Romans 15:4, “Whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we though the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope”
2 Corinthians 1:3, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort.”

Webster defines comfort as consolation in time of trouble or worry, to give strength and hope to, a feeling of relief or encouragement. Have you been comforted lately by the presence and hand of God? While writing this devotional I was reminded of 2 Corinthians 1:4, “Who (God) comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.”

I read some time ago of a mother who was trying to calm her anxious little daughter who had climbed up on her lap one evening. Soon her loving embrace and tender caresses had quieted the 4-year olds uneasiness. However, the mother herself was grieving because of the recent death of her own dear mother. Looking up, the little girl saw her moist eyes and asked sweetly, “Mama, do you want to be holded too?” The mother’s tears began to flow freely, and the child hugged her and whispered, “Mama, God will hold you, won’t He?” Those words consoled her. Oh, how reassuring it is to know that our Lord is the “God of all comfort” (2 Corinthians 1:3).

My beloved, you never know when you’ll need the Lord’s comfort the most or when God’s care will be your only hope in facing another tomorrow. Joni Eareckson Tada said, “You don't have to be alone in your hurt! Comfort is yours. Joy is an option. And it's all been made possible by your Savior. He went without comfort so you might have it. He postponed joy so you might share in it. He willingly chose isolation so you might never be alone in your hurt and sorrow.”

Further thoughts:

I love the phrase “comfort food” because it speaks of the things that are so good, so familiar, and so right, that they can always bring a smile to your face. For me, comfort food usually includes a spicy bowl of chili, pizza, meatloaf, French toast, spaghetti and of course mashed potatoes and gravy. Oh my, I forgot to mention chocolate in almost any form imaginable. These are some of the foods that speak to me and say that all is well with the world.

Unfortunately, all is not well with the world, and no amount of pizza or chocolate can make it right. Real comfort is not the byproduct of specific foods any more than it is the result of alcohol or drugs or money or pleasure or power. It is a much deeper need that requires a much deeper solution.

The Apostle Paul told the church at Rome that the search for comfort can begin in the pages of the Bible, God’s Eternal Word. He wrote, “Whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope” (Romans 15:4). My beloved, God has given us His precious Word to draw us to Himself. Through a relationship with Him, He provides the comfort we need to live in a very broken world.

God’s Word is a life preserver that keeps the soul from sinking in a sea of trouble.