Thread: People who claim to have visions from god

Question People who claim to have visions from god

Joel 2 28-29 speaks on how in the end days, the Lord will pour out his spirit to many.

As of recently i have seen many people who have been claiming to have received dreams and visions from the lord. Who am i to say that they have or have not. How ever there is that part of me that is always skeptical about the things that these various people claim to see.

A simple you tube search of this will give you hundreds of results of people saying that the lord has said that he will be returning soon.

Does anyone ever have a certain amount of skepticism as well when you hear these claims?

Blog Entries

Re: People who claim to have visions from god

In early 2011, my wife and I lived for 3 months in Bethlehem. We had the free use of a flat that was rented by a fellow church member. She wanted someone to occupy it while she came home on furlough, to feed her cat and water the plants.
    Her task in Bethlehem was to spread the Gospel and give some hope to the patients at the Mental Hospital. She had cleared a part of the grounds and got some patients to help her establish a flower garden there. So we also went there and kept that watered too and soon after we arrived, Jan’s daughter in NZ, texted us asking; What are you doing right now? Answer; We are watering the flowers at the Mental Hospital. ! !
    It was great to have base there, we could pace ourselves – visit Jerusalem, then have a day home to recover. We did make several longer trips away to places like Beersheba, Haifa and Galilee. One day trip was to Nablus – mini bus to Ramallah, then another bus to Nablus.
    Nablus is now a modern [ish] Palestinian city. It was one of the Decapolis cities of Roman times, but its ancient name is Shechem. The ruins of Shechem are still to be seen there, as is Jacobs well and Josephs tomb. But what is most interesting about it, is its situation in the valley between Mount Ebal and Mount Gerizim. Deut. 27:11-26 & Deut 28:1-68
    We had just got back from a taxi ride up both mountains and were standing on the footpath at the crowded city centre traffic circle. It was full of tooting vehicles, the footpath was packed with people; BUT I SAW it totally empty! No traffic, no noise, no people. Just for a moment, just a blink and then the reality was back.
    I know that one day I will go back there and that place will be completely empty of those ‘evil neighbors’, Jeremiah 12:14, Jeremiah 10:18
    Praise God for His promises!

It was while we lived in Bethlehem, that I received the inspiration to write articles on what the ancient prophets actually said. I averaged 1 article every 2 days for nearly 3 years, with now over 800 written. It has been a steep learning experience and I still continue to find new information in that amazing Book, the Bible.
    Now, in 2019, I look forward with great anticipation to the commencement of those incredible prophesies and the fulfilment of God’s promises.
    Keraz. [Hebrew – keraz = herald or messenger]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cherubim1 View Post
    Joel 2 28-29 speaks on how in the end days, the Lord will pour out his spirit to many.
    As of recently i have seen many people who have been claiming to have received dreams and visions from the lord. Who am i to say that they have or have not. How ever there is that part of me that is always skeptical about the things that these various people claim to see.
    A simple you tube search of this will give you hundreds of results of people saying that the lord has said that he will be returning soon.
    Does anyone ever have a certain amount of skepticism as well when you hear these claims?
    In brief Skepticism is good and cynicism is bad, but best is discernment.
    Pray for discernment, and as your mind is renewed through His Word so you will gain greater discernment.

I have skepticism, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

People have genuine dreams and visions, the Lord is returning soon, despite the proliferation of false prophets.

Yes, I have loads of skepticism because people in general are proud and want to inflate their egos with their own self-importance. We all have that terrible temptation to want to be special. Well, we are special in the eyes of God. But we don't get special by seeking to promote ourselves.

So I suppose I look for self-deprecation before accepting a vision. If the visions are sensationalistic, I highly doubt they're real. Most revelations have to do with practical matters of holiness and repentance. If something big does come up I do expect God will prepare us for it. I do expect God to speak directly to important matters--life and death matters. As another brother said, it requires discernment.

Amen!! discernment of the spirit.

yes I also agree with this. Due to the rise of many false teachers this can be the case.

Yes vision and dreams are real. But like others have said discernment must be used to distinguish truth from error.

I have a lot of skepticism about people who have claimed to have visions from the Lord. We actually get a few come around here every once in awhile. Very few are legit.

As believers I think we all hope and believe the Lord will return soon (except for those who are not watching). There are scriptural warnings about believing that He will not return soon. Makes people get complacent and forget the Lord (that is until He shows up at a time not expected by them).

So saying one has a vision saying the Lord will return soon is not so extraordinary. This has been going on for many, many years. And is easily manipulated to get people to believe those having such "visions" are something prophetically special. I usually ignore them.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

We cannot say 100%, and I think we shouldn't say; that God cannot give new revelation to people directly.

Yes the Bible is sufficient, but the Bible doesn't limit God to converse and reveal with later generations.

What the Bible does do, 100%, is bind God to truth.

If a new person is presenting teachings on youtube or wherever, and those teachings conflict with what the bible teaches; that teacher is either wrong (innocent or flagrant).

So the Bible isn't necessarily the final revelation of all information from God; but it is the yardstick we measure any supposed future revelations against.

Blog Entries

Yes, I'm a huge skeptic.

Yes, Joel 2:28-29 says that "ďAnd it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see vision. Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit."

"Afterward". After what? After what God is talking about in the previous verses - a restoration from the year of locusts.

I believe this to have already taken place a long time ago - on the day of Pentecost. Yes, it still takes place today, but many who raise this banner of "dreams and visions" have missed the point in its entirety.

Peter said that this was ushered in on the day of Pentecost. Acts 2:15-17 - "For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: 'And in the last days it shall be', God declares, 'that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh.....[and he continues to quote several verses from Joel 2'".

The point of Joel is serious, serious judgment on God's people and then serious, serious judgment on the nations. Then repentance and God's restoration after the judgment and a prophetic understanding that one day, [a day already come] God's Spirit will be on all who are true Christians and they - through things such as dreams, vision, and prophecy, will have a deeper and fuller understanding of God.

I find that people - and I've seen a lot on the internet - who claim these dreams, visions, and prophecy - have no interest in the past or future judgment or the cry for repentance NOW. They seem only interested in supernatural side shows and themselves being the mouthpiece of God and having some private knowledge that no one else does. I find it many times to be a boastful thing.

They've missed Joel 2 altogether. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit began 2,000 years ago. So said Peter very explicitly. It continues - yet how many want the dreams and vision and prophecy and have no desire to read the Bible or work in the church for the sake of the kingdom.

Hence, the false dreams, visions, and prophecies come. And we are overrun with them.

I am skeptical of things that seem only to be for an individual's gain.

On the Day of Pentecost, when Peter said this was being fulfilled, great signs and wonder appeared and the main point being that 3,000 souls were saved in one day.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    We cannot say 100%, and I think we shouldn't say; that God cannot give new revelation to people directly.

Yes the Bible is sufficient, but the Bible doesn't limit God to converse and reveal with later generations.

What the Bible does do, 100%, is bind God to truth.

If a new person is presenting teachings on youtube or wherever, and those teachings conflict with what the bible teaches; that teacher is either wrong (innocent or flagrant).

So the Bible isn't necessarily the final revelation of all information from God; but it is the yardstick we measure any supposed future revelations against.
    Sage advice here. We don't always know how God speaks to others. We shouldn't use ourselves as a measuring stick as to how God must use others. In fact, I think God uses us individually quite different from one another. But what enables us to know we are in the Spirit is the Spirit Himself, as well as the truth in God's word and in our own experience. The longer we have been walking with Him the more we should be able to tell if someone is getting puffed up in their own self-importance.

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Yes, I'm a huge skeptic.

Yes, Joel 2:28-29 says that "“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see vision. Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit."

"Afterward". After what? After what God is talking about in the previous verses - a restoration from the year of locusts.

I believe this to have already taken place a long time ago - on the day of Pentecost. Yes, it still takes place today, but many who raise this banner of "dreams and visions" have missed the point in its entirety.

Peter said that this was ushered in on the day of Pentecost. Acts 2:15-17 - "For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: 'And in the last days it shall be', God declares, 'that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh.....[and he continues to quote several verses from Joel 2'".

The point of Joel is serious, serious judgment on God's people and then serious, serious judgment on the nations. Then repentance and God's restoration after the judgment and a prophetic understanding that one day, [a day already come] God's Spirit will be on all who are true Christians and they - through things such as dreams, vision, and prophecy, will have a deeper and fuller understanding of God.

I find that people - and I've seen a lot on the internet - who claim these dreams, visions, and prophecy - have no interest in the past or future judgment or the cry for repentance NOW. They seem only interested in supernatural side shows and themselves being the mouthpiece of God and having some private knowledge that no one else does. I find it many times to be a boastful thing.

They've missed Joel 2 altogether. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit began 2,000 years ago. So said Peter very explicitly. It continues - yet how many want the dreams and vision and prophecy and have no desire to read the Bible or work in the church for the sake of the kingdom.

Hence, the false dreams, visions, and prophecies come. And we are overrun with them.

I am skeptical of things that seem only to be for an individual's gain.

On the Day of Pentecost, when Peter said this was being fulfilled, great signs and wonder appeared and the main point being that 3,000 souls were saved in one day.
    I actually think we may experience more of the "supernatural" from God if we place less of a premium on it. Can you imagine getting all excited to see your spouse and family, and yet not spend any actual time talking with them? Why is it such a big deal that you see your family come in through the door? They're your family!

When God shows up in some supernatural way, why should we be surprised? But if we don't spend any time with Him we may not even notice He's around!

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    Yes vision and dreams are real. But like others have said discernment must be used to distinguish truth from error.

I have a lot of skepticism about people who have claimed to have visions from the Lord. We actually get a few come around here every once in awhile. Very few are legit.

As believers I think we all hope and believe the Lord will return soon (except for those who are not watching). There are scriptural warnings about believing that He will not return soon. Makes people get complacent and forget the Lord (that is until He shows up at a time not expected by them).

So saying one has a vision saying the Lord will return soon is not so extraordinary. This has been going on for many, many years. And is easily manipulated to get people to believe those having such "visions" are something prophetically special. I usually ignore them.
    It isn't a prophetic word just to state some biblical truth. It may indeed be inspired, but it isn't prophecy. I also believe in dreams and visions. But I don't think they're our ordinary experience, and what gets us up in the morning. Some times life is very ordinary, and the most disappointing things are trials from God.

I've only had a relatively few dreams, and they tend to fade away pretty quickly. But they don't tend to be predictive. Instead they communicate God's love for me, or some bit of knowledge God has about my life. Sometimes they reflect God's warnings. Sometimes they reveal things about how God sees others. I love supernatural knowledge!

But we each are given our own thing. If we get too excited about the supernatural things and miracles, it may be a long fall back to the ordinary.

Eccles 7.2
    It is better to go to a house of mourning
    than to go to a house of feasting,
    for death is the destiny of everyone;
    the living should take this to heart.
    Frustration is better than laughter,
    because a sad face is good for the heart.

Blog Entries

One dream I had I have no doubt it came from God . Why do I say this ? Because the dream was about my future in a few months . But at the time I had the dream I had no idea this was going to be my future . It was mind blowing to say the least when the dream started playing out in real life .

When you get enough posts you can see what I wrote about the dream here ... https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...finition-dream

Deade; I removed your post. If you start a thread in Chat to moderators I can explain why.

Thanks

Old man
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Thread Information