Thread: Our body is on loan from God

Our body is on loan from God

It was brought to my attention last year via a religious television station in New Zealand that in the bible it says because Jesus died on the cross that our body is on loan from God and to look after it. I lost the place and can not find it.

It is somewhere in the middle of the new testament. even with my word search it will not show, it could be 1st or 2nd Corinthians but dont let me push you in the wrong direction.

Blog Entries

Re: Our body is on loan from God

Here's 1 Corinthians 6:12-20:

Flee Sexual Immorality

12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. 13 “Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined[d] to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” 17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. 18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin[e] a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
    ".....it's your nickel"

thank you for your work jayne
    Just one thing wrong it must be somewhere else as well, the part I saw did not have any "sexual" bit to it. and it only took up 1 or 2 verses

maybe I am searching the wrong version of the bible and using the wrong word to search

will that was a waste of time, what I saw did NOT have any sexual reference to it

Blog Entries

Maybe this rings a bell:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. (Romans 12:1)

Also a similar idea in chapter 6:

We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin [...] Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness [...] But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. (Romans 6)

I can't think of anywhere that says something along the lines of "looking after your body." This just seems like a Christianism that gets repeated a lot, like "God helps those who help themselves" - which is not actually in the Bible either.

Thread Information