Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DANIEL 9:27 TWO CHARACTERS NOT ONE

Re: DANIEL 9:27 TWO CHARACTERS NOT ONE

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    Sure, Jesus was the Anointed One who finished the sacrifice. The second character was Titus the Roman emperor’s son. Notice, the destruction of Jerusalem is attributed to “the people of the prince,” not to the prince himself. Such a distinction would be superfluous, if it were not for the fact that Titus had instructed his troops to preserve the temple, but they disobeyed orders and torched it anyway. The people of the prince did it!
    Okay yes I can agree that Jesus is the one who confirms the promise. In v25 an anointed one was promised, context would argue that this should be the fulfilled promise of v27. And Jesus put "an end to sacrifice" 3.5 years later. Firstly he was the final lamb sacrifice, ending the need for OT sacrifices. Secondly Jesus ended his life of sacrifice here on earth.

Regarding Titus, I have a few objections, firstly how did Titus start this 3.5 year period and at which date?
    How do you justify a gap in the 70 sevens?
    The Jerusalem aspect of the Roman War was from late 66AD to August 70AD. Where do you get the 3.5 years?

Blog Entries

I have the weeks as consecutive. The fall of Jerusalem and destruction of the temple did not take place within the actual 70 weeks; the prophet was simply providing information of the aftermath to the weeks in order to explain what the eventual outcome would be.

You project the last 3.5 weeks to the 2nd coming. I have them from the Cross to the opening of the gospel to the Gentiles. (Acts 10)
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    I agree we need to be careful on pronouns. Nevertheless those translators after considering everything including the original KJV translation still chose to give the impression of two characters. If they had weak reasons for doing that, I wonder why they didn't remove the second pronoun like the CSB? Here are some more translations that also have two characters:

ASV he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease; and upon the wing of abominations shall come one that maketh desolate

AMPC he shall cause the sacrifice and offering to cease; and upon the wing or pinnacle of abominations [shall come] one who makes desolate

ESV he shall put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate

MEV he shall cause the sacrifice and the offering to cease. And on the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate

NET he will bring sacrifices and offerings to a halt. On the wing of abominations will come one who destroys

RSV he shall cause sacrifice and offering to cease; and upon the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate

TLV he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on a wing of abominations will come one who destroys

WEB he shall cause the sacrifice and the offering to cease; and on the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate

And that list is aside from those in the opening post, and aside from those who refer to a later "desolator will come", also indicating two characters. This really puts doubt into the view that the antichrist will end sacrifices, then also be involved with an abomination.
    I put the Hebrew and the Greek so you can understand WHY ALL of the versions you listed put "one". This is because the "one" is speaking of the cause of the desolation. IOW it is not a "character" by which I think you mean person, but rather is the thing, which IS the abomination.
    However translators strive not to put their own interpretation but stick as closely as they can to the original, which sometimes means in English we get phrases which suggests things to an English mind, but are not present to the Hebrew way of thinking.
    I posted the source and other translations which show that there is no support for a DEFINITE second character.
    Further you stop short where we have this:
    For one week this foreigner will make a firm agreement with many people, and halfway through this week, he will end all sacrifices and offerings. Then the "Horrible Thing" that causes destruction will be put there. And it will stay there until the time God has decided to destroy this one who destroys. (CEV)

The second part of the verse shows the one who makes desolate is destroyed, which clearly connects not so much with the "thing" or "object" or "one", but rather with the "he" who is the cause of the abomination in the first place. Also clearly IF we take this as meaning the End Times, then it is the destruction of the AC, which makes it the SAME character as also noted who places the abomination in the first place. This means we have a CONSISTENT single character and not two.

I have the weeks as consecutive. The fall of Jerusalem and destruction of the temple did not take place within the actual 70 weeks; the prophet was simply providing information of the aftermath to the weeks in order to explain what the eventual outcome would be.

You project the last 3.5 weeks to the 2nd coming. I have them from the Cross to the opening of the gospel to the Gentiles. (Acts 10)
    Okay so you don't see the highlighted section as within the last seven?
    27 And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.”

If that is your view, I guess it is possible to regard the bold part as outside the last seven. The middle of the week is mentioned, one would expect the final half-seven to have some description. Your view is possible, but contrary to the obvious flow of events that would suggest the events surrounding the end of the 490 year period deserve some mention.

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    The second part of the verse shows the one who makes desolate is destroyed, which clearly connects not so much with the "thing" or "object" or "one", but rather with the "he" who is the cause of the abomination in the first place. Also clearly IF we take this as meaning the End Times, then it is the destruction of the AC, which makes it the SAME character as also noted who places the abomination in the first place. This means we have a CONSISTENT single character and not two.
    "one" can also be destroyed. Yes definitely the second character (one) is consistently associated with the destruction of the antichrist and the abomination.

I believe the first character is Jesus, who confirms the promise (context of v25 , a promised anointed one). He then puts an end to sacrifice 3.5 years later.

Blog Entries

"one" can also be destroyed. Yes definitely the second character (one) is consistently associated with the destruction of the antichrist and the abomination.

I believe the first character is Jesus, who confirms the promise (context of v25 , a promised anointed one). He then puts an end to sacrifice 3.5 years later.
    There are other characters in this prophecy - not just Jesus. However I thought your focus was solely on verse 27 where you seem to be claiming TWO characters.
    The point is that the destruction of the "one" is associated with the destruction of the AC, which therefore means the "one" IS the AC.
    Now that leads to a different question which is who is "he" who is mentioned at the START of the verse.
    The "he" mentioned here is reference by what he does - that is stopping sacrifice and offering which is a temple statement and is connected as an AoD through the earlier prophecy of Daniel which was fulfilled by A4E, and by the rest of the verse about the AoD. This points to the AC.
    It also relates to the previous verse, in which we have a "prince".
    So you have the "prince" as someone who stops sacrifice and offering and who causes an abomination and who is destroyed.
    A "prince" whose people destroy the city and temple.
    So your decision as to whether there are TWO characters or ONE is based not upon what verse 27 states, but upon how you interpret the preceding verses. The possibility is then there for either understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    There are other characters in this prophecy - not just Jesus. However I thought your focus was solely on verse 27 where you seem to be claiming TWO characters.
    The point is that the destruction of the "one" is associated with the destruction of the AC, which therefore means the "one" IS the AC.
    Correct.

Now that leads to a different question which is who is "he" who is mentioned at the START of the verse.
    The "he" mentioned here is reference by what he does - that is stopping sacrifice and offering which is a temple statement and is connected as an AoD through the earlier prophecy of Daniel which was fulfilled by A4E, and by the rest of the verse about the AoD. This points to the AC.
    It also relates to the previous verse, in which we have a "prince".
    So you have the "prince" as someone who stops sacrifice and offering and who causes an abomination and who is destroyed.
    A "prince" whose people destroy the city and temple.
    So your decision as to whether there are TWO characters or ONE is based not upon what verse 27 states, but upon how you interpret the preceding verses. The possibility is then there for either understanding
    That is great that you see alternative possibilities there. Yes context and interpretation of the previous verses determine who the "he" is in v27. History shows that a Jewish civil war ruined/corrupted the city and temple, then the Romans destroyed it quickly like a flood. This civil war madness among the Jewish leaders is something often missed when interpreting v26. In addition a coming prince is in both v25 and v26, and there is no reason to differentiate them, because the text does not hint at that.

Thus I see 5 reasons why the "he" in v27 is Jesus. His kinsmen did actually ruin/corrupt(shachath) the temple, and he is the coming ruler so the "he" in v27 refers back to the ruler in v26. In verse 27 he did confirm the promise of v25 , and he did put an end to sacrifice, and this was 3.5 years after his coming/confirming.

Was he associated with an abomination and did he come to his end? No that is for the future antichrist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude
    Okay so you don't see the highlighted section as within the last seven?
    27 And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.”

If that is your view, I guess it is possible to regard the bold part as outside the last seven.
    I don't see the bolded section as within the last seven. Some Bibles place a full stop which makes it clearer. "He shall put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall come one ..." ESV

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude
    The middle of the week is mentioned, one would expect the final half-seven to have some description. Your view is possible, but contrary to the obvious flow of events that would suggest the events surrounding the end of the 490 year period deserve some mention.
    The final half-seven is mentioned in the beginning of the prophecy. "Seventy weeks are determined upon your people ..." It makes sense when we realize that the half-seven following the Cross was the period when the gospel was delivered to the Jews first. After the full 490 years had expired, the apostles were instructed to take the gospel to the Gentiles. (Acts 10)
    "Your name and renown

Sure, Jesus was the Anointed One who finished the sacrifice. The second character was Titus the Roman emperor’s son. Notice, the destruction of Jerusalem is attributed to “the people of the prince,” not to the prince himself. Such a distinction would be superfluous, if it were not for the fact that Titus had instructed his troops to preserve the temple, but they disobeyed orders and torched it anyway. The people of the prince did it!
    Yes, I haven't taken much pains to figure out if this 2nd figure, the "prince whose people" destroy the city and the sanctuary. I've said Cestius Gallus at times, and Titus at other times. It seems more reasonable to say Titus, since he actually oversaw the destruction of the temple, but I don't know?

It may even be that "the prince" is a generic term that may relate more to the *office,* rather than a specific individual. The people of [any] Roman general "will desolate the city and the sanctuary." It will be the prince who oversees the army at the time they destroy Jerusalem.

Interestingly, in referring to this passage Jesus actually says "armies," plural. So two generals are involved. So the general office of "prince" is who oversees this destruction. One prince oversees the initial sign in 66 AD. The following prince oversees the actual destruction. But which of these is actually *meant* in Daniel I'm not sure?

I'm also a little confused about the end that is supposed to come upon the perpetrator, at the end of vs. 27?

Dan 9.until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.

Some versions read, "until the end that is decreed is poured out on *it.*"

If this is a judgment directed upon "the prince who is to come," then it seems more likely to be Cestius Gallus, since he was defeated after 66 AD. Titus, on the other hand, went on to become emperor, and did not appear to be judged after his desolation of Jerusalem.

But other versions that read this to be a desolation upon "it," seem to indicate that this is simply a reiteration of the desolation of Jerusalem.
    But thanks for making me think about it!

Yes, I see it very similarly. However, I tend to see the final "Week" as fulfilled in only a half Week. But I could go either way.

Yes, I haven't taken much pains to figure out if this 2nd figure, the "prince whose people" destroy the city and the sanctuary. I've said Cestius Gallus at times, and Titus at other times. It seems more reasonable to say Titus, since he actually oversaw the destruction of the temple, but I don't know?

It may even be that "the prince" is a generic term that may relate more to the *office,* rather than a specific individual. The people of [any] Roman general "will desolate the city and the sanctuary." It will be the prince who oversees the army at the time they destroy Jerusalem.

Interestingly, in referring to this passage Jesus actually says "armies," plural. So two generals are involved. So the general office of "prince" is who oversees this destruction. One prince oversees the initial sign in 66 AD. The following prince oversees the actual destruction. But which of these is actually *meant* in Daniel I'm not sure?

I'm also a little confused about the end that is supposed to come upon the perpetrator, at the end of vs. 27?

If this is a judgment directed upon "the prince who is to come," then it seems more likely to be Cestius Gallus, since he was defeated after 66 AD. Titus, on the other hand, went on to become emperor, and did not appear to be judged after his desolation of Jerusalem.

But other versions that read this to be a desolation upon "it," seem to indicate that this is simply a reiteration of the desolation of Jerusalem.

The final half-seven is mentioned in the beginning of the prophecy. "Seventy weeks are determined upon your people ..." It makes sense when we realize that the half-seven following the Cross was the period when the gospel was delivered to the Jews first. After the full 490 years had expired, the apostles were instructed to take the gospel to the Gentiles. (Acts 10)
    Your view does not require the abomination to relate to a 3.5 year period, even though it is mentioned in the context of the middle of the seven . Yet the abomination of Daniel 12 does relate to a 3.5 year period. On the balance of logic, there seems to be more strength in relating the two together. What are your comments?

...the two "prince" of Daniel 9--one in verse 25 [referring to Jesus and Lk19:41-44/Zech9:9 having to do particularly with "the city"]... the other in verses 26,27 [a separate "prince"]

--if referring to just one singular "prince" throughout, then the words "___THAT SHALL COME" would be superfluous. If verse 26 were referring to the same "prince" as in verse 25, then merely to say something like "he" or "the prince" would be sufficient to be speaking of him [/same]. But since the words "[prince] THAT SHALL COME" is added (which would be unnecessary otherwise), this shows a separate person/prince (from the one in verse 25)

--the passage seems to be sequential, in that "FROM... UNTO the messiah the prince [Jesus]" happens first; then his "shall be cut off but not for himself [or, and have nothing]" happens next; then "the people [OF the prince THAT SHALL COME]" shall destroy the city and the sanctuary follows that; then, finally, "the prince THAT SHALL COME" shall confirm the covenant with the many "FOR ONE WEEK [7-yrs]" [far future] which SEQUENCE agrees with other passages elsewhere

--"the prince THAT SHALL COME" (Dan9:26) correlates with the "whose COMING/advent/arrival/presence/parousia" of 2Th2:9a (with 2Th2 chpt covering the entire SPAN OF the 7 years: BEGINNING-2Th2:9a; MIDDLE-2Th2:4; END-2Th2:8b)

--so that, Dan9:26[27a] parallels 2Th2:9 at the START of the 7 years, as well as Seal #1 rider on the white horse with a "bow" (which often means "deceit/deception") which is parallel to the FIRST "birth PANG" (of "the beginning of birth PANGS") in Matt24:4/Mk13:5 "G5100 - tis - 'A CERTAIN ONE'" (which would be "the man of sin be revealed" at the START of the 7 years, not at its middle nor at its end--2Th2 is covering all 7 years of the tribulation period, just as the Olivet Discourse [except for the portion in Luke 21:12-24 about the events of 70ad, and fitting earlier in this chronology/sequence, with Lk21:20 speaking of the "Jerusalem compassed with armies" and verse 23's "great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people" and verse 24's "shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all the nations..."])

--additionally, Revelation 1:1 states, "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which GOD GAVE UNTO HIM [Jesus] TO SHEW UNTO His servants [see 7:3 (the 144,000 "servants of our God")] things which must come to pass [comp. 4:1's "FUTURE" aspects of the Book] IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]..." (the "IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]" paralleling Lk18:8[chpt17-end] re: "avenge"; and Rom16:20 [the role of "the Church which is His body" (one reason for the "IN THE AIR" rapture and what follows [1Cor6:3[14], etc])], speaking of an "IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]" time period, as opposed to that which transpires over some 2000 years; i.e. the future 7-yr tribulation period ['ONE WEEK'] leading UP TO His Second Coming to the earth). I personally believe I can make out precisely 2520 days [7 yrs] between the opening of Seal #1 and His Rev19 "return" to the earth [note that I also believe the 24 elders represent "the Church which is His body" at the point in time when Jesus will "STAND to JUDGE": Isa3:13, Lam2:3-4 (similar to the wording in 2Th2:7b-8a), Rev5:6...]

--the SEQUENCE found in Matt22:7 and 8 is similar to this ^ (with v.7 about the events of 70ad "[the king] was wroth and sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city"; and then v.8 about the "THEN SAITH HE to his servants" with the "THEN" necessarily meaning AFTER the 70ad events... so that would be when He gave the later 95ad "[The] Revelation" which speaks of the far-future "INVITING" [again] (of "guests [plural]") to "the wedding FEAST/SUPPER"/the promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom (distinct from "the MARRIAGE" itself, involving the "Bride/Wife [SINGULAR]" who will have been "already-wed" [aorist] in heaven, before He heads back down in His "return" to the earth [Lk12:36-37,38,40,42-44 "when he will RETURN FROM the wedding..." THEN the meal; and Lk19:12,15,17,19 "RETURN" (when He will deal out responsibilities having to do with "have thou authority over 10 cities" and "likewise thou over 5"; this is also when Luke 22:30 "[the 12] will sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel" will commence)]

...my apologies on the length of this post... have had trouble getting on and posting, so figured I'd put it all in one, as opposed to attempting to come back to post further at a later time

Blog Entries

Your view does not require the abomination to relate to a 3.5 year period, even though it is mentioned in the context of the middle of the seven . Yet the abomination of Daniel 12 does relate to a 3.5 year period. On the balance of logic, there seems to be more strength in relating the two together. What are your comments?
    My view is that the abomination was an 'overspreading' abomination which began in the middle of the seven (so, yes, it does relate), then lasted a further 40 years.

As for the 'times, time and half a time' mentioned in Daniel 12 and referenced in Matt 24:15, it relates to Daniel 7:25, and should not be conflated (IMO) with Daniel 9:27.
    "Your name and renown

Blog Entries

As for the 'times, time and half a time' mentioned in Daniel 12 and referenced in Matt 24:15, it relates to Daniel 7:25, and should not be conflated (IMO) with Daniel 9:27.
    Time, times and half a time [3.5] is a specific timescale dedicated to the Beast to run the earth before his capitulation at Armageddon. We find it in Dan 12:7; 7:25, Rev 12:24. Sometimes it is also called 42 months. Matt 24:15 and Dan 9:27 will be fulfilled in this timeline.

Time, times and half a time [3.5] is a specific timescale dedicated to the Beast to run the earth before his capitulation at Armageddon. We find it in Dan 12:7; 7:25, Rev 12:24. Sometimes it is also called 42 months. Matt 24:15 and Dan 9:27 will be fulfilled in this timeline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk
    Yes, I see it very similarly. However, I tend to see the final "Week" as fulfilled in only a half Week. But I could go either way.
    We make the Cross the climax and so it was. But the covenant went through a 'confirming' process of 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk

The latter is correct if you were to ask me. But admittedly, its a been translated both ways. Futurists like to quote Antichrist getting his just desserts. Historicists like to quote Jerusalem getting destroyed. When I get to heaven Im going to talk to Daniel about writing simple for dumb fellas like me.
    "Your name and renown

Thread Information