Page 1 of 17 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 252

Thread: Seven year tribulation period

  1. #1

    Seven year tribulation period

    I was taught many years ago it is not wise to base a doctrine on one verse.
    It seems that the coming seven year tribulation period in only based on Daniel 9:27.
    Can anyone give me Scripture, other than Daniel 9:27, that teaches a coming seven year tribulation period?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,744

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    I was taught many years ago it is not wise to base a doctrine on one verse.
    It seems that the coming seven year tribulation period in only based on Daniel 9:27.
    Can anyone give me Scripture, other than Daniel 9:27, that teaches a coming seven year tribulation period?
    Hello and welcome to the Forum. I hope it profits you.

    You are correct. Don't base a doctrine on one verse. The Great Tribulation is 3 years, 42 months, 1260 days and/or "a time, times and half a time". Daniel 9:27 is the total time that the Beast reigns but he only stops the oblation and sets himself up in the Temple after "half the Seven". It is this action that starts the Great Tribulation. Matthew 24:15-21.

    15 "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand)
    ...
    21 For THEN shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7,555
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Forum. I hope it profits you.

    You are correct. Don't base a doctrine on one verse. The Great Tribulation is 3 years, 42 months, 1260 days and/or "a time, times and half a time". Daniel 9:27 is the total time that the Beast reigns but he only stops the oblation and sets himself up in the Temple after "half the Seven". It is this action that starts the Great Tribulation. Matthew 24:15-21.

    15 "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand)
    ...
    21 For THEN shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be."
    I second that. It's the way I see it too.

  4. #4

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Forum. I hope it profits you.

    You are correct. Don't base a doctrine on one verse. The Great Tribulation is 3 years, 42 months, 1260 days and/or "a time, times and half a time". Daniel 9:27 is the total time that the Beast reigns but he only stops the oblation and sets himself up in the Temple after "half the Seven". It is this action that starts the Great Tribulation. Matthew 24:15-21.

    15 "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand)
    ...
    21 For THEN shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be."
    But are you are saying that their is still a seven year event coming?

    What Scripture other than Daniel 9:27 is this based on?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    4,717
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    I was taught many years ago it is not wise to base a doctrine on one verse.
    It seems that the coming seven year tribulation period in only based on Daniel 9:27.
    Can anyone give me Scripture, other than Daniel 9:27, that teaches a coming seven year tribulation period?
    Hi Dayle and welcome to the forum.

    Anytime that there is no New testament backing of a prophecy from the Old Testament there is a reason for it and that is most likely because it was fulfilled in the Old Testament times.

    First of all there is no 7 year tribulation mentioned anywhere is the bible. We also have to ask ourselves does God want a future temple built and sacrifices reestablished since He put a stop to them back in 70AD by allowing the temple to be destroyed because Jesus fulfilled everything the temple stood for?

    If a future temple will be built it will not be Gods temple but mans as we the church are now Gods temple. Thus if a future antichrist did desecrate a future temple it would not matter to God.

    Daniel 9:27
    27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.

    The above verse only mentions a 7 year covenant nothing about a tribulation time period. It also mentions that the sacrifice will be stopped at the temple. Twice this has happened after the time Daniel wrote this verse and only once did one person stop it and that was Antiochus Epiphanies back in 167 BC.

    Around the time of 170/1 B.C. Onias 3rd is murdered (cut off and has nothing) he was the last of the Zadokite priesthood which was the start of the 70th week.

    In 167 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th desecrates the temple way through the 70th week. The abomination that caused desolation.

    In 164 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th dies and the temple sacrifice is reestablished the end of the 70th week. (the end is poured out on him)

    We have to ask ourselves who would the Jews living at that time think Daniel was writing about as Daniel was writing to the Jews and not to us?

    I believe that the 70th week was fulfilled at this time as history matches exactly what Daniel prophesied

  6. #6

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    It's inferred from Daniel 9:27 but I don't believe there's a verse which states it outright. For the first 3 1/2 years his true identity will be concealed; although, anyone who's paying attention will take note of the "covenant" which he makes for one week. After 3 1/2 years he'll take his seat in the Temple, proclaiming himself as God. He'll be given 3 1/2 more years after that.

    During the first 3 /12 years there will be tribulation. See Matthew 24, the first 15 verses describe the first 3 1/2 years.

  7. #7

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Hi Dayle and welcome to the forum.

    Anytime that there is no New testament backing of a prophecy from the Old Testament there is a reason for it and that is most likely because it was fulfilled in the Old Testament times.

    First of all there is no 7 year tribulation mentioned anywhere is the bible. We also have to ask ourselves does God want a future temple built and sacrifices reestablished since He put a stop to them back in 70AD by allowing the temple to be destroyed because Jesus fulfilled everything the temple stood for?

    If a future temple will be built it will not be Gods temple but mans as we the church are now Gods temple. Thus if a future antichrist did desecrate a future temple it would not matter to God.

    Daniel 9:27
    27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.

    The above verse only mentions a 7 year covenant nothing about a tribulation time period. It also mentions that the sacrifice will be stopped at the temple. Twice this has happened after the time Daniel wrote this verse and only once did one person stop it and that was Antiochus Epiphanies back in 167 BC.

    Around the time of 170/1 B.C. Onias 3rd is murdered (cut off and has nothing) he was the last of the Zadokite priesthood which was the start of the 70th week.

    In 167 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th desecrates the temple way through the 70th week. The abomination that caused desolation.

    In 164 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th dies and the temple sacrifice is reestablished the end of the 70th week. (the end is poured out on him)

    We have to ask ourselves who would the Jews living at that time think Daniel was writing about as Daniel was writing to the Jews and not to us?

    I believe that the 70th week was fulfilled at this time as history matches exactly what Daniel prophesied
    I disagree---
    I believe that the last 1335 days that Daniel 12 speaks of is a future event, and is the completion of the 70th week, with the ministry of Jesus, offering Himself to Israel as the Messiah, being the first 1185 days of that 70th week.

    The cosmic events and the killing of most of the earth's population is yet future.
    There are no historic records of such mass chaos and death that is mentioned in Revelation.

  8. #8

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It's inferred from Daniel 9:27 but I don't believe there's a verse which states it outright. For the first 3 1/2 years his true identity will be concealed; although, anyone who's paying attention will take note of the "covenant" which he makes for one week. After 3 1/2 years he'll take his seat in the Temple, proclaiming himself as God. He'll be given 3 1/2 more years after that.
    So we are building a doctrine on one verse and assumptions?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,744

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    But are you are saying that their is still a seven year event coming?

    What Scripture other than Daniel 9:27 is this based on?
    I take the last "seven" of 70 sevens from the plain words of Daniel 9:24-27 but make no doctrine out of it. The doctrine is that this "seven" is divided in half, the last 1260 days of it being the Great Tribulation (Daniel 7:25, 12:7; Revelation 11:2-3, 12:6-7, 14, 13:5). The grand type (from which we also don't make doctrine, but enjoy enlightenment) is God's judgement on Israel at Elijah's time and the length of the ministry of our Lord Jesus, which was Israel's crisis. But I am also aware that this prophecy has little bearing on me. I am not one of "Daniel's People".

    Are you unsure that Daniel's last "seven" is seven?

  10. #10

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    I'm not building a doctrine but a working theory which seems to make sense.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,744

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    I disagree---
    I believe that the last 1335 days that Daniel 12 speaks of is a future event, and is the completion of the 70th week, with the ministry of Jesus, offering Himself to Israel as the Messiah, being the first 1185 days of that 70th week.

    The cosmic events and the killing of most of the earth's population is yet future.
    There are no historic records of such mass chaos and death that is mentioned in Revelation.
    For your understanding of the bold, which two scriptures do you proffer?

  12. #12

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    I take the last "seven" of 70 sevens from the plain words of Daniel 9:24-27 but make no doctrine out of it. The doctrine is that this "seven" is divided in half, the last 1260 days of it being the Great Tribulation (Daniel 7:25, 12:7; Revelation 11:2-3, 12:6-7, 14, 13:5). The grand type (from which we also don't make doctrine, but enjoy enlightenment) is God's judgement on Israel at Elijah's time and the length of the ministry of our Lord Jesus, which was Israel's crisis. But I am also aware that this prophecy has little bearing on me. I am not one of "Daniel's People".

    Are you unsure that Daniel's last "seven" is seven?
    Doctrine means truth.
    Seven means seven.
    But it seems many want to say that time was suspended after 69 weeks with the 70th week yet future.
    I see the ministry of Jesus as the Messiah being the first part of the 70th week.
    At the crucifixion of the Messiah, time was suspended with 1335 days of the 70th week remaining to be fulfilled.
    This final 1335 days will began with the identification of the anti-Christ that will happen when he stand up alive after the wound unto death.

  13. #13

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I'm not building a doctrine but a working theory which seems to make sense.
    So am I brother.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    4,717
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    I disagree---
    I believe that the last 1335 days that Daniel 12 speaks of is a future event, and is the completion of the 70th week, with the ministry of Jesus, offering Himself to Israel as the Messiah, being the first 1185 days of that 70th week.

    The cosmic events and the killing of most of the earth's population is yet future.
    There are no historic records of such mass chaos and death that is mentioned in Revelation.
    Jesus has already offered Himself as the Messiah to the Jews and most of them rejected and killed Him for it.

    There was a time period between the death of Antiochus and the reestablishment of the temple sacrifice.

    The reason the angle Gabriel gave the prophecy of the 70 weeks was for the answering of Daniels prayer in the first section of Daniel chapter 9

    Daniel 9:17-23
    17 “Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant. For your sake, Lord, look with favor on your desolate sanctuary. 18 Give ear, our God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. 19 Lord, listen! Lord, forgive! Lord, hear and act! For your sake, my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name.”
    The Seventy “Sevens”

    20 While I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel and making my request to the Lord my God for his holy hill— 21 while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice. 22 He instructed me and said to me, “Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. 23 As soon as you began to pray, a word went out, which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed. Therefore, consider the word and understand the vision:


    The reason Daniel was praying was praying was because he knew that Jeremiahs 70 year prophecy was coming to an end and the Jews were still not repenting thus Daniel was praying for mercy.

    Daniel 9:1-14
    In the first year of Darius son of Xerxes[a] (a Mede by descent), who was made ruler over the Babylonian[b] kingdom— 2 in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures, according to the word of the Lord given to Jeremiah the prophet, that the desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years. 3 So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.

    4 I prayed to the Lord my God and confessed:

    “Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, 5 we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws. 6 We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes and our ancestors, and to all the people of the land.

    7 “Lord, you are righteous, but this day we are covered with shame—the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, both near and far, in all the countries where you have scattered us because of our unfaithfulness to you. 8 We and our kings, our princes and our ancestors are covered with shame, Lord, because we have sinned against you. 9 The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him; 10 we have not obeyed the Lord our God or kept the laws he gave us through his servants the prophets. 11 All Israel has transgressed your law and turned away, refusing to obey you.

    “Therefore the curses and sworn judgments written in the Law of Moses, the servant of God, have been poured out on us, because we have sinned against you. 12 You have fulfilled the words spoken against us and against our rulers by bringing on us great disaster. Under the whole heaven nothing has ever been done like what has been done to Jerusalem. 13 Just as it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come on us, yet we have not sought the favor of the Lord our God by turning from our sins and giving attention to your truth. 14 The Lord did not hesitate to bring the disaster on us, for the Lord our God is righteous in everything he does; yet we have not obeyed him.

    God answered Daniel and so the 70 years would become 70 weeks of prophecy.

    Again Daniel chapter 9 is for the Jews back before the first advent not for us gentiles today.

    My explanation here is fully backed by Daniels words in the bible

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    4,717
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Seven year tribulation period

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    For your understanding of the bold, which two scriptures do you proffer?
    I use to believe in this until I realized that neither Jesus or any New testament writer confirmed Jesus fulfilling any part of the 70 weeks and this would not be missed especially in the book of Matthew (as he wrote to the Jews) as the New testament is full of Jesus fulfilling prophecies for the Old Testament proving Jesus to be the Messiah.

    The times of the Maccabees in history match the events of the 70 weeks.

    The 70 years became 70 weeks of foreign control. They would go back and rebuild Jerusalem but not as free people but under foreign control.

    70 weeks are 490 years of prophecy.

    605 B.C. The start of the 70 weeks Daniel and the Jews are taken into captivity . (time goes backwards from the time of Daniel vision)

    587 B.C. Jerusalem is destroyed by Babylon the start of the 7 weeks (runs parallel to some of the 62 weeks)

    170/1 B.C. Onias 3rd is murdered (cut off and has nothing) the second anointed one the last of the Zadokite priesthood which was the start of the 70th week.

    538 B.C. King Cyrus issues a decree to go and rebuild Jerusalem and Joshua (the first anointed one who comes) goes back to rebuild Jerusalem. The end of the 7 weeks which was 49 years. The decree is the key to know and understand the 70 weeks. The decree would trigger the understanding of the time line of the vision.

    167 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th desecrates the temple way through the 70th week. The abomination that caused desolation.

    164/3 B.C. Antiochus Epiphanies 4th dies and the temple sacrifice is reestablished the end of the 70th week. (the end is poured out on him)

    War continued during and until the end of the 70th week

    The purposes of the 70 weeks were fulfilled by the Jews who remained loyal to God and resisted apostasy.

    605 B.C.-171 B.C. 62 weeks or 434 years

    587 B.C.-538 B.C. 7 weeks or 49 years

    170/1 B.C.-164/3 B.C. 70th week or 7 years

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Apr 7th 2017, 04:28 AM
  2. 7 year tribulation
    By rom826 in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: Jun 3rd 2015, 08:31 AM
  3. Question About the 7-Year Tribulation Period (moved from BC)
    By mom_of_four in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar 4th 2011, 05:38 PM
  4. 7 Year Period Verses
    By Whitey in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul 29th 2009, 06:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •