Thread: - Who is Jesus? -

Blog Entries

- Who is Jesus? -

Matthew 16:16, “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God”
    John 20:28, “And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

At Caesarea Philippi, Jesus asked His disciples, “Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?” (Matthew 16:13). After hearing their answers, He asked, “But whom say ye that I am?” (v. 15). Peter promptly replied, “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God” (v. 16). The question Jesus posed to His disciples is the most significant question anyone can face, and Peter’s response was the most significant answer anyone can give. Jesus is “the Christ, the Son of the living God.” The apostle Paul affirmed in his letter to the Colossians that Jesus is the Son of God (1:13).

The words of Thomas in John 20:28 are deeply moving. When he was fully convinced that Jesus had risen from the grave, he exclaimed to his Master, “MY Lord and my God!” Please note that Jesus neither disowned these titles nor refused the homage. Nor did He rebuke Thomas for addressing Him as God. If He had not wished His followers to worship Him, surely this would have been one occasion on which He could have corrected them.

My beloved, his followers understood His unique identity, and even His enemies saw clearly the implication of His words. When Jesus referred to God as His Father, they tried “all the more to kill Him” because they understood that He was “making Himself equal with God” (John 5:18). And on another occasion they tried to stone Him. Their explanation? “You, being a man, make Yourself God” (John 10:33).

Who is Jesus? More importantly, who do you say Jesus is? His disciples recognized Him as the divine Son of God. His detractors also perceived His claim to deity. The former responded with love and worship; the latter with hostility and unbelief. My beloved, you cannot be neutral about Jesus Christ.

Further Reflection:

Why is the question over Jesus’ true identity so important? Why does it matter whether or not Jesus is God? The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Only God could pay such an infinite penalty (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus had to be God so that He could pay our debt. Jesus had to be man so He could die. Salvation is available only through faith in Jesus Christ.

What’s in that name? All the grace of God, all the wonder of redemption, all that we believe, and all that we are hoping for. We say it, we sing it, and adoration fills our souls. We anticipate the indescribable glory of that day when every knee will bow and every tongue, by glad choice or by diving constraint, will praise that highest and holiest of all names – Jesus!

So, my beloved do not be deceived by ambiguous, watered down, or false descriptions of Jesus that you have read or heard about. Stick to the Bible, the authoritative Word of God, and when people try to minimize His identity, tell them in no uncertain terms who the real Jesus is! He is the only way of salvation and that is why He proclaimed, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

All glory to Jesus, begotten of God,
    The great I AM is He;
    Creator, sustainer – but wonder of all,
    The Lamb of Calvary! – Peterson

My beloved, what you decide about Jesus Christ determines your destiny.
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil" - Proverbs 3:5-7

LNC, U. S. Navy
    Retired

My Blog at Wordpress - https://www.hiseternalword.wordpress.com

Re: - Who is Jesus? -

“Christ is all” Colossians 3:11

Blog Entries

Re: - Who is Jesus? -

Observing the ways Jesus is portrayed these days, it’s almost impossible to recognize Him as the Jesus of the Bible, whose name is above all names. Some groups add to what the Bible says about Him, while others diminish Him to simple humanity, claiming that He was merely a wise teacher and some would like to make Him disappear altogether. As believers in Jesus Christ, I submit to you a brief summary of what He is to us and why He is the preeminent One. Thus, the Bible, God’s breathed Word, with simple clarity states that:

(1) Christ is our God the second person of the Trinity.

Thomas confessed to Christ saying "My Lord and my God!"

(2) Christ is our Lord.

He alone is worthy! (Philippians 2:9-11, “Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father")

(3) Christ is our Creator.

Who is the One who made you in the womb? Who is the One who made the Heaven and the Earth? It is none other but the Lord Jesus! (Colossians 1:16-17, “All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist")

(4) Christ is our Redeemer.

He is the one who redeemed us from our sins and made us free and who ransomed us by his blood. (1 Peter 1:18-19, "Knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot")

(5) Christ is our Savior.

He is the One who died for us and saved us from our sins. Matthew 1:21, "And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins”)

(6) Christ is our Advocate and Mediator.

Christ is our attorney before God our Father. He pleads our cause before God. (1 Timothy 2:5, “For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus")

(7) Christ is our High Priest.

He ever lives to make intercession for us. He sympathizes with us and prays for us. "Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted." (Hebrews 2:17-18; 4:14-16; 7:25)

(8) Christ is our King and Prophet.

He is the "King of Kings" and "Lord of Lords" (Hebrews 1:1-2, “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds”)

(9) Christ is our Shepherd.

He cares for His sheep and He gave His life for His sheep. He seeks us out and brings us back when we go astray. (John 10:14-15, “I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep")

Jesus Christ is the Good Shepherd of your life and He will never leave you nor forsake you. In fact, He will leave the ninety and nine to go after the lost sheep. Luke 15:3-7, “Then Jesus told them this parable: "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

What a powerful scripture! Believe that Jesus, the Shepherd is going after your lost spouse this weekend or that co-worker and neighbor you have been witnessing to. He is calling their name each and every day and saying, "No, Don't do that or go that way! Stop and turn around!" The Lord needs us to continue fervently in prayer for that spouse, co-worker, neighbor and those who have fallen into the trap of sin. Jesus Christ is the only one who can set them free from the bondage of sin and deception from the master deceiver (Satan) who is also known as an angel of light!

(10) Christ is our Head.

Christ is our Head and He is the Head of the church. Don't let anyone deceive you saying that the Pope is the Head of the church. No! The bible says that Christ is the Head of the church. "But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God." (1 Corinthians 11:3); "And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church." (Ephesians 1:22); "And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence." (Colossians 1:18)

(11) Christ is our resurrection.

This is a key doctrine of our faith. No other doctrine of the Scriptures has been more persistently attacked than the bodily resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. And no wonder, for it is the keystone in the great arch of all Christian doctrine. With the resurrection of Jesus, the whole structure of Christian doctrine stands or falls. If the resurrection could be disproved, Christianity would crumble in the dust and have less credence than the wildest myths of ancient Greece and Rome. Satan knows this, and so his earliest and most frequent attack on the truth of Christ is against His bodily resurrection. Thus, the credibility of our Christian faith rests on the “many infallible proofs” that Jesus is alive.

(12) Christ is our security.

There is no security in this world but uncertainty. Christ is our security. He gives us eternal security and no one who believes in Him will perish or be snatched out of His hand. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand." (John 10:27-29)

(13) Christ is Truth.

"What is truth?" Pilate said in John 18:38. Jesus is the truth. Ever wonder which religion is the truth? Jesus is the embodiment of truth. He is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6); "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6); "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14) "For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."
    (John 1:17)

(14) Christ is our peace.

Like the bumper sticker says: "No Jesus, no peace; know Jesus, know peace." He is the One who gives us peace in our hearts in this world full of trouble and anxiety. "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”" (John 16:33) "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)

(15) Christ is the One who gives us joy and lifts us up when were are down. "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full." (John 15:11)

(16) Christ is our example.

Need a role model? Look no further! Christ is our great role model. He is perfection embodied. He is pure and spotless. "Following Him I know I'm right," as the song says. "He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked." (1 John 2:6); "By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." (1 John 3:16). "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”" (John 13:34-35); "Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)

(17) Christ is our all!

He gives meaning to our lives. Without Him life is empty and worthless. "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21); "But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;" (Philippians 3:7-9)
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil" - Proverbs 3:5-7

LNC, U. S. Navy
    Retired

My Blog at Wordpress - https://www.hiseternalword.wordpress.com

Thread Information