Page 1 of 15 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Day of the Lord: the actual meaning of the word YOWM

The Day of the Lord: the actual meaning of the word YOWM

The meaning of the word YOWM (Day in most instances) is not always day as many assume. Even when day is used, it sometimes doesn't really mean a day, but the English translators seems to have thought it did. The word YOWM can mean many types of periods of time, not just day, it can mean year, month, a period of time etc. etc. We have to figure out the context and insert the actual proper time period as called for. The Hebrew only had like 4000 words (8000 later on), whilst the English has 500,000 words today.
    Let's do a Word Study of YOWM and try to contemplate why the word Day is used in Day of the Lord and in the 7 Days of Creation.
    #3117 יוֹם yowm {yome}
    from an unused root meaning TO BE HOT; TWOT - 852; n m
    —Hebrew Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar)

1) day, time, year
    1a) day (as opposed to night)
    1b) day (24 hour period)
    1b1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
    1b2) AS A DIVISION OF TIME
    1b2a) a working day, a day's journey
    1c) days, lifetime (pl.)
    1d) TIME, PERIOD (general)
    1e) year
    1f) temporal references
    1f1) today
    1f2) yesterday
    1f3) tomorrow
    —Brown-Driver-Briggs (Old Testament Hebrew-English Lexicon)

From an unused root meaning TO BE HOT; a day (as the WARM HOURS), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a SPACE OF TIME defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially):—age, + ALWAYS, + CHRONICLES, CONTINUALLY (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever (-lasting, -more), X FULL, life, as (so) long as (. . . live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X REQUIRED, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year (-ly), + younger.
    —Strong's (Hebrew & Chaldee Dictionary of the Old Testament)

#3117.
    יוֹם
    yom (398a); a prim. root; day:—

NASB - afternoon*(1), age(8), age*(1), all(1), always*(14), amount*(2), battle(1), birthday*(1), Chronicles*(38), completely*(1), continually*(14), course*(1), daily(22), daily the days(1), day(1115), day of the days(1), day that the period(1), day's(6), day's every day(1), daylight*(1), days(635), days on the day(1), days to day(1), days you shall daily(1), days ago(1), days'(11), each(1), each day(4), entire(2), eternity(1), evening*(1), ever in your life*(1), every day(2), fate(1), first(5), forever*(11), forevermore*(1), full(5), full year(1), future*(1), holiday*(3), later*(2), length(1), life(12), life*(1), lifetime(2), lifetime*(1), live(1), long(2), long as i live(1), long*(11), midday*(1), now(5), older*(1), once(2), period(3), perpetually*(2), present(1), recently(1), reigns(1), ripe*(1), short-lived*(1), so long*(1), some time(1), survived*(2), time(45), time*(1), times*(2), today(172), today*(1), usual(1), very old*(1), when(10), when the days(1), whenever(1), while(3), whole(2), year(10), yearly(5), years(13), yesterday*(1).
    —NAS Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible with Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Dictionaries

AV - day 2008, time 64, chronicles + H1697 37, daily 32, ever 17,
    year 14, continually 10, when 10, as 10, while 8, full 8 always 4, whole 4, alway 4, misc 44; 2274

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some examples where this word is used in a different way BELOW: Notice it's always used as a PERIOD OF TIME of some sort.

2 Kings 17:37 And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore(YOWM); and ye shall not fear other gods.
    Genesis 4:3 And in process of time(YOWM) it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.
    Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting(YOWM).
    Ezekiel 4:6 And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year(YOWM).
    Exodus 13:10 Thou shalt therefore keep this ordinance in his season from year to year(YOWM).
    Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth(YOWM), seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
    Genesis 40:4 And the captain of the guard charged Joseph with them, and he served them: and they continued a season(YOWM) in ward.
    Joshua 24:7 And when they cried unto the Lord, he put darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought the sea upon them, and covered them; and your eyes have seen what I have done in Egypt: and ye dwelt in the wilderness a long season(YOWM).
    1 Kings 9:3 And the Lord said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually(YOWM).
    Genesis 29:14 And Laban said to him, Surely thou art my bone and my flesh. And he abode with him the space(YOWM) of a month.

Leviticus 26:34 Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long(YOWM) as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.

Deuteronomy 28:29 And thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore(YOWM), and no man shall save thee.
    Deuteronomy 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always(YOWM), that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
    Genesis 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually(YOWM).
    Genesis 41:1 And it came to pass at the end of two full (YOWM) years, that Pharaoh dreamed: and, behold, he stood by the river.
    I could go on and on, but I think this shows enough variation and enough instances, which shows us that the Hebrew word YOWM is used for a PERIOD OF TIME in many sort of ways. Of course it is going to be used for a day more than any other word because God is going to use "SPECIFIC MENTIONS OF DAYS" more than any other period of time. Whenever a Prophet says that there will be so and so many days of this or that, he would of course use the word YOWM. But when it was meant as EVERMORE he also used the word YOWM, and when it meant as a YEAR the Prophets would have also used the word YOWM, and when Yowm was used for any set "Period of time" it was also used, etc. etc. We just have to figure out the "Timeframe".
    So God, via His Prophets, uses the word YOWM and it's up to us to eventually figure out what "PERIOD OF TIME" He (God) meant when the word Yowm was used in each instance !! The Hebrew language had 4000 words and no vowels at the time, it was a primitive language of course. We shouldn't allow the professors of that time (Pharisees, Scribes) or the English translators to sway us into saying this has to mean ONE DAY, it was a period of time and it's up to us to figure out what the period of time was in the end. All men knew back then, comparatively speaking, was that we had days, years and months. So they had to see it as something, what was it going to be ? A Day, a Year, a Month, Evermore, Perpetually, Full, Forever and Always, X Required, Space of time etc. etc. They sure didn't have a clue about how big the universe actually is like we do, they had no concept of billions of years like we do either.
    The "Day of the Lord" just like the "Creation Days" in Genesis 1 is a complete misunderstanding of the passages. We are supposed to insert the PROPER TIME PERIOD in each instance where YOWM is used. Yowm only means an in general period of time, it's like an X, Y or Z proposition, we must use factoids to understand what the actual PERIOD OF TIME actually is !! Then we choose X, Y or Z and insert it. So where God's Prophets speak of the "YOWM of the Lord" it means the "Time Period of God's Wrath", and the clues, in every instance, tells us that it is a 3.5 year period of time. Just like the clues tell us the Universe was created in a 13.7 Billion year time period. We had six periods of creation, then God rested from his Creation.
    So God created the Universe in a period of 7 YOWMS, which as shown above means periods of time in various ways. We have to figure these things out, we can't allow the dog to lead us here, we have to lead the dog. We can't allow the word DAY (YOWM) to force us to look at things in ways in which it drives people away from the Gospel. We want to understand the facts, therefore we can reach people via truths. I have seen many young people tell me things like, hey, anyone that thinks the universe is 6000 years old, I don't want to hear about your God man, you live in la la land. But when I speak in terms of knowledge/facts, they listen and say to me, "Mmmm so you believe in Evolution", and I then say why would you think that ? God created the Universe over a 13.7 billion year period, as he so desired ? (I get an OPENING) It makes them think, OK.....It opens a door to gain them via what I see as the actual facts, God did indeed create the Universe via a 13.7 Billion year time period. But if we say the Universe is 6000 years old we have no hope to reach them my brothers and sisters, none at all. And that is my/our job, that is of course why I researched this long ago, and wrote a blog on the 13.7 Billion years it took God to create the Universe and mankind. I hated Science in school, but it's my job to reach the masses with truths, so I dug in.
    Morning and Evening mean Beginning and Ending of a day, or of a period of time.
    As per the Day of the Lord, that is the Day God's Wrath starts on, but the Day of the LORD lasts 3.5 years does it not ?
    I hope the above helped explain my positions somewhat and opens people up to seeing another point of view here. YOWM is always inserted for a PERIOD OF TIME, it's up to us to understand what that period of time means in each instance. We have allowed this Hebrew word Yowm, to become associated with the word Day, even when that isn't what it means, then many people insist, how day you change the meaning of God !! When that is exactly what the translators have done themselves. Now in many instances, when the Hebrew scribes and learned men of their day didn't understand, they also inserted the word Day, knowing that each event must at least start on a day, just like the Day of the Lord has to start on a day, they couldn't say the exact time frame at that point in time. We now know via the book of Revelation that its a 3.5 year period of God's Wrath. We see it diagrammed in the Seal, Trumpet and Vial Judgments !!
    So when you see the DAY OF THE LORD, just remember, we inserted the word Day, God wrote YOWM and it is up to us to understand what "Period of Time" is meant in each case by God and His Prophets. We have to study it in depth. And when we do, we see that all of the things which must happen on "THE DAY" of the Lord can't possible happen in ONE DAY, it's just not possible, all of the incidents that take place look exactly like the Seal, Trumpet and Vial Judgments all combined into ONE EVENT !! Thus it is all considered "The Day of the Lord".
    So when one sees a reference to the Day of the Lord, just remember, the Hebrew in Zephaniah and Joel would say "the YOWM (insert time period) of the Lord is upon you" or the 3.5 years (YOWM) of God's Wrath is upon you.

Re: The Day of the Lord: the actual meaning of the word YOWM

John 6:40
    40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    KJV

John 11:24
    24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
    KJV

It's pretty clear what day that is just by understanding how that resurrection is still a future event linked with the day of Jesus' 2nd coming.

2 Peter 3:10-12
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    KJV

Apostle Peter also made it simple what that "day of the Lord" is about that will end this present world, burning man's works off this earth. Peter also associated the concept of a 'day' to The LORD can mean a thousand years...

2 Peter 3:8
    8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    KJV

So our Heavenly Father has His concept of time independent of our flesh world.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation Man View Post
    The meaning of the word YOWM (Day in most instances) is not always day as many assume. Even when day is used, it sometimes doesn't really mean a day

So when one sees a reference to the Day of the Lord, just remember, the Hebrew in Zephaniah and Joel would say "the YOWM (insert time period) of the Lord is upon you" or the 3.5 years (YOWM) of God's Wrath is upon you.
    So Day shouldn't be understood as day, but rather it should be understood as an unspecific 'time period'.

However, 'thousand years' should always be understood as a specific thousand years only, and should never be understood as an unspecific 'time period'.

Got it!

Blog Entries

Psalms 50:1-3 makes it clear how long the Day of the Lord's wrath by fire will be; from the rising of the sun until its setting...…

This is confirmed by many prophesies about that terrible Day, just a short time only, or nothing would survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    Psalms 50:1-3 makes it clear how long the Day of the Lord's wrath by fire will be; from the rising of the sun until its setting...…

This is confirmed by many prophesies about that terrible Day, just a short time only, or nothing would survive.
    NOOOOOO. You can't use Psalm's 50 as a prooftext verse for 'day' ....if you do, you have to also use Psalm's 50 for a prooftext for 'thousand' as well.

Psalms 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

Does God only own the literal cattle on only 1000 exact, literal hills; or can 1000 be interpretted as a large, unstated number of hills?

Look at the can of worms you open

I apologize for the post being jumbled, it wasn't that way when I hit "Post Quick Reply", but we can no longer "Edit a post" for some reason. I will try to repost it here and make it more legible, I am embarrassed by that jumbled mess. Here goes nothing !!

The meaning of the word YOWM (Day in most instances) is not always day as many assume. Even when day is used, it sometimes doesn't really mean a day, but the English translators seems to have thought it did. The word YOWM can mean many types of periods of time, not just day, it can mean year, month, a period of time etc. etc. We have to figure out the context and insert the actual proper time period as called for. The Hebrew only had like 4000 words (8000 later on), whilst the English has 500,000 words today.
    Let's do a Word Study of YOWM and try to contemplate why the word Day is used in Day of the Lord and in the 7 Days of Creation.

#3117 יוֹם yowm {yome}
    from an unused root meaning TO BE HOT; TWOT - 852; n m
    —Hebrew Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar)

1) day, time, year
    1a) day (as opposed to night)
    1b) day (24 hour period)
    1b1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
    1b2) AS A DIVISION OF TIME
    1b2a) a working day, a day's journey
    1c) days, lifetime (pl.)
    1d) TIME, PERIOD (general)
    1e) year
    1f) temporal references
    1f1) today
    1f2) yesterday
    1f3) tomorrow
    —Brown-Driver-Briggs (Old Testament Hebrew-English Lexicon)

From an unused root meaning TO BE HOT; a day (as the WARM HOURS), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a SPACE OF TIME defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially):—age, + ALWAYS, + CHRONICLES, CONTINUALLY (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever (-lasting, -more), X FULL, life, as (so) long as (. . . live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X REQUIRED, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year (-ly), + younger.
    —Strong's (Hebrew & Chaldee Dictionary of the Old Testament)

#3117.
    יוֹם
    yom (398a); a prim. root; day:—

NASB - afternoon*(1), age(8), age*(1), all(1), always*(14), amount*(2), battle(1), birthday*(1), Chronicles*(38), completely*(1), continually*(14), course*(1), daily(22), daily the days(1), day(1115), day of the days(1), day that the period(1), day's(6), day's every day(1), daylight*(1), days(635), days on the day(1), days to day(1), days you shall daily(1), days ago(1), days'(11), each(1), each day(4), entire(2), eternity(1), evening*(1), ever in your life*(1), every day(2), fate(1), first(5), forever*(11), forevermore*(1), full(5), full year(1), future*(1), holiday*(3), later*(2), length(1), life(12), life*(1), lifetime(2), lifetime*(1), live(1), long(2), long as i live(1), long*(11), midday*(1), now(5), older*(1), once(2), period(3), perpetually*(2), present(1), recently(1), reigns(1), ripe*(1), short-lived*(1), so long*(1), some time(1), survived*(2), time(45), time*(1), times*(2), today(172), today*(1), usual(1), very old*(1), when(10), when the days(1), whenever(1), while(3), whole(2), year(10), yearly(5), years(13), yesterday*(1).
    —NAS Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible with Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Dictionaries

AV - day 2008, time 64, chronicles + H1697 37, daily 32, ever 17,
    year 14, continually 10, when 10, as 10, while 8, full 8 always 4, whole 4, alway 4, misc 44; 2274
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some examples where this word is used in a different way BELOW: Notice it's always used as a PERIOD OF TIME of some sort.

2 Kings 17:37 And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore(YOWM); and ye shall not fear other gods.

Genesis 4:3 And in process of time(YOWM) it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.

Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting(YOWM).

Ezekiel 4:6 And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year(YOWM).

Exodus 13:10 Thou shalt therefore keep this ordinance in his season from year to year(YOWM).

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth(YOWM), seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Genesis 40:4 And the captain of the guard charged Joseph with them, and he served them: and they continued a season(YOWM) in ward.

Joshua 24:7 And when they cried unto the Lord, he put darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought the sea upon them, and covered them; and your eyes have seen what I have done in Egypt: and ye dwelt in the wilderness a long season(YOWM).

1 Kings 9:3 And the Lord said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually(YOWM).

Genesis 29:14 And Laban said to him, Surely thou art my bone and my flesh. And he abode with him the space(YOWM) of a month.

Leviticus 26:34 Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long(YOWM) as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.

Deuteronomy 28:29 And thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore(YOWM), and no man shall save thee.

Deuteronomy 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always(YOWM), that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

Genesis 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually(YOWM).

Genesis 41:1 And it came to pass at the end of two full (YOWM) years, that Pharaoh dreamed: and, behold, he stood by the river.

I could go on and on, but I think this shows enough variation and enough instances, which shows us that the Hebrew word YOWM is used for a PERIOD OF TIME in many sort of ways. Of course it is going to be used for a day more than any other word because God is going to use "SPECIFIC MENTIONS OF DAYS" more than any other period of time. Whenever a Prophet said that there will be so and so many days of this or that, he would of course use the word YOWM. But when it was meant as EVERMORE he also used the word YOWM, and when it meant as a YEAR the Prophets would have also used the word YOWM, and when Yowm was used for any set "Period of time" it was also used, etc. etc. We just have to figure out the "Timeframe".

So God, via His Prophets, uses the word YOWM and it's up to us to eventually figure out what "PERIOD OF TIME" He (God) meant when the word Yowm was used in each instance!! The Hebrew language had 4000 words and no vowels at the time, it was a primitive language of course. We shouldn't allow the professors of that time (Pharisees, Scribes) or the English translators to sway us into saying this has to mean or can only mean, "ONE DAY", it was a period of time and it's up to us to figure out what the period of time was in the end. All the men knew back then, comparatively speaking, was that we had days, years and months. So they had to see it as something, what was it going to be? A Day, a Year, a Month, Evermore, Perpetually, Full, Forever and Always, X Required, Space of time etc. etc. They sure didn't have a clue about how big the universe actually is like we do, they had no concept of billions of years like we do either.

The "Day of the Lord" just like the "Creation Days" in Genesis chapter 1 is a complete misunderstanding of the passages. We are supposed to insert the PROPER TIME PERIOD in each instance where YOWM is used. Yowm only means an in general period of time, it's like an X, Y or Z proposition, we must use factoids to understand what the actual PERIOD OF TIME actually is !! Then we choose X, Y or Z and insert it. So where God's Prophets speak of the "YOWM of the Lord" it means the "Time Period of God's Wrath", and the clues, in every instance, tells us that it is a 3.5 year period of time. Just like the clues tell us the Universe was created in a 13.7 Billion year time period. We had six periods of creation, then God rested from his Creation.

So God created the Universe in a period of 7 YOWMS, which as shown above means periods of time in various ways. We have to figure these things out, we can't allow the dog to lead us here, we have to lead the dog. We can't allow the word DAY (YOWM) to force us to look at things in ways in which it drives people away from the Gospel. We want to understand the facts, therefore we can reach people via truths. I have seen many young people tell me things like, hey, anyone that thinks the universe is 6000 years old, I don't want to hear about your God man, you live in la la land. But when I speak in terms of knowledge/facts, they listen and say to me, "Mmmm so you believe in Evolution", and I then say why would you think that ? God created the Universe over a 13.7 billion year period, as He so desired ? (I get an OPENING) It makes them think, OK.....It opens a door to gain them via what I see as the actual facts anyway, God did indeed create the Universe via a 13.7 Billion year time period. But if we say the Universe is 6000 years old we have no hope to reach them my brothers and sisters, none at all. And that is my/our job in the end, that is of course why I researched this long ago, and wrote a blog on the 13.7 Billion years it took God to create the Universe and mankind. I hated Science in school, but it's my job to reach the masses with truths, so I dug in.

Morning and Evening mean Beginning and Ending of a day, or of a period of time.

As per the Day of the Lord, that is the Day God's Wrath starts on, but the Day of the LORD lasts 3.5 years does it not ?

I hope the above helped explain my positions somewhat and opens people up to seeing another point of view here. YOWM is always inserted for a PERIOD OF TIME, it's up to us to understand what that period of time means in each instance. We have allowed this Hebrew word Yowm, to become associated with the word Day, even when that isn't what it means, then many people insist, how dare you change the meaning of God !! When that is exactly what the translators have done themselves. Now in many instances, when the Hebrew scribes and learned men of their day didn't understand clearly, they also inserted the word Day, knowing that each event must at least start on a day, just like the Day of the Lord has to start on a day, they couldn't say the exact time frame at that point in time. We now know via the book of Revelation that its a 3.5 year period of God's Wrath. We see it diagrammed in the Seal, Trumpet and Vial Judgments !!

So when you see the DAY OF THE LORD, just remember, we inserted the word Day, whereas God's Prophets wrote YOWM and it is up to us to understand what "Period of Time" is meant in each case by God and His Prophets. We have to study it in depth. And when we do, we see that all of the things which must happen on "THE DAY" of the Lord can't possible happen in ONE DAY, it's just not possible, all of the incidents that take place look exactly like the Seal, Trumpet and Vial Judgments all combined into ONE EVENT !! Thus it is all considered "The Day of the Lord".

I hope this is now legible !!

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    So Day shouldn't be understood as day, but rather it should be understood as an unspecific 'time period'.

However, 'thousand years' should always be understood as a specific thousand years only, and should never be understood as an unspecific 'time period'.

Got it!
    It needs to be understood that YOWM doesn't mean DAY even though most of the times it is used it is used for day. The problem is that everytime its translated and called a day, that doesn't mean it means a day. YOWM mean a period of time which then needs to be CLARIFIED in the sentence/verse. Since the universe was created in 13.7 Billion years and writers had no idea on that, they wrote YOWM without giving a specified time, they did not write day, they wrote YOWM, which can mean any period of time, just as I point out in all the passages or verses above.

So I don't think you do get it brother, at least not the points I am making here. Who called YOWM a day ? The Hebrew Bible has YOWM not day !! YOWM can mean 50 different things !! It's always a TIME PERIOD, but its not always a Day. The Universe was not created in 6 days.

Some people have tunnel vision, they can't get away from old ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by DavePeace View Post
    John 6:40
    40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    KJV

John 11:24
    24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
    KJV

It's pretty clear what day that is just by understanding how that resurrection is still a future event linked with the day of Jesus' 2nd coming.
    Why are you even bringing the Greek word HEMERA into the argument ? It indeed is no the Hebrew YOWM and means day.

Of course the verse you cited mea 2 different days. The verse Martha was speaking in is of course speaking about when the traditional Jews understood the Resurrection to be at, THE LAST day when the messiah came to save them, that is what Daniel ch. 12 says will happen also, the Wheat {Israel} indeed stays on earth with the tares until the end.

The other verse means the Last Day of the Church on earth of course.

2 Peter 3:10-12
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    KJV

Apostle Peter also made it simple what that "day of the Lord" is about that will end this present world, burning man's works off this earth. Peter also associated the concept of a 'day' to The LORD can mean a thousand years...
    Since Jesus reigns from earth for 1000 years this should tell you that the Day of the Lord {as quoted from the Old Testament word YOWM} can't mean ONE DAY, because the earth is not going to dissolve in ONE DAY, that is for sure.

2 Peter 3:8
    8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    KJV

So our Heavenly Father has His concept of time independent of our flesh world.
    So, I don't think that concept has nothing to do with what this verse actually means brother. It is only Peter telling these people that God lives in all time at once, He is thus not impatient in His coming, because He knows all things and lives in all times at once. In other words, He is assuring them God already has the Victory in hand. God lives in the future and of course He has already won the victory, whereas we live one day at a time, God doesn't, so don't worry about the scoffers.

At least that is how I see it.

God Bless, gotta run to the store.

You guys kill me. Seriously. If you want to post on Hebrew topics, for God's sake at least learn the basics and read the language. Genesis 8:22 doesn't say "while the earth remaineth" or whatevereth. What it says is "For all the days of the earth". Stop using a bad translation to prove your bad points. And this is just one example, I'm not going down the line of all this nonsense.

Blog Entries

NOOOOOO. You can't use Psalm's 50 as a prooftext verse for 'day' ....if you do, you have to also use Psalm's 50 for a prooftext for 'thousand' as well.

Psalms 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

Does God only own the literal cattle on only 1000 exact, literal hills; or can 1000 be interpretted as a large, unstated number of hills?

Look at the can of worms you open
    It does not follow that we must take Psalm 50:10 literally. That is an obvious metaphor, whereas verse 3 is a clear statement, one that reinforces the great Day of the Lord's fiery wrath, taking place in just one day.

Revman said:
    As per the Day of the Lord, that is the Day God's Wrath starts on, but the Day of the LORD lasts 3.5 years does it not ? Quote

No, it does not; the next prophesied event; the DoL, Psalms 83, Zechariah 1:14-18, Isaiah 66:15-17, 2 peter 3:7, +, His worldwide Judgement of the nations, does not last for 3 1/2 years, His wrath against the Anti-Christ and those who follow him, in the final half of the last 7 years, does. Revelation 15:1

Blog Entries

Got it!
    I guess I finally got it to LOL

So I don't think you do get it brother, at least not the points I am making here. Who called YOWM a day ? The Hebrew Bible has YOWM not day !! YOWM can mean 50 different things !! It's always a TIME PERIOD, but its not always a Day. The Universe was not created in 6 days.

Some people have tunnel vision, they can't get away from old ideas.
    I think I have Day and YOWM not being a day figured out now.

Genesis 1:5-31
    1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
    1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
    1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
    1:19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
    1:23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
    1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

So restating this above, using the explanation you provided earlier on how 'Day' is not a day, and the universe was not created in 6 days; I should rather, understand it this way:

1:5 And God called the light Day(a long unknown period of time), and the darkness he called Night(another long unknown period of time). And the evening(another long unknown period of time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time) were the first day(the initial mentioned long unknown period of time).
    1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior evening duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior morning duration of unknown time) were the second day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time).
    1:13 And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the third day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time).
    1:19 And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the fourth day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time).
    1:23 And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the fifth day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time).
    1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the sixth day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time). .

I think this is much, much clearer now, and noone should have any problem seeing the truth and not be fouled up with tunnel vision

Blog Entries

1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
    1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
    1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

So restating this above, using the explanation you provided earlier on how 'Day' is not a day, and the universe was not created in 6 days; I should rather, understand it this way:

1:5 And God called the light Day(a long unknown period of time), and the darkness he called Night(another long unknown period of time). And the evening(another long unknown period of time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time) were the first day(the initial mentioned long unknown period of time).
    1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior evening duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior morning duration of unknown time) were the second day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time).
    1:13 And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the third day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time).
    1:19 And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the fourth day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time).
    1:23 And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the fifth day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time).
    1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown prior days period of time, or the prior evenings duration of unknown time) and the morning(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown day period of time, or the prior mornings duration of unknown time) were the sixth day(another long unknown period of time, that may or may not be the same duration of the original long unknown days period of time, or subsequent long unknown days periods of time). .

I think this is much, much clearer now, and noone should have any problem seeing the truth and not be fouled up with tunnel vision
    What you said, thanks I understand now...

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    You guys kill me. Seriously. If you want to post on Hebrew topics, for God's sake at least learn the basics and read the language. Genesis 8:22 doesn't say "while the earth remaineth" or whatevereth. What it says is "For all the days of the earth". Stop using a bad translation to prove your bad points. And this is just one example, I'm not going down the line of all this nonsense.
    It states this in the KJV...........

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

This in my Hebrew Masoretic Bible

8:22 While x5750 the earth 776 remaineth, 3117 x3605 seedtime 2233 and harvest, 7105 and cold 7120 and heat, 2527 and summer 7019 and winter, 2779 and day 3117 and night 3915 shall not x3808 cease. 7673 z8799

3117 = YOWM, so I have no clue what you are even speaking about.

Gen. 8:22 od Käl-y'mëy hääretz zera w'qätziyr w'qor wächom w'qayitz wächoref w'yôm wälay'läh lo yish'Botû

You added nothing to the topic brother in reality. You pointed out a verse doesn't say what it actually does say !!

I think you are trying to be a wisenheimer brother. If you can't or don't feel you can take the topic serious why jump in ? I am serious about the Lord brother, it's not a funny game to me.

The earth is 4.5 Billion years old and the Universe is 137 Billion years old. { Old Blog on the universe's age, I also posted on Atheist Debate sites This shows that Yowm in Genesus one can not be a Day, so it fits here.}

I as a 30 year Christian try to think outside the box of normality. Is the universe 6000 years old? Is the universe 13.7 billion years old? Do these two questions clash or is there a translation barrier !! This is how I think. I try to bring both poles of thought towards each other starting with the facts. We know the universe has to be over 6000 years old because we see light from stars that are millions of light years away, so we would have to be kinda naive to think the universe is 6000 years old.

Onward to what Genesis says about creation, does it really say the universe or earth is 6000 years old? I don’t think it does, I think it's a mistranslation of a primitive language that had only around 4000 words at the time Genesis was written, whereas the English language has 500,000 words. So many of the Hebrew words were used in multiple ways. For instance the original meaning of the Hebrew word YOWM (Day) means “to be hot” and there are at least 50 other meanings listed in strong’s concordances lexicon of Hebrew words. A year, a month, a period of time, chronicles, evening and morning (Beginning and end), age, perpetually, long, some time, whole, X required season, continually etc. etc., well you get the point.

YOWM or “To be hot”, what would this mean and why was it used since God is supposed to have given Moses the first five books of the Torah. Well when the universe was spoken into existence by God, it took 400 million years for the first stars to form. So the first Day (to be hot) was the Evening (Darkness, 400 million years of darkness) and the Morning (The stars started forming) and the first day was a “period of time” and in my opinion it lasted from 13.7 Billion BC until 4.5 Billion BC (9.2 Billion years) when the Sun & Earth were formed. So let's take a second and look at the Bible and the WMAP research and see if this matches.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Now look below at the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) which launched in 2001 and won many awards, they mapped the whole universe out. Below as we see, you had Quantum Fluctuations which I contend is God, then you had Inflation, followed by Afterglow, followed by 400 MILLION YEARS of Darkness !! Just like the bible says in verse 2, and there was Darkness on the Face of the Deep !! God's word is perfect, it is us who are confused. DARK AGES Mapped out by the WMAP, followed by what? The first stars forming at the 400 million year mark. Verse three says what? and God said “Let there be light” God is right again. We are looking at Creation from God's POV, no man was there of course and with God he is not subject to time, he created time for us via this universe, but He is eternal and thus was never created. Remember the verse, a thousand years is like a day and a day like unto a thousand years unto God. In other words God lives in the past, present and future all at the same time.

wmap-timeline.jpg

Maybe it will show the WMAP map above, if not it can be Googled.

So we had the Big Bang, followed by Inflation, followed by Cosmic Microwave background where after 375,000 years loose electrons cool enough to combine with protons. The Universe becomes Transparent to Light. The Microwave background begins to shine. Then the dark ages/clouds of dark hydrogen gas cool and coalesce.

The first stars appear….Gas Clouds collapse, the fusion of Stars begin, the first of which appears at about 400 million years after the big bang. So, when the bible says Darkness was on the face of the deep, God knew exactly what was happening in the very beginning !! The more we look for the answers, the more that science and the bible will converge, if both sides with differing viewpoints would only take their blinders off.

The second day (period of time) of course would be from the Earth & the Sun's formation until the grasses and trees came forth on the Third day (period of time) then on the Fourth day it seems God Set the Seasons or placed the Moon in its perfect orbit where our seasons are not strange, but orderly, I know the moon and earth is supposed to have collided. Anyway, that set the seasons, times, years etc. etc. Mind you, all of these ideas are rudimentary observations. A theory of how the things God says in His Holy Word and Science can both be factual. They are not meant to imply everything went down just so and in like manner, the dates of course are guesstimates, I wasn’t there.

On the Fifth day God created the Sea animals/birds and what not, were the Dinos created here or with the land animals? The fifth day lasted 300 million to 400 million years or so. On the Sixth Day around 300–350 Million BC God created the Land Animals. During this period of time the Dinosaurs became extinct about 70 Million years ago. Then during this “TIME PERIOD” (6TH DAY) God decided to create man 6000 or so years ago. Some might protest that men have been around much longer, but I offer this up, where is the data? Men are record keepers and we don’t have proof of men going back further. Now as per “MEN” being observed by scientists to have been around X Number of years, I never said Animal like men weren’t around, I stated Human Beings were created 6000 years ago, when God placed His spirit in us and thus we became immortal in that our souls can not die. We were at that point in time “Created in God's Image”. The other fossils and bones mean nothing, because Scientists have no way of testing for God imparting His spirit into mankind and creating “Human Beings” with powerful intellects.

On the Seventh Day God rested, which only means He ceased Creating the Heavens/Earth/Mankind/Animals. So when we see stars and galaxies created today, it was ordered forth 13.7 Billion years ago. So its not necessarily either or. We need to start looking at things with an open mind, be we an atheist or a Christian.

P.S. Just something to think about. Einstein’s theory of relativity is in the very first verse of the bible, relatively speaking…LOL.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning (TIME) God created the heaven(SPACE) and the earth(MATTER).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have won quite a few Atheists to Christ, not because of this blog only, but because I opened a door to them understanding that God indeed might be real. Then via conversations over months they came to know the Lord. Serving God is no joke to me. And men do have tunnel vision. The Holy Spirit showed me I had tunnel vision and told me I had to leave off Men's Traditions 5 years ago, that was why my learning curve was stunted. So men do have tunnel vision, God's scriptures tells us THAT WE SEE DARKLY !! But when we go to be with the Lord we will see clearly. That is tunnel vision. And men have the same problem they have always had since the fall, PRIDE !! Men are too proud, I see it every day. That is what I was told, you can't learn son because you know it all already !! So I put off old ideas, and allowed God to teach me.

The very people that laugh and scoff usually have it worse than anyone else.

Thread Information