Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the "Abomination of Desolation"?

Re: What is the "Abomination of Desolation"?

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    So when Daniel wrote about the “abomination of desolation,” the sanctuary in Jerusalem had just been destroyed with the entire city and even the wall of the city were demolished, the place was left desolate. So he understood what the desolation connected to the abomination entailed. After their release from Babylonian captivity and rebuilding the city and temple, the Jewish leaders erected a mountain of rules and regulations. The Jews reasoned that since it was transgression of the law that led to their captivity, especially in their worship such as the Sabbath they needed to define in minute detail how the Sabbath should be kept. This was resulted in the clash with Jesus over the disciples eating some grain..
    "1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
    2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
    3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;" Matthew 12:1-3.

Over 500 rules concerning the Sabbath were set up not from God or His word, some of these were as ridiculous as one could not leave an egg in the sun on the Sabbath because the sun might cook it, and the number of steps you could take on it. To say the least, this only resulted in a system of absolute legalism and also the people began to believe that favor with God depended on how well they obeyed the traditions of their elders.

Now when Jesus issued His warning to the disciples about again happening “the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet,” the Jewish leaders, were through the traditions of man setting aside the commands, again making abomination of Gods true worship.
    And Christiandom has done the exact same thing by perverting the grace of God. The temple is the church collectively and antichrist has permeated it.

Read what Jesus says:

"36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
    37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
    39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord." Matthew 23:36-39

Notice He says "All these things shall come upon this generation....your house is left unto you desolate." It is repeated but with more in Luke 13:

"32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
    33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
    34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" Luke 13:32-34.

Now at the time of Daniel we see that Jerusalem was told of their "abomination" and warned of the consequences. We read before the destruction of Solomon's first temple the Jews had been given a warning by Ezekiel:

"Thus saith the Lord GOD; This is Jerusalem: I have set it in the midst of the nations and countries that are round about her.6 And she hath changed my judgments into wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the countries that are round about her: for they have refused my judgments and my statutes, they have not walked in them.7 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye multiplied more than the nations that are round about you, and have not walked in my statutes, neither have kept my judgments, neither have done according to the judgments of the nations that are round about you;8 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, am against thee, and will execute judgments in the midst of thee in the sight of the nations.9 And I will do in thee that which I have not done, and whereunto I will not do any more the like, because of all thine abominations.” Ezekiel 5:5-9 (KJV)

“11 Wherefore, as I live, saith the Lord God; Surely, because thou hast defiled my sanctuary with all thy detestable things, and with all thine abominations, therefore will I also diminish thee; neither shall mine eye spare, neither will I have any pity.” Ezekiel 5:11 (KJV)

Now further on in Ezekiel in Chapter 6, he prophesize the results of the abomination and in Chapter 8, laid out what it:

"5 Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.6 He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.7 And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall.8 Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door.9 And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.10 So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.11 And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up.12 Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, the Lord seeth us not; the Lord hath forsaken the earth.13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.16 And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.18 Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them." Ezekiel 8:5-18 (KJV)

It was the "abominations which they commit here" in the worship which even extended to worship in the Temple. The desolation of the 'abomination' of worship is found in straightforward in Daniel 1. "In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and beseiged it. And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god" (Daniel 1:1,2).

Here Daniel reveals the abomination of desolation in his time led to Jerusalem's fall and captivity, and it even says not only the king of the land:

"5 Jehoiakim was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord his God.
    6 Against him came up Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and bound him in fetters, to carry him to Babylon.
    7 Nebuchadnezzar also carried of the vessels of the house of the Lord to Babylon, and put them in his temple at Babylon.
    8 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and his abominations which he did, and that which was found in him, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.

Notice Jehoiakim “did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord his God.": "Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and his abominations which he did, and that which was found in him, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah:".

But it wasn't just a misstep by one person but by the religious leaders and the people:

"14 Moreover all the chief of the priests, and the people, transgressed very much after all the abominations of the heathen; and polluted the house of the Lord which he had hallowed in Jerusalem. 2 Chronicles 36:14.

Notice, "moreover all the chief of the priests, and the people, transgressed very much after all the abominations of the heathen".

God's political and religious leaders, as well as the people, adopted heathen ways as their own and away from God and true worship at the expense of God's revealed truth. Notice the people "transgressed" abominations that were standing in God's consecrated holy place, the "house of the Lord."

The religious leaders of the day had knowingly led the people to adopt heathen worship practices and incorporated them into their worship of God and it was happening again at the time of Jesus. Notice He called them out on it:

"But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." Matthew 15:9

"Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." Mark 7:7.

Notice Jesus clearly says its about worship and He was talking to the religious leaders and making clear they again had led the people to adopt heathen worship practices and incorporated them into their worship of God. In substituting for God's commandments the traditions of men, the leaders of God's people provoked the desolation at the time of Daniels and did it in Jesus time.
    No doubt that Israel did worse than the heathen, for the heathen did not change their gods, but Israel gave up the Living God for dead idols (Jer.2:11). No doubt that Israel committed abominations. But Daniel spoke of a specific time and a specific event. The term "Abomination of Desolation" basically occurs four times - In (i) Daniel 9:27, (ii) Daniel 12:11, (iii) Matthew 24:15 and (iv) Mark 13:14. In each case the concept, or combination of "Abomination of Desolation" is:
    1. Connected with the last event of the last half of the last seven year period set for Israel's recovery (Dan.9.27)
    2. Connected with "the time of the end" (Dan.12:9) and 1260 days or 3˝ years
    3. Connected with the "end" of the age of the gospel being preached to all nations (Matt.24:14)
    4. Connected with the "end" of the time of the gospel being preached to all nations and the beginning of the Great Tribulation (Mk.13:10-14)

What Daniel spoke of is not the general gory history of Israel and idol worship, but a one-off, specific event that starts the Great Tribulation at the "time of the end of the age of the gospel"

The words "this generation" has caused much heartache among Bible scholars. How shall we understand it. 2nd Peter 1:20 gives a hint; "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." We are thus forbidden to propose our own ideads in matters of God's Word. How then are we to deal with obscure passages then? The answer is that we must see how scripture uses the matter in other place. For instance, the Olive Tree of Romans Chapter 11 is one of the most misused Parables. We cannot just say it is the Church, or that it is Israel. We have to study the ALL trees that are in Parable and then come to a conclusion. And the answer is not long in coming. In every case of a Tree in Parable in the Bible, a Tree is a king and his kingdom (Judges 9, Ezekiel 31, Daniel 4). This immediately clears up all the mystery of the Olive Tree.

Likewise, to understand a "generation" we must turn to how the Bible uses this word. And our studies will turn up two facts;
    1. The word "generation" is primarily used to denote WHAT WAS GENERATED. Its first mention concerning men is in Genesis Chapter 5. From verse 1 it shows a terrible tragedy. In Genesis 1:11-12 God set forth an immutable Law. Everything with its seed in itself would produce the same kind. Dogs would have puppies, apples would bring forth an apple tree and a fox and a dog cannot bring forth offspring for they are two different species. Now, Adam was made in the image and likeness of God (Gen.1:26-28). So when Adam "generated" he should have brought forth an offspring "in the image and likeness of God". But he didn't! Seth is NOT in the image and likeness of God but "in the image and likeness of Adam! Why? Because sin had taken its ghastly way in Adam and "corrupted" his seed. Seth was generated by Adam and he was exactly like Adam - fallen (Rom.5:12, 15; 1st Cor.15:22). And this rule follows the word "generation" through the Bible. When our Lord calls the Pharisees a "generation of vipers" He means that they were "generated with a serpentine nature. The Serpent was their father in nature.
    2. The word "generation" can also be used to denote the time it takes to "generate" the next "generation", e.g. Genesis 15:16. In this case it was 100 years (Gen.15:13). But in this case, no two "generations" are ever the same. In Seth's case, Adam took 130 years to "generate" him, and this "generation" lived 912 years.

The problem with applying point #2 is that by the time our Lord was predicting the future events we discuss, Psalm 90 gives the time of a man's life as 70. But this does not help the matter at all because our Lord Jesus did not give the starting point. If He was alluding to a TIME it took for one to be "generated" and then die, we can never calculate it because "THIS GENERATION" must include babies of Jerusalem and old men of 68. For a clear understanding of "this generation" we must use it like the majority of the Bible uses it - that is, a "generation" is WHAT is GENERATED. Let us run through the "generation" of Matthew alone, and even then, not all of them. In
    • Matthew 1:1 What was generated? A King, and a Son of the man to whom the promise of inheriting the earth was made by God, Abraham
    • Matthew 3:7 What was generated? Snakes! One snake generated the same kind - more snakes
    • Matthew 12:34 Again, Serpents "generate" Serpents
    • Matthew 12:39 The "generation" is not a TIME. It is a NATURE - "evil and adulterous"
    • Matthew 16:4 Again, it is the NATURE of what is generated - not a time

Let us now more closely examine Matthew 23:30-36.
    30 "And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
    31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
    32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
    33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
    34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
    35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
    36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation."

Our Lord starts in verse 30 with the "fathers" of this generation - fathers who killed the prophets".
    Our Lord goes on in verse 31 to show these Jews to be "children" of the murderers
    In verse 32, based on Genesis 1:11-12 the murderer "fathers" will "generate" murderers. So our Lord says "complete this serpentine work"
    In verse 33 the Lord says who the fathers were and who the "children" are - SERPENTS.
    In verse 34 history proved Him right. These Israelites killed Christians who God sent
    In verse 35 we reach the crux of the matter. This SERPENTINE GENERATION, which "generated" SERPENTS, GOES RIGHT BACK TO CAIN. "THIS GENERATION" is the people who were "generated" by Adam who possessed the serpentine nature. They have been "generating" since Adam. And history again helps us. To this day there is a "generation" that possesses Satan's snake-nature. It hates God's messengers, hates God's anointed One, hates God's Covenants and Law, and hates God's beautiful plan of salvation. "THIS GENERATION" is the men who were generated with the serpentine nature who WERE there to kill Abel, WERE there to kill the prophets, WERE there to murder our Lord Jesus, WERE there to kill the Apostles, and WILL be there to try to kill the Two Witnesses of Revelation 11.

It is NOT a TIME FRAME. It is PEOPLE who possess a NATURE - a serpentine nature. If we apply this meaning, all problems of our Lord's prophecy dissolve. AD 70 must not be forced into anything. What must be looked for is men who want to kill and destroy God's People and God's Work. Are they not before our eyes today? "THIS GENERATION" is the lineage and genealogy of the SERPENT! It stretches from Adam's "generation" till today.

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    You are correct. The Abomination of Desolation is the catalyst that starts the Great Tribulation. Matthew 24:21 says; "For THEN shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be." This tribulation must, according to the grammar, be worse than the flood of Noah's time. Has this happened since Noah's time? I think not.

As to what it is is not difficult. God made man to "subdue and rule the earth" (Gen.1:26-28). Through his cooperation with the Devil, and through his fall, man has plunged the world into chaos. So BOTH God and man look for a man who will solve the pain of the whole world. From the Pope, to Dalai Lama, to every new American President, people are hoping for a strong charismatic man to solve the problems of this world. Those who embrace Jesus Christ hope for His Coming. They know that He will stop unrighteousness and overcome sickness and death. Those who refuse Jesus Christ nevertheless look for the same thing. Israel especially looks for that all-powerful world leader who will guarantee their peace and freedom from persecution. Satan too looks for his man who will direct all men to worship him. WHO and WHEN will this man appear?

As the world's crisis reaches it Zenith, and Israel is threatened on all sides, a man appears on the scene. Is this Messiah for Israel and bringer of peace and righteousness to the nations? He is remarkable. He is from the dead. He possesses great power. He is charismatic. The various kings of the earth swear allegiance and give their authority to him. He promises peace and equity. He is the "replacement" Christ. Jesus, who was preached to all nations has delayed His coming. He too preaches a coming time of righteousness and equity and good life for all men. So who will the peoples of the earth choose?

What is the deciding factor? The deciding factor is, will Jerusalem accept him? Jerusalem has been the thorn of many kings. Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, Greece and Rome all found Jerusalem a thorn. It was this city of all cities that produced over a thousand and five hundred years of resistance to world leaders. In the early days of Israel's occupation of Jerusalem, Israel was invincible. It is the one city and one nation that has confounded world powers. Jerusalem is the prize. Whoever gets Jerusalem will impress Islam (1.5 billion adherents), Roman Catholicism (1.3 billion adherents), Israel (the nation everyone must admit cannot be annihilated). Whoever gets Jerusalem gets the world. Even the Popes knew this and mounted the Crusades.

So the king who sets up his throne in Jerusalem will be world leader. But he must be more than world leader. He must be like DEITY. The Jews look of "Emmanuel" - GOD with us. The Nations look for a savior with supernatural powers. The Occult based religions look for their "WORSHIPFUL Master". The rest of the world WORSHIP ancestors. So this man MUST be from the dead. He must be powerful. He must be charismatic. AND HE MUST NOT ONLY BE A SAVIOR BUT HE MUST SIT IN THE MOST HOLY PLACE OF THE ISRAELI TEMPLE - the position accorded that God who made Israel invincible.

Daniel 9:26-27 shows us that future king
    • He is a "prince" of the people who destroy Jerusalem - a Roman
    • He is FUTURE to the destruction of Jerusalem - that is, future to 70 AD
    • He is able to "strengthen" (lit. Heb.) "the" Covenant which entails a Temple and a Daily oblation. There is only one such Covenant - that of Sinai
    • He must be accepted fully by Israel to do this
    • He is so fully accepted, not only by the kings of the earth, but by Israel, that he sets his throne up in the most Holy Place of this Temple
    • He is able, for three and one half years, to command universal worship towards himself
    • He, knowing the intrinsic need of fallen men, that of IDOL-WORSHIP, sets up an image of himself in the Holy Place of the Temple in Jerusalem
    • He seems, at first, to be that promised Messiah and is worshiped by nearly all men. Men cry "peace" (1st Thess.5:3) and give honor to this man

But 1st Thessalonians 5:3 shows the dreadful reality; "For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape." Jerusalem is God's possession. Any Temple there is His House. Israel were bought and redeemed and loved and cherished. Jerusalem is the "city of the Great King". God's Son payed for all men in this city. He who usurps Jerusalem and the Temple takes on the Almighty. And he who worships an imposter Christ - an "anti-Christ", must bear the consequences. Jesus, God's Son, has been taught to all nations. But all nations have chosen the imposter-Christ. And so God's patience is over. Men have chosen a Roman. Men have worshiped him. Men have allowed this imposter to set up himself and an idol in the most Holy Place reserved for Jehovah. And so men will find out what it is to DESOLATE the Holy Place with an ABOMINATION. God's FURY is unleashed.

In the last universal judgement for evil, water covered the whole earth and all men but eight died. But now the situation on earth is so bad that men will try to die but be refused death (Rev.9:6). The trial at Noah's time was the "Great Annihilation". But now it is the "Great Tribulation". The drowned men of Noah's time went quickly and felt nothing afterwards. But now men will stay alive to suffer their agony. At Noahs's time men tampered with the "seed of the woman". Angels mixed with women and the earth was full of violence to kill off the "seed of the woman" to prevent the True Man-Messiah coming. But this time men have touched the holiness of the Almighty. They have usurped His House and His chosen people. They have bowed to worship a fallen man and his effigy in the place reserved for Jehovah. Woe unto all men left on earth at this time.

To MAKE DESOLATE God's holy place with an ABOMINATION is to provoke God at His core.
    This man...i know of such a man that fits the description..
    A man is in a great place when he has no one to turn to but God.

~ Smith Wigglesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    This man...i know of such a man that fits the description..
    Revelation 17 tells who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    A visible invading army was of llittle concern to Jesus (see that ye be not troubled Mt.24:6, And fear not them which kill the body Mt.10:28.) His warning to us is centered on spiritual deception (For many shall come in my name (Mk.13:6.)

In the midst of all the supposed calamity going on, Jesus says something very curious,

"Remember Lot's wife." Lk.16:32.

Who in their right mind would wish to return to a city on the verge of destruction, unless the destruction wasn't apparent?
    It wasn't about the armies or the Roman yoke on the Jews, but about Jesus love and compassion for others doing what He could to alleviate their suffering, we see it over and over...

"35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
    36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd" Matthew 9:35-36.

But the people had been led full circle to disobedience and abomination again and the leaders were at the forefront. We see it as Jesus comments that in spite of their apparent religiosity they were still breaking God's law even as their forefathers had during Isaiah's and Daniel's day....

"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
    7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
    8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
    9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
    10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
    11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
    12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
    13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye."Mark 7:6-13 King James Version (KJV)

Notice Jesus calls them out, "Well hath Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoreth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men... full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition... making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered". Once again the Jews found themselves immersed in vain and wrong worship that led to the abomination all the way to crucifying the Son of God.

The second temple was honored with the living presence of the Son of God in whom dwelt the fullness of the Godhead bodily, who was God Himself manifest in the flesh. With the presence of Christ, the second temple exceeded the first temple in glory. Jesus points out what will cause the desolation....

"1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
    2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
    3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
    4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
    5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
    6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
    7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.......
    13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
    14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
    15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
    16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
    17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?...........
    23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
    24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
    25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
    26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
    27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
    28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
    29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
    30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
    31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
    33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
    34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
    35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
    36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
    37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Matthew 23 (Shortened a bit)

Jesus condemned them for their abominations and one that stands out was when He cleansed the temple of the abomination they had created inside it. On these times He expressed His anger at the desecration of His holy place, and in detail He prophesized the events of the coming destruction. We see a direct connection to the coming desolation in Luke 19...

"37 And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen;
    38 Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.
    39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.
    40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
    41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,
    42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
    43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
    44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.
    45 And he went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold therein, and them that bought;
    46 Saying unto them, It is written, My house is the house of prayer: but ye have made it a den of thieves." Luke 19:37-46.

The real controversy between Jesus and the Jews was over the abomination they had made of worship, and we see what was to be the culmination of the evil which resulted, in verse 47:

"And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him," Luke 19:47

And Christiandom has done the exact same thing by perverting the grace of God. The temple is the church collectively and antichrist has permeated it.
    Yes, Christianity has allowed basically the 'Great Apostasy' we see told by Paul in 2 Thessalonians...

"3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
    4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
    5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
    6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
    7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
    8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
    9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
    10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
    11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
    12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 .

Here Paul informs the Christians of Thessalonica that a great apostasy must occur before the return of Christ, when "the Man of Sin is revealed". This started to happen when Paul was telling them at the time of the early church, and soon after, Bible scholars see the fall of the Roman Empire which allow this revealing. Jerome specifically in interpreting the "Man of Sin", declares that the Roman Empire has to come to an end for it to come and be revealed and it is in the Church. Basically the early Christian church fell away from the original faith founded by Jesus and the Apostles. The church on its own perception of authority changed the doctrines of the early church and allowed pagan mysteries, pagan festivals, sun worship and idol worship into the church. The church made changes using claims of tradition and not from scripture, not just in doctrine but in the law and worship. So see worship again like the Jews was changed, to attract and convert people to Christianity, the church allowed pagan beliefs and practices to creep within the church. So yes, as you say it has set up in the 'temple' and a antichrist power 'has permeated it. '

Revelation 17 tells who he is.
    Now you are getting the clues, its laid out so anyone can follow them, and figure it out...

3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
    4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
    5 And upon her forehead was a name written, Mystery, Babylon The Great, The Mother Of Harlots And Abominations Of The Earth.
    6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
    7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.
    8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
    9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth."

Notice again it is about worship, "full of names of blasphemy" or how its perverted, and we see again "full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication" and it gives us a clue, "The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth."

No doubt that Israel did worse than the heathen, for the heathen did not change their gods, but Israel gave up the Living God for dead idols (Jer.2:11). No doubt that Israel committed abominations. But Daniel spoke of a specific time and a specific event. The term "Abomination of Desolation" basically occurs four times - In (i) Daniel 9:27, (ii) Daniel 12:11, (iii) Matthew 24:15 and (iv) Mark 13:14. In each case the concept, or combination of "Abomination of Desolation" is:
    1. Connected with the last event of the last half of the last seven year period set for Israel's recovery (Dan.9.27)
    2. Connected with "the time of the end" (Dan.12:9) and 1260 days or 3˝ years
    3. Connected with the "end" of the age of the gospel being preached to all nations (Matt.24:14)
    4. Connected with the "end" of the time of the gospel being preached to all nations and the beginning of the Great Tribulation (Mk.13:10-14)

What Daniel spoke of is not the general gory history of Israel and idol worship, but a one-off, specific event that starts the Great Tribulation at the "time of the end of the age of the gospel"

The words "this generation" has caused much heartache among Bible scholars. How shall we understand it. 2nd Peter 1:20 gives a hint; "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." We are thus forbidden to propose our own ideads in matters of God's Word. How then are we to deal with obscure passages then? The answer is that we must see how scripture uses the matter in other place. For instance, the Olive Tree of Romans Chapter 11 is one of the most misused Parables. We cannot just say it is the Church, or that it is Israel. We have to study the ALL trees that are in Parable and then come to a conclusion. And the answer is not long in coming. In every case of a Tree in Parable in the Bible, a Tree is a king and his kingdom (Judges 9, Ezekiel 31, Daniel 4). This immediately clears up all the mystery of the Olive Tree.

Likewise, to understand a "generation" we must turn to how the Bible uses this word. And our studies will turn up two facts;
    1. The word "generation" is primarily used to denote WHAT WAS GENERATED. Its first mention concerning men is in Genesis Chapter 5. From verse 1 it shows a terrible tragedy. In Genesis 1:11-12 God set forth an immutable Law. Everything with its seed in itself would produce the same kind. Dogs would have puppies, apples would bring forth an apple tree and a fox and a dog cannot bring forth offspring for they are two different species. Now, Adam was made in the image and likeness of God (Gen.1:26-28). So when Adam "generated" he should have brought forth an offspring "in the image and likeness of God". But he didn't! Seth is NOT in the image and likeness of God but "in the image and likeness of Adam! Why? Because sin had taken its ghastly way in Adam and "corrupted" his seed. Seth was generated by Adam and he was exactly like Adam - fallen (Rom.5:12, 15; 1st Cor.15:22). And this rule follows the word "generation" through the Bible. When our Lord calls the Pharisees a "generation of vipers" He means that they were "generated with a serpentine nature. The Serpent was their father in nature.
    2. The word "generation" can also be used to denote the time it takes to "generate" the next "generation", e.g. Genesis 15:16. In this case it was 100 years (Gen.15:13). But in this case, no two "generations" are ever the same. In Seth's case, Adam took 130 years to "generate" him, and this "generation" lived 912 years.

The problem with applying point #2 is that by the time our Lord was predicting the future events we discuss, Psalm 90 gives the time of a man's life as 70. But this does not help the matter at all because our Lord Jesus did not give the starting point. If He was alluding to a TIME it took for one to be "generated" and then die, we can never calculate it because "THIS GENERATION" must include babies of Jerusalem and old men of 68. For a clear understanding of "this generation" we must use it like the majority of the Bible uses it - that is, a "generation" is WHAT is GENERATED. Let us run through the "generation" of Matthew alone, and even then, not all of them. In
    • Matthew 1:1 What was generated? A King, and a Son of the man to whom the promise of inheriting the earth was made by God, Abraham
    • Matthew 3:7 What was generated? Snakes! One snake generated the same kind - more snakes
    • Matthew 12:34 Again, Serpents "generate" Serpents
    • Matthew 12:39 The "generation" is not a TIME. It is a NATURE - "evil and adulterous"
    • Matthew 16:4 Again, it is the NATURE of what is generated - not a time

Let us now more closely examine Matthew 23:30-36.
    30 "And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
    36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation."

Our Lord starts in verse 30 with the "fathers" of this generation - fathers who killed the prophets".
    Our Lord goes on in verse 31 to show these Jews to be "children" of the murderers
    In verse 32, based on Genesis 1:11-12 the murderer "fathers" will "generate" murderers. So our Lord says "complete this serpentine work"
    In verse 33 the Lord says who the fathers were and who the "children" are - SERPENTS.
    In verse 34 history proved Him right. These Israelites killed Christians who God sent
    In verse 35 we reach the crux of the matter. This SERPENTINE GENERATION, which "generated" SERPENTS, GOES RIGHT BACK TO CAIN. "THIS GENERATION" is the people who were "generated" by Adam who possessed the serpentine nature. They have been "generating" since Adam. And history again helps us. To this day there is a "generation" that possesses Satan's snake-nature. It hates God's messengers, hates God's anointed One, hates God's Covenants and Law, and hates God's beautiful plan of salvation. "THIS GENERATION" is the men who were generated with the serpentine nature who WERE there to kill Abel, WERE there to kill the prophets, WERE there to murder our Lord Jesus, WERE there to kill the Apostles, and WILL be there to try to kill the Two Witnesses of Revelation 11.

It is NOT a TIME FRAME. It is PEOPLE who possess a NATURE - a serpentine nature. If we apply this meaning, all problems of our Lord's prophecy dissolve. AD 70 must not be forced into anything. What must be looked for is men who want to kill and destroy God's People and God's Work. Are they not before our eyes today? "THIS GENERATION" is the lineage and genealogy of the SERPENT! It stretches from Adam's "generation" till today.
    The gospel has been preached to all nations, the internet has seen to that, we have missed the understanding of the tribulation as the persecution of Christians, being burned at the stake, whole sections of Christian believers being wiped out, their bibles burned or forbidden, and killed for their beliefs during the time prophesized, history shows us has happened.

Going back to the 'Abomination of Desolation' at the time of Jesus, the Jews especially the religious leaders were into a path that eventually would destroy the nation and people by the Romans, but they were blind as Jesus said. They wanted to kill him because He was a threat to the their religious system, the false form of worship they had let creep in which allowed them power and prestige for themselves and also wealth they had accumulated. He was a threat to their way of life, and the money they had pouring into their coffers and to their false traditions they had created to set aside Gods Law. Here was someone who taught what showed what they were doing against what God intended, Jeus didn't follow their false form of worship or keep the Sabbath in the manner they had set up with their many rules, and thought it should be kept, but which actually the form of worship was a abomination they had made. So what Jesus pointed out infuriated the Jewish leaders and led them to seek Jesus' death.

Jesus revealed to them their abomination of worship they had made and the error of their ways and pointed the way to true worship. Yet they hardened their hearts and reject it and continued in their abomination, and brought on the judgement of desolation.

Now lets turn to Jesus that the ceremonial law and the sacrifices in Jerusalem was coming to a end, as He would fulfill what they pointed to....

19The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”John 4:24.

In the encounter with the woman at the well, Christ tells the woman of the Samaritans’ and Jews’ misconceptions of God. God cannot be confined to this mountain or to Jerusalem as they had formed in their view, for God is omnipresent and doesn’t need a Temple to be with them, and can be worshipped anywhere in spirit and in truth. But the Jews had made a idol in their great pride of the Temple and began to worship the building instead of who deserves worship, and now the Son of God which deserved it, had come. After teaching in the temple as He left it for the last time, Jesus was grief stricken with anguish as He saw the ultimate result of their apostasy, which would lead to desolation. Look at Luke 19:41-44:

"For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side and shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation" Luke 19:41-44.

This prophecy was fulfilled in 70 A.D. when the Roman armies of Titus built a trench all around the city and attacked and burned the temple to the ground. This second desolation of the temple perfectly paralleled its first destruction. On both occasions the abominations were done by the apostasy and abomination of the religious leaders and people and the desolation was judgment being done by a army which brought its own abomination coupled with devastation desolation.

It wasn't about the armies or the Roman yoke on the Jews, but about Jesus love and compassion for others doing what He could to alleviate their suffering, we see it over and over...
    I understand what Jesus was doing. I was just pointing out how theologians imagine the "abomination of desolation" in terms of a foreign power such as Antiochus Epiphanies, but that's not the type of enemy Jesus warned us about.

The real controversy between Jesus and the Jews was over the abomination they had made of worship, and we see what was to be the culmination of the evil which resulted, in verse 47:

"And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him," Luke 19:47
    I get what you're saying and I agree. I'm just pointing out when Jesus said,

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand
    Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. Mt.24:15-18,

He meant when you see people reject Christ, leave and don't take your old life with you.

I understand what Jesus was doing. I was just pointing out how theologians imagine the "abomination of desolation" in terms of a foreign power such as Antiochus Epiphanies, but that's not the type of enemy Jesus warned us about.

I get what you're saying and I agree. I'm just pointing out when Jesus said,

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand
    Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. Mt.24:15-18,

He meant when you see people reject Christ, leave and don't take your old life with you.
    The problem today is we are seeing people rejecting Christ, and turning away from Christianity and true worship and embracing abominations that would make even the Jews that were in Jerusalem in 70 AD ashamed. Jesus, looking down to us today, basically the last generation, saw the world involved in a deception similar to that which caused the destruction of Jerusalem. The great sin of the Jews was their rejection of Christ; the great sin of the Christian world today is their rejection of the principles of the law of God, and immersing themselves in the abomination which brings desolation. You can hardly find any difference between those who call themselves 'Christian' and the world, they are addicted to the world and the corrupting influence it brings. Because Israel rejected the Messiah they lost their place as God's favored people.

Jesus predicted this would take place by saying, "The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof" (Matthew 21:43).

Christians have assumed the role of Israel, and the Christian church absorbs the status of the temple or sanctuary of God. The Christian church is repeating many of the same sins of abominations of Israel and soon will come the judgement of desolation. Just as God gave the early Christians a sign of when to flee Jerusalem, so He has given us a sign. He has made it clear for every Christian who looks to know when the corrupting influence of sin takes over the churches and this world's at the end time.

So now, many Christians are 'taking their old lives of sin' with them as the abomination is in the Christian church, and this time everyone has to choose one path or the other. The true worship that God wants or what is a abomination, and this abomination will ultimately bring desolation as we see the people reject Christ and abandon and leave Christianity, which is happening today.

Here is from my notes..

'According to Roman historian Cassio Dio, after the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD the worship overseen by the High Priest ceased. The site was covered over with rubble and a pagan temple dedicated to Jupiter set up on the Temple mount when Hadrian became Caesar (117 - 138 AD). Hadrian installed on the mount, two statues which was seem as idol worship to the Jews, one of Jupiter, another of himself. Hadrian, not only set up a Temple of Jupiter as a center of worship to Jupiter, but expelled the Jews from Jerusalem altogether, only allowing them to come in the city on the fast of Tisha B'av, the ninth day of the lunar month Av, a day of mourning for the destruction of the First and the Second Jewish Temple. This appears to have caused a second Jewish revolt with the intent of recapturing Jerusalem and reconstruction of the Temple, however Rome sent six full legions with auxiliaries and elements from up to six additional legions, which finally managed to crush the revolt. The pagan temple appears to have been rebuilt in the early Umayyad period: as the al-Aqsa Mosque, the Dome of the Rock which sits on the site today.'

Now the disciples were also asking about the end, so the answer Jesus gave basically is two fulfillments of the abomination of desolation, the first was the literal siege of Jerusalem which began in 68 A.D. and the armies of Rome temporarily abandoned that siege, signaling Christians to flee the city. When the armies of Rome returned in 70 A.D., the temple was burned and Jerusalem destroyed, but the Christians had fled so none of them perished in the second Roman siege. This was the desolation referred to in Luke 21:20-21. It was the "type" or initial fulfillment. The second or "antitype" fulfillment which Christ also speaks to, is the answer to the question asked by the disciples with regard to the second coming. This abomination is another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was of Jerusalem was just to give warning. In the fate of the Jews and destruction of Jerusalem we may see the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and His law. We see the results of abomination and rejecting God and His authority, but it will be a worse desolation which Christ is presenting in the revelations of the future.

I believe the abomination that causes desolation is the crucifixion of Jesus, the rejection of the very Word of God by men. Men who were standing in the holy place.
    Interesting.

I believe I recall a verse in Daniel where two are discussing the AOD, and one asks, "how long till the holy ground is polluted," and the other entity of the two responds that it will be 1260 days, or so.

So I counted from 586 till the end of that number and came up with 704, or thereabouts, and then went looking for any epic happening during that time.

The only thing I found was the completion of the al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount.
    JER 14:13 Then said I: 'Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.'
    JER 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me: 'The prophets prophesy lies in My name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them; they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Interesting.

I believe I recall a verse in Daniel where two are discussing the AOD, and one asks, "how long till the holy ground is polluted," and the other entity of the two responds that it will be 1260 days, or so.

So I counted from 586 till the end of that number and came up with 704, or thereabouts, and then went looking for any epic happening during that time.

The only thing I found was the completion of the al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount.
    I think it's possible the 1260 days is the amount of time Jesus spent in his public ministry and the adversity he faced by those claiming to speak for God.

So when scripture speaks of antichrist polluting the sanctuary, it could be referring to an attempt to destroy our faith in Christ's ministry, as believers become the temple by faith in Jesus. I think the key is understanding it "in Christ".

It's like when the redeemed say,

And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. Rev.11:15

I don't believe this refers to a point in time when kingdoms become God's possession, because all kingdoms on earth belong to God already. They always have. So, I think such passages are simply acknowledgments by believers of what we weren't aware of before we came to faith in Jesus.

In other words, by faith, it's our perception of ownership that changes, not the Owner.

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Interesting.

Well, now you are getting into prophetic time in which the day/year principle has to be applied. Look and compare the historical records to Bible prophecy and see what it shows us. If you put all the verses concerning the apostate antichrist power it becomes clear. The following verses then, refer prophetically to a period of 1260 years of apostasy prevailing in the church:

The 1260 Days:

Rev 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

The two witnesses is a reference to the law and the prophets, the word of God. For 1260 years scriptural truth would be suppressed, obscured by the traditions of men.

Rev 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

The true church would flee persecution by the apostate church, and be sustained by God for 1260 years.

The 42 Months:

This period of 1260 days is also spoken of as 42 months:

Rev 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

The apostate church is referred to here as Gentiles, who will be dominant for 1260 years. Their judgment is to be delayed (measure not), not to be done until after the true church (temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein, v. 1) is judged in the pre-advent judgment.

Rev 13:5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
    Rev 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
    Rev 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

Blasphemy and persecution characterize the 1260 years of dominion of the apostate church.

The 3 1/2 Times:

The 1260 days are also referred to as 3 1/2 times:

Dan 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

Dan 12:7 And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished.

Rev 12:14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

You can see all these verses describe 1260 years of the antichrist power with its blasphemy, persecution, and apostasy, through which the true believers would persevere and emerge from the wilderness at the conclusion of 1260 years.

Here are all the verses referring to the same time in scripture:
    Daniel 7:25, "time, times and a half".
    Daniel 12:7, "time, times and a half".
    Revelation 11:2, "42 months".
    Revelation 11:3, "1260 days".
    Revelation 12:6, "1260 days".
    Revelation 12:14, "time, times and a half".
    Revelation 13:5, "42 months".

So scripture tells us about this antichrist power which history confirms ruled over the kings of Europe and subjected, excommunicated, persecuted and killed all that opposed her, including God’s true people for 1260 years.

Thread Information