Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Blunt Betrays Missourians

Roy Blunt Betrays Missourians

Roy Blunt (R-Missouri), a Senator from my state has voted "yes" on the resolution to block the President's emergency declaration. Blunt has become a career politician who doesn't have Missouri's best interest in mind. Claire McCaskill went in 2018, now it's Blunt's turn.
    Last edited by Badger; Mar 21st 2019 at 01:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Roy Blunt Betrays Missourians

I say this as a conservative that wishes all elected officials respect and follow the Constitution -

The Democrats and Republicans that voted to block the emergency declaration as unconstitutional or at the least a vast overreach of power were correct to do so.

We do have an emergency at the border.
    The Wall - more/better security at the border and other ports of entry are badly needed.
    Immigration reform is so long overdo it's become almost criminal that our elected officials still refuse to get it done.

But those things do not and should never override the Constitution and principles of those who are sworn to uphold it. Trump can find other ways to fund the wall and the American people can vote people in to help fix the problems that so desperately need fixing.

What he shouldn't be able to do is negotiate with Congress, not get what he wants and then try to circumvent the will of Congress.
    A National Emergency is intended to be used when Congress hasn't had the time or haven't acted for other reasons not because a president failed to make a deal and get something done.

He's in the wrong here and letting him get away with it will set a horrible precedent. Just my 2 cents worth.

Blog Entries

The most egregious time a president suspended the constitution due to a national emergency, thousands of innocent Japanese were stripped of their constitutional rights, denied due process and thrown into internment camps. By a democrat.

EO# 9066 - FDR

We either uphold the constitution in ALL of its intent and proscribed processes no matter who is president or we abandon it altogether.

Choose one.

Blog Entries

Two things.

1. I agree with what you wrote. How do you fell about this particular circumstance?

2. How were you able to edit your post?
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

The Attorney General defended the President's declaration saying it's completely lawful. I haven't seen the President trying to do anything to anyone who's innocent. Sneaking into the country is illegal regardless of your intentions. It's up the US to decide who comes in, not anyone who decides they want to sneak in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    The Attorney General defended the President's declaration saying it's completely lawful.
    AG's have been totally wrong before. See Eric Holder & Loretta Lynch as two very good examples.
    I'm just saying that an AG's word on a matter isn't the be all end all when it comes to these kinds of things.

I haven't seen the President trying to do anything to anyone who's innocent. Sneaking into the country is illegal regardless of your intentions. It's up the US to decide who comes in, not anyone who decides they want to sneak in.
    I 100% agree with you on this.
    Doesn't change the fact that this National Emergency Declaration is a vast overreach of power and, from what I understand, unconstitutional. It will be very interesting to see what the Supreme Court has to say about it - if it gets that far.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Sneaking into the country is illegal regardless of your intentions.
    Not true.

USCS.gov:

To be considered for asylum within the United States, you must:

• Be physically present in the United States, regardless of how you arrived,
    • Be in the United States less than one year from the date of your last arrival, and
    • Demonstrate that you have suffered persecution or that you have a well-founded fear that you will suffer persecution on account of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group.

If you are not eligible for asylum, you might be eligible for withholding of removal, which prevents the U.S. government from sending you to your home country during the time that your life or freedom may be threatened. Unlike a request for asylum, you can ask for withholding of removal even if more than one year has passed since your last date of arrival to the United States.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Not true.
    That only deals with those who legally ask for asylum. Not those who overstay work visa's or just illegally sneak in and stay - which is the majority of our illegal aliens/illegal.

The word "Illegal" in the name means just that, yeah?
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    That only deals with those who legally ask for asylum.
    Correct, and you can apply legally by crossing the border unannounced - which is what most people seem to mean when they say "illegal."

Blog Entries

[/QUOTE]Correct, and you can apply legally by crossing the border unannounced - [/QUOTE]

And have very little chance of actually being granted asylum. Being granted refugee status depends on the person seeking asylum proving persecution via torture, discrimination, threats of injury or death and that the persecution was because of race, nationality, religion, political opinion, or participation in a particular social group.

Just saying that things are tough because you're poor or dangerous because of fighting/turmoil in your country so you crossed the border illegally doesn't cut it.

[/QUOTE]- which is what most people seem to mean when they say "illegal."[/QUOTE]

I've no idea where you get this idea from. An illegal
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Grrr.

An illegal immigrant violates our laws when they enter the country - illegally. Period. The only way to legally enter is to go through the immigration process or show up at a point of entry and request asylum.

OR

Apply for asylum - after - you've illegally overstayed a work visa or illegally immigrated.

The only ones not committing a criminal act ( and thus being deemed illegal ) are those who go through the immigration process or request asylum at a border check point.
    Even those who illegally enter can be granted asylum and then not be prosecuted if it's granted. But again, it's really not that easy and you really do have some big hurdles to jump and have a looong wait for an immigration court to hear your case.

That's why most don't even attempt it.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

The only ones not committing a criminal act ( and thus being deemed illegal ) are those who go through the immigration process or request asylum at a border check point.
    Or apply for asylum within a year of physically crossing the border, with provisions for people who apply even after a year.

Even those who illegally enter can be granted asylum and then not be prosecuted if it's granted.
    Then they did not enter "illegally" if the court determines they had a valid reason. When the wall is built, it will still be legal to scale it at night and enter the country in these circumstances. Being inside the country is a requirement for asylum.

Blog Entries

Which is why in my last post I wrote

Even those who illegally enter can be granted asylum and then not be prosecuted if it's granted.
    It doesn't mean that they didn't illegally enter the country or overstay a visa it just means that they are granted asylum ( if it's granted ) and so it's not prosecuted or just ignored in a legal sense.

An illegal act is an illegal act. It's up to the courts to decide how it will be handled depending on circumstances.

But all of this is distracting from the point of the thread isn't it? How do you feel about the thread topic and or my posts about it?
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

How do you feel about the thread topic and or my posts about it?
    I'm not from Missouri but I agree with everything you said in #2.

As I understand it, the President's power to declare a national emergency comes from the National Emergencies Act of 1976. Isn't the real question whether he is in violation of some provision therein? I agree it would be unconstitutional to side-step Congress unless doing so had been authorized previously by an act of Congress itself.

Thread Information