Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: Is the Tithe a Bondage?

Re: Is the Tithe a Bondage?

First of all, the the is not part of the Law and never was....Abraham paid tithes to Melchezek, the King of Salem, long before Moses was given the Law. A tithe is an act of faith, just like Abraham was going to offer up Isaac. For us(wife and I), tithing is one of the most spirtitual uplifting things that we do, and whether one tithes or not, is between them and God and none of my business....

Re: Is the Tithe a Bondage?

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    First of all, the the is not part of the Law and never was....Abraham paid tithes to Melchezek, the King of Salem, long before Moses was given the Law. A tithe is an act of faith, just like Abraham was going to offer up Isaac. For us(wife and I), tithing is one of the most spirtitual uplifting things that we do, and whether one tithes or not, is between them and God and none of my business....
    To act under a law that is not required in NT theology is, in my opinion, a form of legalism. If you want to give to the church, God bless you. Just don't tell others, as our pastors do, that tithing is a *requirement* in the Bible. It was required under the Law of Moses, but not under the New Covenant of Christ.

Abraham tithed to Melchizedek by giving him a tenth, but he did not pay the tithe under the Old Covenant Law. There was no such law at that time! Abraham did not regularly give to Melchizedek, because Abraham paid to him out of the spoils of one particular battle. Abraham did not regular fight battles in order to pay tithes to Melchizedek!

To say that people paid a tenth, at times, to someone, like paying a tax to God, does not mean it was any particular kind of rule. But under the Law of Moses it was, in fact, a rule. So don't say the tithe was not part of the Law of Moses. It was. It is irresponsible to say otherwise.

Thread Information