Thread: United Methodist denom stands strong .....

United Methodist denom stands strong .....

Well they have voted to keep to traditional values in the church. For now anyway.

Methodist vote.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Blog Entries

Re: United Methodist denom stands strong .....

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    Well they have voted to keep to traditional values in the church. For now anyway.

Methodist vote.
    Well that’s one way to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Blog Entries

It looks like this was mostly to do with the votes from African and Asian churches which are extremely traditional. I wonder if the Americans will split with them over this in the future...
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Maybe .... I can see this happening.

I found it interesting that most of interviews of delegates after the vote were of those who were disappointed in the vote. I only remember see one interview for someone in favor ... and he was a delegate from Africa.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    Maybe .... I can see this happening.

I found it interesting that most of interviews of delegates after the vote were of those who were disappointed in the vote. I only remember see one interview for someone in favor ... and he was a delegate from Africa.
    Also the news-media likely cherry-picked the type of responses their platform wanted to be sympathetic to.

It is amazing to me that a vote like this is even necessary. And how can a SS couple even be comfortable in a church that teaches the scriptures?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    It is amazing to me that a vote like this is even necessary.
    Strong leaders would not even allow something like this to go to a vote. So all I see is weakness in the leadership for this denomination.

And how can a SS couple even be comfortable in a church that teaches the scriptures?
    Weak leaders teach weakly, so sure... sinners would not be convicted. The Holy Spirit needs teaching to be firm (strong) to the scriptures for Him to work conviction through any teaching/exhorting of scripture.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

May I add... if any denomination has a "Sanctity of Marriage" between a man and a woman in their tenets (Doctrinal Commitments, Statement of Faith, etc)... then the leadership should disciple as such and never allow challenge to scripture.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

I grew up in the Methodist Church and even when I was a boy back in the '70s it was about as liberal as it could get. Basically you could do what you wanted as long as you didn't rock the boat or raise unpleasant questions of doctrine. I believe their slogan nowadays is "making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world." I was surprised the vote went the way it did but I'm glad. The leadership of the denomination won't just drop it; they'll keep pushing till they get their way or it causes a split.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I grew up in the Methodist Church and even when I was a boy back in the '70s it was about as liberal as it could get.
    True, but outside the US, Methodists are quite conservative. And, for the moment, they are all part of one big denomination.

That's true Radagast

Thread Information