Thread: Baptism Debate - Catholic vs Protestant

Baptism Debate - Catholic vs Protestant

Here’s a recent debate between the protestant calvinist radio show personality Matt Slick and a traditional Catholic. Its two part videos. The topic was baptism. So who do all of you believe did the best job at presenting biblical truth?

Here’s the 1st video to the beginning of the debate…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-FXeXhIKw&t=556s

And here is the 2nd part of that debate....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCH3qQ8h2t8&t=2188s

Yuma, AZ where chocolate melts in the fridge

Re: Baptism Debate - Catholic vs Protestant

I only listened to a minute or so of the first one. The argument seems to be "tradition", that the church has always done water baptism. Well, it was also the tradition to thoroughly discourage reading the scriptures.

It only depends on who you worship. If you worship the church you don't need to learn the bible. If you worship God you really should learn the book that He gave for that purpose. The entire argument is settled by Acts 1:5.

Acts 1:5 King James Version (KJV)
    5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

I have met people who could not read that verse as it is written because it conflicts with their church tradition. The 'but' sets the two baptisms in contrast so they simply omit it because their church tradition says they are equal.

If you are not sure, it is repeated in Acts 10 & 11.

Acts 11:16-17 King James Version (KJV)
    16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
    I only listened to a minute or so of the first one. The argument seems to be "tradition", that the church has always done water baptism. Well, it was also the tradition to thoroughly discourage reading the scriptures.

It only depends on who you worship. If you worship the church you don't need to learn the bible. If you worship God you really should learn the book that He gave for that purpose. The entire argument is settled by Acts 1:5.

5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

I have met people who could not read that verse as it is written because it conflicts with their church tradition. The 'but' sets the two baptisms in contrast so they simply omit it because their church tradition says they are equal.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
    What’s the point you’re making?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Yuma, AZ where chocolate melts in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    What’s the point you’re making?
    My point is debates don't count. God said it, that settles it. It doesn't matter who believes or doesn't believe or has a better idea or what denomination teaches it differently or anything else.

But if you prefer to hold to some other way, ok, you are on your own.

Blog Entries

My point is debates don't count. God said it, that settles it. It doesn't matter who believes or doesn't believe or has a better idea or what denomination teaches it differently or anything else.

But if you prefer to hold to some other way, ok, you are on your own.
    Debates can be good for a couple things:

1) unless I am an infallible interpreter, I could be wrong. It’s good to listen to different views.
    2) if my view is corrects, perhaps I can pick up a point or two or five to share with those who don’t agree.
    3) it is good to hear an opposing view from the horse’s mouth so I don’t create a straw man of the opposition.

I haven’t listened to this debate. My main concern is the credentials of the participants. Does the RC representative have any credentials? Is he just “Joe Catholic” or is he a priest or professor at a Catholic seminary?

Are you an infallible interpreter of Scripture?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Acts 10: 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Acts 8:36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?” [37] [c] 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

Thread Information