Thread: Christian arrogance

Christian arrogance

I hear Christians say all the time, I did this for God or that for God. That strikes me as being arrogant. What can we as mere created beings of dust really do for God at all?

Isn't the truth that God allows us to be partakers in His plans and that really is about the sum of our contribution? God is absolutely sovereign. When God shuts a door, none can open it and when God opens a door, none can shut it.

I know that there have been times that I acted to do God's will and in those cases, if I examine it, I simply responded to the urging of God. It began as an idea in me from God and I acted and then God used it as He saw fit. My contribution was only to be compliant, but even then, wasn't that a gift from God as well?

Hmmm.

Re: Christian arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Servant1981 View Post
    I hear Christians say all the time, I did this for God or that for God. That strikes me as being arrogant. What can we as mere created beings of dust really do for God at all?

Isn't the truth that God allows us to be partakers in His plans and that really is about the sum of our contribution? God is absolutely sovereign. When God shuts a door, none can open it and when God opens a door, none can shut it.

I know that there have been times that I acted to do God's will and in those cases, if I examine it, I simply responded to the urging of God. It began as an idea in me from God and I acted and then God used it as He saw fit. My contribution was only to be compliant, but even then, wasn't that a gift from God as well?

Hmmm.
    So you don't have free will ?

Blog Entries

That's a good point. The same idea is expressed many places in the Bible:

If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and its fullness are mine. (Psalm 50)
    Who has given to Me that I should repay him? Everything under heaven is Mine. (Job 41)
    My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please. (Isaiah 46)
    Many plans are in a man's heart, but the purpose of the LORD will prevail. (Proverbs 19)
    Nor is He served by human hands, as if He needed anything, because He Himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. (Acts 17)

But, I don't think most people mean it as challenging God's sovereignty when they say they did something "for Him." Actually when we begin to trust in God's sovereign power, it leads us to act a certain way also - mostly responding with thankfulness and praise. That's what almost all the Psalms are about even! What's you've said is a good reminder though and can be easy to forget when we trust in our own abilities. God needs nothing from us, we are His creation.

What can we as mere created beings of dust really do for God at all?
    "10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." Ephesians 2:10.
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

Servant1981, I agree with you. When Paul boasted to the Corinthians of his works he referred to himself as a fool for talking about himself that way. If we must boast we should boast of the good things the Lord has done.

Of course I have free will and left to my own resources, I am a complete evil fool. It is only God's acts on my behalf that keep me from being the same evil fool that runs away from anything smelling like the good and running with haste to the evil. It ALL comes from my LORD; my contribution is but a mass of filthy rags.

Of course I have free will and left to my own resources, I am a complete evil fool. It is only God's acts on my behalf that keep me from being the same evil fool that runs away from anything smelling like the good and running with haste to the evil. It ALL comes from my LORD; my contribution is but a mass of filthy rags.
    In the grand scheme we aren't worth a hill of beans. I'll give you that . But when we serve Him, it gives Him glory and both God and man joy.

Amen to that. As an example of that very thing, while I was doing traffic duty at church, one of the guys really opened up with me about his past and such; he was quite emotional. I told him that he was blessed to be able to open up and I was blessed that my LORD let me be there for him. The glory, however, belongs entirely to GOD.

Amen to that. As an example of that very thing, while I was doing traffic duty at church, one of the guys really opened up with me about his past and such; he was quite emotional. I told him that he was blessed to be able to open up and I was blessed that my LORD let me be there for him. The glory, however, belongs entirely to GOD.
    I think we ( maybe just I ) forget that we have a relational God who genuinely desires a relationship with His creation. Simple obedience and trust are things that God desires from us and when we do those things in faith, I feel that God is sincerely pleased with us. I look at my children , especially when they were young, and know how much I desire that from them in all of my imperfectness. How much more pleased is a perfectly Holy God when He sees the same ? God is faithful and God is longsuffering. I'm so thankful for that

my contribution is but a mass of filthy rags.
    Hello, Servant.

I appreciate your humility, however you discount what we are in Christ.

It is before we are saved that our works are like filthy rags, not after, that is, if we are in Christ.

We will be rewarded for those works. If we do works without or in spite of Christ/the Spirit, without love, they burn up, like rags would. But if we do works in love by His Spirit, they earn us rewards in heaven.

Faith requires we believe He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. So, we shouldn't let our arrogant humility deprive us of the obligation to do good works the way He intends.
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

Hmmm.

our purpose here in this place is to share the gospel to the glory of God.

we do all things whether good or bad in the name of Jesus Christ. When we accept his blood for forgiveness, we are taking the name upon our lives. Glory to God alone

Follower,

You nailed my point with 'Glory to God alone.' Even after we are saved, yes, all we do we do in the name of the LORD. However, if I really dig deep into my actual contribution and how I am able to do it, it all comes from God....ALL of it and only God deserves the glory.

When I look around the world, we humans are quite impressed with ourselves, our inventions and our technology. The problem is that just because we can take a lump of carbon, some copper, etc and create an iPhone, only God actually invented anything at all. God invented the carbon and the copper and we reformed those materials. My point is one regarding humility.

Thread Information