Thread: What is the sigfincance of the 'Black Hole' found in space.

What is the sigfincance of the 'Black Hole' found in space.

especially to Christians. The scientist are absolutely beside themselves after the pictures came in of the 'Black Hole'. Take a look...

"Black hole picture could unlock new era in astronomy.

When the first-ever direct picture of a black hole was unveiled Wednesday, scientists around the world were almost giddy over finally getting a chance to see one of the most mysterious objects in the universe.

“A once-in-a-lifetime result,” exulted Shep Doeleman, director of the Event Horizon Telescope, the international team of scientists who created the image using a network of radio telescopes linked together to form a single, Earth-size observatory.

“I couldn’t imagine that I’d live to see a telescopic image of a black hole,” said Jean-Pierre Luminet of the French National Center for Scientific Research, who created the first visualization of a black hole in 1979. Yale astronomer Priya Natarajan was more succinct. “My first reaction on seeing the image was: Wow!”

The remarkable snapshot shows a monster black hole 55 million light-years from Earth in the neighboring galaxy M87."https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/black-hole-picture-could-unlock-new-era-astronomy-ncna993531

A black hole forms when the center of a very massive star collapses in upon itself. This collapse also causes a supernova, or an exploding star, that blasts part of the star into space.

So I was looking at all the news on it when I came across a video where the scientist admitted they didn't know how the universe worked and all they could do was come up with ideas or theory's on what was happening. But what really caught my ear was a scientist admitting there is energy pouring into the universe forming it, and this was in the context of not knowing. Elements of galaxies such as stars (or suns) were being push around and forming faster than they had calculated according to their theories, while other parts were moving 'normally'. There were extreme star-forming galaxies in the universe, according to them, the so-called "dusty star-forming galaxies."

Unknown energy pouring into the universe driving its formation, imagine that...

Blog Entries

Re: What is the sigfincance of the 'Black Hole' found in space.

I personally don't view science as being in a "competition" with Christianity. New discoveries about the universe just further glorify God's power and complexity. Dark matter/energy is just another threshold we've reached in understanding the system God has already created.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Blog Entries

It's very exciting ….because it's like getting a picture of the Loch Ness Monster [if it was real - or is it? ]

Why is it relevant to Christians? Only for the sake that it demonstrates the power of God and his universe that we can only bare comprehend.

I taught science of a number of years to middle school students and black holes always fascinated them. To be factual - this isn't a photograph like we think of photographs. It can't be. Black holes, of course aren't really holes, but SUPER dense matter left over from a super giant star that has exploded and collapsed on itself.

The matter left is SO dense that it's gravitational pull boggles the mind. Nothing - not even light waves can escape it's gravitation pull! No light bouncing off of it - no way to take a picture.

This image was constructed from various data receive from radio waves via radio dishes across the world. What you and I are truly seeing is just the silhouette of the thing - the shadow - the perimeter. Like people used to make silhouettes of people back in the day by cutting out black shapes of someone's facial profile to the side and people would wear them in lockets and such.

If we could really "see" it - who knows what it would look like. I picture it like a big trash heap. Stars, meteors, moons and such crashing into the black "hole" [the super condensed remains of a collapsed super giant star] with such force that they explode and made a huge mess! Like a Jackson Pollock painting - only God sized! [No disrespect to God here].

The only reason that we knew that they exist at all is that Einstein explained that they did. What can be seen with telescopes are objects in space losing their path and being pulled towards the black hole [which heretofore was camera shy and invisible.]

It's exciting to me - even if all we can "see" is a black dot. As a Christian and as a person who loves genuine science, it's profound.

No, it's not going to suck us in. It's 55 million light years away. A light-year not being a year, but a distance that light can travel in one year or about 6 trillion miles as my students used to calculate with my help. So multiply 6 trillion x 55 and that's how far away it is.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    I personally don't view science as being in a "competition" with Christianity. New discoveries about the universe just further glorify God's power and complexity. Dark matter/energy is just another threshold we've reached in understanding the system God has already created.
    This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ".....it's your nickel"

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    Unknown energy pouring into the universe driving its formation, imagine that...
    God said "Let there be light" and He never rescended that order. Perhaps it is still expanding in keeping with the command God gave it.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Consider this the black hole maybe a prison .

Jude 1:6

“And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.”

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Consider this the black hole maybe a prison .

Jude 1:6

“And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.”

There are likely billions of black holes in the universe.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Science is the human study how God created.

I am deeply impressed by that.

It escapes me why unbelievers miss that.

But maybe I am biased.

Science, especially astronomy, fascinates me.

The Hubble Deep Space Field is another example. They aimed the Hubble at a "dead" area of space as an experiment and waited for ten days for the telescope to do what it does and what they saw was nearly 3,000 galaxies in that one experiment. Keep in mind that this was aiming the telescope into a portion of the sky the size of a pin head held at arms length.

How big is our God ? He spoke that into existence in one day.
    How big is our God ? He is Omnipresent. He's there in every single galaxy with his perfect will being performed with every single atom and molecule he created.

It hurts my mind to try to grasp such awesomeness.

Science, especially astronomy, fascinates me.

The Hubble Deep Space Field is another example. They aimed the Hubble at a "dead" area of space as an experiment and waited for ten days for the telescope to do what it does and what they saw was nearly 3,000 galaxies in that one experiment. Keep in mind that this was aiming the telescope into a portion of the sky the size of a pin head held at arms length.

How big is our God ? He spoke that into existence in one day.
    How big is our God ? He is Omnipresent. He's there in every single galaxy with his perfect will being performed with every single atom and molecule he created.

It hurts my mind to try to grasp such awesomeness.

I heard someone say it bolsters quantum theory.
    Mark

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14

(All Scripture quoted is from NKJV unless otherwise noted)

Thread Information