Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Is infant baptism from the Bible?

Is infant baptism from the Bible?

Some may say, what is wrong with baptizing an infant? Well we need to go to the word of God and to the requirements for baptism.

Baptism is for those that hear the Gospel message, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and repent of their sins. This must be done before a person can be baptized.

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38.

"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." Acts 20:21.

Why do we need to repent to God?

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23.

Only those that receive the Word of God and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ are fit for baptism.

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls." Acts 2:41

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:15, 16.

"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women." Acts 8:12.

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." Acts 8:36, 37.

The question must now be asked, ‘Can an infant understand the Gospel, accept the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, and repent of their sins?’ Of course they cannot, so therefore according to the Bible they cannot be baptized and any church that condones infant baptism is not following the Word of God.

Re: Is infant baptism from the Bible?

No, it's not Biblical. I grew up in the Methodist Church and was always told that infant baptism was really just a dedication ritual, not a substitute for adult baptism. But in all my years in the Methodist Church I never witnessed a single adult baptism, myself excepted.

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    The question must now be asked, ‘Can an infant understand the Gospel, accept the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, and repent of their sins?’ Of course they cannot, so therefore according to the Bible they cannot be baptized and any church that condones infant baptism is not following the Word of God.
    Ok lets look at the verses:
    Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Who is the “them” that were to be baptized? Answer is “all nations”. Who then is to be taught? Answer “all nations”. So the question then becomes who is “nations” referring to. Is a baby considered part of the “nation”? In the nation I live in, a baby is counted as being part of the nation. Can a child then be brought up and taught? Yes.

Did an infant understand when the Lord claimed the house of Levi as being His?
    Numbers 8:14 Thus shalt thou separate the Levites from among the children of Israel: and the Levites shall be mine.

Did the infant Levite belong to God?

When Jesus gave the command to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost He did not put an age and He did not say repent. Are you saying that an infant can't belong to God? I am sure when they all heard this they wanted their full household baptized no matter the age. This is probably how it even started. Claiming the full house to belong to the Lord just as the Levite was.

I do not have a problem with infant baptism.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    No, it's not Biblical. I grew up in the Methodist Church and was always told that infant baptism was really just a dedication ritual, not a substitute for adult baptism. But in all my years in the Methodist Church I never witnessed a single adult baptism, myself excepted.
    To me this is because they then teach about communion and with that is repentance and seeking forgiveness for sins since it is for the remission of sins.
    Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

So what is this church lacking? They do baptizing and they give communion teaching about repentance and forgiveness of sin.

I was baptized as a baby...to me I was given to the Lord. I was then trained up in the Lord. As my understanding grew I did seek the Lord for myself and was baptized as an adult having new understandings, plus Jesus was baptized as an adult. I was to me following Jesus.

I do not feel it was error to be baptized as a baby as Jesus gives no age. I consider it being given to the Lord as a baby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyCyd View Post
    Ok lets look at the verses:
    Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Who is the “them” that were to be baptized? Answer is “all nations”. Who then is to be taught? Answer “all nations”. So the question then becomes who is “nations” referring to. Is a baby considered part of the “nation”? In the nation I live in, a baby is counted as being part of the nation. Can a child then be brought up and taught? Yes.

Did an infant understand when the Lord claimed the house of Levi as being His?
    Numbers 8:14 Thus shalt thou separate the Levites from among the children of Israel: and the Levites shall be mine.

Did the infant Levite belong to God?

When Jesus gave the command to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost He did not put an age and He did not say repent. Are you saying that an infant can't belong to God? I am sure when they all heard this they wanted their full household baptized no matter the age. This is probably how it even started. Claiming the full house to belong to the Lord just as the Levite was.

I do not have a problem with infant baptism.
    What is quite peculiar, that those who are so obsessed with what they call « the great commission » only have this verse. The Lord said this while He was still on earth, so before the Acts and the letters written during that time.

So I've asked this many times before, show just one instance, one verse, where anybody was baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. There's about a time frame of 40 years during those Acts, so if anybody listened to the Lord, finding this must be a breeze, but it isn't. Then what did the Lord teach them to command, what all those who are baptized in this particular way should observe? Last, v. 20 says according to the Greek « ... I am with you all days, even unto the end of the aion ». But the Lord is now hidden in God as Col. 3:3 says « For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God », even worse, those He spoke to (the eleven apostles v. 16) are dead as well.

Aristarkos

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    Some may say, what is wrong with baptizing an infant? Well we need to go to the word of God and to the requirements for baptism.

Baptism is for those that hear the Gospel message, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and repent of their sins. This must be done before a person can be baptized.

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38.

"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." Acts 20:21.

Why do we need to repent to God?

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23.

Only those that receive the Word of God and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ are fit for baptism.

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls." Acts 2:41

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:15, 16.

"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women." Acts 8:12.

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." Acts 8:36, 37.

there are no verses supporting infant baptism, I do however find it interesting that circumcision was done to infants upon the 8 th day of thier lives before they could learn any of the law they were circumsized into. Nevertheless, it's not biblically supported.

I would suggest that it's not our place to determine who is " fit" for baptism, instances such as this sort of suggest belief in Jesus Cjrost the son of God , is the requirement , and from that faith, comes repentance

“Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.”
    **Acts‬ *8:35-38‬ *KJV‬‬

repentance is something that first is of the heart, it has to be through sorrow for ones sins becoming aware of them. A lot of folks don't even know they are winning because they don't know much of scripture. Others don't even know what the word repentance means. I find repentance to be a process sometimes life long. There are things I would never even think of today , that I did after I was baptized 25 years ago. As understanding grows in a man, so does the measurement of what is sin in thier understanding, with that grows the need for repentance.

I've come to believe something will pop up I was unaware of, maybe as I'm on my death bed, sin has to,be something a person is conscious of, or it isn't counted as sin. I may know thier sinning, but they may not. It's hard not to set the bar for everyone else , where the bar is for myself, but it's. It something we're supposed to do because in Christ all things work by faith, even repentance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    What is quite peculiar, that those who are so obsessed with what they call « the great commission » only have this verse. The Lord said this while He was still on earth, so before the Acts and the letters written during that time.
    Well to me this was given them after resurrection, as they had baptized before while Jesus was with them and to me that was like John's baptism. Jesus was giving them a change in what they had done in the past to me. He did not bring up repentance...He said to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit...so this was different. I can understand this taking time given they did baptize different earlier in the ministry with the Lord, so this was something new to me that they were assigned.

So I've asked this many times before, show just one instance, one verse, where anybody was baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. There's about a time frame of 40 years during those Acts, so if anybody listened to the Lord, finding this must be a breeze, but it isn't.
    Most cases it just says they baptized people..it doesn't say how. To me in the name of the Lord being referred to is saying it was given by the authority of Jesus they were to be baptizing.

Then what did the Lord teach them to command, what all those who are baptized in this particular way should observe?
    Jesus was talking about ministry...He commanded the disciples in Mr 6:7-13...also sending out seventy more in Luke 10 with what to observe and do. This is what Jesus was talking about to me, it was the ministry He commanded them on and wanted observed and to do.

Remember how important it was to the disciples when choosing the replacement for Judas, they wanted someone with the baptism of John and to have followed Jesus. Well this to me was Jesus giving them new guidelines for baptism into His ministry. Yet to follow the same commands as Jesus commanded in being sent out two by two.

Last, v. 20 says according to the Greek « ... I am with you all days, even unto the end of the aion ». But the Lord is now hidden in God as Col. 3:3 says « For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God », even worse, those He spoke to (the eleven apostles v. 16) are dead as well.

Aristarkos
    Anyway as you can tell I see it a bit different than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    there are no verses supporting infant baptism, I do however find it interesting that circumcision was done to infants upon the 8 th day of thier lives before they could learn any of the law they were circumsized into. Nevertheless, it's not biblically supported.
    To me you brought up a very good example of an infant being part of a covenant in scriptures. Maybe this was what was applied in infant baptism. I think it is a good example. Jesus certainly talked about children and the kingdom, so why wouldn't children be considered part of the new covenant?

Blog Entries

Well to me this was given them after resurrection, as they had baptized before while Jesus was with them and to me that was like John's baptism. Jesus was giving them a change in what they had done in the past to me. He did not bring up repentance...He said to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit...so this was different. I can understand this taking time given they did baptize different earlier in the ministry with the Lord, so this was something new to me that they were assigned.

Most cases it just says they baptized people..it doesn't say how. To me in the name of the Lord being referred to is saying it was given by the authority of Jesus they were to be baptizing.

Jesus was talking about ministry...He commanded the disciples in Mr 6:7-13...also sending out seventy more in Luke 10 with what to observe and do. This is what Jesus was talking about to me, it was the ministry He commanded them on and wanted observed and to do.

Remember how important it was to the disciples when choosing the replacement for Judas, they wanted someone with the baptism of John and to have followed Jesus. Well this to me was Jesus giving them new guidelines for baptism into His ministry. Yet to follow the same commands as Jesus commanded in being sent out two by two.

Anyway as you can tell I see it a bit different than you do.
    I know, just about everybody else does, so don't worry about it. However, you are assuming things and have no Scripture to support your view, just as I said.

Aristarkos

Blog Entries

[...]
    I agree with you there isn't a single verse telling to baptize infants, which makes sense if one understands water baptism.

Circumcision is something completely different and it was not for no good reason God said this day it should be done, the 8th day:

It is of significant medical importance that male circumcision be carried out on the eighth day after birth since the level of vitamin K is highest on this day and vitamin K plays a pivotal role in regulation and control of the important clotting factors in the coagulation pathway that helps in stopping bleeding. (Source)

Aristarkos

Protestant churches inherited infant baptism from Catholicism. Catholics teach that baptism redeems the infant from original sin (as if water could do this). That's why they baptize infants.

When a baby is baptized it's nothing more than a ritualistic application of water which makes the parents feel better. If parents want to have their baby baptized I see no harm in it, but if they believe this act frees the child from original sin I'm afraid they're sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    I agree with you there isn't a single verse telling to baptize infants, which makes sense if one understands water baptism.

Circumcision is something completely different and it was not for no good reason God said this day it should be done, the 8th day:

It is of significant medical importance that male circumcision be carried out on the eighth day after birth since the level of vitamin K is highest on this day and vitamin K plays a pivotal role in regulation and control of the important clotting factors in the coagulation pathway that helps in stopping bleeding. (Source)

Aristarkos

well biblically speaking circumcision is the sign of the covenant between Abraham , and the Lord. Was the sign that Abrahams household was on covenant with God. I do agree however, there isn't a single scripture condoning or instructing baptism of the infant, and I agree also, that the purpose of baptism makes no sense because young children are not even accountable for thier sins.

this is a bit off topic but have you ever noticed this verse regarding baptism?

“The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all. Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?”
    **1 Corinthians‬ *15:26-29‬ *KJV‬‬

I've never found any further doctrine concerning baptism for those who are dead, but also could never explain this verse away, it seems Paul is referring to some value in this practice regarding the resurrection, I was just wondering if you have ever found anything else regarding this? Or what you think of it

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Protestant churches inherited infant baptism from Catholicism. Catholics teach that baptism redeems the infant from original sin (as if water could do this). That's why they baptize infants.

When a baby is baptized it's nothing more than a ritualistic application of water which makes the parents feel better. If parents want to have their baby baptized I see no harm in it, but if they believe this act frees the child from original sin I'm afraid they're sadly mistaken.
    through water baptism sin is put into remission , through baptism of the spirit it is taken away. Is most likely thier thinking, it seems as if the child would then grow up and decide whether they believe and then be baptized again I suppose because it's definitely a decision one must make themselves.

another piece of conjecture would be that they fear a child may die before they are grown, thinking they need baptism of water in order to be saved , so they did it as a precaution or something.

To me you brought up a very good example of an infant being part of a covenant in scriptures. Maybe this was what was applied in infant baptism. I think it is a good example. Jesus certainly talked about children and the kingdom, so why wouldn't children be considered part of the new covenant?

Oh I certainly believe children are a part of the new covenant , actually little children serve as an example in the new covenant

“And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.”
    **Luke‬ *18:15-17‬ *KJV‬‬

children while all flesh has sin, children are innocent, they just believe what they are learning whether good or bad. They are blessed in some ways because they haven't yet learned the sorrows and deceptions in the world. It's easy for a child to see people running to Christ hear adults talking about him and believe and accept it as truth .....that's what we need to do with Jesus and the gospel.

I'm not against baptizing children , I personally see no value or scripture supporting it , but believers need to walk in thier own faith in order to keep clear consciences before God. I suspect people from many denominations are true believers and will be saved even with thier slight differences in doctrine and practice. What matters is if we accept Jesus and the gospel.

I don't consider it a false doctrine or anything, but in truth there is not a single example of infants being baptized in the bible, at least to my own recollection and knowledge . I could definitely have missed it but I'm pretty sure there's no scriptural support which is the ops inquiry

Blog Entries

well biblically speaking circumcision is the sign of the covenant between Abraham , and the Lord. Was the sign that Abrahams household was on covenant with God. I do agree however, there isn't a single scripture condoning or instructing baptism of the infant, and I agree also, that the purpose of baptism makes no sense because young children are not even accountable for thier sins.
    Circumcision reaches deeper to my opinion. Circumcision is a sign. A sign is something that points to another matter. Col. 2:11 teaches what this is: the circumcision of Christ. But not on the eighth day but on the cross, one that happened without hands. Physical circumcision caused a certain pain (Gen. 34:25) and gave a certain shedding of blood; these are the symbols of the surpassing suffering of Christ and the shedding of His blood. So the sign pointed to the source for justification: Christ's suffering and bloodshedding. It is also the seal on justice. For Abraham, circumcision was not only a sign but also a seal. It imprinted the seal on imputed righteousness of faith, confirmed God's imputation therein, as well as a seal confirming the authenticity of the document to which it is attached. The circumcision in the flesh did not precede imputed righteousness of faith, it followed on it. Nor did it confirm the righteousness of the circumcised for faith, for they were only eight days old, but made it into Israel, made him come into « the covenant of circumcision ». This was not the case with Abraham, with him it was a seal, a hallmark, an unquestionable confirmation of imputed justice.

this is a bit off topic but have you ever noticed this verse regarding baptism?

“The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all. Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?”
    **1 Corinthians‬ *15:26-29‬ *KJV‬‬

I've never found any further doctrine concerning baptism for those who are dead, but also could never explain this verse away, it seems Paul is referring to some value in this practice regarding the resurrection, I was just wondering if you have ever found anything else regarding this? Or what you think of it
    First I think you have to read 1 Cor. correctly. As you may know Paul uses quite a lot of parenthesis, he does it also here. V. 21 — 28 is one of those intermediate sentences.

So what you should actually read is « But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. ... Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? ». V. 29 should have been translated like this: « Otherwise, what will they do that are baptized? (is it) for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are they baptized for them? ». If you look at the Greek text you will see that only (is it) is added, the last « for the dead » is « for them » in Greek.

From that time there is no baptism for the dead known, as one has taught and are still learning. Paul is not talking here about those who were baptized instead of already deceased to save them as a result, or who were baptized at the point of death as one has also taught, but simply asks: Is one baptized if one doesn't believe in the resurrection, which is also represented by baptism? Is it to stay dead?

Aristarkos

Thread Information