Thread: How do I know?

How do I know?

Sorry for this long post but I will try to get to the point as fast as possible and I will list the verses that I am referring to:

I used to believe that I was going to Heaven when I die but after reading all of the warnings in the New Testament, I very much doubt that I am going to Heaven. I believe that I am going to Hell when I die which terrifies me more than I can put into words.

These past 7 months have been so tormenting. I used to feel so close to God but not anymore. There is no encouraging verse that comforts me unless I know for sure that I am not one of these people that these warnings in the New Testament are referring to. One person that I talked to, told me not to think about certain verses that I mentioned to him but I take every word seriously because I believe that God says what he means and means what he says.

I've also been told by someone to not worry about it because they said nobody knows for sure if they are going to make it to Heaven. But this is something I want to be absolutely sure of because I only have one chance at this and if I get it wrong the consequences are huge and never ending. I have prayed about this so much this year, but I haven't received any comfort or answer. So the big question is: “How do I know?”

▪How do I know that I am not the “lukewarm” person that is going to be spewed out? (Revelation 3:14-16)
    ▪How do I know if I have strived enough to enter the narrow gate? (Luke 13:23*-‬24)
    ▪How do I know if I am going to fall short of entering His rest? (Hebrews 4:1*-‬11)
    ▪Can I honestly say that I am taking up my cross daily and following Jesus (like I believe the disciples did). Sadly, I don't think I can say that. (Matthew 10:27*-‬39)
    ▪My life looks absolutely nothing like the commitment I see in the disciples to doing God’s Will so these verses terrify me (Luke 12:47*-‬48)
    ▪These verses sound like to me that Paul is striving to attain the “Resurrection of the Dead” or what I consider “Eternal Life” which I don't know if I will attain. (Philippians 3:10*-‬16)
    ▪In working out my own salvation with fear and trembling, how do I know when I have done that? (Philippians 2:5*-‬13)
    ▪I am afraid that I am this unprofitable servant that Jesus speaks of because I am not leading others to follow Christ. (Matthew 25:25*-‬30)
    ▪I am afraid of being the “branch” that the Father takes away because it isn't bearing fruit. (John 15:1*-‬8)
    ▪I consider myself cowardly when it comes to sharing the Gospel so this verse terrifies me. (Revelation 21:8)
    ▪I am afraid that my name will be blotted out. (Revelation 3:3*-‬5)
    ▪The other warnings to the churches in Revelation chapter 2 and 3 are scary to me also.
    ▪I am afraid to be one of these people referred to in these verses. I don't believe I am doing the Father’s will. (Matthew 7:21*-‬23)

During these past 7 months, I have prayed about this very often but I have felt no comfort or guidance, so I think God had given up on me. I'm completely hopeless without him so I really hope that he hasn't. Has anyone else worried about these verses before or just me? Nobody that I have talked to understands my fears. Maybe someone on here can relate or maybe not but thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Re: How do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian07 View Post
    Sorry for this long post but I will try to get to the point as fast as possible and I will list the verses that I am referring to:

I used to believe that I was going to Heaven when I die but after reading all of the warnings in the New Testament, I very much doubt that I am going to Heaven. I believe that I am going to Hell when I die which terrifies me more than I can put into words.

These past 7 months have been so tormenting. I used to feel so close to God but not anymore. There is no encouraging verse that comforts me unless I know for sure that I am not one of these people that these warnings in the New Testament are referring to. One person that I talked to, told me not to think about certain verses that I mentioned to him but I take every word seriously because I believe that God says what he means and means what he says.

I've also been told by someone to not worry about it because they said nobody knows for sure if they are going to make it to Heaven. But this is something I want to be absolutely sure of because I only have one chance at this and if I get it wrong the consequences are huge and never ending. I have prayed about this so much this year, but I haven't received any comfort or answer. So the big question is: “How do I know?”

▪How do I know that I am not the “lukewarm” person that is going to be spewed out? (Revelation 3:14-16)
    ▪How do I know if I have strived enough to enter the narrow gate? (Luke 13:23*-‬24)
    ▪How do I know if I am going to fall short of entering His rest? (Hebrews 4:1*-‬11)
    ▪Can I honestly say that I am taking up my cross daily and following Jesus (like I believe the disciples did). Sadly, I don't think I can say that. (Matthew 10:27*-‬39)
    ▪My life looks absolutely nothing like the commitment I see in the disciples to doing God’s Will so these verses terrify me (Luke 12:47*-‬48)
    ▪These verses sound like to me that Paul is striving to attain the “Resurrection of the Dead” or what I consider “Eternal Life” which I don't know if I will attain. (Philippians 3:10*-‬16)
    ▪In working out my own salvation with fear and trembling, how do I know when I have done that? (Philippians 2:5*-‬13)
    ▪I am afraid that I am this unprofitable servant that Jesus speaks of because I am not leading others to follow Christ. (Matthew 25:25*-‬30)
    ▪I am afraid of being the “branch” that the Father takes away because it isn't bearing fruit. (John 15:1*-‬8)
    ▪I consider myself cowardly when it comes to sharing the Gospel so this verse terrifies me. (Revelation 21:8)
    ▪The other warnings to the churches in Revelation chapter 2 and 3 are scary to me also.
    ▪I am afraid to be one of these people referred to in these verses. I don't believe I am doing the Father’s will. (Matthew 7:21*-‬23)

During these past 7 months, I have prayed about this very often but I have felt no comfort or guidance, so I think God had given up on me. I'm completely hopeless without him so I really hope that he hasn't. Has anyone else worried about these verses before or just me? Nobody that I have talked to understands my fears. Maybe someone on here can relate or maybe not but thank you very much for taking the time to read this.
    As I read what you posted this is what came to me for you.
    Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
    Psalms 31:24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.

You seem knowledgeable in scriptures, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom Pr 9:10.

You seem to be casting your burden on the Lord (with prayer give the Lord your fears):
    Psalms 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

However, you don't seem to be leaving it there, so when the fear comes back to you.. just quick mentally pray and remind the Lord you gave it to Him... and remind the Lord that your trust and hope is in Him for salvation and that He directs your path. This is what I would do every time that fear comes back. I have before quoted this verse to the Lord too:
    Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I pray the Lord give you that peace and assurance.

When a man is born, he goes through a process of reaching maturity. Physical maturity is usually complete before 25 years. Mental maturity comes much later. When a man is born again, although he be a mature man already, his spiritual life starts just like his physical life. He is a "babe in Christ and can only consume "milk". Then comes a life-long process to build the new Christian into a worthy servant of God's. One of the hardest lessons we have to learn on this journey is FAITH. God is a hidden God and what He requires of His people that they BELIEVE in Him and His Word THOUGH THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE. Note the journey of the Apostles. They spent 3½ years in His presence - day in and day out. The end of this was that they all fled and cowered in fear, even Peter who walked on water.

Then, on resurrection day, in John 20:22, the Disciples received the Holy Spirit. At the same time our Lord Jesus started another, and different regime with His disciples. He would appear to them and they would not recognize Him until a certain point, and then just when they recognized Him - He DISAPPEARED from their sight. What was He doing? He was showing them that He was actually with them when they could not see Him. And this short but effective 40 day training COUPLED with the Holy Spirit dwelling in them, produced men who could serve Him and be faithful to Him even when they faced death.

That is, God, to train your muscles of FAITH, is going to hide Himself just when you thought you were on the right path with Him.

But you asked about a number of verses. We could deal with them one by one and write a book. But let me go back to maturing. When I was a little boy I was allowed, once a year, to accompany my father, who was an airline pilot, on a day flight to a destination and back, and these being the "good ole days", I could sit in the cockpit for both legs. I, of course, wanted to be a pilot too, but one thing flattened me. I just could not see how I was going to deal with that huge jet, all the buttons and instruments, and most of all the technique that my father made look so easy.

You are there now. You see the goal, but you acknowledge your total inadequacy. So instead of giving you a solution for 20 years time, I propose a verse you addressed above - Philippians 2:5-13. I will pass by verses 5 to 11 as they address our Lord Jesus. From verse 12 we are in view. They read;

12 "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."

Verse 12 gives us a responsibility. What verse 12 is talking about is not "salvation" from the Lake of Fire. And it is not talking about the redemption of our bodies by resurrection. It is talking about the SANCTIFICATION PROCESS of our SOULS - your thinking, feeling and deciding organs - the mind, emotions and will. How are we going to convert a self-serving, selfish person with evil thoughts and a uncontrollable will to do his own thing to a Christ-like person? It is basically impossible. Look at Galatians 5:17;

"For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would."

Romans Chapter 7 says the same thing. The human man, even the best of us, the most dedicated and the most zealous, are destined to fail. So while in verse 12 you are required to "WORK", verse 13 gives the RESOURCES. In verse 12 YOU WORK. But in verse 13 GOD WORKS. Paul wrote Philippians about 3 years before his death. Look what he says in Philippians 3:11-14 after all those years of genuine and selfless service to his Lord.

11 "If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
    12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
    13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
    14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

To "ATTAIN" to something is like going for the gold medal at the Olympics. It takes talent, discipline and hard work, and then you could still slip at the start and ruin it all. And to "PRESS" give the allusion of STRAINING. Paul, just three years before his death, is unsure. Maybe not as unsure as you are, but he knows the standard and he knows his fallen self. But Paul's HOPE was not in himself for he said just before his death in 2nd Timothy 1:12;

"For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."

Your worry will not get better. Just when you think that you are going ahead, you will suffer a setback like you are now suffering. Paul's worry did not diminish. The more he served and the more he had contact with his Lord, the more he knew that he was not up to the job. The goalpost did not get closer. But he had done the cleverest thing possible. He had committed his cause of sanctification to THE ONE WHO IS ABLE. He did not stop WORKING. He did not stop self-discipline. He did not stop denying himself. But he knew that if there was a resource that would bring him through, it was the Lord Who dwelt IN HIM. It is, "... which is Christ IN you, the hope of glory." (Colossians 1:27b).

This is the way you have to go. Your posting shows that you are serious about your Christian walk. Don't tell us. Tell the Lord. Don't tell us you won't make because the listeners are ALL struggling with the same thing. Tell THE LORD. Commit your beginning to Him. Commit your journey to Him. And commit your Judgment Day to Him. And then, let Him do His work and you be diligent to do yours. THAT ... is your only hope. AND IT IS THE BEST ONE OF ALL!

seek the Lord's approval not your own, and certainly not the approval of any super christians.

you are not the judge of what you should do be or have, here or the in the Kingdom of God, if you belong to the Lord. and if the Lord wants you to do something, then He will let you know, its not a secret He's not going to require you to do what you don't know.

read the bible learn about Him what He says and does, what He thinks.
    Let there be Light

I love the quote, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise" (Psalm 51:17).

The questions and concerns you have are great and wonderful. It's clear by reading your posts that you want to be in the grace of God's love. It looks like you are exactly where God wants you to be and is calling you, causing you to seek him and his glory.

If I could add anything or say anything as a response, would be to know what God truly wants from you. What God wants from you is for you to love the Lord your God with all your whole heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your whole strength. And also to love your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:29-31). He wants a relationship with you. If we try any other way to get his approval, then we are definitely going to fall short.

I know you feel distance in your relationship with God. Unlike relationships here on Earth that we develop, the relationship with God is somewhat comparable. In our relationship with him when we are at our closest times, are when we feel connected and can feel his love. We also give our love. But comparing this to natural relationships, our love is strongest when we have no guilt in our hearts, knowing we have not done anything to cause our significant love one to be hurt. Or for that fact, anything that would cause upset. The relationship with God is similar, we can feel our closest when we are being the person God expects us to be. But when we feel distant from God, or feel separated, then know for a certain that it was not God that moved. It is not God who has put distance in the relationship.

What normally puts distances in our relationships (as with any other type of relationships) are distractions, our sins, our iniquities. Know of a certain there is no way we can ever please God in the flesh (Romans 8:8). We can never be good enough for his standard as long as he is not first in our lives. This day and time, there are so many distractions that allow us to drift away from his presence. Then we begin to examine our life, our actions. Then we have feelings of quilt, or feelings that we are not measuring up. Sometimes feelings of betrayal, and feelings we're not doing enough. In my opinion, this is not what Got wants anyway. We have no great reward of him in things we do. I have learned years ago that we can never out give God. But how many times have we all felt guilt? Its a great thing to feel condemnation. Without this Godly sorrow, there is no hope at all.

I would like to give an example in the bible of someone we can all relate to when we are feeling down and out in our walk with him. Consider Jonah the prophet. We often look back at this man as a man who disobeyed God. A man who was only interested in doing things to please himself. Yes, all this is true. But let me present another aspect of Jonah. Jonah was a man that knew how to have a relationship with God. This was a man who feared God. This was a man who knew God and knew his awesome power. He also knew God was a kind and merciful God, but he knew that God was a God that would cause great destruction on those who turn their back on him. We all know the story so I'm not going to recap, but notice how Jonah had such an open communication with God. There were times that in my opinion, he was probably too frank with him. He sat there on the outer edge of Nineveh and argued with him. We can see this when he saw that God was not raining down fire and brimstone on Nineveh (Jonah 4). We also can see he grumbled to God when he was discomforted by the heat. He complained when God took away the gourd that gave him shadow from the heat of the sun. All this was during his service to God. But Jonah had a relationship with him. He continually talked with him and God used him mightily.

One thing is clear, Jonah didn't appear to be so concerned with honoring God with his works. Even in light of God giving him clear direction to go to Nineveh to preach repentance to the city. We know how the story goes. How that he followed his own mind and sat sail for Tarshish instead. If you want, you could look at Tarshish as a distraction to Jonah. But in all of this, I want to stress that God loved Jonah and Jonah loved God.

That is what God wants from us. I wouldn't give too much weight in the things you are doing or the things you are not doing. As we can see by the life of Jonah, God has a way of getting his service out of us. We can either go willingly, or we can be dragged there by a big whale. One way or the other, we are going to go to God's Nineveh. But all in all, what God wants is our heart.

I will conclude by leaving a verse:
    (John 4:23-24) "But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

God bless you.

Blog Entries

Hi, what I am going to say to you nearly all on hear will disagree with.
    Worry and fear are feelings that make us understand that maybe something is wrong with us.
    You know that there is something wrong with you, but you can't put your finger on it because you can't seem to find the cause.
    Exactly the same as me.

I can tell you now it is sin, you are either doing it or have done it or thought it, but you are ignorant of it, it has been hidden from you by the great deceiver.
    How do I know this, because I was also ignorant and it was only when I understood my sin that I then understood how wretched a mind I had.
    When we sin we change the way our minds work, we corrupt it, we live a life a slave to sin, not knowing any different, because we don't know the truth.

Jesus is the truth and the life,, what does this mean, it means if you do what he says and do what Jesus tells us to do we can not only live again but defeat Satan and protect ourselves from him, in fact you are protecting yourself from yourself.

It is your mind that has been corrupted, and Jesus is the only way to un corrupt it.

Firstly find and understand your sin, if it's lust you must deny yourself, stop your mind thinking it or doing it, fight with all your strength to defeat Satan.
    If it's greed, envy, pride, judgemental, money, all the things that Jesus tells us we should not be, fight to remove it from your mind.
    It is a war raging in you as Paul describes.
    Once you understand your sin, then repent, a true repentance is a realisation that you have sinned greatly before God and you want to return to his presence, you are more sorry than you have ever been before and know he is our Lord and he has seen everything we have done AND HE HAS HEARD EVERY SINFUL THOUGHT THAT YOU HAVE HAD EVEN THOUGH YOU THOUGHT IT WAS IN SECRET.

Imagine someone who could look into your mind, would he like what he sees, how imbarrised would you be if he could see every little secret you had kept from the world, well God knows them, but your not alone, we have all done them and kept them.

Now you must deny yourself daily, pray to God daily and do the will of him that made us and do as Jesus asks.
    Do not worry
    Do not fear
    Do not think what you shall wear or eat.
    Do not think about tomorrow.
    Do not give thought for for your life
    Do not fear the one that can kill the body.
    But fear the one that can kill the body and the mind in hell, Satan and sin.

Put all your trust in Jesus and belive he is telling you the truth, who ever believes in me is my desiple..
    But I think it's read, WHO EVER BELIVES WHAT I SAY AND DOES WHAT I SAY IS MY TRUE DISIPLE.

You know inside that just believing in Jesus is not enough as those hear belive.
    You must prove to Jesus and God that you have salt and can endure what this world is and defeat it.

It's a long road and a narrow gate but I can assure you because I am still on that path and still trying to do the will of God and doing as I am commanded my mind is being renewed, yes I had to make the first step but God through Jesus can help you.

I hope this helps you, it may not as it is very difficult to grasp something another has understood by doing what is asked.
    How can anybody understand some of the pain you have suffered and how you overcame difficulties only by trying to explain with words that many will not understand or belive.

I do not understand how God works and how by doing his will etc, how he is able to bring our minds to be free but I know he is patient and very loving to allow me to live.

I died and now I live in Christ.

Thread Information