Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Satan really the god of this world?

Re: Is Satan really the god of this world?

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    I've always taken 'god of this world has blinded' as follows....

Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
    Yea most modern commentaries will make that connection. But on my opinion itís not a strong connection, especially in comparison to the argument that can be made for Yahuwah the Most High being the subject of 2 corinthians 4:4. Have you read through the list of scripture I provided showing that Yahuwah is the one that blinded Israel? And again he did not cause their unbelief , but because of their unbelief he blinded them from seeing the mysteries of the kingdom (as can be proven through a lot of scripture).

Cool Re: Is Satan really the god of this world?

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    I've always taken 'god of this world has blinded' as follows....

Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Amen Noeb, this is the same god of 2 Cor. 4:4. Satan is the god of this world system. He runs things by influencing man with powerful thoughts that he transmits through the air. Most men don't even know where those thoughts originate, but they play well to their flesh. Those fiery darts are enough to make him god of the world system. But our heavenly Father is reigning supreme, and the devils know that and tremble (James 2:19). God had given mankind dominion (Gen. 1:28) so he is letting things play out right now before He intervenes to save us from ourselves.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post

Amen Noeb, this is the same god of 2 Cor. 4:4. Satan is the god of this world system. He runs things by influencing man with powerful thoughts that he transmits through the air. Most men don't even know where those thoughts originate, but they play well to their flesh. Those fiery darts are enough to make him god of the world system. But our heavenly Father is reigning supreme, and the devils know that and tremble (James 2:19). God had given mankind dominion (Gen. 1:28) so he is letting things play out right now before He intervenes to save us from ourselves.
    The thing is, he ALREADY intervened 2000 years ago when the Word put on flesh and reconciled us to the Father, when he bound the strong man and spoiled his goods, when he gave believers power over the enemy, when he defeated death and rose from the grave. All authority in heaven and earth was given to the Son. Satan is a defeated foe Seeking whom he may devour, knowing he has a short time. Yahuwah is the king of the ages as 1 Timothy 1:17 says, and rules over all the kingdoms of the earth as the prophets said. Satan wishes he was the thoes of this age, but that title is much too lofty for that olí Serpent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Proclaiming_Yahuwshuwa View Post
    The thing is, he ALREADY intervened 2000 years ago when the Word put on flesh and reconciled us to the Father, when he bound the strong man and spoiled his goods, when he gave believers power over the enemy, when he defeated death and rose from the grave. All authority in heaven and earth was given to the Son. Satan is a defeated foe Seeking whom he may devour, knowing he has a short time. Yahuwah is the king of the ages as 1 Timothy 1:17 says, and rules over all the kingdoms of the earth as the prophets said. Satan wishes he was the thoes of this age, but that title is much too lofty for that olí Serpent.
    Amen and amen. . ..
    ďAĒ cannot be ďAĒ & not ďAĒ at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

If you place a lot of stock in the early church, as much as I do, then you will definitely agree with this interpretation. I prove in the video that this was the predominate view for the first 15 centuries until John Calvin popularized the Satan interpretation.
    Let me know what you think about the video if you ever get the chance to see it thank you would appreciate your feedback.
    Sorry, I was watching it today--you seem like an interesting person, but I fell asleep. For the arguments I gave on your behalf above, I remain interested. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. I'll revisit this later, but am interested in how others react...

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Sorry, I was watching it today--you seem like an interesting person, but I fell asleep. For the arguments I gave on your behalf above, I remain interested. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. I'll revisit this later, but am interested in how others react...
    Hopefully it wasnít my presentation that put you to sleep lol and yea I already expected to get some resistance when I posted this because I know We have been indoctrinated by the Satan interpretation from preachers and bias translations. But surprisingly Iím getting a few people with open minds to hear me out.
    Iíve been studying the early church for years so you and I probably have a lot in common in our doctrines.

Cool Re: Is Satan really the god of this world?

You must be an amillennial proponent. They believe Satan is already bound but believe he not not bound yet. I do not ascribe to Satan having that much power but prophecy tells us we are headed into a tribulation that will exterminate all life unless God intervenes to stop it. Satan was surely defeated on the cross about his accusation no man could walk sinlessly. Jesus accomplished that and shut Satan's mouth.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    You must be an amillennial proponent. They believe Satan is already bound but believe he not not bound yet. I do not ascribe to Satan having that much power but prophecy tells us we are headed into a tribulation that will exterminate all life unless God intervenes to stop it. Satan was surely defeated on the cross about his accusation no man could walk sinlessly. Jesus accomplished that and shut Satan's mouth.
    No im definitely not an amillennialist, I strive to line my self up with the early church and they were pre-millennial. You donít believe Yahuwshuwa bound Satan and spoiled his goods? Do I need to show you scripture?and he did way more than just ďshut his mouthĒ I donít think you understand what was accomplished on the cross .

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    This happened pre-cross tho....
    The how are we to interpret this..

Revelation 13:2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
    A man is in a great place when he has no one to turn to but God.

~ Smith Wigglesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    The how are we to interpret this..

Revelation 13:2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
    Do you understand who the dragon is? What do his heads, crowns, and horns represent? Then you will understand what 13:2 is saying.

Blog Entries

Hello all May grace and shaluwm be upon you in the name of Yahuwshuwa our Savior.
    I know that the predominate interpretation of 2 Corinthians 4:4 is speaking of Satan, but after studying it in depth I have a problem with that interpretation.
    Same here. This is something I put together years ago and also posted it at Bfs as well.

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

So who was it that "blinded the minds of them which believe not"?

It was God.

Joh 12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
    Joh 12:39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
    Joh 12:40 He (God) hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

The HE here is God and this is very similar language. God blinded them so they could not convert and be healed! Isn't that what the other verse is saying? Also note that in both scriptures the people being blinded didn't believe prior to the blinding:

"blinded the minds of them which believe not"
    "Therefore they could not believe" "He (God) hath blinded their eyes"

Same God doing the blinding and same people being blinded.

Romans 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh
    for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
    Romans 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the
    spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear) unto this day.

Some will say it's a little "g" on god so that means its not God. Not so. There are no capitals in the manuscripts. The small g is purely the translators opinion. It is not fact nor is it done because of any small letter in the manuscripts.

While Satan can be considered a false god of this world, he simply isn't the one being spoken of because it is God which blinds so people cannot convert to Christ and be healed.

I have removed capitals because they don't exist in the manuscripts and I don't want the concept of capitals interfering with understanding what is being said or providing a bias. I also removed the verse numbers so it can be read naturally as Paul intended.

2Co 3:11 through 2Co 4:15

for if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
    seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
    and not as moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
    but their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in christ.
    but even unto this day, when moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

*God blinded these people and even today that blindness remains.

nevertheless when it shall turn to the lord, the vail shall be taken away.
    now the lord is that spirit: and where the spirit of the lord is, there is liberty.
    but we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the spirit of the lord.
    therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
    but have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of god deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of god.
    but if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

*Context matters and the context here is regarding God blinding Israel. Was Israel lost? Was the Gospel hidden from them? Yes. Jer_50:6 "My people hath been lost sheep" . Who the lost are here, the ones that the gospel is hidden from is all here in this letter. Israel.

in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of christ, who is the image of god, should shine unto them.

*Keeping context sound, there has been no abrupt change inserting satan into this dialogue. The subject is Israel, the ones who are lost, the ones God blinded, and the ones the Gospel was hidden from. "god" here is the same "god" Paul has been speaking of and the ones being blinded by this "god" are the same ones Paul just mentioned literally a handful of sentences before! Israel.

for we preach not ourselves, but christ jesus the lord; and ourselves your servants for jesus' sake.
    for god, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of god in the face of jesus christ.

*Contexually this is the SAME GOD as the one above, " the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not".

but we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of god, and not of us.
    we are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
    persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
    always bearing about in the body the dying of the lord jesus, that the life also of jesus might be made manifest in our body.

for we which live are alway delivered unto death for jesus' sake, that the life also of jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
    so then death worketh in us, but life in you.
    we having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, i believed, and therefore have i spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
    knowing that he which raised up the lord jesus shall raise up us also by jesus, and shall present us with you.
    for all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of god.

*same God being spoken of, same people blinded.

Guess what? This is the same thing Paul mentioned in the book of Romans earlier:

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

And that came from something Christ spoke of:

Joh 12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?

Who hath believed their report? Not Israel, who was blinded. Not Israel, because that report was the Gospel and it was hidden from them, 2Co_3:14 and 2Co_4:3-4

They could not believe because God blinded them and hid the Gospel from them.

Joh 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

He blinded their eyes and hardened their heart. Why? So they could not see nor understand and be converted and healed by God.

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
    1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
    1Pe 2:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
    1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Why blind them to keep them from being healed and finding that glorious light of Christ? It wasn't time for that yet.

What John 12:40 says is the same thing that 2 Corinthians 4:4 says:

God "hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

God "hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them."

1. "hath blinded the minds of them which believe not"
    1. "hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart"

2. "lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ" "should shine unto them"
    2. "they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted" nor healed.

Having your eyes "blinded" and your heart "hardened" is the same thing as having your "mind" blinded.

"converting and being healed" is the same thing as receiving "the light of the glorious gospel of Christ".

I do not believe the verse is speaking about Satan being the God of this world. Satan is called the Prince of the world (not a God and not a King) but not the God of it. Certainly much of the world worships Satan in one form or another but in order to know whom is being spoken of we simply have to use the context:

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

It was God.

John 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

The HE here is God and this is very similar language. God blinded them so they could not convert and be healed! Isn't that what the other verse is saying?

spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear) unto this day.

Some will say it's a little "g" on god so that means its not God. Not so. There are no capitals in the manuscripts. The small g is purely the translators opinion. It is not fact nor is it done because of any small letter in the manuscripts.

While Satan can be considered a false god of this world, he simply isn't the one being spoken of because it is God which blinds so people cannot convert to Christ and be healed.
    There are no capitals in the manuscripts.

Gen_24:3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

Isa_54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Revelation 11:4 these are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the god of the earth.

Is this Satan because because it is believed that saying "god of something" rather than just "god" means that it isn't the one true God? If Satan is the supposed "god of this world" then he must also be the "god of the earth" right?

Remember, there are no capitals in the manuscripts. god and God are spelled exactly the same way so we can't go by that. Naturally context matters. Naturally using other scriptures to help us understand scriptures matter. Forget tradition, forget what has been assumed for generations and look dispassionately as all the evidence and decide who is doing the blinding in the world.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    Same here. This is something I put together years ago and also posted it at Bfs as well.

It was God.

Joh 12:40 He (God) hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

The HE here is God and this is very similar language. God blinded them so they could not convert and be healed! Isn't that what the other verse is saying? Also note that in both scriptures the people being blinded didn't believe prior to the blinding:

"blinded the minds of them which believe not"
    "Therefore they could not believe" "He (God) hath blinded their eyes"

Same God doing the blinding and same people being blinded.

I have removed capitals because they don't exist in the manuscripts and I don't want the concept of capitals interfering with understanding what is being said or providing a bias. I also removed the verse numbers so it can be read naturally as Paul intended.

2Co 3:11 through 2Co 4:15

for if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
    seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
    and not as moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
    but their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in christ.
    but even unto this day, when moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

*God blinded these people and even today that blindness remains.

nevertheless when it shall turn to the lord, the vail shall be taken away.
    now the lord is that spirit: and where the spirit of the lord is, there is liberty.
    but we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the spirit of the lord.
    therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
    but have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of god deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of god.
    but if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

*Context matters and the context here is regarding God blinding Israel. Was Israel lost? Was the Gospel hidden from them? Yes. Jer_50:6 "My people hath been lost sheep" . Who the lost are here, the ones that the gospel is hidden from is all here in this letter. Israel.

in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of christ, who is the image of god, should shine unto them.

*Keeping context sound, there has been no abrupt change inserting satan into this dialogue. The subject is Israel, the ones who are lost, the ones God blinded, and the ones the Gospel was hidden from. "god" here is the same "god" Paul has been speaking of and the ones being blinded by this "god" are the same ones Paul just mentioned literally a handful of sentences before! Israel.

for we preach not ourselves, but christ jesus the lord; and ourselves your servants for jesus' sake.
    for god, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of god in the face of jesus christ.

*Contexually this is the SAME GOD as the one above, " the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not".

but we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of god, and not of us.
    we are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
    persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
    always bearing about in the body the dying of the lord jesus, that the life also of jesus might be made manifest in our body.

for we which live are alway delivered unto death for jesus' sake, that the life also of jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
    so then death worketh in us, but life in you.
    we having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, i believed, and therefore have i spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
    knowing that he which raised up the lord jesus shall raise up us also by jesus, and shall present us with you.
    for all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of god.

*same God being spoken of, same people blinded.

Guess what? This is the same thing Paul mentioned in the book of Romans earlier:

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

And that came from something Christ spoke of:

Who hath believed their report? Not Israel, who was blinded. Not Israel, because that report was the Gospel and it was hidden from them, 2Co_3:14 and 2Co_4:3-4

They could not believe because God blinded them and hid the Gospel from them.

Joh 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

He blinded their eyes and hardened their heart. Why? So they could not see nor understand and be converted and healed by God.

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
    1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
    1Pe 2:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
    1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Why blind them to keep them from being healed and finding that glorious light of Christ? It wasn't time for that yet.

What John 12:40 says is the same thing that 2 Corinthians 4:4 says:

God "hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

God "hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them."

1. "hath blinded the minds of them which believe not"
    1. "hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart"

2. "lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ" "should shine unto them"
    2. "they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted" nor healed.

Having your eyes "blinded" and your heart "hardened" is the same thing as having your "mind" blinded.

"converting and being healed" is the same thing as receiving "the light of the glorious gospel of Christ".

I do not believe the verse is speaking about Satan being the God of this world. Satan is called the Prince of the world (not a God and not a King) but not the God of it. Certainly much of the world worships Satan in one form or another but in order to know whom is being spoken of we simply have to use the context:

It was God.

John 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

The HE here is God and this is very similar language. God blinded them so they could not convert and be healed! Isn't that what the other verse is saying?

There are no capitals in the manuscripts.

Gen_24:3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

Isa_54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Revelation 11:4 these are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the god of the earth.

Is this Satan because because it is believed that saying "god of something" rather than just "god" means that it isn't the one true God? If Satan is the supposed "god of this world" then he must also be the "god of the earth" right?

Remember, there are no capitals in the manuscripts. god and God are spelled exactly the same way so we can't go by that. Naturally context matters. Naturally using other scriptures to help us understand scriptures matter. Forget tradition, forget what has been assumed for generations and look dispassionately as all the evidence and decide who is doing the blinding in the world.
    Well done, very beautifully explained. Much better than my explanations. Thank you for sharing that I enjoyed reading it

Blog Entries

Well done, very beautifully explained. Much better than my explanations. Thank you for sharing that I enjoyed reading it
    I enjoyed reading yours as well. I have been a lone voice on this matter until you posted. I thank God for that.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Blog Entries

Sounds like you just want to argue, Sion doesnít mean age? Well thatís the predominate choice among scholars, you knew what I meant by age but you seem to always have to know better than the next person.
    Well then it's my mistake, I thought this was a Bible discussion forum, silly me... It is BTW aion, not sion...

Your long arguement is based off emotion, the argument that ďGod would ever do something like that, he doesnít blind peopleĒ, but that logic doesnít line up with scripture nor the way the early church saw it.
    I suggest you read the book of Romans it refuted your doctrine:
    Which is an old argument of those who are cornered, just say a whole book refutes something, it doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

[...]

I'm not sure why you're quoting Romans here, we were talking about aions (or olamim in Hebrew) and you quote this? Well thank you for your time.

Aristarkos

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    I enjoyed reading yours as well. I have been a lone voice on this matter until you posted. I thank God for that.
    Thank you, have you checked out my video yet? Would love to hear your feedback

Thread Information