Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 173

Thread: Free Everything!

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,687

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    No, Bernie will not win. He's been wrong before. He'll be wrong again. He does not represent the vast majority of Americans, many of whom are presently jaded by uneven coverage of the news. When people understand Bernie's form of socialism, they will realize he is not talking only about Social Security, and they will quickly abandon him.
    I pray that you're right. But this has a lot of appeal to people, especially millennials for some reason.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,563

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I pray that you're right. But this has a lot of appeal to people, especially millennials for some reason.
    Until you ask them if they want a socialist system for grades.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    4,987

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I pray that you're right. But this has a lot of appeal to people, especially millennials for some reason.
    He's just not accepted among the democratic powers that be. I think because he isn't left enough ( and that's flat out scary ).

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    11,182

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I pray that you're right. But this has a lot of appeal to people, especially millennials for some reason.
    You may not accept my own views, because they're specifically Christian. My daughter is a millennial. I understand her generation against the backdrop of my own generation, the Baby boomers. My generation was an extremely skeptical generation, distrustful of those in power due to the Vietnam War. There was a decided turn towards Hedonism, and the denial of Faith in God.

    So my generation raised the Millennials with the perspective of religious morality being purely relative and pragmatic. That's how various moral issues arose in a formerly conservative society: issues like equality among religions, equality between genders, transgenderism, homosexuality, abortion, and euthanasia.

    The bottom line is, for many Millennials, pragmatism replaces religious dogmatism. If various religious viewpoints are going to be tolerated without fighting, religious dogmatism must be replaced with toleration. They then were left with the formula: replace conservatism and capitalism with socialism. Failure to find solutions for universal health care was blamed on conservative political leadership and on wealthy capitalists who thrive under a conservative agenda.

    Bernie plays upon the natural skepticism we bred into our children, offering himself as a better kind of leadership destroying the power base of these conservative Republicans and companies that benefit from conservative philosophy. But as the campaign progresses, the Millennials must ask themselves, How can we trust Bernie any more than a former generation trusted Richard Nixon or Lyndon Johnson? And if we give our power and control over to Bernie, how can we ever get our power back and hold him accountable?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,687

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    The bottom line is, for many Millennials, pragmatism replaces religious dogmatism.
    I don't think they're being pragmatic at all. They're embracing whole heartedly an economic system that has destroyed every country that practiced it.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,687

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    He's just not accepted among the democratic powers that be. I think because he isn't left enough ( and that's flat out scary ).
    Yeah, it is. It looks like the Democrat nominee will be either very far left, or extremely far left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Until you ask them if they want a socialist system for grades.
    True. But they don't care in this case, because nobody's taking their money away. Yet.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Posts
    3,586
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I'm here for my free stuff! Gimme gimme gimme!
    YES!!!...
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Posts
    3,586
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I pray that you're right. But this has a lot of appeal to people, especially millennials for some reason.
    Yup..the millennial generation are all in with him. I know many that are giving him the thumbs up. Then there's the poor and struggling who wonder what good capitalism is when the wages have been stagnant for over 10 years while the cost of living has quadrupled. Where is all that money going? In the pockets of those at the top. Somebody better real those folks inn before Bernie wins.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

  9. #24

    Re: Free Everything!

    Some of you raise some really valid issues that concern Bernie supporters, How do conservatives want to address those issues?
    "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right."


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Bookshelf
    Posts
    6,771
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    So my generation raised the Millennials with the perspective of religious morality being purely relative

    It's nice to see someone in your generation actually acknowledge this.


    I think the trend towards socialism has different causes than on moral issues. Socialist messaging works because we are seeing the abuse of capitalism in the form of wealth hoarding and inequality with our own eyes. It's ineffective to respond with, "It was better in the old days, trust me, the system works!" Meanwhile Jane and Joe can't bankrupt out of student debt after a mass layoff, whilst CEO takes a $15M bonus. Difficult argument to have on economic. On morality though it's a mixed bag - Mils/Z's are actually more conservative than our parents on issues like abortion but less so on sexual orientation. The future of America IMO is further right on personal freedoms but further left on fiscal freedom.


    Bernie plays upon the natural skepticism we bred into our children,
    This is an interesting thought, I'll have to chew on it. My first inclination is that our skepticism is directed more towards corporations than the government. Whereas boomers were jaded from witnessing horrible gov't practices, we (general) are jaded by witnessing horrible business practices. The negative emotions you feel when seeing the phrase "big government" is the same reaction we have to "large corporations" or "monopolies." Just thinking out-loud!

    Quote Originally Posted by Saved7 View Post
    Then there's the poor and struggling who wonder what good capitalism is when the wages have been stagnant for over 10 years while the cost of living has quadrupled. Where is all that money going? In the pockets of those at the top. Somebody better real those folks inn before Bernie wins.

    Very well said.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    He's just not accepted among the democratic powers that be. I think because he isn't left enough ( and that's flat out scary ).
    Good point.

    Bernie Sanders is too conservative.

    Wow. Thatís like saying Karl Marx is too capitalist.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    You may not accept my own views, because they're specifically Christian. My daughter is a millennial. I understand her generation against the backdrop of my own generation, the Baby boomers. My generation was an extremely skeptical generation, distrustful of those in power due to the Vietnam War. There was a decided turn towards Hedonism, and the denial of Faith in God.

    So my generation raised the Millennials with the perspective of religious morality being purely relative and pragmatic. That's how various moral issues arose in a formerly conservative society: issues like equality among religions, equality between genders, transgenderism, homosexuality, abortion, and euthanasia.

    The bottom line is, for many Millennials, pragmatism replaces religious dogmatism. If various religious viewpoints are going to be tolerated without fighting, religious dogmatism must be replaced with toleration. They then were left with the formula: replace conservatism and capitalism with socialism. Failure to find solutions for universal health care was blamed on conservative political leadership and on wealthy capitalists who thrive under a conservative agenda.

    Bernie plays upon the natural skepticism we bred into our children, offering himself as a better kind of leadership destroying the power base of these conservative Republicans and companies that benefit from conservative philosophy. But as the campaign progresses, the Millennials must ask themselves, How can we trust Bernie any more than a former generation trusted Richard Nixon or Lyndon Johnson? And if we give our power and control over to Bernie, how can we ever get our power back and hold him accountable?
    I disagree also. Ask any Gen Z in South America what they think about socialism and you will get a universal response against it.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysesses View Post
    Some of you raise some really valid issues that concern Bernie supporters, How do conservatives want to address those issues?
    Personal responsibility and hard work.

    And less government. Obamacare raised my cost of living by 90%.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Aviyah, can you provide evidence that CEOís are raiding your personal bank account for their wealth or forcing you to pay any portion of their wages?

    You have a choice not to work for their companies or not buy their products/services.

    And if true capitalism ran pharm, prices would be what the market could bear, not what some lobbists in DC bribed the writers of the ACA to bundle in the legislation Nancy Pelosi said to vote on without reading it.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    11,182

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I don't think they're being pragmatic at all. They're embracing whole heartedly an economic system that has destroyed every country that practiced it.
    Yes, pragmatism as a philosophy isn't entirely functional as such! For example, it may appear the thing to do is to compromise with the Nazis, as Chamberlain did. But that was a disaster!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 131
    Last Post: Mar 9th 2017, 11:37 PM
  2. Discussion Free to choose, free to believe?
    By zoonswoggle in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan 1st 2013, 04:39 AM
  3. What do you think about Free Will?
    By Radagast in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Dec 23rd 2012, 03:34 AM
  4. Free Will
    By Joe King in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jul 24th 2008, 03:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •