Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Day of the Lord: the actual meaning of the word YOWM

Blog Entries

Re: The Day of the Lord: the actual meaning of the word YOWM

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation Man View Post
    It states this in the KJV...........

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

This in my Hebrew Masoretic Bible

8:22 While x5750 the earth 776 remaineth, 3117 x3605 seedtime 2233 and harvest, 7105 and cold 7120 and heat, 2527 and summer 7019 and winter, 2779 and day 3117 and night 3915 shall not x3808 cease. 7673 z8799

3117 = YOWM, so I have no clue what you are even speaking about.

Gen. 8:22 od Kl-y'my hretz zera w'qtziyr w'qor wchom w'qayitz wchoref w'ym wlay'lh lo yish'Bot

You added nothing to the topic brother in reality. You pointed out a verse doesn't say what it actually does say !!
    I get you have no clue about Hebrew. I am only very basic with it.
    However IGNORE the KJV in the first place and get to the words being used then recognise how the idea is then translated. This is important if you are serious about studying YOWM (or any other words in scripture).

Here is a link to the Interlinear on line:
    https://biblehub.com/interlinear/genesis/8-22.htm

Now when you work it through we find in the first three words:
    H5750
    עד / עוד
    ‛ôd
    BDB Definition:
    1) a going round, continuance (substantive)
    2) still, yet, again, besides (adverb)
    2a) still, yet (of continuance or persistence)
    2b) still, yet, more (of addition or repetition)
    2c) again
    2d) still, moreover, besides

H3605
    כּול / כּל
    kôl / kôl
    BDB Definition:
    1) all, the whole
    1a) all, the whole of
    1b) any, each, every, anything
    1c) totality, everything

H3117
    יום
    yôm
    BDB Definition:
    1) day, time, year
    1a) day (as opposed to night)
    1b) day (24 hour period)
    1b1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
    1b2) as a division of time
    1b2a) a working day, a day’s journey
    1c) days, lifetime (plural)
    1d) time, period (general)
    1e) year
    1f) temporal references
    1f1) today
    1f2) yesterday
    1f3) tomorrow

This can be simply put as "As days continue"

Now notice that NONE of these words as given actually matches what was used. So it is a poor translation. In 405 occurrences of the word "od", only 4 times is while used the other being Job 1:16 and 17 and Psalm 78:30 and in those cases the meaning is of "yet"

Blog Entries

I think you are trying to be a wisenheimer brother. If you can't or don't feel you can take the topic serious why jump in ? I am serious about the Lord brother, it's not a funny game to me.
    He was showing you the very clear point that not only are you saying that day doesn't mean day, but that evening doesn't mean evening and morning doesn't mean morning.

The earth is 4.5 Billion years old and the Universe is 137 Billion years old. { Old Blog on the universe's age, I also posted on Atheist Debate sites This shows that Yowm in Genesus one can not be a Day, so it fits here.}
    Perhaps for a different area of the Forum.

I as a 30 year Christian try to think outside the box of normality. Is the universe 6000 years old? Is the universe 13.7 billion years old? Do these two questions clash or is there a translation barrier !! This is how I think. I try to bring both poles of thought towards each other starting with the facts. We know the universe has to be over 6000 years old because we see light from stars that are millions of light years away, so we would have to be kinda naive to think the universe is 6000 years old.
    You obviously don't seem to have read much scientific information about this. Your reasoning here is that of someone who hasn't grasped a concept, such as the entire universe starting in a small location and expanding rapidly from that point, this gives a distorted view of time as time as measured by space is to do with distance, but when the distance is increasing then the time increases regardless of the actual age. Inflation changes time.
    What your view is assuming is that God placed the stars literally millions of light years away as an initial starting state and therefore for the light to get to the earth requires millions of years.

I have won quite a few Atheists to Christ, not because of this blog only, but because I opened a door to them understanding that God indeed might be real. Then via conversations over months they came to know the Lord. Serving God is no joke to me. And men do have tunnel vision. The Holy Spirit showed me I had tunnel vision and told me I had to leave off Men's Traditions 5 years ago, that was why my learning curve was stunted. So men do have tunnel vision, God's scriptures tells us THAT WE SEE DARKLY !! But when we go to be with the Lord we will see clearly. That is tunnel vision. And men have the same problem they have always had since the fall, PRIDE !! Men are too proud, I see it every day. That is what I was told, you can't learn son because you know it all already !! So I put off old ideas, and allowed God to teach me.

The very people that laugh and scoff usually have it worse than anyone else.
    The above though it sounds good, is both proud, as now you are the one who doesn't have tunnel vision, and also rejects simple truth.
    Those who argue for homosexuality would use the same argument you have made.
    It is important to be open to learn and not simply believe something because we have been told it, yet we also have to be humble to take what is clearly stated. When you make language flexible BEYOND its proper usage, then it can say anything you want - and so can anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post

H3117
    יום
    yôm
    It doesn't say "Yom". It says יְמֵ֣י "Yimei" which is plural and means "days".

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    You guys kill me. Seriously. If you want to post on Hebrew topics, for God's sake at least learn the basics and read the language. Genesis 8:22 doesn't say "while the earth remaineth" or whatevereth. What it says is "For all the days of the earth". Stop using a bad translation to prove your bad points. And this is just one example, I'm not going down the line of all this nonsense.
    What difference does it make if you're not born again Fenris?

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

A man is in a great place when he has no one to turn to but God.

~ Smith Wigglesworth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    What difference does it make if you're not born again Fenris?

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

I hear a lot of clanging gongs Jude.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I hear a lot of clanging gongs Jude.
    47 years ago i couldn't have cared less but today i want to see Fenris get saved..

II Corinthians 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

What do you want for Fenris Keck?
    A man is in a great place when he has no one to turn to but God.

~ Smith Wigglesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    It doesn't say "Yom". It says יְמֵ֣י "Yimei" which is plural and means "days".
    I don't really discuss my Christian understandings with Hebrew Root type guys. I see your type come in and try to sow confusion on Christians, and I don't accept that someone without the unction of the Holy Spirit can teach me anything about God my friend.

We can be fiends and all, but we can't discuss my Christian beliefs with any real back and forth. I see it as people who try to undermine Christianity, from what I have seen. So I am really not interested in the discussion. If you want to know about Jesus we can go there, but until you know Jesus, you can't really understand the bible in ful, at least not from my perspective. That is just my opinion. Now, discussing science, we can go there, but we can't speak about your knowledge of biblical things, without Jesus being in your life. It just doesn't work for me. That would be like me trying to discuss how to build a bridge with a carpenter instead of an engineer. It doesn't mean they guy is not a great carpenter, but he knows nothing about bridge building.

Am I reading you right ? You are not Christian ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    47 years ago i couldn't have cared less but today i want to see Fenris get saved..

II Corinthians 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

What do you want for Fenris Keck?
    Love from you for once

I get you have no clue about Hebrew. I am only very basic with it.
    However IGNORE the KJV in the first place and get to the words being used then recognise how the idea is then translated. This is important if you are serious about studying YOWM (or any other words in scripture).

Here is a link to the Interlinear on line:
    https://biblehub.com/interlinear/genesis/8-22.htm

Now when you work it through we find in the first three words:
    H5750
    עד / עוד
    ‛ôd
    BDB Definition:
    1) a going round, continuance (substantive)
    2) still, yet, again, besides (adverb)
    2a) still, yet (of continuance or persistence)
    2b) still, yet, more (of addition or repetition)
    2c) again
    2d) still, moreover, besides

H3605
    כּול / כּל
    kôl / kôl
    BDB Definition:
    1) all, the whole
    1a) all, the whole of
    1b) any, each, every, anything
    1c) totality, everything

H3117
    יום
    yôm
    BDB Definition:
    1) day, time, year
    1a) day (as opposed to night)
    1b) day (24 hour period)
    1b1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
    1b2) as a division of time
    1b2a) a working day, a day’s journey
    1c) days, lifetime (plural)
    1d) time, period (general)
    1e) year
    1f) temporal references
    1f1) today
    1f2) yesterday
    1f3) tomorrow

This can be simply put as "As days continue"

Now notice that NONE of these words as given actually matches what was used. So it is a poor translation. In 405 occurrences of the word "od", only 4 times is while used the other being Job 1:16 and 17 and Psalm 78:30 and in those cases the meaning is of "yet"
    No it's not a bad translation, I understand that while the EARTH REMAINS means AS LONG as the Earth Remains, seems you didn't comprehend that.

#3117.
    יוֹם
    yom (398a); a prim. root; day:—
    NASB - afternoon*(1), age(8), age*(1), all(1), always*(14), amount*(2), battle(1), birthday*(1), Chronicles*(38), completely*(1), continually*(14), course*(1), daily(22), daily the days(1), day(1115), day of the days(1), day that the period(1), day's(6), day's every day(1), daylight*(1), days(635), days on the day(1), days to day(1), days you shall daily(1), days ago(1), days'(11), each(1), each day(4), entire(2), eternity(1), evening*(1), ever in your life*(1), every day(2), fate(1), first(5), forever*(11), forevermore*(1), full(5), full year(1), future*(1), holiday*(3), later*(2), length(1), life(12), life*(1), lifetime(2), lifetime*(1), live(1), long(2), long as i live(1), long*(11), midday*(1), now(5), older*(1), once(2), period(3), perpetually*(2), present(1), recently(1), reigns(1), ripe*(1), short-lived*(1), so long*(1), some time(1), survived*(2), time(45), time*(1), times*(2), today(172), today*(1), usual(1), very old*(1), when(10), when the days(1), whenever(1), while(3), whole(2), year(10), yearly(5), years(13), yesterday*(1).
    —NAS Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible with Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Dictionaries

I just so happen to use the KJV all the time, but I understand when its not quite up to par and I look at other translations, I knew at meant as LONG as the earth Remained. And YOWM was thus used for a PERIOD OF TIME !!

{Holman version} Genesis 8:22 As long as the earth endures,
    seedtime and harvest, cold and heat,
    summer and winter, and day and night
    will not cease.

So, again, you took ONE VERSE like him, and ignored the facts in the OP, the word YOWM is used for TIME PERIODS, I guess the 15 examples weren't enough. I could paste 100 more examples where it doesn't have to mean day !! I doubt that would suffice.

And I write blogs, I do both Greek and Hebrew word studies everyday sister.

In the end, when people get to heaven, they will find out the universe is 13.7 billion years old, the earth is 4.5 billion years old, and that God never stated He created the Universe in 6 actual days. It was 6 time periods of.................... we have to figure it out !! And people will also understand likewise that the Day of the Lord is 3.5 years.

Blog Entries

I don't really discuss my Christian understandings with Hebrew Root type guys. I see your type come in and try to sow confusion on Christians, and I don't accept that someone without the unction of the Holy Spirit can teach me anything about God my friend.

We can be fiends and all, but we can't discuss my Christian beliefs with any real back and forth. I see it as people who try to undermine Christianity, from what I have seen. So I am really not interested in the discussion. If you want to know about Jesus we can go there, but until you know Jesus, you can't really understand the bible in ful, at least not from my perspective. That is just my opinion. Now, discussing science, we can go there, but we can't speak about your knowledge of biblical things, without Jesus being in your life. It just doesn't work for me. That would be like me trying to discuss how to build a bridge with a carpenter instead of an engineer. It doesn't mean they guy is not a great carpenter, but he knows nothing about bridge building.

Am I reading you right ? You are not Christian ?
    This has not been my experience at all. In fact, just the opposite. Fenris has put real substance to the roots of my faith. I guess I’m just confident enough in my faith not to fear others.

Blog Entries

I think you are trying to be a wisenheimer brother. If you can't or don't feel you can take the topic serious why jump in ? I am serious about the Lord brother, it's not a funny game to me.

The earth is 4.5 Billion years old and the Universe is 137 Billion years old. { Old Blog on the universe's age, I also posted on Atheist Debate sites This shows that Yowm in Genesus one can not be a Day, so it fits here.}

I as a 30 year Christian try to think outside the box of normality. Is the universe 6000 years old? Is the universe 13.7 billion years old? Do these two questions clash or is there a translation barrier !! This is how I think. I try to bring both poles of thought towards each other starting with the facts. We know the universe has to be over 6000 years old because we see light from stars that are millions of light years away, so we would have to be kinda naive to think the universe is 6000 years old.

Onward to what Genesis says about creation, does it really say the universe or earth is 6000 years old? I don’t think it does, I think it's a mistranslation of a primitive language that had only around 4000 words at the time Genesis was written, whereas the English language has 500,000 words. So many of the Hebrew words were used in multiple ways. For instance the original meaning of the Hebrew word YOWM (Day) means “to be hot” and there are at least 50 other meanings listed in strong’s concordances lexicon of Hebrew words. A year, a month, a period of time, chronicles, evening and morning (Beginning and end), age, perpetually, long, some time, whole, X required season, continually etc. etc., well you get the point.

YOWM or “To be hot”, what would this mean and why was it used since God is supposed to have given Moses the first five books of the Torah. Well when the universe was spoken into existence by God, it took 400 million years for the first stars to form. So the first Day (to be hot) was the Evening (Darkness, 400 million years of darkness) and the Morning (The stars started forming) and the first day was a “period of time” and in my opinion it lasted from 13.7 Billion BC until 4.5 Billion BC (9.2 Billion years) when the Sun & Earth were formed. So let's take a second and look at the Bible and the WMAP research and see if this matches.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Now look below at the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) which launched in 2001 and won many awards, they mapped the whole universe out. Below as we see, you had Quantum Fluctuations which I contend is God, then you had Inflation, followed by Afterglow, followed by 400 MILLION YEARS of Darkness !! Just like the bible says in verse 2, and there was Darkness on the Face of the Deep !! God's word is perfect, it is us who are confused. DARK AGES Mapped out by the WMAP, followed by what? The first stars forming at the 400 million year mark. Verse three says what? and God said “Let there be light” God is right again. We are looking at Creation from God's POV, no man was there of course and with God he is not subject to time, he created time for us via this universe, but He is eternal and thus was never created. Remember the verse, a thousand years is like a day and a day like unto a thousand years unto God. In other words God lives in the past, present and future all at the same time.

Attachment 13682

Maybe it will show the WMAP map above, if not it can be Googled.

So we had the Big Bang, followed by Inflation, followed by Cosmic Microwave background where after 375,000 years loose electrons cool enough to combine with protons. The Universe becomes Transparent to Light. The Microwave background begins to shine. Then the dark ages/clouds of dark hydrogen gas cool and coalesce.

The first stars appear….Gas Clouds collapse, the fusion of Stars begin, the first of which appears at about 400 million years after the big bang. So, when the bible says Darkness was on the face of the deep, God knew exactly what was happening in the very beginning !! The more we look for the answers, the more that science and the bible will converge, if both sides with differing viewpoints would only take their blinders off.

The second day (period of time) of course would be from the Earth & the Sun's formation until the grasses and trees came forth on the Third day (period of time) then on the Fourth day it seems God Set the Seasons or placed the Moon in its perfect orbit where our seasons are not strange, but orderly, I know the moon and earth is supposed to have collided. Anyway, that set the seasons, times, years etc. etc. Mind you, all of these ideas are rudimentary observations. A theory of how the things God says in His Holy Word and Science can both be factual. They are not meant to imply everything went down just so and in like manner, the dates of course are guesstimates, I wasn’t there.

On the Fifth day God created the Sea animals/birds and what not, were the Dinos created here or with the land animals? The fifth day lasted 300 million to 400 million years or so. On the Sixth Day around 300–350 Million BC God created the Land Animals. During this period of time the Dinosaurs became extinct about 70 Million years ago. Then during this “TIME PERIOD” (6TH DAY) God decided to create man 6000 or so years ago. Some might protest that men have been around much longer, but I offer this up, where is the data? Men are record keepers and we don’t have proof of men going back further. Now as per “MEN” being observed by scientists to have been around X Number of years, I never said Animal like men weren’t around, I stated Human Beings were created 6000 years ago, when God placed His spirit in us and thus we became immortal in that our souls can not die. We were at that point in time “Created in God's Image”. The other fossils and bones mean nothing, because Scientists have no way of testing for God imparting His spirit into mankind and creating “Human Beings” with powerful intellects.

On the Seventh Day God rested, which only means He ceased Creating the Heavens/Earth/Mankind/Animals. So when we see stars and galaxies created today, it was ordered forth 13.7 Billion years ago. So its not necessarily either or. We need to start looking at things with an open mind, be we an atheist or a Christian.

P.S. Just something to think about. Einstein’s theory of relativity is in the very first verse of the bible, relatively speaking…LOL.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning (TIME) God created the heaven(SPACE) and the earth(MATTER).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have won quite a few Atheists to Christ, not because of this blog only, but because I opened a door to them understanding that God indeed might be real. Then via conversations over months they came to know the Lord. Serving God is no joke to me. And men do have tunnel vision. The Holy Spirit showed me I had tunnel vision and told me I had to leave off Men's Traditions 5 years ago, that was why my learning curve was stunted. So men do have tunnel vision, God's scriptures tells us THAT WE SEE DARKLY !! But when we go to be with the Lord we will see clearly. That is tunnel vision. And men have the same problem they have always had since the fall, PRIDE !! Men are too proud, I see it every day. That is what I was told, you can't learn son because you know it all already !! So I put off old ideas, and allowed God to teach me.

The very people that laugh and scoff usually have it worse than anyone else.

The earth is 4.5 Billion years old and the Universe is 137 Billion years old.
    Is it harder for God to Create a grain of sand or a whole universe instantly?
    A cannot be A & not A at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

He was showing you the very clear point that not only are you saying that day doesn't mean day, but that evening doesn't mean evening and morning doesn't mean morning.

Perhaps for a different area of the Forum.

You obviously don't seem to have read much scientific information about this. Your reasoning here is that of someone who hasn't grasped a concept, such as the entire universe starting in a small location and expanding rapidly from that point, this gives a distorted view of time as time as measured by space is to do with distance, but when the distance is increasing then the time increases regardless of the actual age. Inflation changes time.
    What your view is assuming is that God placed the stars literally millions of light years away as an initial starting state and therefore for the light to get to the earth requires millions of years.

The above though it sounds good, is both proud, as now you are the one who doesn't have tunnel vision, and also rejects simple truth.
    Those who argue for homosexuality would use the same argument you have made.
    It is important to be open to learn and not simply believe something because we have been told it, yet we also have to be humble to take what is clearly stated. When you make language flexible BEYOND its proper usage, then it can say anything you want - and so can anyone else.
    You seem to think the earth is 6000 years old, and I am supposed converse with you on this subject, come on !!

I have seen you on 4 or 5 message boards, I have different names, and I have basically never agreed with you on anything, and I have been preaching 33 years. I don't think we will start agreeing on things anytime soon. I usually just stop replying to people that I never agree on anything with. I mean, something is wrong when a preacher can agree on ZERO with another Christian.

I don't tag people, but I notice you do it al the time, "proud" is just one example.

The Universe is 13.7 billion years old and was created in TIME PERIODS, not DAYS. Those are facts, and all will see those facts when they get to Heaven.

God Bless sister. One day I will find a post by you uplifting maybe, hope springs eternal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    This has not been my experience at all. In fact, just the opposite. Fenris has put real substance to the roots of my faith. I guess Im just confident enough in my faith not to fear others.
    Agree Keck and REVman, Fenris has lots to offer ( us-Christians ) but he does not see many things as we do. I dont fear him at all.

He is not saved however ( as we understand it ) and does not understand the Scriptures as we do ( hes admitted this ).

That a huge issue dont you think?

I have a buddy at work, True Blue conservative if there ever was one, but he does not know the Lord. Not one bit, but hes got it right as far as politics and cultural issues go. I agree with Him, but he totally misses the whole picture. The BIG picture.

He can only teach me so much, and he can teach me nothing about the Gospel and how to have a relationship with Christ.
    A cannot be A & not A at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    Is it harder for God to Create a grain of sand or a whole universe instantly?
    Why would God need to do it INSTANTLY ? I can never get one of you guys to explain this reasoning brother !! God lives in ALL TIME so as soon as He created the Universe He was living in its finished product in the future, so please explain why God would need to CHANGE the Laws of Nature He created, God doesn't need to hurry anything up man, so why change the laws of nature !! WHY ? Man was created 6000 years ago. By the time man was created the Universes had been here 13.7 billion years, but with God, there is no time, so you have to explain the WHY God would need to change the Laws of Nature because it is nonsensical !!

You have to give a reason WHY ?

And by the way, the Universe is still forming. The Universe did come from something the size of a grain of sand. The Universe had to be the exact size it os or it couldn't be here according to our Laws of Nature. The ones God designed. As soon as God created the Universe, he was living in the finished product !! He's living in the future where we are all in Heaven now, God can do that. So WHY change the Laws of Nature ?

The Answer is He didn't change the Laws of this Universe to Crate this Universe.

Thread Information