Thread: Christians - Separated or Together?

Christians - Separated or Together?

According to scripture below, Christians are to live together - as roommates and neighbors.

Is anyone here in favor to doing as the Lord Almighty has stated?

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 English Standard Version (ESV)
    The Temple of the Living God

14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 What accord has Christ with Belial?[a] Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,

“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
    and I will be their God,
    and they shall be my people.
    Therefore go out from their midst,
    and be separate from them, says the Lord,
    and touch no unclean thing;
    then I will welcome you,
    and I will be a father to you,
    and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
    says the Lord Almighty.”

Blog Entries

Re: Christians - Separated or Together?

Quote Originally Posted by Alert View Post
    According to scripture below, Christians are to live together - as roommates and neighbors.

Does anyone here in favor to doing as the Lord Almighty has stated?

14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 What accord has Christ with Belial?[a] Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,

and I will be their God,
    then I will welcome you,
    says the Lord Almighty.”
    We also have to live and move and do as God wills with our time here on earth. That means interacting with those who are not Christian--Allowing our light to shine before them, of course if that light is not stashed under the bed.

What do you hope to discuss?
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
    We also have to live and move and do as God wills with our time here on earth. That means interacting with those who are not Christian--Allowing our light to shine before them, of course if that light is not stashed under the bed.

What do you hope to discuss?
    So you're in favor of Christians being separated and not together? Both verses below indicate together. It seems the position of being separated is not supported by scripture.

Holy Bible - Matthew 5:14 (ESV)
    “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.

Holy Bible - 2 Corinthians 6:17 (ESV)

Blog Entries

So you're in favor of Christians being separated and not together? Both verses below indicate together. It seems the position of being separated is not supported by scripture.

Holy Bible - Matthew 5:14 (ESV)
    “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.

Holy Bible - 2 Corinthians 6:17 (ESV)
    Well, I think being yoked is where the discussion can start? What does it mean to be yoked but to be very closely tied, right?

There are times I have had to make choices to do what I know God says is right, even if someone who doesn't know Him disagrees with me I work with or might be close to (Like blood relations) That is still being a light, even if to the other person it may seem wrong they could look back later and see God working in me to do what is right.

I cannot base my happiness on having friendships or relationships with people (even if I am lonely) if it will compromise (or lead to compromise) God's will, although I have done this, it never ends up good and God has already told me it is not wise to hold on tightly to the world or it's ways...
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

and I will be their God,
    then I will welcome you,
    says the Lord Almighty.”
    When I answered the gracious call of salvation, I also had to repent and no longer yoke myself or be tied to my past, this did lead to a loss in relationships with friends. All believers go through this stage, and they are put outside the camp of their past life and security, to stand outside with Christ. We have this in common and we make up the Church, we are the bricks making up the temple.

And for those of us who do stand outside with Christ we have this blessing

and I will be their God,
    then I will welcome you,
    says the Lord Almighty.”

We follow the fathers will, and our understanding grows we have fellowship not only with the Father and the Son but with like minded believers, our hope becomes more heaven bound and less earthy, this blessing from God gives us peace and happiness.
    Also if the bricks are clean the temple is clean, for the Church, is not to yoke herself with worldly affections and unbelievers.

As to your point about living together, I see it as fellowshipping together on the first day of the week encouraging each other in the Lord, and helping each other out with life and being friends, whether we are actual neighbours or living 50km apart I think this is the context Paul instructs us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
    Well, I think being yoked is where the discussion can start? What does it mean to be yoked but to be very closely tied, right?

There are times I have had to make choices to do what I know God says is right, even if someone who doesn't know Him disagrees with me I work with or might be close to (Like blood relations) That is still being a light, even if to the other person it may seem wrong they could look back later and see God working in me to do what is right.

I cannot base my happiness on having friendships or relationships with people (even if I am lonely) if it will compromise (or lead to compromise) God's will, although I have done this, it never ends up good and God has already told me it is not wise to hold on tightly to the world or it's ways...
    In Ephesians 4 there are TWO UNITIES. In 1-5 we learn:

1 "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
    2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
    3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
    4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,"

This is a unity established by the Holy Spirit and we are to "endeavor to keep it" by backing off and if need be, taking second or last place. It particularly addresses the GROUND set by the the Holy Spirit. But then we learn of another UNITY in verses 13-15.

13 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
    14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
    15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:"

This is the unity created by DOCTRINE. The unity of THE FAITH (notice the article). "THE" Faith is what we believe. And the preceding verses tell how we get there - by the operation of the gifted ones in the Church. The verses ASSUME that all have heard the truth and so now it is not a unity based on backing off, but one based on "telling the truth in love". The doctrines given by the gifted ones, and a measure of maturity, is the foundation of this unity.

And IN-BETWEEN these TWO unities is TIME - TIME for the mature ones to learn to be gentle and back off, and TIME for the babes in Christ to come to, "... the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    In Ephesians 4 there are TWO UNITIES. In 1-5 we learn:

1 "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
    2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
    3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
    4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,"

This is a unity established by the Holy Spirit and we are to "endeavor to keep it" by backing off and if need be, taking second or last place. It particularly addresses the GROUND set by the the Holy Spirit. But then we learn of another UNITY in verses 13-15.

13 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
    14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
    15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:"

This is the unity created by DOCTRINE. The unity of THE FAITH (notice the article). "THE" Faith is what we believe. And the preceding verses tell how we get there - by the operation of the gifted ones in the Church. The verses ASSUME that all have heard the truth and so now it is not a unity based on backing off, but one based on "telling the truth in love". The doctrines given by the gifted ones, and a measure of maturity, is the foundation of this unity.

And IN-BETWEEN these TWO unities is TIME - TIME for the mature ones to learn to be gentle and back off, and TIME for the babes in Christ to come to, "... the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ."
    I like what you said here. Not unusual.
    Peace to you!

I'm a little troubled by your apparent view that being in spiritual unity with fellow Christians means we are to live with them, as if all Christians should live in a single commune? Surely you understand that families lived separately in the time this was written?

The idea of *separation* from the unbelieving world originates from the Law of Moses, where Israel was separated from sinful peoples. They were not to get close in the sense of getting linked to them in business, in family relations, and in fellowship.

This did not mean that Israelites could not have any contact with unbelievers. It was simply a matter of not uniting with them in their sins. Certainly, nations make peace agreements even though they don't fellowship, nor agree on what is moral. Different religious people can agree to disagree.

In the time of Jesus families had separate homes. They did not live communally. Being "one temple" did not mean living communally, or even in a single town.

The temple of God represented a single spirituality. Our unity is not a matter of a physical location, but rather, of having a common spirituality. We have the one Spirit of God. This is the basis of our unity. This makes us all part of one temple of God.

Picture in the OT era the temple of God standing in the midst of Israel's encampment. There they were, in the wilderness, camping in 12 different divisions around a single symbol--the temple of God.

This was their spiritual unity. Not an absence of tribal divisions, but rather, a common source of their religion, a common source of their spiritual life.

Ultimately, the 12 tribes did merge into a national unity. But they still maintained family distinctions. And they were still separated by having their own homes.

Who knows what this spiritual unity will look like in the age to come? We are told we will all live in a single city, the New Jerusalem. But I imagine there will still have to be forms of separation, in order to maintain the necessary distinctions that make up our identity and work?

Blog Entries

Zechariah 9:9 Rejoice with all your heart, Daughter of Zion. Your King is coming, mounted on a donkeys colt. He has won the victory. The first coming of the Lord Jesus. He has defeated death.

Zechariah 9:10 He will banish all weapons of war and proclaim peace to the nations. His Rule will extend over all the earth.

Zechariah 9:11-12 As for My covenant people, I will free the captives. On this Day, I shall restore a double portion to you. His people, every faithful Christian; in their heritage and blessed.

Zechariah 9:13 Judah and Ephraim, the sons of Zion – I have made you like a warriors sword, prepared for battle against the ungodly. Must be before His second coming, as weapons are prepared for battle.
    Judah = the Jews. Ephraim = the 10 tribes scattered around the world, now the faithful Christians.

Zechariah 9:14 The Lord will appear over them. Before His Glorious Return.
    His arrow will flash like lightning. [ A coronal mass ejection, sunstrike.] The Lord will sound the trumpet and advance with the storm winds of the South.
    [The Lord’s Day of vengeance and wrath. Ezekiel 20:47-48 ]

Zechariah 9:15 His troops will be protected, they will exult and destroy the enemy. A great Day of destruction, the evil neighbors of Israel destroyed. Jeremiah 12:14

Zechariah 9:16 On that Day, the Lord will save His people, like a flock. They will sparkle in His Land, like jewels in His crown. After this event, all of His faithful Christian people will live in the Land.

Zechariah 9;17 What wealth is theirs! What beauty! Plenty of good food and wine for all His people.

Thread Information