Thread: What Do You all Think of this???? Taking Advantage of people???

What Do You all Think of this???? Taking Advantage of people???

OK. I am going to tell you all something that happened to me yesterday. I want you all to read the details of the situation and tell me if you think this sounds "fishy".

Yesterday, I was watching a Christian TV channel when a lady was being interviewed by a famous Christian TV personality. This lady was telling the story of how her Autistic son was healed from Autism after being prayed for during a church meeting. She was telling about how severe his autism was - he did not speak and only grunted when he wanted something, was self-injuring, ate things that were not food (like drywall, tree bark, small toys, etc.), had meltdowns....and she went on and on with his list of previous behaviors. She said he is now completely healed and is in college doing well and no one would ever know he was ever autistic. OK...First of all, let me say that I believe God can heal any child any time any place. So, I believe this can happen. Any way, she went on to say that since this happened to her child, she has started her own ministry of praying for the healing of children who are autistic. She was saying that she has seen many children healed immediately after being prayed for. She gave her web address and phone #. Well, I have an autistic child. So, I contacted this lady. She said she would call me last night to talk to me and my husband to let us know "How her ministry works". I said OK. well...

She called and said that there are several steps we have to take before she can pray for our child. (ummm...OK. Doesn't sound biblical to me?) Step 1: Both my husband and I would have to fill out a 10-page form (1 for each one of us) answering questions about our past and present personal lives. These were questions that covered EVERYTHING - like "Did you ever have nightmares as a child?" , "How long have you been a Christian?" , "Have you ever committed adultery or fornication?" And the list went on and on....There were about 65 questions on these 10 pages and she wanted essay answers to each question. Step 2: After reading our answers, she would set us up for a "counseling session" via Skype to restore our marriage. ...Ummm our marriage is fine and I told her so. My husband and I are very happy in our marriage! She said it still has to be done. And yup. You guessed it - the counseling session costs $500! THEN...After the marriage counseling session, she would want to have Skype sessions with our autistic daughter (costing $95/hour). I asked how many sessions. She said it depends on the child. She said it could be as few as 3 or as many as 2-3 dozen! (That is a LOT of money!) THEN....after all of this is done,. she would say a 5 minute healing prayer over our child.

Now, tell me that I am not crazy. Doesn't this sound like a money scheme?!?! Why would anyone charge a family money to pray for them? Don't you all think this lady is taking advantage of people? I think this is pretty bad! She should know firsthand (having had an autistic child herself) that families of autistic kids are out a LOT of money already on doctors, medications, therapies, etc. Then, she wants to turn around and add salt to the wound by charging us for prayer??? I have to admit that I got a little angry. AND...she told us that she has to figure out "What is wrong with me and my husband" before she can help our child. WHAT??? OK. No one is perfect. But, my husband and I have never done drugs, never drank, never smoked, never cheated on each other, never stolen anything, have a very happy marriage, and try to raise our children in a Christian home. And it feels like she is trying to blame us for our daughter's autism?????? What do you all think of this? Do I have a right to think she is a scammer??

Re: What Do You all Think of this???? Taking Advantage of people???

Break contact with her and never communicate with her again.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Quote Originally Posted by mom_of_four View Post
    Doesn't this sound like a money scheme?!?!
    Of course it is a scam! And it's taking advantage of the desperation that parents of autistic children often feel.

If it's on TV I'm skeptical. Smaller local TV ministries tend to be more legit, but the national or worldwide ones stay away from. The one you're describing is definitely a scam.

Blog Entries

Oh, my!! Do NOT contact this woman again. If she contacts YOU - do not reply. And consider calling the police.

She is preying on the heartstrings of parents who are desperate enough to believe anything.

My younger brother who lives with me is autistic. He turned 56 yesterday. We had a wonderful time. I've taught autistic children and am teaching one now in my Children's Choir at church. Autism does not go away. Only God is sovereign over this. Man is not.

Autistic children can learn just as much as other children can. They may learn differently, but they can learn and thrive. Academics, behavior, and more. It's hard work, but it's achievable.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Quote Originally Posted by mom_of_four View Post
    OK. I am going to tell you all something that happened to me yesterday. I want you all to read the details of the situation and tell me if you think this sounds "fishy".

Yesterday, I was watching a Christian TV channel when a lady was being interviewed by a famous Christian TV personality. This lady was telling the story of how her Autistic son was healed from Autism after being prayed for during a church meeting. She was telling about how severe his autism was - he did not speak and only grunted when he wanted something, was self-injuring, ate things that were not food (like drywall, tree bark, small toys, etc.), had meltdowns....and she went on and on with his list of previous behaviors. She said he is now completely healed and is in college doing well and no one would ever know he was ever autistic. OK...First of all, let me say that I believe God can heal any child any time any place. So, I believe this can happen. Any way, she went on to say that since this happened to her child, she has started her own ministry of praying for the healing of children who are autistic. She was saying that she has seen many children healed immediately after being prayed for. She gave her web address and phone #. Well, I have an autistic child. So, I contacted this lady. She said she would call me last night to talk to me and my husband to let us know "How her ministry works". I said OK. well...

She called and said that there are several steps we have to take before she can pray for our child. (ummm...OK. Doesn't sound biblical to me?) Step 1: Both my husband and I would have to fill out a 10-page form (1 for each one of us) answering questions about our past and present personal lives. These were questions that covered EVERYTHING - like "Did you ever have nightmares as a child?" , "How long have you been a Christian?" , "Have you ever committed adultery or fornication?" And the list went on and on....There were about 65 questions on these 10 pages and she wanted essay answers to each question. Step 2: After reading our answers, she would set us up for a "counseling session" via Skype to restore our marriage. ...Ummm our marriage is fine and I told her so. My husband and I are very happy in our marriage! She said it still has to be done. And yup. You guessed it - the counseling session costs $500! THEN...After the marriage counseling session, she would want to have Skype sessions with our autistic daughter (costing $95/hour). I asked how many sessions. She said it depends on the child. She said it could be as few as 3 or as many as 2-3 dozen! (That is a LOT of money!) THEN....after all of this is done,. she would say a 5 minute healing prayer over our child.

Now, tell me that I am not crazy. Doesn't this sound like a money scheme?!?! Why would anyone charge a family money to pray for them? Don't you all think this lady is taking advantage of people? I think this is pretty bad! She should know firsthand (having had an autistic child herself) that families of autistic kids are out a LOT of money already on doctors, medications, therapies, etc. Then, she wants to turn around and add salt to the wound by charging us for prayer??? I have to admit that I got a little angry. AND...she told us that she has to figure out "What is wrong with me and my husband" before she can help our child. WHAT??? OK. No one is perfect. But, my husband and I have never done drugs, never drank, never smoked, never cheated on each other, never stolen anything, have a very happy marriage, and try to raise our children in a Christian home. And it feels like she is trying to blame us for our daughter's autism?????? What do you all think of this? Do I have a right to think she is a scammer??
    She is a Scam Artist and needs to be exposed.

Blog Entries

Yes, she's attempting to deceive you. Here's a relevant story from Acts 8 that you should keep in mind:

But there was a man named Simon, who had previously practiced magic in the city and amazed the people of Samaria, saying that he himself was somebody great. They all paid attention to him, from the least to the greatest, saying, “This man is the power of God that is called Great.” [...] Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit [...] Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money, saying, “Give me this power also, so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” But Peter said to him, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money! You have neither part nor lot in this matter, for your heart is not right before God."
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Thread Information