Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am crucified with Christ!

Blog Entries

Re: I am crucified with Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by poppyCt View Post
    Why did Jesus command his disciples to pick up and carry their own cross.
    Here this scripture should be suffice.

Matthew 16:24
    Then said Jesus unto his disciples,
    If any man will come after me, let him deny himself,
    and take up his cross, and follow me.

I always thought it was so I would be crucified with Christ.
    What do you do with your cross?
    There are lots of scriptures all pointing to the same thing. First of all, we must understand that Jesus Christ' death on the cross was a selfless act of redemption for the lost. Consequently, when we are asked to "take up his cross", it is a command to be selfless, to mind the things of God, to put others first, to endure affliction in his name, etc. To take up the cross is also a command to embrace suffering for our faith in Christ rather than seeking to avoid it (1 Peter 3:14, 1 Peter 4:16).

Cool Re: I am crucified with Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    There are lots of scriptures all pointing to the same thing. First of all, we must understand that Jesus Christ' death on the cross was a selfless act of redemption for the lost. Consequently, when we are asked to "take up his cross", it is a command to be selfless, to mind the things of God, to put others first, to endure affliction in his name, etc. To take up the cross is also a command to embrace suffering for our faith in Christ rather than seeking to avoid it (1 Peter 3:14, 1 Peter 4:16).
    Your Matt. 16:24 also says there will be self-denial as part of the cross burden. Just when we think that serving Christ, life will be a bowl of cherries; we are given verses to expect trouble.

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

1 Thess. 3:3 "That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto."

If we have hope in this life only, we are most miserable (1 Cor. 15:19). I have given up on being wealthy and pursuing my dreams in hope of my place in the Kingdom of God.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Blog Entries

Re: I am crucified with Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Your Matt. 16:24 also says there will be self-denial as part of the cross burden. Just when we think that serving Christ, life will be a bowl of cherries; we are given verses to expect trouble.

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

1 Thess. 3:3 "That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto."

If we have hope in this life only, we are most miserable (1 Cor. 15:19). I have given up on being wealthy and pursuing my dreams in hope of my place in the Kingdom of God.
    Agreed.Thanks for the icing on the cake.

Thread Information