Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Day of the Lord: the actual meaning of the word YOWM

Re: The Day of the Lord: the actual meaning of the word YOWM

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    Agree Keck and REVman, Fenris has lots to offer ( us-Christians ) but he does not see many things as we do. I don’t fear him at all.

He is not saved however ( as we understand it ) and does not understand the Scriptures as we do ( he’s admitted this ).

That a huge issue don’t you think?

I have a buddy at work, True Blue conservative if there ever was one, but he does not know the Lord. Not one bit, but he’s got it right as far as politics and cultural issues go. I agree with Him, but he totally misses the whole picture. The BIG picture.

He can only teach me so much, and he can teach me nothing about the Gospel and how to have a relationship with Christ.
    True, its like the Pharisees trying to teach Christ, or Peter/Paul, it just not going to be very constructive. Nicodemus might have eventually got it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation Man View Post
    I have seen you on 4 or 5 message boards, I have different names, and I have basically never agreed with you on anything, and I have been preaching 33 years. I don't think we will start agreeing on things anytime soon. I usually just stop replying to people that I never agree on anything with. I mean, something is wrong when a preacher can agree on ZERO with another Christian.
    Your aware that just because we believe something, ( even with all our hearts ) does not make it true? Just saying.

We can all learn from each other, perhaps another sees something we dont? We are all prone to error. True truth be the real destination. Yes?

Somethings is wrong,.....yes, this tells us all something....
    A cannot be A & not A at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

Blog Entries

Why would God need to do it INSTANTLY ?
    Why wouldn’t He? Why couldn’t He? All I am saying is that he could make it instantly if He chose to. It appears from the Genesis narrative, that’s what He did. Don’t forget, He did water to wine in seconds/min, we all know how long it takes to make wine...

I can never get one of you guys to explain this reasoning brother !! God lives in ALL TIME so as soon as He created the Universe He was living in its finished product in the future, so please explain why God would need to CHANGE the Laws of Nature He created, [/QUOTE]

He did not change the laws, he created them. For a time being ( during the actual creation) all “laws of nature” were a moot point. Nothing existed before he created. Once fully created, ( like an engine ) it ran on its own DESIGNED principles, gravity, physics etc...

God doesn't need to hurry anything up man,
    And man does not need to slow God down

so why change the laws of nature !! WHY ?
    See above. These laws first needed to be created. Once established, they run.

Man was created 6000 years ago. By the time man was created the Universes had been here 13.7 billion years,
    So goes the assumption, proof is actually not there.

but with God, there is no time,
    Agree brother!

so you have to explain the WHY God would need to change the Laws of Nature because it is nonsensical !
    Not really. Explain?

You have to give a reason WHY ?
    See above

And by the way, the Universe is still forming. The Universe did come from something the size of a grain of sand. The Universe had to be the exact size it os or it couldn't be here according to our Laws of Nature. The ones God designed. As soon as God created the Universe, he was living in the finished product !! He's living in the future where we are all in Heaven now, God can do that.

Agree, nicely said.

So WHY change the Laws of Nature ?
    He didn’t, they were just not created until they were fully created, and therefore would not exist. They now govern our physical world, of which, God can and does “break into” at any given moment. Yes?

The Answer is He didn't change the Laws of this Universe to Crate this Universe.[/QUOTE]
    A cannot be A & not A at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

Blog Entries

Why would God need to do it INSTANTLY ? I can never get one of you guys to explain this reasoning brother !! God lives in ALL TIME so as soon as He created the Universe He was living in its finished product in the future, so please explain why God would need to CHANGE the Laws of Nature He created, God doesn't need to hurry anything up man, so why change the laws of nature !! WHY ? Man was created 6000 years ago. By the time man was created the Universes had been here 13.7 billion years, but with God, there is no time, so you have to explain the WHY God would need to change the Laws of Nature because it is nonsensical !!

You have to give a reason WHY ?

And by the way, the Universe is still forming. The Universe did come from something the size of a grain of sand. The Universe had to be the exact size it os or it couldn't be here according to our Laws of Nature. The ones God designed. As soon as God created the Universe, he was living in the finished product !! He's living in the future where we are all in Heaven now, God can do that. So WHY change the Laws of Nature ?

The Answer is He didn't change the Laws of this Universe to Crate this Universe.
    The very first verse in the bible disagrees with you the universe didnt start as the size of a grain of sand

genesis 1:1
    1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Agree Keck and REVman, Fenris has lots to offer ( us-Christians ) but he does not see many things as we do. I dont fear him at all.

He is not saved however ( as we understand it ) and does not understand the Scriptures as we do ( hes admitted this ).

That a huge issue dont you think?

I have a buddy at work, True Blue conservative if there ever was one, but he does not know the Lord. Not one bit, but hes got it right as far as politics and cultural issues go. I agree with Him, but he totally misses the whole picture. The BIG picture.

He can only teach me so much, and he can teach me nothing about the Gospel and how to have a relationship with Christ.
    Maybe he has been blinded until the fullness of the Gentiles be come and then he will be born again, saved.

Who knows, God knows!

I agree that yom represents a period of time, and not necessarily a single solar day. Hence, a sunlit day can metaphorically project to mean a period of time, such as a year or an eternity. I don't, however, believe that the time, times and half a time represent the Day of the Lord. The day of the Lord in eschatology is focused on the singular solar day in which Christ returns. Of course, on one side of the earth that will be daytime, while on the other side of the earth that will be night time.

There may be another sense in eschatology in which yom applies. It may be that the Kingdom Age may be referred to as a "day," as well. It is an era.

But I really like how you explain the 6 days of creation, with evening and morning represent the beginning and end of an era. Each creation day seems to represent an undefined stage of creative development in which certain things happened. This was the original classification of creation, as revealed by God, beginning with light and ending with man. In between is the preparation of a habitat for man.

Truly, we need not try to read science into our nave view of a biblical "day!" We will lose those who have been taught that religion is more myth than fact. Christianity is really all about truth, and about submission to the facts of life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    It doesn't say "Yom". It says יְמֵ֣י "Yimei" which is plural and means "days".
    Thank you I was using the Strongs definition which unfortunately only shows the root form.
    The days is seen under 1c

יְמֵ֣י is also found in Genesis 3:14.

Blog Entries

No it's not a bad translation, I understand that while the EARTH REMAINS means AS LONG as the Earth Remains, seems you didn't comprehend that.

#3117.
    יוֹם
    yom (398a); a prim. root; day:
    NASB - afternoon*(1), age(8), age*(1), all(1), always*(14), amount*(2), battle(1), birthday*(1), Chronicles*(38), completely*(1), continually*(14), course*(1), daily(22), daily the days(1), day(1115), day of the days(1), day that the period(1), day's(6), day's every day(1), daylight*(1), days(635), days on the day(1), days to day(1), days you shall daily(1), days ago(1), days'(11), each(1), each day(4), entire(2), eternity(1), evening*(1), ever in your life*(1), every day(2), fate(1), first(5), forever*(11), forevermore*(1), full(5), full year(1), future*(1), holiday*(3), later*(2), length(1), life(12), life*(1), lifetime(2), lifetime*(1), live(1), long(2), long as i live(1), long*(11), midday*(1), now(5), older*(1), once(2), period(3), perpetually*(2), present(1), recently(1), reigns(1), ripe*(1), short-lived*(1), so long*(1), some time(1), survived*(2), time(45), time*(1), times*(2), today(172), today*(1), usual(1), very old*(1), when(10), when the days(1), whenever(1), while(3), whole(2), year(10), yearly(5), years(13), yesterday*(1).
    NAS Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible with Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Dictionaries

I just so happen to use the KJV all the time, but I understand when its not quite up to par and I look at other translations, I knew at meant as LONG as the earth Remained. And YOWM was thus used for a PERIOD OF TIME !!

{Holman version} Genesis 8:22 As long as the earth endures,
    seedtime and harvest, cold and heat,
    summer and winter, and day and night
    will not cease.

So, again, you took ONE VERSE like him, and ignored the facts in the OP, the word YOWM is used for TIME PERIODS, I guess the 15 examples weren't enough. I could paste 100 more examples where it doesn't have to mean day !! I doubt that would suffice.

And I write blogs, I do both Greek and Hebrew word studies everyday sister.

In the end, when people get to heaven, they will find out the universe is 13.7 billion years old, the earth is 4.5 billion years old, and that God never stated He created the Universe in 6 actual days. It was 6 time periods of.................... we have to figure it out !! And people will also understand likewise that the Day of the Lord is 3.5 years.
    I focused on one verse as this was the verse Fenris highlighted and wanted to get to grips with.

The word used was not "yowm" but as he noted the plural "yame" which means days.
    Now to say "as continue days ..." can be rephrased as "while (time) remains..." however one is a LITERAL translation, the other is NOT.

It is in fact a BAD translation here because the focus is put on the earth remaining when it should be that time measured in days, day by day then things will continue on the earth.

If you do word studies in Greek and Hebrew then I wonder who helps you.

A day can be used as a metaphor, but the usage in certain places is DISTINCTLY and PRECISELY about a day which is made of an evening and a morning.
    Now how you want to reinterpret that CLEAR usage, such as you have it as a story, is up to you, but that doesn't change the meaning being used in the passage. Here the ACTUAL meaning in Genesis 1 is for a 2 section day of evening and morning.

Blog Entries

You seem to think the earth is 6000 years old, and I am supposed converse with you on this subject, come on !!
    If you are able to get into the science. I think you have puff science.
    However I am not particularly interested in discussing the age of the earth - with you or anyone.
    I am only interested in End Times, and in this thread about the usage of day.

I have seen you on 4 or 5 message boards, I have different names, and I have basically never agreed with you on anything, and I have been preaching 33 years. I don't think we will start agreeing on things anytime soon. I usually just stop replying to people that I never agree on anything with. I mean, something is wrong when a preacher can agree on ZERO with another Christian.
    You haven't seen me on another message board as I don't have time.
    People can preach sound doctrine or rubbish for 33 years. The length of time is immaterial. The quality is what matters.

I don't tag people, but I notice you do it al the time, "proud" is just one example.
    You are the one who stated "men are too proud" it was YOUR tag I was responding to.

The Universe is 13.7 billion years old and was created in TIME PERIODS, not DAYS. Those are facts, and all will see those facts when they get to Heaven.
    The Universe is not that age.
    Now as to how it was created, we have a very clear statement in Genesis 1 that it was done in 6 time periods, and each of those time periods was called a day, and each of those days was split into evening and morning.
    However the very ordering of the statements do NOT allow for a LONG period of time for each of these days.
    For example:
    1:2 we have an earth in existence but not yet formed.
    1:3 we have light - some say this is the Big Bang
    Yet then how was the earth already there with water BEFORE the Big Bang?
    1:6 we have he formation of seas, 1:9 land, and 1:11 vegetation

1:14 though is the formation of stars - so no stars before then? How long was the first day - the Big Bang? Surely that was very short.

How was there light without any stars (including the sun) and how was night known? How could the sea be separated without the lunar mass, and why would plants grow up with out the sun?
    1:16 after all is the sun and moon, so for your entire day (age) previously we have an earth without a sun or moon.

Genesis 1 does NOT describe the formation of the world as according to Big Bang proponents nor Long Age Theorists.
    Now you can say that Genesis 1 is but a story, but then you can remove the attempt to make it scientifically fit a long age view.
    Either it is an ACCURATE depiction of what happened, in which case it literally was 6 days, or it is a symbolic story, in which case the days are but part of the story, and the meaning of day remains as is, but then it is NO LONGER a SCIENTIFICALLY comparable explanation.

Blog Entries

Getting back to the thread point about Day.
    The first example given is 2 Kings 17:37

However the word used is:
    הַיָּמִ֑ים

This is a plural form and means more literally "the days"
    So it should have been translated as:
    2Ki 17:37* And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for the days which you have; and ye shall not fear other gods.

So it is NOT that the word has changed meaning, it is still days, but when those days are the total of your days, then is for always for you, or forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    What difference does it make if you're not born again Fenris?

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

I don't really discuss my Christian understandings with Hebrew Root type guys. I see your type come in and try to sow confusion on Christians, and I don't accept that someone without the unction of the Holy Spirit can teach me anything about God my friend.

We can be fiends and all, but we can't discuss my Christian beliefs with any real back and forth. I see it as people who try to undermine Christianity, from what I have seen. So I am really not interested in the discussion. If you want to know about Jesus we can go there, but until you know Jesus, you can't really understand the bible in ful, at least not from my perspective. That is just my opinion. Now, discussing science, we can go there, but we can't speak about your knowledge of biblical things, without Jesus being in your life. It just doesn't work for me. That would be like me trying to discuss how to build a bridge with a carpenter instead of an engineer. It doesn't mean they guy is not a great carpenter, but he knows nothing about bridge building.

Am I reading you right ? You are not Christian ?
    Original post: "1+1=3"

Fenris: "1+1=2"

You guys response: "You aren't Christian so I don't care what you have to say".

You guys aren't interested in the truth. You aren't even interested in a discussion.

True, its like the Pharisees trying to teach Christ, or Peter/Paul, it just not going to be very constructive.
    You're nothing like Jesus, or Peter, or Paul. For starters, they knew Hebrew and didn't have to rely on a flawed English translation of the bible to invent false doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    You guys kill me. Seriously. If you want to post on Hebrew topics, for God's sake at least learn the basics and read the language. Genesis 8:22 doesn't say "while the earth remaineth" or whatevereth. What it says is "For all the days of the earth". Stop using a bad translation to prove your bad points. And this is just one example, I'm not going down the line of all this nonsense.
    I love it when you post Hebrew meanings. Thank you!!!
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I love it when you post Hebrew meanings. Thank you!!!
    Thank you, brother. Can't rep you but God bless

Blog Entries

Is it harder for God to Create a grain of sand or a whole universe instantly?
    Current Quantum physics has the entire universe expanding to it's current size in less than one millionth of a second. The speed of light is irrelevant to the expansion as those physics did not exist in this 1st second of creation.

If anyone doesn't see the hand of God in this narrative, they must be blind.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Thread Information