Thread: A heart to know God - Digging Spiritual Wells

A heart to know God - Digging Spiritual Wells

A friend of mine, posted this devotional on youtube and I found it to be wonderful! The teacher uses Ps. 84:5-7 as a text.

Ps 84:5 How blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
    In whose heart are the highways to Zion!
    6 Passing through the valley of Baca they make it a spring;
    The early rain also covers it with blessings.
    7 They go from strength to strength,
    Every one of them appears before God in Zion.

He expounds on the believer who has it in his heart, to get to Zion where God dwells.
    He expounds on the valley of Baca (weeping) and how we can dig a well to get through that valley.
    Then he expounds on going from strength to strength and how God reveals Himself to us and shows Himself mighty in our behalf.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. (The teacher gives a bit of testimony before he starts the devotional.)

Re: A heart to know God - Digging Spiritual Wells

Some of the highlights in this for me were...

1. It is in the heart of some to get to God.

Ps 84:5 How blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
    In whose heart are the highways to Zion!

2. These folks dig wells in the valley of weeping.

Ps 84:6a Passing through the valley of Baca they make it a spring;

3. God takes that well, and pours even more refreshing water in it.

Ps 84:6b The early rain also covers it with blessings.

4. They are able to persevere because of the wells and do so in the strenght of the Lord.

Ps 84:7a They go from strength to strength,

5. God promises that they will see Him.

Ps 84:7b Every one of them appears before God in Zion. (Some ancient manuscripts say "The God of gods will be seen in Zion")
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

I left off the most important part for me. The highlight of highlights! Zion was first called Zion after David took it. The enemy was fortified in the city and mocked David saying even the "lame and blind" could defend it from David. But God revealed Himself as mighty to David at Zion and God dwelled there with David. And to think God still does this for us!!!!!
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I left off the most important part for me. The highlight of highlights! Zion was first called Zion after David took it. The enemy was fortified in the city and mocked David saying even the "lame and blind" could defend it from David. But God revealed Himself as mighty to David at Zion and God dwelled there with David. And to think God still does this for us!!!!!

love the posts bro...keep em comin.

I have just a thought here regarding Zion. And following the thing you've said here about Zion being called Zion first when things were given to David.....just the thought, where is David's throne located?

“For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
    **Acts‬ *2:25-36‬ *KJV‬‬

do you think maybe Zion, biblically is the name of the heavenly Jerusalem where Christ is seated on the right hand of God?

actually asking what you think, I've never thought about it, what you noticed there sort of got me thinking.

there's a lot of other scripture I'm thinking of right now to support the idea, I was just wondering your thoughts, I love the post, sorry to get off course here....from what I've read of your posts, I respect your thoughts is why I'm asking brother....

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    love the posts bro...keep em comin.

I have just a thought here regarding Zion. And following the thing you've said here about Zion being called Zion first when things were given to David.....just the thought, where is David's throne located?

“For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
    **Acts‬ *2:25-36‬ *KJV‬‬

do you think maybe Zion, biblically is the name of the heavenly Jerusalem where Christ is seated on the right hand of God?

actually asking what you think, I've never thought about it, what you noticed there sort of got me thinking.

there's a lot of other scripture I'm thinking of right now to support the idea, I was just wondering your thoughts, I love the post, sorry to get off course here....from what I've read of your posts, I respect your thoughts is why I'm asking brother....
    Your post is interesting. I am not that up to speed on the end time ramifications. But I will tell you what I think about how it applies to us today.

Our throne is indeed inward. And when we get off of it, and give it to the Lord, He shows Himself mighty in our behalf through deliverance. He makes Himself known to us there. We have a personal Zion where God dwells in us and His presence goes with us everywhere. This is a place where God does sit on a throne, though it is not the heavenly throne. I suppose He may call it Zion there too.

Thanks for the input!
    NASU

Here's another short devotional on "How to walk through the valleys".

NASU

Thank you, Brother Mark for posting these two. I listened to the first one on Psalm 84 a couple of days ago and listened to the 2nd one just now. My perspective was changed so drastically after hearing it, I don't think my life will ever be the same. The enemy is always scheming against us, taking us away from that which we should be clinging too constantly. He wants us to be so ineffective for Christ, that we are disabled from doing anything for His Kingdom.

Anyway, thanks, they both were very enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Thank you, Brother Mark for posting these two. I listened to the first one on Psalm 84 a couple of days ago and listened to the 2nd one just now. My perspective was changed so drastically after hearing it, I don't think my life will ever be the same. The enemy is always scheming against us, taking us away from that which we should be clinging too constantly. He wants us to be so ineffective for Christ, that we are disabled from doing anything for His Kingdom.

Anyway, thanks, they both were very enlightening.
    Thank you for the strong encouragement brother David! They have impacted me strongly as well. Your words of encouragement in this thread are such a blessing to me. I will pass them on to my friend as well. Thank you so much!
    NASU

Here's a third devotional. It's called "Exposing the Enemy's Plans". What methods does the enemy use to get us off track? What does he tempt us with? How do we overcome? He desires to destroy us so that we leave no legacy but God has a greater plan for us.

Grace and peace,

Mark
    NASU

Exposing the enemy's plans... How does he work? He uses different baits (like a fisherman) to get our flesh to go after it. Once our flesh responds, we find out that there's a hook in the bait. We sometimes get caught by the enemy. What then? Well, our next two videos will explain "what then". But the first one, is about God's greats and how they have fallen for the traps of the enemy.

NASU

This one is about how Peter failed greatly. Jesus warned him what was going to happen. Then Jesus advised him on how to avoid it. Then Jesus restored him after it all occurred. Jesus prayed for Peter and He's praying for us too.

NASU

Thread Information