Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jesus is YHWH verses

Jesus is YHWH verses

I am starting this thread in Bible Chat, so that it can be reviewed by a broader membership of the forum.

What has inspired me to do it, is several threads in the special 'Areopagus subforum' where several threads questioning the Trinity and deity of Christ are being discussed.

Two simple tips can be used, by anyone, to do some of this study, with just a plain NKJV English bible. (Other translations also support this, but I specifically remember the NKJV does this).

In the Old Testament (OT) any time the name YHWH is used, the NKJV (and most English bibles) render it in English as 'LORD' (all caps). Mixed case 'Lord' would be referring to a different Hebrew word besides YHWH.

Also, in the New Testament (NT), any time a phrase or verse is listed, that is a quote of an OT phrase or verse, the verse in the NT is presented in quotes and italics (in printed bibles, not always in online bibles). (example):

OT YHWH specific passages.

Isaiah 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD[YHWH], make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD[YHWH] shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it"

Joel 2:32 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD[YHWH] shall be delivered: as he LORD[YHWH]hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. "

Isaiah 41:4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD[YHWH], the first, and with the last; I am he.
    Isaiah 44:6 Thus saith the LORD[YHWH] the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD[YHWH]of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
    Isaiah 48:12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

Zechariah 12:8 "In that day shall the LORD[YHWH] defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them. And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced"

Isaiah 45:21 "have not I the LORD[YHWH]? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. "

Isaiah 8:13 Sanctify the LORD[YHWH] of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.

Isaiah 28:16 "Therefore thus saith the LORD[YHWH] God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste."

NT Jesus specific passages, telling us Jesus is YHWH of the OT

Luke 3:2 "(Jesus ) the word of God came unto John the son of Zachariah in the wilderness. And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins; As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth; And all flesh shall see the salvation of God."

Romans 9:27, 10:9 9:27 Isaiah also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. "

Revelation 1:17 "And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen"
    Revelation 2:8 "These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;"
    Revelation 22:12 "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. "

John 19:36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken. And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced. "

Philippians 2:10 "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord"

I Peter 2:5 "Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble "

Acts 4:10 "Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. "

Matthew 20:17 "The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner? Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. "

The NT writers, new the OT scriptures; and they chose to say that Jesus was YHWH, by applying the OT passages about YHWH to Jesus Christ.
    Either it was blasphemy and the N.T. should be rejected, or it is truth and should be accepted.

Let the reader decide, as the Holy Spirit leads unto all understanding.

Re: Verses in the NT where Jesus is specifically named as YHWH

Awesome post. I never made that clear connection before. Man, I just love it! This is the passage that convinced me they were the same:

John 8:56-59
    56 "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." 57 So the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" 58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." 59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple.
    NASU

Jesus was saying that Abraham saw His day. (I believe Abraham saw it on the way up the mountain to offer his son when he said "The Lord will provide Himself a Lamb". Also this passage points out that Jesus was the one in the burning bush that spoke to Moses.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Awesome post. I never made that clear connection before. Man, I just love it! This is the passage that convinced me they were the same:

John 8:56-59
    56 "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." 57 So the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" 58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." 59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple.
    NASU

Jesus was saying that Abraham saw His day. (I believe Abraham saw it on the way up the mountain to offer his son when he said "The Lord will provide Himself a Lamb". Also this passage points out that Jesus was the one in the burning bush that spoke to Moses.
    Hooah! OT and NT, when the use of "I Am" is utilized, this is revealing that the speaker is existing in the "now" and that time means nothing. Yesterday, "I Am," before creation, "I Am," tomorrow, "I Am," 200 years from now, "I Am." The same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. No beginning/no end (Alpha/Omega), First and Last etc.

"I Am," always is.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Hooah! OT and NT, when the use of "I Am" is utilized, this is revealing that the speaker is existing in the "now" and that time means nothing. Yesterday, "I Am," before creation, "I Am," tomorrow, "I Am," 200 years from now, "I Am." The same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. No beginning/no end (Alpha/Omega), First and Last etc.

"I Am," always is.
    Aside from the Abraham 'I AM' passage, where Jesus identified Himself as the "I AM" who spoke to Moses, that the pharisees wanted to stone Him for saying, my favorite "I AM" passage is this one.

John 8:23
    "And Jesus said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I AM from above: ye are of this world; I AM not of this world.
    I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM he, ye shall die in your sins. "

Very powerful statement by Jesus to be YHWH, the Almighty, I AM that I AM.

Here are some other I AM verses....also one specifically where Jesus calls Himself the Almighty.....

Rev 01:08 "I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
    Rev 01:11 "I AM Alpha and Omega, the first and the last"
    Rev 01:17 "Fear not; I AM the first and the last: I AM he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I AM alive for evermore, Amen"
    Rev 02:08 "These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive"
    Rev 21:06 "I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." (love this ref back to Jesus' prior living water offers He made while incarnate back in John 4 and 7)
    Rev 22:12 "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. "

Those who reject the divinity of Christ cannot accept this testimony; it is unbreakable; and it also shows without question, the subject is Jesus, (not the Father); because twice it tells us the speaker was dead, then alive forevermore.
    The Father didn't die and resurrection; only Jesus.

Yet in these powerful verses, we see Jesus as the IAM, the Almighty, and the First and the Last (OT Isaiah repeatedly applies this title only to YHWH)

The power in these verses is igniting my spirit for the Hallelujah chorus!!

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Aside from the Abraham 'I AM' passage, where Jesus identified Himself as the "I AM" who spoke to Moses, that the pharisees wanted to stone Him for saying, my favorite "I AM" passage is this one.

John 8:23
    "And Jesus said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I AM from above: ye are of this world; I AM not of this world.
    I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM he, ye shall die in your sins. "

Very powerful statement by Jesus to be YHWH, the Almighty, I AM that I AM.

Here are some other I AM verses....also one specifically where Jesus calls Himself the Almighty.....

Rev 01:08 "I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
    Rev 01:11 "I AM Alpha and Omega, the first and the last"
    Rev 01:17 "Fear not; I AM the first and the last: I AM he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I AM alive for evermore, Amen"
    Rev 02:08 "These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive"
    Rev 21:06 "I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." (love this ref back to Jesus' prior living water offers He made while incarnate back in John 4 and 7)
    Rev 22:12 "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. "

Those who reject the divinity of Christ cannot accept this testimony; it is unbreakable; and it also shows without question, the subject is Jesus, (not the Father); because twice it tells us the speaker was dead, then alive forevermore.
    The Father didn't die and resurrection; only Jesus.

Yet in these powerful verses, we see Jesus as the IAM, the Almighty, and the First and the Last (OT Isaiah repeatedly applies this title only to YHWH)

The power in these verses is igniting my spirit for the Hallelujah chorus!!
    YES! The John 8:23+ verses! I've mentioned them in other threads over the years when people state Jesus is "created" and did not exist BEFORE His birth. What they want is a created savior and what they get is a created savior and that savior being only an idol... it is AS Jesus states, they believe NOT and will die in their sin. The Holy Spirit cannot renew the mind of a person who only fills their mind with a false created jesus, thus they remain BLIND to Christ as God, as the Lord God and Savior of any who believe "UNTO" Him ONLY!

Lately I've been raising the Rev 1, 21, and 22 verses proving that Jesus has no beginning and has always existed and hard hearts reject the "in-your-face" truth of those verses. Such only reveals the blindness and rejection of the Lord God Jesus as choice of an idol, created jesus is clung too.

Acts 2:34 NKJV
    “For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:

‘The LORD said to my Lord,
    “Sit at My right hand,

TR - Εἶπεν ὁ κύριος τῷ κυρίῳ μου Κάθου ἐκ δεξιῶν μου
    LXX Ps 110 - εἶπεν ὁ κύριος τῷ κυρίῳ μου κάθου ἐκ δεξιῶν μου

English of the Hebrew KJV - The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand

How should the 2 lords there be understood?

In the Hebrew, did YHWH say to YHWH?

Forgot can't edit. Was just asking for ya'll's thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by percho View Post
    Acts 2:34 NKJV
    “For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:

‘The LORD said to my Lord,
    “Sit at My right hand,

TR - Εἶπεν ὁ κύριος τῷ κυρίῳ μου Κάθου ἐκ δεξιῶν μου
    LXX Ps 110 - εἶπεν ὁ κύριος τῷ κυρίῳ μου κάθου ἐκ δεξιῶν μου

English of the Hebrew KJV - The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand

How should the 2 lords there be understood?

In the Hebrew, did YHWH say to YHWH?
    If I remember right, in the Hebrew, it is:

"YHWH said to ADONAI......"

In that passage...whereas the Greek says "Kurios said to Kurios...."

Why is everything hints and hidden? Why couldn't a verse in Deuteronomy or whatever just say "Yo guys, some guy named Jesus is going to come and die for the sins of mankind"?

And why is the stuff that is explicit all of a sudden metaphorical? "I know the bible says there's going to be a third temple, but it's a person and not a physical temple. Oh, and all those verses about the exiles being gathered? It means spiritually gathered not physically gathered".

Close, it says "YHVH said to Adoni"

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Why is everything hints and hidden? Why couldn't a verse in Deuteronomy or whatever just say "Yo guys, some guy named Jesus is going to come and die for the sins of mankind"?

And why is the stuff that is explicit all of a sudden metaphorical? "I know the bible says there's going to be a third temple, but it's a person and not a physical temple. Oh, and all those verses about the exiles being gathered? It means spiritually gathered not physically gathered".
    “And when He was alone, they that were about Him with the twelve asked of Him the parable. And He said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God, but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables.

“Jesus said, That seeing they may see, and not perceived: and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted and their sins should be forgiven them.” Mark 4:10-13

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post

1cor 2
    6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; 7 but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; 8 the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory;

9 but just as it is written,
    “Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
    And which have not entered the heart of man,
    All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Oh I don't know, maybe for the same reason the Apostle Paul said, "Yo guys, don't you realize that if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those dudes who are perishing because that guy in the red suit who deems himself god has blinded their noodle so they can't see the flood lights of the gospel. " 2 Corinthians 4:3,4.

IN GOD THE SON,
    maverick

In that passage...whereas the Greek says "Kurios said to Kurios...."
    correct that is the way it reads

Blog Entries

Some other verses which would make the NT clearly blasphemous if not true:

I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior [...] Thus says the LORD, the King and Redeemer of Israel, the LORD of Hosts: "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God but Me." [...] For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior [...] I am the LORD; that is My name! I will not give My glory to another or My praise to idols. (from Isaiah 42-44)
    Yet I am the LORD your God ever since the land of Egypt; you know no God but Me, for there is no Savior besides Me. (Hosea 13)

Compared to:

Our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. (Philippians 3)
    But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. (2 Peter 3)
    For this reason Christ died and returned to life, so that He might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. (Romans 10)
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End [...] I, Jesus. (Revelation 22)
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Thread Information