Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Name of the Lord

The Name of the Lord

Question: Why was the name of the Lord changed to Jesus in the translations of the scripture?

Meaning of the name Yeshua: The Lord saves.
    Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Yeshua: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Re: The Name of the Lord

Because Jesus is the Greek translation of Yeshua. It's the same person. "Jesus" is in no way inferior to Yeshua as the Sacred Namers would have us believe. If you need more the video below is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9g3HIXlH4

Of course You have the right to call him by the name Fritz Hermann, but don't expect that he will listen to You.

Actually, I don't have the right to call Him Fritz Hermann because that's not an accurate translation of Yeshua.

Sorry, I was mistaken.
    According to Young's Analytic Concordance to the Bible:
    It says Joshua means "Yah saves."

Quote Originally Posted by David ben Jesse View Post
    Question: Why was the name of the Lord changed to Jesus in the translations of the scripture?

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Yeshua: for he shall save his people from their sins.
    Hebrew name Yeshua

Greek spelling in Greek of the Hebrew Yeshua is Iesous.

(Greek doesn't have a Y).

In Latin the spelling of the Greek Iesous is Iesus.

Old and Middle English spelling of Jesus came from Latin, and is see as Iesus in KJV1611, Coverdale, Wycliffe oldest English bibles.

Elizabethon English droped the I in preference of the J.

Modern English from Elizabethon onward is Jesus.

So because of the lanaguage hops and differences in letters and times, modern English has Jesus and Hebrew has Yeshua.

Had English been translated originally from Hebrew, we would most preveliently call Him Yeshua as the common name; but unfortunately, that is not how the languages for English developed.

Restating, English as a modern language; was not derived and translated from Hebrew.

That is the reason why Jesus is called Jesus in modern English, and not Yeshua.

Modern English was derived from middle and old English; which were derived from latin; which was derived from Greek.

Since the NT was written in Greek; the Greek spelling of the Hebrew name, is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Restating, English as a modern language; was not derived and translated from Hebrew.

That is the reason why Jesus is called Jesus in modern English, and not Yeshua.

Modern English was derived from middle and old English; which were derived from latin; which was derived from Greek.

Since the NT was written in Greek; the Greek spelling of the Hebrew name, is what it is.
    .... and I would like to add, there is a verse in Jeremiah is in Aramaic, nearly seven Chapters of Daniel are in Aramaic, and the New Testament is in Greek because God was addressing Gentiles and that was their language of the time. The rest of the Old Testament is in Hebrew because God was addressing Israel, but at Pentecost "each heard the gospel in his own language". It would seem that the Almighty wants those he is addressing to hear things in their own language. It would seem a contradiction that our esteemed brother said that our Lord Jesus (English) would not hear our prayers if we did not address Him in another tongue. Who is correct? God or David ben Jesse?

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    .... and I would like to add, there is a verse in Jeremiah is in Aramaic, nearly seven Chapters of Daniel are in Aramaic, and the New Testament is in Greek because God was addressing Gentiles and that was their language of the time. The rest of the Old Testament is in Hebrew because God was addressing Israel, but at Pentecost "each heard the gospel in his own language". It would seem that the Almighty wants those he is addressing to hear things in their own language. It would seem a contradiction that our esteemed brother said that our Lord Jesus (English) would not hear our prayers if we did not address Him in another tongue. Who is correct? God or David ben Jesse?
    In this case the word "God" is not correct, because the word does not describe the Most High appropriately.

Blog Entries

Because "Yeshua" is feminine in Greek. I'm absolutely sure He is a man.

If you read the Septuagint, you will notice that "Yehoshua" (Joshua) is translated into Greek using the same format.

As to word meanings, every Hebrew word is based on pictograph and has meaning, and virtually every translation, by default, omits the Hebrew meaning. For example, "Shalom" means more than "peace." This is a linguistic reality.

This is a compromise unless you want to learn Biblical Hebrew. But the English translation is more than sufficient to transmit to the reader that Jesus is Salvation. So other than a nuance, I don't understand what your point is?
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Of course You have the right to call him by the name Fritz Hermann, but don't expect that he will listen to You.
    What? You mean we can only call Him by His Aramaic short-cut of Yehoshua? Do you really think God operates in Aramaic only?
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

In this case the word "God" is not correct, because the word does not describe the Most High appropriately.
    Since you don't have a clue what the proper vowel points are to YHVH, you can't call HaShem correctly either.

A pity you never addressed my arguments. But consider this;

In English, God is given the following definition:

"noun"

1. (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
    2. (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

I would be careful to maintain that the God of the Bible in point #1 is INADEQUATELY DESCRIBED by calling Him;
    1. Creator of the universe
    2. Ruler of the universe
    3. Source of all moral authority
    4. The Supreme Being

Is not the Title "God" all-encompassing in its usage of over 4,600 times in the Bible? "Most High" is a fine Title in its 98 times.

When I was younger, I lived in AZ and long ago, before Mexico became a REALLY dangerous place, my friends and I would go to Mexico. When I stepped over the border into Mexico, my name didn't change. You could call me Juan all day long, but my name is John and that is what I answer to. When I want to refer to *Jesus* although I have been conditioned to use that name, I really want to use the name as Peter or James or John or Mary would and thus, Yeshua. Perhaps it has no distinction with God, but I just think of every verse in which my LORD says 'in MY name' and I think that name and in the authority of that name matters.

Don't want to be argumentative and this is certainly no cause for division within the body; it is merely how I feel led.

Quote Originally Posted by Servant1981 View Post
    When I was younger, I lived in AZ and long ago, before Mexico became a REALLY dangerous place, my friends and I would go to Mexico. When I stepped over the border into Mexico, my name didn't change. You could call me Juan all day long, but my name is John and that is what I answer to. When I want to refer to *Jesus* although I have been conditioned to use that name, I really want to use the name as Peter or James or John or Mary would and thus, Yeshua. Perhaps it has no distinction with God, but I just think of every verse in which my LORD says 'in MY name' and I think that name and in the authority of that name matters.

Don't want to be argumentative and this is certainly no cause for division within the body; it is merely how I feel led.
    I appreciate your sentiments about causing division in the Body. I also am the first to uphold your right to use whichever language to name our Lord Jesus. But may I respectfully point out that Peter, James and John would have spoken Hebrew to our Lord Jesus and thus called His Name in Hebrew. But His Name is recorded in the inspired Word in Greek. Which one should we use? Mary, a Hebrew, called Him something. God, unfettered by language, dictates that Greek should be used to record His Name. But on Pentecost thousands of Jews from the diaspora, who could not speak Hebrew anymore, heard of this man Jesus, who was predicted in Isaiah, but without a name. What name was used when every man heard about Him in their own tongue? If there had been a German Jew there, would he have heard our Lord's name in German, Hebrew or Greek?

Thread Information