocked out power, ripped open roads and splintered buildings near Anchorage, the US Geological Survey said.

Most of those smaller earthquakes were not strong enough to be felt, but a magnitude-5.2 aftershock about 11 p.m. Friday was the second-biggest event since a magnitude-5.7 temblor hit minutes after the main quake, according to Gavin Hayes, a research geophysicist with the USGS.

"That would have given people a shake and probably a bit of a scare given what they went through yesterday," he told CNN on Saturday.

The magnitude-7.0 earthquake sent residents scurrying for cover when it hit about 8:30 a.m. Friday local time. The quake was centered 10 miles northeast of Anchorage, the state's largest city.

"The most striking thing about this event was that it was so close to Anchorage," Hayes said. "That's why it has caused the damage that we're seeing. Had it been a little further away from Anchorage I don't think it would be getting very much attention. It's not an unusual earthquake in the perspective of the tectonics of the region."

'This was a big one'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...id=mailsignout

Jude
    If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Re: Back-To-Back Earthquakes Shatter Roads And Windows In Alaska

amen Jude.

what i like about your posts is the inspiration for sunday morning. this morning i want to touch on Matthew 24 and
    Earthquakes in the end times.

well this week seems the end news has given me some stories, even the 'msm' gets it...

Anchorage earthquake was a big one, but it could have been much worse. Why L.A. should take warning
    By ALEJANDRA REYES-VELARDE
    DEC 01, 2018

Snip

How about the infrastructure?
    Much of the structural damage seen in Anchorage was the result of liquefaction, which is when sediments and water are shaken together and act like quicksand.

Anchorage is a newer city, with fewer old buildings that are likely to collapse, Tremayne said. Building codes for newer construction are designed to allow buildings to easily withstand the shake intensity ranges seen in the Anchorage earthquake, she said.

Snip

In California, for example, a Los Angeles Times analysis published this year found that there are hundreds of old brick buildings in the Inland Empire that have been marked as dangerous but haven’t been retrofitted despite decades of warning. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...130-story.html

Across California, there are other vulnerable building types, such as apartments with parking on the ground floor, older houses with a handful of steps off the ground, and vulnerable concrete and steel buildings.

ok, so LA wouldn't have done so well. hmmmm....

Local seismologists: Oregon, prepare for quake
    by Reed Andrews, KATU NewsFriday, November 30th 2018

PORTLAND, Ore. — Local seismologists and geologists say the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that hit Alaska should make people in the Pacific Northwest realize how disastrous the threat of the Big One is for our region.

Snip

"You get 10 times more energy release," Thelen said for every increased degree of magnitude. "So that's just the size, but what you also get is a lot longer event, and so it's shaking strong for a very long time."

Because of those factors, Thelen says the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake that the Pacific Northwest is overdue for will be a dramatically stronger earthquake.

Burns says the damage out of Alaska should alarm people, but the situation in the Portland region will likely be worse in large part because the metro area is dramatically more densely populated than Anchorage.

Scientists have known about the threat of earthquakes in Alaska for decades, which has influenced their building codes. Burns says the threat of earthquakes in Oregon is relatively recently discovered, which could amplify the destruction since many structures were built without knowledge of the region's seismic risk. https://katu.com/news/local/local-se...pare-for-quake

of course not all of us live out West.

i live in the mid west, but our 'Big One' is coming. the experts held official drills years ago, but i doubt most of us are Truly Prepared.
    we have the New Madrid fault line, most of us here don't know about it...or even think about it.

except me and a few others.

thanks Jude, you set my Sermon up for this morning. we just talk about it during the Sermon, the congregation gives me their input also while i preach at our Free Home Church.

i like that.

that encourages me to hit on Matthew 24 and Earthquakes, while many brick/mortar churches miss the Fire of the passage. one lady told me that their Young People are afraid to talk about this stuff......

um, Wow.
    Welcome to The Cutting Edge...
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]." [Daniel 12:10b]

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

again Thanks Jude...

you got me thinking about our own Elephant quietly looking at us called the New Madrid fault line...

‘Drop, Cover, Hold On’: Will you be ready when the New Madrid fault unzips?

Wes Johnson, Springfield News-Leader Published 10:30 p.m. CT Oct. 14, 2018

Snip

This week, 14 states that could be impacted by another New Madrid Seismic Zone earthquake will participate in the Great Central U.S. "ShakeOut" to prepare for the next "big one."

So far, 2.6 million people — including 440,000 Missourians —have registered to participate in the event, which takes place at 10:18 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 18.

The earthquake drill is intended to teach people how to react if the ground starts shaking. Participants will practice the “Drop, Cover, Hold On” technique to protect themselves:

1. DROP to your hands and knees
    2. COVER your head and neck with your hands and arms; get under a table or desk if you can, and
    3. HOLD ON until the shaking stops

Earthquake experts say "Drop, Cover, Hold On" is the best way to protect against falling debris, which is the most likely cause of injury during an earthquake in developed nations with modern building standards.

this just may help some of our mid west readers. i know it has helped me; Steve Quayle constantly warns about this and some think he is the 'bad guy'. ...um, don't think so. where i live about 5 percent at most are prepared. many have not even thought to get a generator or a freezer.

when i moved to the Farm, i thought everyone would be prepared for the natural things that happen.

not so. when the Electric turns off during an ice storm for days, people run to hotels or prepared people's places. one day it was so Bad, i turned around couldn't go to work. coming home, my wife is throwing another Log in the Wood Stove.

honey, it's bad out there i say. no electric and who knows what else. ....

oh, she says, haven't really noticed. the drapes were open for light and she had heat. ......but didn't notice the 'electric was out'.......gotta love it.

of course our 'modern neighbors tell me the instant it is out, blah blah blah.

for fun, i bought a 'gas furnace'. of course you know John777, it aint a 'normal' gas furnace. nope it is LP, runs off the tank in the back yard only when needed....

but...

it doesn't need electricity.

huh?

yup, it is a 'vented LP gas heater........your welcome. when the electric goes out, the furnace doesn't know it Or Care. does yours? heat naturally travels and keeps our Tiny Home warm......very cheaply.

of course, i know: we are 'crazy, nuts, and wacko' but .......eh, we like it that way.

do you?
    Welcome to The Cutting Edge...
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]." [Daniel 12:10b]

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Re: More Than 1,000 Aftershocks Rattle Alaska Region

More Than 1,000 Aftershocks Rattle Alaska Region...

More than 1,000 aftershocks were felt around Alaska in the days after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck the region Friday.

There have been about 1,400 aftershocks -- including 17 that registered 4.0 or higher and five that registered greater than 5.0 -- near the epicenter of Friday’s quake, according to the Anchorage Daily News. Scientists warned of more jolts expected over the next few days.

“You can expect earthquakes in magnitude 5 or 4 to continue for the next couple of weeks, and as time goes on it tapers off,” Rafael Abreu, a U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist, told the Anchorage Daily News.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...id=mailsignout

Jude

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Blog Entries

Good thing no one was killed unlike the 1964 earthquake that was 9.7.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Good thing no one was killed unlike the 1964 earthquake that was 9.7.
    9.2 actually, but yeah, it was a big one. As I recall 10.0 is the theoretical upper limit.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    9.2 actually, but yeah, it was a big one. As I recall 10.0 is the theoretical upper limit.
    You are correct - 9.2

I remember that day

You are correct - 9.2

I remember that day
    You're a bit older than I thought then.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.

Blog Entries

You're a bit older than I thought then.
    I was 8

It was only a year later we had the 6.7 Puget Sound earthquake. I was in elementary school (in class) when it hit. I can remember the sound to this day. We were all marched outside to the parking lot. I don’t think it occurred to them that we were standing under power lines.

We we went back in, the large round clock was hanging out of the wall by wires.

I remember walking home wondering if the earth was going to open up and swallow me (I was young and probably had just seen the 10 Commandments) LOL.

My brother and my dad were under our house in the crawl space trying to jack up the beams to level the floor when it hit. I think my mom used extra Clorox in their laundry that night.

My brother and my dad were under our house in the crawl space trying to jack up the beams to level the floor when it hit. I think my mom used extra Clorox in their laundry that night.
    Yeah, that would be a pretty hairy place to be when everything starts shaking.

The only 'big' earthquake I remember when I grew up in the Vancouver area must have been between '75-'78. Middle of the night and it was just a roar and things rattling all over. No real damage that I recall, but I was young. Must have been upper 5's or so.

Blog Entries

We’ve had a couple 4.0’s in Eastern Washington, very minor, but the local news media rises to the occasion and hyperventilates with 24/7 coverage like it’s the end of the world.

The last time we had a 4.0 a brick fell off a facade in a 102 year old building south of us and they sent a news crew 50 miles away to cover the nick it put on the sidewalk.

We’ve had a couple 4.0’s in Eastern Washington, very minor, but the local news media rises to the occasion and hyperventilates with 24/7 coverage like it’s the end of the world.

The last time we had a 4.0 a brick fell off a facade in a 102 year old building south of us and they sent a news crew 50 miles away to cover the nick it put on the sidewalk.
    My recent favourite was something like a magnitude 4 in Vancouver, sometime around 2002 or so. The entire 911 system crashed because people called to ask about the earthquake. People!

Blog Entries

My recent favourite was something like a magnitude 4 in Vancouver, sometime around 2002 or so. The entire 911 system crashed because people called to ask about the earthquake. People!
    Yikes. We used to cross to Vancouver a lot. Nice place.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

"The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right."

Thread Information