Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The SBC and s*xual assualt, mol*estation, etc

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Re: The SBC and s*xual assualt, mol*estation, etc

This whole thing is a total disgrace. How should the greater One body of believers outside of the SBC handle the SBC? Shouldn't we all get involved? Just to be sure it's handled properly this time?
    As a side note, when I interviewed for membership at my church with a male elder...his wife was present with us. As a woman, that made me very happy.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Charles Spurgeon left the Southern Baptist Convention when they partnered with the Roman Catholic church..
    A man is in a great place when he has no one to turn to but God.

~ Smith Wigglesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Charles Spurgeon left the *Southern Baptist Convention when they partnered with the Roman Catholic church..
    The Baptist Union*

~ Smith Wigglesworth

Blog Entries

Charles Spurgeon left the Southern Baptist Convention when they partnered with the Roman Catholic church..
    So what.

That has NOTHING to do with Baptist Pastors molesting children Jude. God isn't going to blame the RCC for the sins of a Baptist.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Jude, Spurgeon was never a Southern Baptist. He lived in England and as a member of the Baptist Union - a completely separate organization.

He broke with them when they introduced ideas that were less and less Calvinistic and more and more putting salvation in man's hands.

Let's ALL please make sure our facts are straight before we post ….. it's the least we could do for membership reading and the hosts of lurkers who read and even the passersby. Yes?

Jude, Spurgeon was never a Southern Baptist. He lived in England and as a member of the Baptist Union - a completely separate organization.

He broke with them when they introduced ideas that were less and less Calvinistic and more and more putting salvation in man's hands.

Let's ALL please make sure our facts are straight before we post .. it's the least we could do for membership reading and the hosts of lurkers who read and even the passersby. Yes?
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

AS a Southern Baptist church member, these things make me sick.

Southern Baptists churches have autonomy. There is no SBC "ruling Board" that tells SBC churches what to do. I like it this way.

A part of the problem with churches like this and there are a lot and not just Southern Baptists is that the congregation and membership do not hold their leadership accountable.
    Bear with me as I give a little [small] rant.
    • Some churches are so full of milquetoast members with no initiative or backbone of their own that they allow the "pastor" to completely control everything.
    • They only know the Bible insomuch as whatever the pastor gives and they believe every interpretation he gives.
    • They have no policies of background checks or whether or not the leadership can be alone with women or children.
    • They believe, and this found to some degree in all denominations that the "pastor" is untouchable. And the "pastor" will use Psalm 105:15 to force that false teaching on his membership.

This kind of abuse has been going on in churches since there gave been churches. For some time the RCC has been under harsh scrutiny and now it's the SBC's turn. It will be another denomination next.

The point is, we are to respect and revere our leadership, but we are not to act the spineless and ignorant lackey who never questions leadership or to helplessly refuse to hold them accountable.

In all churches, there should be policies that prevent things like this. There are at my Southern Baptist Church.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post

Let's ALL please make sure our facts are straight before we post .. it's the least we could do for membership reading and the hosts of lurkers who read and even the passersby. Yes?

That's why i changed it Jane but we can't do any editing..

Sorry about that..

~ Smith Wigglesworth

AS a Southern Baptist church member, these things make me sick.

Southern Baptists churches have autonomy. There is no SBC "ruling Board" that tells SBC churches what to do. I like it this way.

A part of the problem with churches like this and there are a lot and not just Southern Baptists is that the congregation and membership do not hold their leadership accountable.
    Bear with me as I give a little [small] rant.
    • Some churches are so full of milquetoast members with no initiative or backbone of their own that they allow the "pastor" to completely control everything.
    • They only know the Bible insomuch as whatever the pastor gives and they believe every interpretation he gives.
    • They have no policies of background checks or whether or not the leadership can be alone with women or children.
    • They believe, and this found to some degree in all denominations that the "pastor" is untouchable. And the "pastor" will use Psalm 105:15 to force that false teaching on his membership.

This kind of abuse has been going on in churches since there gave been churches. For some time the RCC has been under harsh scrutiny and now it's the SBC's turn. It will be another denomination next.

The point is, we are to respect and revere our leadership, but we are not to act the spineless and ignorant lackey who never questions leadership or to helplessly refuse to hold them accountable.

In all churches, there should be policies that prevent things like this. There are at my Southern Baptist Church.
    I agree with you in this Jayne. However, the SBC can and have kicked out churches for various reasons. Autonomy, in this instance, seems to me to be a fig leaf to hide behind. Wait till a SBC votes in a pastor that is actively g*y and see how long it takes for them to be kicked out of the association. Why would we be any different with the situation in this article?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I agree with you in this Jayne. However, the SBC can and have kicked out churches for various reasons. Autonomy, in this instance, seems to me to be a fig leaf to hide behind. Wait till a SBC votes in a pastor that is actively g*y and see how long it takes for them to be kicked out of the association. Why would we be any different with the situation in this article?
    I'm sure something like that would and should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Our local Baptist (SBC) association was considering tossing the congregation I was attending so I assume it can be done

It has happened with g*y "pastors". But why is the SBC hiding behind autonomy in this situation? I still relate more to the SBC than most any other denonmination. However, this is one of those situations that seems to me, should have been handled differently.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thread Information