Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What time of day was Jesus's death, burial, resurrection

Re: What time of day was Jesus's death, burial, resurrection

Luke 23:55 NIV The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. 56 Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.

The women rested on the Sabbath [singular], not two Sabbaths. They rested for one day.

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. 2 And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb.

The women bought spices on Saturday night, prepared them at home, and went to the tomb in the morning.

Walls, you had an interesting point about the Triumphal Entry on Sunday being 4 days before the killing of the Passover Lamb. One important detail is that it was on Sunday evening. Four days after Sunday evening-Monday afternoon is Thursday evening-Friday afternoon.

Mark 11:11 Young's Literal Translation And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple, and having looked round on all things, it being now evening, he went forth to Bethany with the twelve.

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Well he stopped a year short.....

37AD the Passover was on Thursday (starting Wednesday night) Wednesday was the 14th day then at evening became the 15th day.

Thus agreeing with the point Thursday to Sunday

5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.
    6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.

Also there are those which hold that Christ was born 4AD thus making him 33 upon death....
    If you had of scanned the link I posted you would have seen why they stopped at 36 AD.
    The powers ruling had to fit the history.. the high priest Caiaphas was there from A.D. 18 to 36. Pontius Pilate ruled from A.D. 26 to A.D. 36 . So it could not have been 37 AD.

There were other things taken into consideration too... if you had of scanned the link you would have seen all the 7 reasons they came to the date they did.

Between Bethany and Jerusalem
    “Six days before feast days of passover” : Sabbath [9th day of First Month]
    John 12:1-11 “Six days before feast days of passover” (29)
    B) The Last Week (sequence to day and hour)
    Palm-Sunday : Entrance into Jerusalem : 5 days before Abib 15 is Abib 10
    “Tenth day of the First Month” Exodus 12:3 Ezekiel 40:1 “Bone Day”
    John 12:12-19 “the next day” (32)
    = Mark 11:1-11 Bethania; entered Jerusalem; entered temple; late unto Bethany (33)
    = Matthew 21:1-11 Bethphage; Jerusalem in (36)
    = Luke 19:28-44 Bethphage and Bethany; into Jerusalem (38)
    Last Week: Monday : 4 days before Abib 15 is Abib 11
    Mark 11:12-14 “the morrow Bethany ... fig tree” (41)
    = Luke 21:29-33 “behold the fig tree” (41)
    Mark 11:15-17 “into temple”; “cast out them that sold”; “moneychangers”; “house of prayer” (42)
    = Matthew 21:12-14 “into the temple ... cast out them that sold” (43)
    = Luke 19:45,46 “into the temple ... cast out them that sold ... house of prayer” (43)
    = Matthew 21:15-17 “children in the temple” (44)
    = John 12:20-26 “Greeks … corn of wheat … for this cause I came”: 27 (44)
    Mark 11:18 “sought how they might destroy him” (45)
    = Luke 19:47,48 “sought to destroy him” (46)
    Mark 11:19 “late ... he went out of the city” (46)
    = Matthew 21:17 “out of the city into Bethany ... slept in sheepfold” (46)
    Last Week: Tuesday : TEACHING 3 days before (Friday) Abib 15 is Abib 12
    Mark 11:20 “early ... fig tree dried up” (47)
    = Matthew 21:18-22; 45,46 “in the morning ... fig tree” cursed and “immediately dried up” (47)
    Mark 11:27,28 “in Jerusalem in temple ... by what authority” (48)
    = Matthew 21:23-25 “in temple ... what authority” (49)
    = Luke 20:1-8 “one of Those Days ... what authority” (50)
    Mark 12:35-37 “Jesus in the temple ... Dawid” (51)
    = Matthew 22:23; 41-46 “the Same Day” (52)
    = Matthew 24:1-3 “out of tempel … not be left one stone … on Mount of Olives disciples came privately” (53)
    = Matthew 26:1-2 “after two day ... crucified” (53)
    = John 12:27-36 “this hour ... if I be lifted up from the earth” (54)
    = Luke 21:34-38 “on One of Those Days ... Watch that That Day come not upon you unawares” (56)
    Last Week: Wednesday : 2 days before (Friday) Abib 15 is Abib 13
    Mark 14:1,2 “after two days was the unleavened (days)”“sought how might take him ... not on feast” (57)
    = Matthew 26:3-5 “consulted that they might take Jesus ... not on feast” (57)
    = Luke 22:1,2 “feast drew near ... sought how” (58)
    Mark 14:3-9 “house of Simon .. spikenard on head” (58)
    = Matteus 26:6-13 “house of Simon .. spikenard on head” (59)
    Mark 14:10,11 “Judas to priests ... promised him money” (61)
    = Matthew 26:14-16 “Judas to priests ... covenanted thirty pieces silver” (61)
    = Luke 22:3-6 “satan in Judas ... communed with priests ... covenanted money” (61)
    = John 12:37-50 “he that rejecteth me ... receiveth not my words” (62)

B) Three days : "the first day"
    Last Week: Thursday Abib 14 was 1 day “before” (Friday) Abib 15 (69)
    2Chronicles 35:4,6,10,14 “prepared passover … killed the passover”
    = Exodus 12:15a “when they removed leaven”
    = Leviticus 23:22,10 “when ye reap the corners ... bring the first sheaf”
    Mark 14:12—15:41 “when they always killed the passover”
    = Luke 22:7—23:49 “when they had to kill the passover”
    = Mark 14:2 “not on the feast”
    = Matthew 26:5 “not on the feast”
    = John 19:14-30 “The Preparation of the Passover”
    = Matthew 26:17—27:56 “the first day leaven was removed / the first day without leaven”
    = John 12:32,34; 8:28 “the Son of Man must be lifted up”
    = John 13:1—19:30 “before the feast ... his hour ... it was night ...”
    = 1Corinthians 11:23 "The night in which the Lord was betrayed"
    = John 16:32 “the hour ... ye shall be scattered every man”
    “Three days” the second of :
    = “the first day seven days ye shall eat unleavened bread” Exodus 12:15b; 12:18b Leviticus 23:6
    = Last Week: Friday : Feast Day Sabbath of Passover was “Abib 15” (Friday)
    Exodus 12:15,17,18,42,51
    Mark 15:42-47 “having been evening already … since The Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath having begun”
    = John 19:31-42 “since the Preparation had begun ... because That Day was great-day-sabbath (of passover)”
    = Matthew 27:57-61
    = Luke 23:50-56a

Nhosrebe, I have gone back through and read your posts, and I am still unclear to just what your stand is. Could you just say the day you feel the Lord was crucified on? Was it Wednesday, Thursday or Friday to you? You make all these posts without stating what the day is. To me I am going with the Friday to Sunday. What is your stand?

Jesus did not ~miss~ his last passover; HE WAS “The Lamb of God”, “Our Passover”; He SUFFERED the last of all passovers having died the death of death having BEEN “The Passover-of-Yahweh” : “once for all”.
    Jesus ATE the Passover of Yahweh having EATEN AND DRUNK the bread of sorrow and wine of blood so dark and thick and bitter.
    He ate ON TIME : at “the God-given and therefore eschatological imperative “WHOLE AND WHOLENESS OF THE SELFSAME BONE-DAY” of the Passover of Yahweh “on the FIRST day they always had to KILL the passover and REMOVE LEAVEN on” … “on the fourteenth day of the First Month”.
    He had died BEFORE “~that Friday~” the Sixth Day of the week—BEFORE it would have “begun”—three hours BEFORE “the Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath had begun when already EVENING HAD COME”—‘ehn paraskeuehs ho estin prosabbaton … ehdeh opsias genomenehs’. Mark 15:42 John 19:31 Matthew 27:57 Luke 23:50.
    He was not “~buried just prior to the Seder meal~”, but He was taken away to be crucified in “~John 18:28; 19:14~”. Both John 18:29 and 19:14 happened “six o’clock in the morning when it was The Preparation OF THE PASSOVER”—“the fourteenth day of the First Month”. 2Chronicles 35.
    “~…and Mat. 28:1~” happened “mid-afternoon on the Sabbath”, that is 12+24+21=57 hours after or the 12 daylight hours of the 14th plus the 24 hours of “the whole day BONE-Day” of the 15th on which He was BURIED plus the 12 hours of the night of the Sabbath plus the nine hours from "the morning after The Preparation" Matthew 27:62 to “mid-afternoon on the Sabbath before the First Day of the week when there was a great earthquake…” and He rose from the dead.” Matthew 28:1.
    So Jesus missed no passover, but people miss the facts of the “whole and wholeness” of the “three days and three nights” of the “three days”, “on the third day” of which “CHRIST ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES ROSE FROM THE DEAD.” 1Corinthians 15:3,4.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhosrebe View Post
    He had died BEFORE “~that Friday~”
    You have a hard time answering a simple question... judging by this you feel he died on Thursday then right? I already proved with history and the dates of passover why it didn't happen on a Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by greenonions View Post
    Luke 23:55 NIV The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. 56 Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.

The women rested on the Sabbath [singular], not two Sabbaths. They rested for one day.

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. 2 And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb.

The women bought spices on Saturday night, prepared them at home, and went to the tomb in the morning.

Walls, you had an interesting point about the Triumphal Entry on Sunday being 4 days before the killing of the Passover Lamb. One important detail is that it was on Sunday evening. Four days after Sunday evening-Monday afternoon is Thursday evening-Friday afternoon.

Mark 11:11 Young's Literal Translation And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple, and having looked round on all things, it being now evening, he went forth to Bethany with the twelve.

Mark 11:11 in a single 'uncertain' variant reading marginally references 'opsia' Noun "evening" for 'opse' Adverb "late" the reading of the bulk of manuscripts.

"Late" – 'opse' – "late (day-time)" in Mark 11:11 —opposite of "in the (daylight) morning" – 'tehi epaurion' in verse 12.

"Late" – 'opse' – "late (day-time)" in Mark 11:11 —opposite of "early" - 'prohï' in Matthew 21:18.

“Late” – ‘opse’ – “late (day-time)” in Mark 11:11 – “in the day” – ‘en tehi hehmerai’ / ‘kath’ hehmeran’ in Luke 19:42,47 = “in the days” – ‘tas hehmeras’ in 21:37 —opposite of “at night” – ‘tas nuktas’ in 21:37 and “in the morning” – ‘ohrthrinos’ in 38.

‘Young's Literal Translation’ is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kyCyd View Post
    You have a hard time answering a simple question... judging by this you feel he died on Thursday then right? I already proved with history and the dates of passover why it didn't happen on a Thursday.
    I answered before you asked which day of the week Jesus was crucified and died on with day and time and date complete. You could not have read my post; that's why you immediately after asked me exactly what I have given by post. Then, as it happened, I followed up your question post and AGAIN stated the day of the week and the time on That Day Christ was killed on.

Now this post from you, you expecting from me the same information, again. Is there something I can do for you to help you read over and above having answered you with Scripture and Scripture only?

O yah there is. I could have applauded, should have, your extra-Biblical scientific achievements of having "'proved with history and the dates of passover why it didn't happen on a Thursday'". Nevertheless I prefer, not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhosrebe View Post
    I answered before you asked which day of the week Jesus was crucified and died on with day and time and date complete. You could not have read my post; that's why you immediately after asked me exactly what I have given by post. Then, as it happened, I followed up your question post and AGAIN stated the day of the week and the time on That Day Christ was killed on.

Now this post from you, you expecting from me the same information, again. Is there something I can do for you to help you read over and above having answered you with Scripture and Scripture only?

O yah there is. I could have applauded, should have, your extra-Biblical scientific achievements of having "'proved with history and the dates of passover why it didn't happen on a Thursday'". Nevertheless I prefer, not to.
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time following anything you post. It might just be me...I didn't ask you for scriptures...I ask you to state the day Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. One word would have answered the question.

But that is ok, I just am not able to follow what you post.. as I said it might just be me.

This negative response deserves no reply nor is it needed. All what you have questioned has been already written in the thread.
    Not being negative just factual..
    How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don't even have the strength to turn off your TV?

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time following anything you post. It might just be me...I didn't ask you for scriptures...I ask you to state the day Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. One word would have answered the question.

But that is ok, I just am not able to follow what you post.. as I said it might just be me.
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time using anything than Scripture to post. It might just be me...I can think of only Scriptures to post...I ask you to accept the day John called "the Preparation OF THE PASSOVER" and not "the Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath" Friday. Only God's Word can answer your question.

Blog Entries

If you had of scanned the link I posted you would have seen why they stopped at 36 AD.
    if you had of scanned the link you would have seen all the 7 reasons they came to the date they did.
    Ok then let me be the first to say it couldn't have been on a Thursday. These are the dates of Passover, as you can see there is no Thursday.
    Monday, April 18, A.D. 29
    Friday, April 7, A.D. 30
    Tuesday, March 27, A.D. 31
    Monday, April 14, A.D. 32
    Friday, April 3, A.D. 33
    Wednesday, March 24, A.D. 34
    Tuesday, April 12, A.D. 35
    Saturday, March 31, A.D. 36

This is the link to this site in explaining why they think by all info we have that it was Friday AD 33.
    Thanks for pointing that out......

HOWEVER. I may have the year wrong but Christ had to die on Wednesday 3pm and he rose on the first day of the week Sunday (sat night at even up to sunset)

How do you reconcile if Christ died on Friday three days later is Monday night resurrection at the earliest

Christ rose on the first day of the week which is Sunday!!!! A Friday death does not fit!!

I am still investigating the dates of Passover during the time of Christ's death. The days and dates you posted don't harmonize with all others as there are many variations and appear to be in error.. For example below. This site says Wednesday was death and Passover while still maintaining the fact that Jesus had to be raised on the first day of the week Sunday. Another says in 30AD Thursday April 6th was Passover. There is much deviation from your site.

28 AD Passover Monday, March 29
    29 AD Passover Saturday, April 16
    30 AD Passover Wednesday, April 5
    31 AD Passsover Monday, March 26
    32 AD Passover, Monday, April 14
    33 AD Passover, Friday, April 3

So right now I am focusing in on 30AD. I believe this year that Passover started the even on Wednesday night. I did say Christ's birth 4AD in error and it should have been 4BC. In which 30AD does fit 33 years of age.

Clue #3 may be in error at Caesar co-reigned start 12AD. Thus in the 15th year may start John the Baptist ministry starting as early as 26AD.

In the 4th century AD, Hillel, in contrast to existing biblical instructions, REVEALED the means by which the Sanhedrin council determined the days, from beginning unto the end, of the religious calendar. This was the revelation of how, but not necessarily when, today's calendar is determined. The "when" is believed to have been during the Babylonian captivity, or possibly even before that. In other, this "non-biblical system" was probably being used at the time of the first advent.

Why is that important? Under that system, Passover NEVER falls on a Monday, Wednesday, or a Friday. This means that Passover only falls on one of the other days of the week (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday). This would eliminate the possibility of a Passover crucifixion taking place on a Wednesday or Friday, making Thursday the only sensible day for crucifixion. Of course, that is if there were unbiblical rules being used for the calendar.

Blessings
    The PuP

Thanks for pointing that out......

HOWEVER. I may have the year wrong but Christ had to die on Wednesday 3pm and he rose on the first day of the week Sunday (sat night at even up to sunset)

How do you reconcile if Christ died on Friday three days later is Monday night resurrection at the earliest

Christ rose on the first day of the week which is Sunday!!!! A Friday death does not fit!!

I am still investigating the dates of Passover during the time of Christ's death. The days and dates you posted don't harmonize with all others as there are many variations.

Clue #3 may be in error at Caesar co-reigned start 12AD. Thus in the 15th year may start John the Baptist ministry starting as early as 26AD.
    I stated that on post #19. I count Friday as a day...Saturday as a day... and Sunday the third day... the day he rose on.

I am not into the 3 night thing...that was covered on that other link I had posted about the 72 hours not needed.
    Let me know if you find anything different out on Passover days, for now, for me, I am sticking with the original traditional thinking of it. I don't see evidence for it being different.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesachpup View Post
    In the 4th century AD, Hillel, in contrast to existing biblical instructions, REVEALED the means by which the Sanhedrin council determined the days, from beginning unto the end, of the religious calendar. This was the revelation of how, but not necessarily when, today's calendar is determined. The "when" is believed to have been during the Babylonian captivity, or possibly even before that. In other, this "non-biblical system" was probably being used at the time of the first advent.

Why is that important? Under that system, Passover NEVER falls on a Monday, Wednesday, or a Friday. This means that Passover only falls on one of the other days of the week (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday). This would eliminate the possibility of a Passover crucifixion taking place on a Wednesday or Friday, making Thursday the only sensible day for crucifixion. Of course, that is if there were unbiblical rules being used for the calendar.

Blessings
    The PuP
    Well this is interesting...and could make a difference. Do you have a link to read about this?

Thread Information