Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who were The Sons of God in genesis 6?

Re: Who were The Sons of God in genesis 6?

Quote Originally Posted by TMarcum View Post
    none of that addresses the corruption of all flesh spoken of in gen 6.

Because men's heart and their imaginations are continually evil in the sight of God, addresses the corruption. The same corruption is referenced in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah when God wiped them from the face of the earth for their sins, or the city of Nineveh that God was about to destroy before they repented in sackcloth and ashes as they heeded to the preaching of repentance of Jonah the prophet.

yes sin did enter the world through adam and death with it but the corruption of all flesh in Gen 6 is an altogether different matter.
    In the eyes of God, sin is sin. Sin has always been an issue with God and has to dealt with it. In which case, we have countless examples where God directly dealt with it. We have every example imaginable throughout the old testament, as he destroyed multitudes of the children of Israel, in multiple occasions for their transgressions. One more thing, God is going to deal with it again in the end of times, and it is pointless to say to God, "but the fallen angels of the sons of God made me do it!"

Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations. all have sinned you are right but Noah was perfect in his genes so we know we are not talking about just the curse of death but a corruption of the genes.

Yes, Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations. But do you think this is the reason that God saved Noah and his family? Do you not think there was millions and millions of children and babies alive during this time, and their only sin was being born. Do you know, they were utterly destroyed by this flood? Do you think they were any less perfect than Noah?

Noah found favor in the eyes of God. But it was by God's grace that he saved Noah and his family. Salvation is all about grace.
    yes noah was the only perfect one in that time. all FLESH had been corrupted and not just the flesh but it WAY upon the earth was also corrupted. this is not talking about the curse of death as the curse of death has yet to be lifted and we still reside in that corruption this is talking about the corruption of the genes just as the book says

Quote Originally Posted by equinox View Post
    it has everything to do with the covenant adam was a son of God as he was a direct creation of God. he did not need to be adopted but this is true for no one else of his time. i dont know what makes you think they covenants dont matter. that is the basis for adoption. we are children of God through the covenant of Abraham and jesus so thats what it , period and i can post scriptures to back that up. you however can not post scripture that says covenants dont matter.
    You are still not getting the point are you. No matter the nature of the adoption, it is still man to who the term sons of God is applied, NEVER to angels. Again, show me just one passage of scripture that definitively calls angels sons of God.

Yes, I was being sarcastic to illustrate the ridiculousness of such beliefs. When you rely on books that are not inspired by God, to provide the hidden mysteries of the things that pertain to God, then our going to be mislead. Then you wonder why people come up with all kinds of ridiculous theories about the bible. This is the largest error anyone can make. Put your trust in what the bible says.
    I do, I believe the bible uses the term Son's of God to refer to angels. I don't base my views on what people personally believe is ridiculous as you do. I also don't need any other books, it's just awesome for me that they support my view while yours is nonexistent. But we can leave this discourse here.

Quote Originally Posted by grogers View Post
    You are still doing the same thing. You are assuming the definition of angels where the text does not. Yes, Satan is an angel. This does not demand however, that those identified as sons of God were also angels. It merely says that whoever these sons of God are, Satan came with them. You also seem to be assuming that because Satan and God are having this conversation, this "presentation" of the sons of God is something that is taking place in heaven. This too is not stated in the text. If this scene is taking place in heaven, what could this possibly have to do with Job and why would one automatically assume that Satan must be in heaven for this conversation between Satan and God to take place? You also seem to be laboring under the impression that the presentation of these sons of God can only be the assemblage of angels before Jehovah and you are not considering that there may be another explanation of presentation that is already provided by scripture. Let me explain.

Leviticus defines the terminology for us about one's presentation to Jehovah. If Job is representing a worship scenario of the worshipers of God, then the presence of God is among his worshipers (See the examples of the offering of sacrifices in Exodus 25:22 "There I will meet with you, and from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubim that are on the ark of the testimony, I will speak with you about all that I will give you in commandment for the people of Israel.") This, then, is an earth-bound experience. Clearly, Satan is also present. It does not necessitate that this is taking place in heaven. This is unwarranted conjecture.

The presentation of one's self before God is precisely what those in the Levitical system did who brought their sacrifices to the altar. God told them that when they brought their gifts to the altar, he would meet them there and bless them and forgive their sins. This is indicative of an act of worship. There is no reason that this is not simply referring to the worshipers of God - sons of God who lived in the time of Job. It seems rather obvious that Job is one of these and God points him out to Satan and asks have you considered my servant Job? Would this not seem to better fit the context?
    You have made fatal errors.
    1. Only Aaron is allowed at the Mercy Seat and that, once a year. There is NO "THEM"
    2. Satan would be expressly forbidden to "be among THEM" since he is "profane" (Ezek.28:16)
    3. Job was neither an Israelite nor under the Law
    4. Which sons of God have access to God behind the Veil? For those born of the Holy Spirit the Veil of the Levitical service is rent. Of these sons of God, none existed at Job's time

But now, having been supplied with much evidence, I refer you back to your first posting (#9) in which you so correctly stated that scripture must explain scripture. It is now your turn, using this method, to establish who the sons of God of Genesis 6 are. I am open to learn. To save you some writing, which might later be confounded, I present you already with Genesis 6:1-2, which reads;

1 "And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
    2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."

The "sons of God" could not be "men" because in verse 1 it is already a settled fact that "men" had to go in unto women to produce DAUGHTERS. Secondly, verse 4 indicates that ONLY MEN were born of this union. It is, "the same became MIGHTY MEN" - and "MEN of renown".

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Scripture tells me the Nephilim are men, not demon hybrids.

Gen 6:4 There were giants (Nephilim) in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

here are other scriptures telling us the Nephilim are men not demons or hybrid creatures.

Numbers 13:33 "But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature. 3 And there we saw the giants(Nephilim), the sons of Anak, which come of the giants(Nephilim): and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight. "

Those are the only two passages in scripture that use the term Nephilim.

There are other passages that mention Giants; and Anak and his children. Let's look at them to be thorough; and to see if those verses are harboring demon/hybrids; or simply human men.

Numbers 13:28 "the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there. "

Deut 1:28 Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.

Deut 2:10 The Emims dwelt therein in times past, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; Which also were accounted giants, as the Anakims; but the Moabites called them Emims.

Deut 2:20 " (That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims; A people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims;"

Deut 3:11 For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man. And this land, which we possessed at that time, from Aroer, which is by the river Arnon, and half mount Gilead, and the cities thereof, gave I unto the Reubenites and to the Gadites. And the rest of Gilead, and all Bashan, being the kingdom of Og, gave I unto the half tribe of Manasseh; all the region of Argob, with all Bashan, which was called the land of giants.

(the kingdoms of Og, Gilead, and Bashan, and Argob, (and later the Philistines) were all from other verses, contextually given as kindgoms of men; no mention of them being demon/hybrid creatures)

Deut 9:2 A people great and tall, the children of the Anakims, whom thou knowest, and of whom thou hast heard say, Who can stand before the children of Anak!

Deut 14;15 "Arba(the father of Anak) was a great man among the Anakims"

2 Samuels 21; we see giants again, used to describe the human Philistine warrior people.

2 Samuel 21:16 And Ishbibenob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David. But Abishai the son of Zeruiah succoured him, and smote the Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David sware unto him, saying, Thou shalt go no more out with us to battle, that thou quench not the light of Israel. And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which was of the sons of the giant. And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam. And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant. And when he defied Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimeah the brother of David slew him. 2 These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.

As seen in the context of the 2 passages that mention ‘Nephilim’, and other passages describing giants, the context is always, men, man, people, children, fathers, brothers, etc.

Never mentions of angels or demons or hybrids.

Let the scriptures tell the careful reader ‘who’ the Nephilim are; or specifically as Moses defined them: “men of a great stature”.
    Your posting is comprehensive. Well done. But the issue of the OP was not to establish whether the Giants were angels. That the Giants are men is logical because they were born to women. The Law of Genesis 1:11-12 is thus upheld. And so also our Lord Jesus. The Male part was a SPIRIT, but Jesus was a MAN because He is "Seed of the WOMAN" (see also 1st Corinthians 11:12). Adam is made first. Eve is made out of Adam but is not "seed of Adam". Thereafter EVERY man comes out of a woman. The Giants would therefore be MEN.

Are some saying that angels and the daughters of men produced the Nephilim?

Genesis 6:4
    The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Joshua 14:15
    Now the name of Hebron was formerly Kiriath-arba; for Arba was the greatest man among the Anakim. Then the land had rest from war.

Joshua 15:13
    Now he gave to Caleb the son of Jephunneh a portion among the sons of Judah, according to the command of the Lord to Joshua, namely, Kiriath-arba, Arba being the father of Anak (that is, Hebron).

Arba was a man that fathered the Nephilim, not an angel.

Numbers 13:33
    There also we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak are part of the Nephilim); and we became like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.”
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    You have made fatal errors.
    1. Only Aaron is allowed at the Mercy Seat and that, once a year. There is NO "THEM"
    2. Satan would be expressly forbidden to "be among THEM" since he is "profane" (Ezek.28:16)
    3. Job was neither an Israelite nor under the Law
    4. Which sons of God have access to God behind the Veil? For those born of the Holy Spirit the Veil of the Levitical service is rent. Of these sons of God, none existed at Job's time

But now, having been supplied with much evidence, I refer you back to your first posting in which you so correctly stated that scripture must explain scripture. It is now your turn, using this method, to establish who the sons of God of Genesis 6 are. I am open to learn. To save you some writing, which might later be confounded, I present you already with Genesis 6:1-2, which reads;

1 "And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
    2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."

The "sons of God" could not be "men" because in verse 1 it is already a settled fact that "men" had to go in unto women to produce DAUGHTERS. Secondly, verse 4 indicates that ONLY MEN were born of this union. It is, "the same became MIGHTY MEN" - and "MEN of renown".
    First of all, I never said anything about anyone other than the high priest entering beyond the veil. The blood of all the sacrifices was presented to the Lord by the worshiper when he present it to the officiating priest before the doorway of the tent of meeting, except on the Day of Atonement. Moses presented the people to the Lord when Israel arrived at Sinai. In the same manner, Paul says we are to "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy to God, well-pleasing, which is your reasonable service." Ro, 12:1. Also Moses and Joshua presented themselves to the Lord in the sanctuary in Deut 3114, the Lord commanded Moses that he and Joshua "present yourselves at the tent of meeting, that I may commission him. So, Moses and Joshua went and presented themselves at the tent of meeting." Presentation of one's self before the Lord did not require breeching beyond the second veil.

Do you not understand that Satan is present and active even in the saints? 1 Pet 5:8-9, "Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    Are some saying that angels and the daughters of men produced the Nephilim?

Genesis 6:4
    The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Joshua 14:15
    Now the name of Hebron was formerly Kiriath-arba; for Arba was the greatest man among the Anakim. Then the land had rest from war.

Joshua 15:13
    Now he gave to Caleb the son of Jephunneh a portion among the sons of Judah, according to the command of the Lord to Joshua, namely, Kiriath-arba, Arba being the father of Anak (that is, Hebron).

Arba was a man that fathered the Nephilim, not an angel.

Numbers 13:33
    There also we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak are part of the Nephilim); and we became like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.”
    Good arguments. All you have to do now is show why all the argument FOR the "sons of God" being angels are wrong, and, using scripture to explain scripture, show who actually the "sons of God" in Genesis 6 were. Here's a starting point. Can you show that,
    • Arba was a product of the "sons of God"
    • Anak was a product of the "son of God" (He was, by your own words, a son of a MAN (Adam - Heb.))
    • The "Anakim" were not just a Canaanite race of great stature as geologists maintain (Deut.9:2).

Good arguments. All you have to do now is show why all the argument FOR the "sons of God" being angels are wrong, and, using scripture to explain scripture, show who actually the "sons of God" in Genesis 6 were. Here's a starting point. Can you show that,
    • Anak was a product of the "son of God" (He was, by your own words, a son of a MAN (Adam - Heb.))
    • The "Anakim" were not just a Canaanite race of great stature as geologists maintain (Deut.9:2).
    You have been shown many scriptures that describe them as men. Perhaps you could provide us with a scripture that says they are angels.

Blog Entries

Here is the issue with Gen 6. Since the text does not specifically tell us that those 'sons of God' are angels we are left with no alternative but to apply a definition to 'sons of God.' The question is, what definition do we assign to the 'sons of God'? There are only two possibilities for assigning meaning - human imagination or scripture. If we assign angelic beings to this term we must then find where scripture itself assigns such a definition to 'sons of God'. We see repeated passages where 'sons of God' is used to describe men as the subject both in the old and new testament, but there is no text that ever defines angels in this way. The only possible passage that may indicate that this refers to angels is Job 38:6-7 but even this is inconclusive because the text does not mention angels. Scripture must ALWAYS be allowed to define its own use of language. We are not free to assign our own definitions to biblical terms.

Insisting that these are angels and could not possibly be anything else makes a number of unwarranted assumptions. This assumes that the term 'sons of god' must only refer to angels in Gen 6. It assumes that the angels which were cast down from heaven were cast down upon the earth. It assumes that if they were cast down upon the earth that they assumed human form. It assumes that if they took human form they became sexual creatures. It assumes that they were sufficiently genetically compatible with human DNA to produce offspring. It assumes that the appearance of the giants in the land can only be explained through this quantum leap of conjecture, none of which is supported by any biblical text. This was simply a matter of human genetics, nothing more. There is nothing in scripture to suggest that angels can reproduce after any fashion much less reproduce the human gene code. In fact, Jesus tells us that angels neither marry nor are they given in marriage. Since this is true, it is quite presumptuous to read Gen. 6:2 and insist that angels did precisely what Jesus said they do not do. The term sons of God must be understood according to the pattern of its usage in scripture. Every other time this phrase is used, it refers to man. That being true, by what rule of interpretation does one assign some other definition to this term?
    Think of these "sons of God" demonic angels INDWELLING humans which then in turn had offspring.

However what if the angels at Sodom actually had sex with the people? What would have been the offspring?

Blog Entries

You have been shown many scriptures that describe them as men. Perhaps you could provide us with a scripture that says they are angels.
    A simple word search …..would these not to have take place in heaven?

Job 1
    6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

Job 38
    7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Scripture tells me the Nephilim are men, not demon hybrids.

Gen 6:4 There were giants (Nephilim) in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

here are other scriptures telling us the Nephilim are men not demons or hybrid creatures.

Numbers 13:33 "But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature. 3 And there we saw the giants(Nephilim), the sons of Anak, which come of the giants(Nephilim): and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight. "

Those are the only two passages in scripture that use the term Nephilim.

There are other passages that mention Giants; and Anak and his children. Let's look at them to be thorough; and to see if those verses are harboring demon/hybrids; or simply human men.

Numbers 13:28 "the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there. "

Deut 1:28 Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.

Deut 2:10 The Emims dwelt therein in times past, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; Which also were accounted giants, as the Anakims; but the Moabites called them Emims.

Deut 2:20 " (That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims; A people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims;"

Deut 3:11 For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man. And this land, which we possessed at that time, from Aroer, which is by the river Arnon, and half mount Gilead, and the cities thereof, gave I unto the Reubenites and to the Gadites. And the rest of Gilead, and all Bashan, being the kingdom of Og, gave I unto the half tribe of Manasseh; all the region of Argob, with all Bashan, which was called the land of giants.

(the kingdoms of Og, Gilead, and Bashan, and Argob, (and later the Philistines) were all from other verses, contextually given as kindgoms of men; no mention of them being demon/hybrid creatures)

Deut 9:2 A people great and tall, the children of the Anakims, whom thou knowest, and of whom thou hast heard say, Who can stand before the children of Anak!

Deut 14;15 "Arba(the father of Anak) was a great man among the Anakims"

2 Samuels 21; we see giants again, used to describe the human Philistine warrior people.

2 Samuel 21:16 And Ishbibenob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David. But Abishai the son of Zeruiah succoured him, and smote the Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David sware unto him, saying, Thou shalt go no more out with us to battle, that thou quench not the light of Israel. And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which was of the sons of the giant. And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam. And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant. And when he defied Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimeah the brother of David slew him. 2 These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.

As seen in the context of the 2 passages that mention ‘Nephilim’, and other passages describing giants, the context is always, men, man, people, children, fathers, brothers, etc.

Never mentions of angels or demons or hybrids.

Let the scriptures tell the careful reader ‘who’ the Nephilim are; or specifically as Moses defined them: “men of a great stature”.
    4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Just want to point out that those giants which were created when the sons of God had children with the daughters of men were not the same giants already upon the earth. The giants created afterwards were directly from the sons of God.
    We can't tell how the giants already on the earth came. Now is it possible that the giants already upon earth were of animal in nature (dinos) and the now we are seeing the corruption of man.?

Blog Entries

In your view what caused normal sexual relationships between men and women to create Giants?

I see it as the sons of Gods angels (demonic spirits) indwelled men which then had sex with woman. (actually started with Job daughters whom were fair). I know then the children will probably be trained up to worship their father the devil. But what happens to DNA when one is indwelled demonically? Could it cause aberrations?

But it is also possible that angels themselves manifested in human flesh did have offspring with woman. What if the angels at Sodom had sex?

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

All the DNA of each person traces back to that of Adam and Eve.
    Which had to go thru Noah as all others which were corrupted were eliminated.

[*] Arba appears to be one of those sons of God, as he Fathered the Nephilim....the sons of Anak.[*] Anak was Nephilim and the product of his Father Arba , who was a Man.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Although quite possibly an unpopular opinion, reading the book of Job as an actual literal history is not justified. The book is theodicy and borrows a lot of imagery of the time (and probably some historical figures). Almost all the text is poetic which I believe should alert us that this is not history. The bookmarking of Job losing everything at the beginning then getting everything back two fold, and exactly 7 sons and 3 daughters again.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Thread Information