Thread: Clyburn says Omar's experiences are more emperical than Holocaust descendants

Blog Entries

Clyburn says Omar's experiences are more emperical than Holocaust descendants

Clyburn defends Omar: Her experiences are more empirical and personal than descendants of Holocaust survivors

I thought the talking point yesterday from Democrats was that there’s “no hierarchy of hurt,” meaning that anti-semitism shouldn’t be specially acknowledged in a House resolution relative to other forms of prejudice. How is that logic different from right-wingers answering claims of “black lives matter” with “all lives matter”? Well, Dems would say, righties were acting in bad faith; they don’t really care about black lives, they were just trying to blunt the force of a meritorious argument about racism against a particular group of Americans.

How are we feeling about that Democratic argument today? You think Ilhan Omar, who was chirping about AIPAC and “the Benjamins” just last month, and all of the members of the Democratic Party who tolerate (or pose for photos with) human garbage like Louis Farrakhan are acting in good faith when they claim, in response to a denunciation of anti-semitism, that there’s “no hierarchy of hurt”?

But I digress. Jim Clyburn is very much *not* on board with the idea that there’s “no hierarchy of hurt.” There is a hierarchy, and former refugee Ilhan Omar apparently sits higher on it than an American Jew whose grandparents were turned into soap by the Nazis.

Clyburn came to Omar’s defense Wednesday, lamenting that many of the media reports surrounding the recent controversy have omitted mentioning that Omar, who was born in Somalia, had to flee the country to escape violence and spent four years in a Kenyan refugee camp before coming to the United States.

Her experience, Clyburn argued, is much more empirical — and powerful — than that of people who are generations removed from the Holocaust, Japanese internment camps during World War II and the other violent episodes that have marked history.

“I’m serious about that. There are people who tell me, ‘Well, my parents are Holocaust survivors.’ ‘My parents did this.’ It’s more personal with her,” Clyburn said. “I’ve talked to her, and I can tell you she is living through a lot of pain.”

What did I say yesterday about Omar being graded on a curve for her understanding of American cultural sensitivities even though, in any other context, it would be the rankest prejudice to suggest that she’s not as fully American as everyone else? Here it is, in action, from the third-ranking Democrat in the House. Philip Klein tries to parse the point Clyburn’s making:

The implication is that because Omar fled Somalia she gets a free pass to target another religious minority.
    It also in itself is deeply offensive. Remembering the Holocaust, and the oft repeated phrase “Never Again,” is about making sure we’re proactive about combating anti-Semitism before it manifests in ways that lead to mass slaughter.
    Not to mention, it isn’t as if anti-Semitism is an abstract problem. Hate crimes against Jews are on the rise.

Correct on all counts, particularly the last point. If you polled Democrats on which religious group they believe is most commonly targeted in hate crimes in America, I bet most would say “Muslims, of course,” starting with Clyburn. Not so. It’s Jews by a wide margin. As for Clyburn’s point about her refugee status, I don’t understand what relevance he thinks that has to any part of this discussion. Is he claiming, as I imagined above, that she doesn’t understand stereotypes about dual loyalty as well as a native-born American would and therefore should be cut some slack? Is he making the point Klein senses, that refugees have had hard lives and shouldn’t have those lives made harder by hassling them about their prejudices (“she is living through a lot of pain”)?
    I think he’s making a more basic point: Omar’s refugee background is a reminder that she’s a Victim many times over, in her race, her gender, her religion, and the chaos she endured as a child in Somalia. When you measure her victimhood against that of someone who didn’t experience the Holocaust firsthand, she wins. She’s a gold medalist in the Victim Olympics. Descendants of the Nazis’ extermination campaign are no better than silver, maybe bronze.
    And so, you see, there is a hierarchy of hurt and this episode is very much about reordering that hierarchy in a way more suitable to progressive policy. In fact, here’s another telling quote from Clyburn yesterday: “Everybody talks about how diverse this Congress is. This Congress is not diverse; the Democratic Caucus is diverse… We’ve got 53 black people in our caucus. How many Muslims do you think are in their caucus?” It is … interesting that he thinks political space needs to be cleared for dual-loyalty smears aimed at supporters of the Jewish state just because his caucus contains a handful of Muslim members, but that’s the implication. And it’s unfair to Muslims inasmuch as it lets off the hook all the non-Muslim progressive trash in the Dems’ freshmen crop who have spun hard for Omar over the last 72 hours. This isn’t about accommodating Muslim or refugee sensibilities in the newly diverse Democratic caucus, it’s about young progressives wanting to steer the party and eventually the country towards a stance more hostile to Israel and viewing this episode with Omar as an early battle towards that end. By defending Omar and defeating a resolution aimed at her, they’re able to flex their muscle and show Pelosi that the fight over the direction of U.S.-Israel policy is on and anti-semitism will be no bar to it.
    The democrats and their selective bigotry is astounding.

I guess blacks are so removed from slavery they shouldn't have any claims either?
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Re: Clyburn says Omar's experiences are more emperical than Holocaust descendants

So there's an interesting biblical lesson here. If we read the bible, we see again and again how God exhorts the Hebrews "You were slaves in the land of Egypt." For example, when one frees their slave, God commands "You are to furnish him liberally from your flock, your threshing floor, and your winepress. You shall give to him as the LORD your God has blessed you.." and then says "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you. That is why I give you this command today." (Deuteronomy 15)

What's God saying here? In essence "You suffered, so be sensitive to the suffering of others".

What's Clyburn saying? "Omar suffered, so she gets a free pass at dishing out suffering on others".

This is the exact opposite of what God wants.

Blog Entries

Re: Clyburn says Omar's experiences are more emperical than Holocaust descendants

Indeed. The democrats hate people who refuse to be victims and rise up despite all odds and display the very generosity they were refused.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    So there's an interesting biblical lesson here. If we read the bible, we see again and again how God exhorts the Hebrews "You were slaves in the land of Egypt." For example, when one frees their slave, God commands "You are to furnish him liberally from your flock, your threshing floor, and your winepress. You shall give to him as the LORD your God has blessed you.." and then says "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you. That is why I give you this command today." (Deuteronomy 15)

What's God saying here? In essence "You suffered, so be sensitive to the suffering of others".

What's Clyburn saying? "Omar suffered, so she gets a free pass at dishing out suffering on others".

This is the exact opposite of what God wants.
    This is just an excellent commentary. Thank you for posting it. Something for all of us to remember. May I never forget what God has done for me and may we all have mercy on others as He has had mercy on us.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

I don't understand the bigotry against Jews nor Israel. It has to be spiritual in nature.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I don't understand the bigotry against Jews nor Israel. It has to be spiritual in nature.
    Definitely. .

Numbers 10:35 says "Whenever the ark set out, Moses said, "Rise up, LORD! May your enemies be scattered; may your foes flee before you."

The text is unusual. Medieval Jewish commentator Rashi observed that properly, Moses should have said, "May our enemies be scattered" not "Your enemies". Rashi then explains that the Jews enemies are also God's enemies.

Why should this be so? Because we are God's stake in this world. We are, as God explains in Isaiah, His witnesses and His servant. (Isa 43:10). We are living testimony that God exists and that He has expectations of morality from man. And this is something that the wicked don't want to be reminded of. And while they cannot attack God, they can attack His proxies in this world. That is why wicked people and wicked regimes always hate Jews.

This also applies to devout Christians. The same haters will eventually turn on them as well.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Numbers 10:35 says "Whenever the ark set out, Moses said, "Rise up, LORD! May your enemies be scattered; may your foes flee before you."

The text is unusual. Medieval Jewish commentator Rashi observed that properly, Moses should have said, "May our enemies be scattered" not "Your enemies". Rashi then explains that the Jews enemies are also God's enemies.

Why should this be so? Because we are God's stake in this world. We are, as God explains in Isaiah, His witnesses and His servant. (Isa 43:10). We are living testimony that God exists and that He has expectations of morality from man. And this is something that the wicked don't want to be reminded of. And while they cannot attack God, they can attack His proxies in this world. That is why wicked people and wicked regimes always hate Jews.

This also applies to devout Christians. The same haters will eventually turn on them as well.
    Wow... Numbers 10 was my reading this morning and I have been thinking about that specific verse and the next verse when the Ark is set in to rest.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

... . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by bluesky22; Mar 15th 2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Edit test 1
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

Blog Entries

Could you explain a little more what you see here Mark?
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

Isn't part of a covenant an "exchange of enemies" so that my enemies become His enemies and His enemies become my enemies? I like the way the commentator explained this. It also reminds me of the old mob movies/stories. The other Dons may not be able to take out the boss, but they can go after his kids.

IMO, it is this understanding that allows the teaching in the NT that Christians are to turn the other cheek, knowing that God will take vengeance. It also allows for us to recognize that there is another war afoot, and that Christians are not to "battle", so to speak, with flesh and blood. But instead, to focus on the enemy behind our "enemies".
    NASU

Thread Information