Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 173

Thread: Free Everything!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    10,141

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I disagree also. Ask any Gen Z in South America what they think about socialism and you will get a universal response against it.
    I didn't say Socialism as a philosophy of government works. That's just the way Millennials think.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    True north strong and free
    Posts
    6,441

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Here's an excellent video about a socialist GPA system:

    I simply never trust things like this video because it's been edited. That and the audio seems way too consistent between the speakers when there was no obvious mic in shot. Also, the way it was shot seems a bit suspect. I wonder if they even got permission to video those people.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

    John777 exists to me only in quoted form.



  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    4,446

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    I simply never trust things like this video because it's been edited. That and the audio seems way too consistent between the speakers when there was no obvious mic in shot. Also, the way it was shot seems a bit suspect. I wonder if they even got permission to video those people.
    LOL... This video is a speck on a mountain of media proving the mentality of mellenial student's attitudes toward socialism.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    True north strong and free
    Posts
    6,441

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    LOL... This video is a speck on a mountain of media proving the mentality of mellenial student's attitudes toward socialism.
    You are so cute.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

    John777 exists to me only in quoted form.



  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    4,446

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    You are so cute.
    It's not cute, it's alarming.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    10,141

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    It's nice to see someone in your generation actually acknowledge this.
    I didn't personally raise my children this way. I had 2 stepchildren raised by the "public schools." And I had a daughter, who I home-schooled. In all cases, peer pressure and the inward tendency towards self-determination did not lead, intuitively, towards conservative Christianity. In all cases, the tendency was towards Hedonism and in favor of personal "rights." My step children never accepted Christianity until in more recent years, after having gone through some very difficult times. My daughter feels she only recently embraced Christianity after being a Christian "externally" for many years. I asked her if she wanted to read your testimony, which she did. So that may have even contributed to helping her fully convert? But she had a number of influences. I think an impending divorce has helped to wake her up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah
    I think the trend towards socialism has different causes than on moral issues. Socialist messaging works because we are seeing the abuse of capitalism in the form of wealth hoarding and inequality with our own eyes. It's ineffective to respond with, "It was better in the old days, trust me, the system works!" Meanwhile Jane and Joe can't bankrupt out of student debt after a mass layoff, whilst CEO takes a $15M bonus. Difficult argument to have on economic. On morality though it's a mixed bag - Mils/Z's are actually more conservative than our parents on issues like abortion but less so on sexual orientation. The future of America IMO is further right on personal freedoms but further left on fiscal freedom.
    I think you're spot on here, except that I've been somewhat confused about the Millennials' view on abortion. Yes, I've seen the polls against abortion rise. At the same time socialists like Cortez are pushing abortion without resistance, it seems? But we'll see in the next elections.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah
    This is an interesting thought, I'll have to chew on it. My first inclination is that our skepticism is directed more towards corporations than the government. Whereas boomers were jaded from witnessing horrible gov't practices, we (general) are jaded by witnessing horrible business practices. The negative emotions you feel when seeing the phrase "big government" is the same reaction we have to "large corporations" or "monopolies." Just thinking out-loud!
    Yes, the human reaction against an elite private group might be the same we have towards a monopoly or a dictatorship. On the other hand, there is lots of latitude being given towards the tech giants like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, etc. I think it requires age and experience to see the results of free enterprise, as opposed to the more immediate benefits of socialist programs like health care, bail outs for student loans, and welfare programs.

    But private companies need to be restrained in the same way powerful government leaders need to be restrained. A monolithic system in which all branches of government work in unison is dangerous, however. And control over the media is a pure propaganda machine. There needs to be watchdog organizations with freedom to counter balance the media, and there must be freedom for new companies and media outlets to rise and to challenge the established order.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,443

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    I simply never trust things like this video because it's been edited. That and the audio seems way too consistent between the speakers when there was no obvious mic in shot. Also, the way it was shot seems a bit suspect. I wonder if they even got permission to video those people.
    There's plenty of other videos out there where student reporters record the same kind of thing. And here's a clip from Fox News about one that runs annually:

    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,443

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Aviyah, can you provide evidence that CEO’s are raiding your personal bank account for their wealth or forcing you to pay any portion of their wages?

    You have a choice not to work for their companies or not buy their products/services.

    And if true capitalism ran pharm, prices would be what the market could bear, not what some lobbists in DC bribed the writers of the ACA to bundle in the legislation Nancy Pelosi said to vote on without reading it.
    We forget about the parable Jesus spoke about where one group got paid X for a day's work, a 2nd group got paid the same for half a days, and the 3rd group got paid the same for an hour. The first group complained about it, and God said "wait, you agreed to work for this wage". I never understood the entire income inequality argument. If I don't like my wages, I am free to work for someone else. And what do I care if Bill Gates is a billionaire? He got that rich by providing me with things I wanted.

    I would have forced him to compete and broke up his company when he became a monopoly. But as for anyone elses' income, I just don't care if they make a lot more than I do. What I care about is what I make for the labor I put forth. And of course, I care if others want to take that away from me for any reason. I much prefer to give it directly as to have it redistributed through a government that is anti-gospel.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In His Service
    Posts
    3,334

    Re: Free Everything!

    The Lord has been giving everyone of us signs that these days were coming from the day we were saved..One of the first signs we read is in Revelation chapter 13..I'm astonished when i see a sign like this from 2015 and it seemingly goes by unnoticed..

    Vatican Advisor says U.S. Declaration of Independence is Outmoded..

    Pope Francis will directly challenge the “American idea” of God-given rights in the Declaration of Independence, says Jeffrey Sachs, a top advisor to the Vatican. Sachs is also a special advisor to the United Nations and director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University.

    His remarks were published in the Jesuit Publication, America. He ridiculed the United States as “a society in thrall” to the outmoded idea of unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. He says Pope Francis will urge that “the path to happiness lies not solely or mainly through the defense of rights but through the exercise of virtues, most notably justice and charity.” Sachs and the Vatican are collaborating in a global campaign to increase the power of global organizations and movements.

    https://ktfnews.com/vatican-advisor-...e-is-outmoded/
    A time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep, the church will have clowns entertaining the goats.

    ~ Charles Spurgeon


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    42,686

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysesses View Post
    How do conservatives want to address those issues?
    They're not issues. It's a cultural shift. The millennials approve of much bigger government and everything that goes along with it- the higher tax rates, greater government intrusion and so on. Conservatives have been terrible at messaging since Reagan and aren't capable of making the argument for smaller government equating with greater freedom, and why that's even important.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    31,012
    Blog Entries
    94

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    They're not issues. It's a cultural shift. The millennials approve of much bigger government and everything that goes along with it- the higher tax rates, greater government intrusion and so on. Conservatives have been terrible at messaging since Reagan and aren't capable of making the argument for smaller government equating with greater freedom, and why that's even important.
    Concerning cultural shift... older generations worked hard to build their life and complained about how the government "took" the life they were building, away from them. Millennials are the opposite based on what I've seen, where they are working hard on avoiding any work in expectation that a life will be given to them, by the government.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  12. #42

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    They're not issues. It's a cultural shift. The millennials approve of much bigger government and everything that goes along with it- the higher tax rates, greater government intrusion and so on. Conservatives have been terrible at messaging since Reagan and aren't capable of making the argument for smaller government equating with greater freedom, and why that's even important.

    Okay, what should conservative messaging look like in order to persuade millennials/gen-z's that the issues that concern them are not issues but a cultural shift and that conservatism is actually better? write as much or little as you like, or if you have links to literature that you believe lays out effective conservative messaging, or even some of Reagan messaging that should resonate with millennials/gen-z's.
    "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right."


  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    My daughter feels she only recently embraced Christianity after being a Christian "externally" for many years. I asked her if she wanted to read your testimony, which she did. So that may have even contributed to helping her fully convert? But she had a number of influences. I think an impending divorce has helped to wake her up.
    God can mean hardships like that for good in the end, I'm glad she found Christ in the midst of it!

    I think you're spot on here, except that I've been somewhat confused about the Millennials' view on abortion. Yes, I've seen the polls against abortion rise. At the same time socialists like Cortez are pushing abortion without resistance, it seems? But we'll see in the next elections.
    It will be more clear if/when the supreme court revisits it. I think the issue is much more complex than is given credit, but DemSoc popularity seems somewhat indifferent to abortion. I could see perhaps in 20 years two socialist parties with opposing views on it, since that's basically already the case. Part of the problem is that people feel the need to support every one of their party platforms or fall in line with whatever their leader says even if they personally disagree. That's true for all sides.

    Yes, the human reaction against an elite private group might be the same we have towards a monopoly or a dictatorship. On the other hand, there is lots of latitude being given towards the tech giants like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, etc.
    Really? I see tech treated about as severely as anyone else, especially during the war over net neutrality last year. The generation gap plays a role here also, with the older ones in Congress not fully understanding them (or not caring enough to learn).

    But private companies need to be restrained in the same way powerful government leaders need to be restrained. A monolithic system in which all branches of government work in unison is dangerous, however.
    I agree, although we are heading in that direction regardless of party.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4


  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,530
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    We forget about the parable Jesus spoke about where one group got paid X for a day's work, a 2nd group got paid the same for half a days, and the 3rd group got paid the same for an hour. The first group complained about it, and God said "wait, you agreed to work for this wage". I never understood the entire income inequality argument. If I don't like my wages, I am free to work for someone else. And what do I care if Bill Gates is a billionaire? He got that rich by providing me with things I wanted.

    I would have forced him to compete and broke up his company when he became a monopoly. But as for anyone elses' income, I just don't care if they make a lot more than I do. What I care about is what I make for the labor I put forth. And of course, I care if others want to take that away from me for any reason. I much prefer to give it directly as to have it redistributed through a government that is anti-gospel.
    Yeah, I never understood it either. I’ve agreed to work for anything from $3.25/hour to 6 figures. That was my choice. The market is so open right now that most responsible people can negotiate the value of their labor/skills to the extent their contribution can actually sustain their employer’s company.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,530
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysesses View Post
    Okay, what should conservative messaging look like in order to persuade millennials/gen-z's that the issues that concern them are not issues but a cultural shift and that conservatism is actually better? write as much or little as you like, or if you have links to literature that you believe lays out effective conservative messaging, or even some of Reagan messaging that should resonate with millennials/gen-z's.
    The messaging should be simple:

    “You are entitled to the right to life and the freedom to pursue your own destiny.”

    ****end of entitlements***

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 131
    Last Post: Mar 9th 2017, 11:37 PM
  2. Discussion Free to choose, free to believe?
    By zoonswoggle in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan 1st 2013, 04:39 AM
  3. What do you think about Free Will?
    By Radagast in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Dec 23rd 2012, 03:34 AM
  4. Free Will
    By Joe King in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jul 24th 2008, 03:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •