Thread: Mistrust For Others?

Blog Entries

Mistrust For Others?

What does Scripture say about trusting others (i.e.: your neighbor, or brother/sister in Christ)? Do you believe a general mistrust, except in relating to God, is a problem or even sinful? What would be some solutions?
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Re: Mistrust For Others?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    What does Scripture say about trusting others (i.e.: your neighbor, or brother/sister in Christ)? Do you believe a general mistrust, except in relating to God, is a problem or even sinful? What would be some solutions?
    This is one way of looking at it. John 2:24-25;

24 "But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
    25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    This is one way of looking at it. John 2:24-25;

24 "But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
    25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man."
    Okay, that's a good point. Also this makes me think of Judas and how Jesus knew about his betrayal in advance. But presumably he was still treated the same as John and Peter? So perhaps being mistrustful is not an issue if it doesn't affect your ability to love that person anyway.

Blog Entries

I trust all people with what I am willing to forfeit. Material wise, thatís not a big issue for me. When it comes to life, thatís another issue.

But here are some Scriptures that may help with trusting with the heart, life and soul:

Psalm 118
    It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.

Micah 7:
    Put no trust in a neighbor; have no confidence in a friend; guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your arms; for the son treats the father with contempt, the daughter rises up against her mother, the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house. But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me.

Jeremiah 9

Let everyone beware of his neighbor, and put no trust in any brother, for every brother is a deceiver, and every neighbor goes about as a slanderer.

John 2

But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man.
    Last edited by keck553; Mar 12th 2019 at 04:55 AM. Reason: And as always, we need to me mindful of context

Blog Entries

And as always, we need to be mindful of contexts.

The Scriptures say: "Do not love the world." If in relating to anybody this involves compromise with the world, we should not trust at all. This doesn't mean we get paranoid, or can't do business with the non-Christian world. It just means we don't form alliances with them, or bare our souls, etc.

When dealing with worldly Christians the same issues are involved, except that we're obligated to acknowledge their Christian brotherhood. There should be a sense of trust between brothers and sisters, but we still are obligated to remain "watchful," as Jesus indicated. It is an evil age, and all are infected with the sin nature. Temptations, obstacles, and hazards abound!

On the other hand, "love believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." This means we must make ourselves vulnerable in matters of being loving towards others. We run the risk of being slapped, or back-stabbed. We simply need to maintain our love towards all.

Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    The Scriptures say: "Do not love the world." If in relating to anybody this involves compromise with the world, we should not trust at all. This doesn't mean we get paranoid, or can't do business with the non-Christian world. It just means we don't form alliances with them, or bare our souls, etc.

When dealing with worldly Christians the same issues are involved, except that we're obligated to acknowledge their Christian brotherhood. There should be a sense of trust between brothers and sisters, but we still are obligated to remain "watchful," as Jesus indicated. It is an evil age, and all are infected with the sin nature. Temptations, obstacles, and hazards abound!

On the other hand, "love believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." This means we must make ourselves vulnerable in matters of being loving towards others. We run the risk of being slapped, or back-stabbed. We simply need to maintain our love towards all.

Good question!
    I could go along with this. What I do in life, and in the Church life, is to expect failure from myself and others. But as we Christians are to expect blows in this life, we still function. We still go about any business as if the other party will fulfill the agreement. I'm sorry to report though that I have been dealt evilly much more by Christians than the world. But then again I am not surprised when it happens as, for the Lord's glory,

26 "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
    27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
    28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
    29 That no flesh should glory in his presence."
    (1st Corinthians 1:26-29)

There is another point that one might consider in this line. The People of God are a "gathering". Israel "gathered" around the Tabernacle of TESTIMONY. The Church is the "gathering of called-out ones". We are not to stay away from the "gatherings". It is in the "gathering" that the gifts for building the church are put to use. This needs UNITY. And so our Lord Jesus prayed to His Father that we would be ONE (Jn.17:11-23). The Holy Spirit has created a UNITY that must be zealously kept (Eph.4:1-4). So, I am very hesitant to do business with other Christians. If the business fails because of evil (which "base and ignoble" persons are likely to commit), there is a great chance that the UNITY will be broken. I have watched many disputes within the circle of brotherhood and the end was always a sundering of fellowship. I would suggest that one does business outside the Church, or if you cannot due to circumstances, (i) be very diligent to uphold your side, (ii) expect the brethren to fail, and (iii) mentally prepare yourself for the loss of your goods. This way, you can trust, but take the blows when they come, and still uphold the UNITY from your side.

In this theme, when a brother asks for help or money, I am constrained rather to GIVE than to lend. Luke 6:30 helps. "Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again." If one lends, and requires repayment, one sets themself up for tension and possibly an end to fellowship.

I think this question has been well answered in this thread. But just to throw food for thought out there...

I see a difference in trusting and entrusting. I guess it depends on how you want to define "trust". For instance, I trust my mom to be exactly as she is. I trust a theif to steal. I trust an angry person to have outburst of anger. I trust a loving person to be kind (most of the time) and so on. But to "entrust" myself to someone is an entirely different thing.

Another thought... there's a difference between not entrusting myself to someone, and looking at them with suspicion and judgment.

What am I getting at? There's a difference between not trusting/entrusting my inner most being, my heart, my emotions, my dreams, etc. with someone and looking down my nose at them with suspicion/judgement. Saul looked at David with suspicion after people praised him and scripture says 'the next day an evil spirit from God came on him'. Judgment/suspicion can be a sin and we need to be careful about it.

But simply knowing that denial was in Peter, and then not entrusting Himself to Peter while on the cross, was not sin at all for our Lord Jesus. For He did not let such things get in the way of having intimacy with Peter. He even, after telling Peter that Peter would deny Him, asked Peter to come away with James and John so they could all pray for and with Him. Intimacy was still there even though Jesus ultimately did not entrust Himself to man but rather to God.

1 Peter 2:23 and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;

Peter was so changed by Jesus restoration and forgiveness, that he could preach against denial and also preach to others about how Jesus didn't trust man, but rather, entrusted Himself to God. Jesus didn't even trust Peter and Peter was OK with that now. But back then, Peter defended himself. God so healed Peter, that 50 days or so later, Peter preached against denial of Jesus.

Acts 3:11 Now as the lame man who was healed held on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the porch which is called Solomon's, greatly amazed. 12 So when Peter saw it, he responded to the people: "Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently at us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? 13 The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let Him go.

Anyway, I have meandered. Let me sum up... if something that looks and feels like distrust is preventing intimacy, then perhaps it is more than just distrust/not entrusting/etc. and should be looked into. If it leads to judgment/supsicion/etc. then perhaps it should be looked into. But if one can still be intimate with others, enjoy their company, yet, not entrust themselves completely to that person because you know they will betray you at some point, then that might just be wisdom.

Ultimately, Jesus entrusted Himself to the Father. But we also see that on some level, He also entrusted himself to His closest friends but not completely. For there were things He longed to tell them but they were not ready.

God bless.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Interesting thoughts, thanks. I can't rep you at the moment.

Thread Information