Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 173

Thread: Free Everything!

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: Free Everything!

    I believe the world has twisted the following scripture, to try and make people want it.

    We all know people will twist scripture.


    The Believers Share Their Possessions

    Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.
    33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all
    34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales
    35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

    36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”),
    37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.


    If we continue to the dictionary meaning of socialism, we find the community owns and operates this.

    I find it amazing how people can change things for there greed.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

    I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

    Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
    Matt 25:46

    For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
    and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    1 Tim 6:10

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,908
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Of course without competition the insurance rates doubled, then tripled, and quadrupled.
    We've see the same sort of scenarios play out across the country where insurance is concerned. I don't blame the insurance companies. They're just doing what our elected officials let them get away with ...after they've been well paid off in one form or another of course.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Protective Angel View Post
    I believe the world has twisted the following scripture, to try and make people want it.

    We all know people will twist scripture.


    The Believers Share Their Possessions

    Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.
    33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all
    34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales
    35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

    36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”),
    37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.


    If we continue to the dictionary meaning of socialism, we find the community owns and operates this.

    I find it amazing how people can change things for there greed.
    Hi PA. This is an excellent scripture to pull up. It is about family. Covenant. No where in this passage do we find that anyone gave first to government, then government gave it back. Nor do we find where government owned anything. What we find, is that within the church, all people shared with each other. And each person got to determine how much they shared as they purposed in their heart.

    Notice that they gave it to the apostles to be distributed. They didn't give it to government. It was shared within the family/church/covenant body.

    This isn't about socialism through government. It is however, about how things work within family, within the church. Or at least about how it should work within the church/family.

    The church has a purpose and the government has a purpose. We should not confuse the two nor should we have government infringe upon the church's biblical directives nor the church upon the government's biblical directives.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    I don't see it prioritized as with liberal parties, especially on the climate. For example I've not really heard a spokesperson or leader say, "Let's address climate change and here's the steps we will take as conservatives," and there's definitely not a conversation about the issue happening on that side compared to the left.
    Of course, there's also the other side. Only one party is protecting us from the climate change folks and their bad science.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Bookshelf
    Posts
    6,775
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Free Everything!

    Thanks for the reply Mark, that's a lot to digest!

    I'll try to get back to you tomorrow Lord willing.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Protective Angel View Post
    I believe the world has twisted the following scripture, to try and make people want it.

    We all know people will twist scripture.


    The Believers Share Their Possessions

    Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.
    33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all
    34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales
    35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

    36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”),
    37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.


    If we continue to the dictionary meaning of socialism, we find the community owns and operates this.

    I find it amazing how people can change things for there greed.
    Exactly. What part of a LIKE MINDED community who VOLUNTARILY as individuals pool their resources is socialism? I’d like to hear that. No one had their resources confiscated by a central secular government that institutionalized depravity with a gun to their head.

    In fact Peter was clear to Ananias that his property was His to do with what he wanted.

    But we shouldn’t really expect Biblical truth from depraved minds.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Of course, there's also the other side. Only one party is protecting us from the climate change folks and their bad science.
    It’s interesting how progressives mock us with climate change science yet deny scientific fact that a fetus is a human being.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    13,908
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    It’s interesting how progressives mock us with climate change science yet deny scientific fact that a fetus is a human being.
    That's because they don't actually care about facts and reality. Whatever they can use and abuse to advance their ideology is fair game.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Exactly. What part of a LIKE MINDED community who VOLUNTARILY as individuals pool their resources is socialism? I’d like to hear that. No one had their resources confiscated by a central secular government that institutionalized depravity with a gun to their head.

    In fact Peter was clear to Ananias that his property was His to do with what he wanted.

    But we shouldn’t really expect Biblical truth from depraved minds.
    There's a big difference in covenant people having all things in common and a nation doing the same. Even in Acts, it was just the church. Not a nation, and not a government. Families units have thrived under "socialism" for generations. But that's different than government enforced socialism.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    There's a big difference in covenant people having all things in common and a nation doing the same. Even in Acts, it was just the church. Not a nation, and not a government. Families units have thrived under "socialism" for generations. But that's different than government enforced socialism.
    The two aren’t even comparable

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Bookshelf
    Posts
    6,775
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Percentage generated is literal dollars. And I still am not sure what you are getting at.
    Increasing company profits are not finding their way to the workers who are financially unstable. They take home a lesser percentage of their fruits, despite it perhaps being the same amount. IOW, a worker's higher productivity does not translate to earnings, which nets a worse situation given increasing costs of living.

    A laborer is worthy of his hire is what the scriptures would say.
    Scripture also says not to oppress the hired hand, and not to withhold food from the ox as he treads the mill. Firing people living by paycheck, not out of necessity for the company, but because you want to live in further excess is not moral.

    Capitalism
    3. Minimal government involvement
    I assume preventing/dismantling monopolies falls under this, despite being somewhat restrictive to the free enterprise of Microsofts and Comcasts?

    5. Technological advancement:
    [...] Peak demand is more likely [...] We will move on from fossil fuels long before we run out of fossil fuels.
    But the effects of using fossil fuels will (and currently) also impact society before we will run out. So I would not say that capitalism is "supportive" of technological advancement, perhaps only indifferent to it. If profit is the ultimate goal, then this system will use "stones" as long as it is profitable, no matter how severely people are harmed. I don't see a method for protecting the community on this without government intervention of some kind, at the very least providing financial incentivizes for clean energy. Just activism, maybe?

    But oppression is not something that should be allowed. Antitrust laws came into existence because of oppression.
    I would use a similar train of thought when dealing with oppression within companies as well as between them.

    It is not capitalism to allow the community to pay the cost of doing business [...] Pure capitalism means the business owners/investers bear the cost. [...] It is NOT goverments mandate to solve social issues.
    Who would enforce this if not the government? I don't believe government has any mandate from Romans 13. As it says, all authority comes from God (applies to China equally to the US). Or do you get this philosophy from somewhere else also?
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

  12. #132

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Increasing company profits are not finding their way to the workers who are financially unstable.

    Actually, this is not true. In purchasing power terms, US wages have been steady since the 1960s. See here.

    However, rates of corporate profit in the US have dropped. See here.

  13. #133

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post

    However, rates of corporate profit in the US have dropped. See here.
    Do you have any context for this graph, like was there a paper surrounding it, if so I’d like to read it if you have it.
    "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right."


  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Bookshelf
    Posts
    6,775
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Actually, this is not true. In purchasing power terms, US wages have been steady since the 1960s. See here.

    However, rates of corporate profit in the US have dropped. See here.
    NYT compared both's share from the GDP according to BEA stats: Source 2018, "Since the century’s start, labor’s share of the nation’s income has sunk to the lowest levels in decades. In 2000, when the jobless rate last fell below 4 percent, corporations pulled in 8.3 percent of the nation’s total income in the form of profits; wages and salaries across the entire work force accounted for roughly 66 percent. Now, the jobless rate is again fluttering below 4 percent. But corporate profits account for 13.2 percent of the nation’s income. Workers’ compensation has fallen to 62 percent. If workers’ share had not shrunk, they would have had an additional $532 billion, or about $3,400 each [...]"

    And on the same topic from 2014: Source, "Corporate profits are at their highest level in at least 85 years. Employee compensation is at the lowest level in 65 years [...]"
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

  15. #135

    Re: Free Everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    However, rates of corporate profit in the US have dropped. See here.
    well okay actually there was an article containing that image, here https://thenextrecession.wordpress.c...rofit-in-2017/

    I cant say that i've really dug into this but the profitability measures seem to be derived using Marx's law of profitability (yes that marx) or some permutation of it, not that that disqualifies the conclusions automatically but it is heterodox economics whereby profitability is calculated in a manner that is counter to mainstream methods.The article itself contains no detailed methodology but there is this paper linked in the article which does at least contain some methodology and appears to be written by an actual economics professor at the university of Massachusetts. Anyway seems interesting enough see what these folks are talking about.
    "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right."


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 131
    Last Post: Mar 9th 2017, 11:37 PM
  2. Discussion Free to choose, free to believe?
    By zoonswoggle in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan 1st 2013, 04:39 AM
  3. What do you think about Free Will?
    By Radagast in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Dec 23rd 2012, 03:34 AM
  4. Free Will
    By Joe King in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jul 24th 2008, 03:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •