Thread: WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR A HARD HEART?

WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR A HARD HEART?

To those of you who read the Bible regularly, have you like me ever wondered what this verse and others like it mean?

Exodus 11:10 And Moses and Aaron did all these wonders before Pharaoh: and THE LORD HARDENED PHARAOH'S HEART, so that he would not let the children of Israel go out of his land.

First, "hardened" means to strengthen, prevail, harden, be strong, become strong, be courageous, be firm, grow firm, be resolute, be sore. That's the definition from the enhanced Strong's Lexicon Hebrew dictionary.

Second, the following are English translations of the same Hebrew word in the King James Bible: AV translates as “strong” 48 times, “repair” 47 times, “hold” 37 times, “strengthened” 28 times, “strengthen” 14 times, “harden” 13 times, “prevail” 10 times, “encourage” 9 times, “take” 9 times, “courage” 8 times, “caught” 5 times, “stronger” 5 times, “hold” 5 times, and translated miscellaneously 52 times.

Considering the above think about the reaction you would have if someone you did not respect or revere issued you an ultimatum. Think also about how you would respond if they followed through with their threat.

In doing so I think we can understand what the Bible means when it says God hardened Pharaoh's heart.

Re: WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR A HARD HEART?

Hardened, within this context, means Pharaoh showed no mercy. This, as opposed to being merciful, soft-hearted.

As for who's responsible, God hardened Pharaoh's heart, to achieve His own objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Alert View Post
    Hardened, within this context, means Pharaoh showed no mercy. This, as opposed to being merciful, soft-hearted.

As for who's responsible, God hardened Pharaoh's heart, to achieve His own objective.
    Thank you for your opinion, as this is a no debate forum I will leave it at that.

On a personal level, this scripture is what concerns me most when it comes to a hardened heart:

Hebrew 3:7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:
    "Today, if you will hear His voice,
    8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
    In the day of trial in the wilderness,
    9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me,
    And saw My works forty years.

In the end, the word of God will harden our hearts or soften it. Either we suppress the truth or we don't. When God speaks, and we suppress the truth our heart hardens. Whether we say God did it, or we did it, would both be right IMO. For God spoke it and it returned to him having accomplished what it was sent to do ... either to harden the heart, or to soften it. What will we do is the question? Will we suppress it or receive it?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Fear of losing the things of this world can harden hearts.

Thread Information