Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Like a Thief in the Night

  1. #16

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by David ben Jesse View Post
    Paul preached a different Gospel.

    not in anyway, you have to remember , Paul's letters are just that they are not a complete view of what he preached. The churches were founded upon the only gospel, Paul is a minister of that gospel.

    Paul's letters weren't sent out and then people set up a church based on his letters. They were sent to the churches already established a few by Paul and barnabus and Luke. Others established by the rest including Peter who founded the church at Rome. Paul hadn't even been to Rome after his conversion when he wrote his Romans epistle. The only gospel that exists is the gospel of the kingdom of God.

    Jesus began preaching the gospel

    “Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.”
    **Mark‬ *1:14-15‬ *KJV‬‬

    Nearing the end of his ministry as brother journeyman stated Jesus explained

    “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.”
    **Matthew‬ *24:14‬ *KJV‬‬

    then after his resurrection

    “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
    **Matthew‬ *28:18-20‬ *KJV‬‬

    then Saul enters the picture

    “As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison. Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.”
    **Acts‬ *8:3-4‬ *KJV‬‬


    Paul is converted...then we see Paul preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God

    “Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ......And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.”
    **Acts‬ *20:21, 25‬ *KJV‬‬

    “And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

    And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.”
    **Acts‬ *28:23, 30-31‬ *KJV‬‬


    it's a common misunderstanding which comes from modern grace alone nothing else applies doctrine, that Paul preached some second or different gospel. We have to pause and remember his letters were for correction, exhortations, encouragement, hope, instruction...to the churches founded upon the same gospel Jesus preached and then commanded his disciples to go out and preach to the world the same gospel he preached to them.

    it's rather evident when you examine his letters

    “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:”
    **Colossians‬ *1:13‬ *KJV‬‬

    “But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them.”
    **Ephesians‬ *5:3-7‬ *KJV‬‬

    “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”
    **Galatians‬ *5:19-21‬ *KJV‬‬


    Paul was just another apostle, he was no different than Peter or John , the only difference is he was chosen after the resurrection, same gospel sent to all the earth. Paul was a vessel like the rest. It's easy to read Paul's letters when people explain how only he preached to Gentiles, which isn't true, and that somehow his letters contain all of his doctrine, or that anything was founded on his letters. There's just the one gospel until the end.

  2. #17

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    As Paul states that the antichrist comes next (read 2 Thess and not just 1 Thess) and you find your claim invalid.
    Also as elsewhere noted in 1 Thess 5 we are told that the DAY of the Lord will not be a surprise for us - yes it will be a Day for us, but Night in which the Thief comes for those who are NOT IN Christ.
    We must remember that these are pictures given us to help us understand what it will be like for different people.
    We are looking for salvation, but they will claim safety and find destruction.
    BOTH are true, but we are NOT them and they are NOT us.

    why was Peter teaching this to the church of its not meant for them?

    “But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

    But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

    Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.”
    **2 Peter‬ *3:7, 10-14‬ *KJV‬‬


    Jesus makes a really good point also

    “And as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

    Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.”
    **Luke‬ *17:26-30‬ *KJV‬‬

    “Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

    Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

    Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

    But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of, And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
    **Matthew‬ *24:45-51‬ *KJV‬‬

    it's about remaining steadfast because we don't, and cannot know the day and hour. Even Jesus didn't know the day or specific time, only God the Father who appointed the day.

  3. #18

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by David ben Jesse View Post
    Martin Luther declared in the year 1520, that the papacy is the seat of the antichrist. Of course the popes didn't like that accusation, and the Jesuits' interpretation about the arrival of the antichrist shifted that event into the future, for to shift the focus away from the catholic "church".

    It doesn't make sense that our saviour Yeshua (Jesus; derived from the Greek: Iēsous) arrives after the appearance of a special antichrist, who comes in the future, otherwise Yeshua (Jesus) can't arrive almost totally unexpected, like a thief in the night. The apostle John wrote, that the spirit of the antichrist was in the world already, when the Gospels were written. So the next event must be the second coming of our saviour Yeshua (Jesus).

    Matthew 25:1-13 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

    excellent post brother. Christians should always expect it anyday because there isn't going to be obvious warnings...if one looks outwardly looking about the whole world there is so much happening right now all throughout the earth it's in chaos nations are at war, complete nations such as Syria, and Iraq are decimated almost no buildings left standing, Syrians are being slaughtered , Islam is creating terror and destruction throughout the Middle East, they are now spread into Europe, and Asian countries, nations are in standoff a at thier borders, nuclear powers are huffing and puffing at each other, Christians are martyred every day, it just doesn't happen in the few " civilized countries. Book haram another sect of Islamic extremists are decimating the African nations.....

    it goes on and on famines over entire nations , natural disasters more earthquakes over the past 20 years in the world than the century before, whether it's a thousand years or tomorrow, correct understanding is there in your op, unless one is ready, we need to get ready.

    “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

    Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

    And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

    But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.”
    **2 Peter‬ *3:10-18‬ *KJV‬‬


    Peter isn't speaking about those not in Christ, but is warning the church not to be led away , and to continue in steadfastness, growing in both grace, and the knowledge of Jesus Christ, which is manifest clearly in his words....

  4. #19

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    The 5 foolish virgins represented unbelieving Israel, who reject Jesus as Messiah. The 5 wise virgins represented believing Israel, who embrace Jesus as Messiah. That condition existed in Israel at the time Jesus gave this parable. Half of Israel rejected Jesus, and half embraced him. Ultimately, I think it was a far fewer number in Israel who actually remained Christians after Jesus' death.

    The point for Jesus was not the lack of ability to time Jesus' coming, but rather, the lack of expectation that would exist in Israel among those who rejected him as Messiah. If they didn't accept him as Messiah, and believe him to be dead, they certainly won't expect him to come back!

    Similar conditions will exist at the end of the age. Israel will have unbelievers, as well as believers. Many will not be ready in the time of Antichrist. They will not expect Jesus to come!

    So expectation has to do with belief in Jesus--more than just not knowing the day and hour of his coming. Of course, I don't think anybody will actually know the day and hour, except God Himself.

    So in the reign of Antichrist, there is the matter of discerning whether he is the Antichrist and how long he has reigned? All we really know is that after 1260 days there will be another 3.5 days in which the 2 Prophets will lie in the streets of Jerusalem.

    And then there will be a drawn-out period of time in which Antichrist draws the nations in towards Armageddon. This will be *after* Antichrist's 1260 days of reign. Nobody will know the exact day the battle will begin, nor the exact time Jesus will return. But it will be after the Tribulation!
    try reading just the parable bro....look for what he is saying, the message he is conveying through the parable, pay special attention to the conclusion when he ends the parable and says " therefore"

    “Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

    They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

    But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

    While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

    Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

    But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

    And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

    Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.”
    **Matthew‬ *25:1-13‬ *KJV‬‬


    it's about his coming sudden and unexpected so keep,your lamps full ....also consider what he is teaching in chapter 24 it's about his coming and concludes with the most detailed account we have of the judgement, from the judge himself. We hear a lot about " the judgement seat of Christ" I'd say it's pretty well described in chapter 25.....parables aren't prophecy we need to interpret, they are knowledge and truth of the kingdom, told us by the king.



    “And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

    Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

    But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.”
    **Matthew‬ *13:10-14, 16-17‬ *KJV‬‬

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,747
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    why was Peter teaching this to the church of its not meant for them?
    That is very easy to answer.
    Paul stated the SAME thing in 1 Thess 5.
    The day comes as a thief in the night for those who are NOT walking in the light. So Peter's call is the SAME as Paul's to walk in the light and so NOT be caught out.
    When we walk in the light THEN that Day does NOT surprise us, and is for OUR salvation.
    So we are looking forward to the NHNE.

    it's about remaining steadfast because we don't, and cannot know the day and hour. Even Jesus didn't know the day or specific time, only God the Father who appointed the day.
    It IS about remaining steadfast, you have that part correct.
    Jesus WHEN He was on earth BEFORE ascending into heaven and sending His Holy Spirit did NOT know when. However He knows NOW, and His Spirit leads us into knowing.
    He has told us BEFORE time, so that we can UNDERSTAND the time.
    However IF our focus is on the things of this world, rather than His things, then we will NOT be checking the signs at all.

    An example in scripture is the Magi, who came to His birth. They were ALWAYS checking the skies looking for the SIGN. When they saw the SIGN then they had to respond and follow it.
    They came to Jerusalem and shared that SIGN with the priests etc who understood it to connect to the birth of the Messiah, but NONE of those priests CONFIRMED the SIGN, nor did they go to worship Him. We are therefore to be like the Magi, looking for what He has told us, and when we see it to respond.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    10,329

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    try reading just the parable bro....look for what he is saying, the message he is conveying through the parable, pay special attention to the conclusion when he ends the parable and says " therefore"

    “Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

    They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

    But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

    While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

    Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

    But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

    And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

    Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.”
    **Matthew‬ *25:1-13‬ *KJV‬‬


    it's about his coming sudden and unexpected so keep,your lamps full ....also consider what he is teaching in chapter 24 it's about his coming and concludes with the most detailed account we have of the judgement, from the judge himself. We hear a lot about " the judgement seat of Christ" I'd say it's pretty well described in chapter 25.....parables aren't prophecy we need to interpret, they are knowledge and truth of the kingdom, told us by the king.



    “And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

    Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

    But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.”
    **Matthew‬ *13:10-14, 16-17‬ *KJV‬‬
    I fail to see what your point is? The parable simply expresses the failure of Israel, in some parts, to prepare for Jesus' initial coming, and thus, initiating a failed anticipation of when he will come with his Kingdom.

    We all know that Israel had trouble knowing that Jesus was the Messiah. Under the Law Israel was not yet the Bride--instead they were servants of God under the Law. They were "handmaids" to the Bride.

    Both believers and unbelievers in Israel had been called to be "handmaids" to the eventual bride. The Bride would be believers *after* the New Covenant of Christ had been initiated.

    So there was a failed expectation of who Messiah was in Israel, while the Law was still in place. And this would not enable Israel, in some parts, to properly be prepared for the coming of Jesus' Kingdom.

    Simple parable. Simple understanding. I don't know what you're arguing with? You need to spell it out.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3,086
    Blog Entries
    66

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    There is no “the antichrist” ever mentioned in scripture only the spirit of antichrist which was in many people

    John only uses the word antichrist in his epistles and they all describe apostate Israel
    ........ . ..

    Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Sorry but I still can’t edit I meant to add don’t confuse the beast with the antichrist

    There is a reason John used the term antichrist in his epistles and the term beast in revelation
    . .... .......
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

    מקום כניעה סך הכל

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    13,589
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    This will be *after* Antichrist's 1260 days of reign.
    Days are given to the faithful, months to the enemy. We shouldn't mix them like this. It would be like saying the two witnesses are given 42months...
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  9. #24

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    That is very easy to answer.
    Paul stated the SAME thing in 1 Thess 5.
    The day comes as a thief in the night for those who are NOT walking in the light. So Peter's call is the SAME as Paul's to walk in the light and so NOT be caught out.
    When we walk in the light THEN that Day does NOT surprise us, and is for OUR salvation.
    So we are looking forward to the NHNE.


    It IS about remaining steadfast, you have that part correct.
    Jesus WHEN He was on earth BEFORE ascending into heaven and sending His Holy Spirit did NOT know when. However He knows NOW, and His Spirit leads us into knowing.
    He has told us BEFORE time, so that we can UNDERSTAND the time.
    However IF our focus is on the things of this world, rather than His things, then we will NOT be checking the signs at all.

    An example in scripture is the Magi, who came to His birth. They were ALWAYS checking the skies looking for the SIGN. When they saw the SIGN then they had to respond and follow it.
    They came to Jerusalem and shared that SIGN with the priests etc who understood it to connect to the birth of the Messiah, but NONE of those priests CONFIRMED the SIGN, nor did they go to worship Him. We are therefore to be like the Magi, looking for what He has told us, and when we see it to respond.

    so Jesus having the Holy Spirit , didn't know, but we receiving the Holy Spirit do know? Is there anything in scripture to say that?

    it seems like Jesus the Christ sort of put it to bed several times like here

    “But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.

    Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.”
    **Mark‬ *13:32-33, 35-37‬ *KJV‬‬


    Paul isn't saying you'll know, he's saying the same thing Jesus is , stay in the light so when he comes your ready

    it's sort of plain really Paul says to them times and seasons you don't need me to explain because you, the church , you know it will be as a thief in the night....

    But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

    For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

    But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

    Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”
    **1 Thessalonians‬ *5:1-6‬ *KJV‬‬

    he is for certain coming as a thief, the message is be ready because you know he is coming suddenly

    Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.”
    **Revelation‬ *16:15‬ *KJV‬‬



    it's a message about being ready any and every day, being diligent because of the fact. That he will come suddenly. it's the same thing they believed any day he is coming, it's meant to inspire diligence and keep us from complacency. From Jesus forward it's the message . Peter says the same thing Paul said and Jesus angel said there in revelation...

    “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

    Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.”
    **2 Peter‬ *3:10-11, 14‬ *KJV‬‬


    unless I've missed it , they are teaching the same thing Jesus taught in the parable of the ten Virgins. Be ready because he could come tomorrow, next week next year or a thousand years. Keep your lamps full so when the bridegroom comes your ready, keep your garments on so when he comes your not found naked , be diligent because he is coming for certain, and no one knows when that day is.

    I'm not too sure any of us know more than those who founded the church, a lot of people predict the day but it never happens, then another , but again it doesn't happen. It's part of the gospel to understand there are definitely signs we've been given to know it's near, even right at the door....but we should reflect that 2000 years or so ago, they believed it was imminent and right at the door. That's something to keep us from complacency keep us being prepared.

    seems as if the church has always been thinking its eminent by design of the lord. And anyone predicting the day , it's wise to not fall for it...and even wiser to trust the things Jesus taught about his coming....

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    That is very easy to answer.
    Paul stated the SAME thing in 1 Thess 5.
    The day comes as a thief in the night for those who are NOT walking in the light. So Peter's call is the SAME as Paul's to walk in the light and so NOT be caught out.
    When we walk in the light THEN that Day does NOT surprise us, and is for OUR salvation.
    So we are looking forward to the NHNE.


    It IS about remaining steadfast, you have that part correct.
    Jesus WHEN He was on earth BEFORE ascending into heaven and sending His Holy Spirit did NOT know when. However He knows NOW, and His Spirit leads us into knowing.
    He has told us BEFORE time, so that we can UNDERSTAND the time.
    However IF our focus is on the things of this world, rather than His things, then we will NOT be checking the signs at all.

    An example in scripture is the Magi, who came to His birth. They were ALWAYS checking the skies looking for the SIGN. When they saw the SIGN then they had to respond and follow it.
    They came to Jerusalem and shared that SIGN with the priests etc who understood it to connect to the birth of the Messiah, but NONE of those priests CONFIRMED the SIGN, nor did they go to worship Him. We are therefore to be like the Magi, looking for what He has told us, and when we see it to respond.

    so Jesus having the Holy Spirit , didn't know, but we receiving the Holy Spirit do know? Is there anything in scripture to say that?

    it seems like Jesus the Christ sort of put it to bed several times like here

    “But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.

    Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.”
    **Mark‬ *13:32-33, 35-37‬ *KJV‬‬


    Paul isn't saying you'll know, he's saying the same thing Jesus is , stay in the light so when he comes your ready

    it's sort of plain really Paul says to them times and seasons you don't need me to explain because you, the church , you know it will be as a thief in the night....

    “But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

    For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

    But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

    Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”
    **1 Thessalonians‬ *5:1-6‬ *KJV‬‬

    he is for certain coming as a thief, the message is be ready because you know he is coming suddenly

    “Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.”
    **Revelation‬ *16:15‬ *KJV‬‬



    it's a message about being ready any and every day, being diligent because of the fact. That he will come suddenly. it's the same thing they believed any day he is coming, it's meant to inspire diligence and keep us from complacency. From Jesus forward it's the message . Peter says the same thing Paul said and Jesus angel said there in revelation...

    “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

    Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.”
    **2 Peter‬ *3:10-11, 14‬ *KJV‬‬


    unless I've missed it , they are teaching the same thing Jesus taught in the parable of the ten Virgins. Be ready because he could come tomorrow, next week next year or a thousand years. Keep your lamps full so when the bridegroom comes your ready, keep your garments on so when he comes your not found naked , be diligent because he is coming for certain, and no one knows when that day is.

    I'm not too sure any of us know more than those who founded the church, a lot of people predict the day but it never happens, then another , but again it doesn't happen. It's part of the gospel to understand there are definitely signs we've been given to know it's near, even right at the door....but we should reflect that 2000 years or so ago, they believed it was imminent and right at the door. That's something to keep us from complacency keep us being prepared.

    seems as if the church has always been thinking its eminent by design of the lord. And anyone predicting the day , it's wise to not fall for it...and even wiser to trust the things Jesus taught about his coming....

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    10,329

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    Days are given to the faithful, months to the enemy. We shouldn't mix them like this. It would be like saying the two witnesses are given 42months...
    I see no reason to separate days and months?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    13,589
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I see no reason to separate days and months?
    God did though.

    Rev 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
    Rev 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,747
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by Follower1977 View Post
    so Jesus having the Holy Spirit , didn't know, but we receiving the Holy Spirit do know? Is there anything in scripture to say that?
    Yes:
    Joh 16:12* “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.*
    Joh 16:13* When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

    They could not bear some things that Jesus would tell them then.
    However the Holy Spirit would tell them.

    You are correct that there is a message of patient endurance. I acknowledged you go t that part correct.
    Where you go wrong is to insist that just because something wasn't revealed while Jesus was on earth that it therefore would NEVER be revealed.

    It is clear from 1 Thess 5 that we are NOT of the darkness, for whom Jesus comes like a thief in the night. We are children of the light.
    "But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief."

    It can hardly be clearer, that day shall NOT overtake you as a thief.
    For whom is that Day not like a thief? For those who are children of the light.

    So the warning is that IF we walk in darkness then we will get taken unaware, but IF we walk in the light, then we will NOT be unaware.
    This does NOT mean that Jesus can come at any second or moment - the Doctrine of Imminent Return (and the requirement of pre-trib).
    No, there are certain things which WILL happen BEFORE He returns.

    God told us of these things, some through Jesus and some through the Holy Spirit.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,747
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I see no reason to separate days and months?
    Actually the 42 months is about the length of the city being trampled by the Gentiles, but the 1260 days is the duration of the two witnesses, which is a slightly shorter length of time.
    These are NOT equivalences.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    10,329

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    God did though.

    Rev 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
    Rev 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
    Yes, what I meant to say is that I see no reason to separate 1260 days, 42 months, and 3.5 years into separate periods of time. For me, they all look back to the 3.5 years of Antichrist's Reign in Dan 7. Trying to figure out *why* God distinguished these into days, months, and years is another thing. Good question!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    10,329

    Re: Like a Thief in the Night

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Actually the 42 months is about the length of the city being trampled by the Gentiles, but the 1260 days is the duration of the two witnesses, which is a slightly shorter length of time.
    These are NOT equivalences.
    Yes, different activities associated with different descriptions of the *same* time period (as I see it). But yes, the different activities are what's significant. So if I'm right, the different activities associated with the differently described periods should naturally overlap. If not, then I would be wrong.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. As A Thief In The Night, The Real Meaning
    By DavePeace in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 27th 2018, 04:40 PM
  2. as a thief in the night
    By Caleb in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: Jan 11th 2011, 12:25 PM
  3. Thief at our church last night..
    By moonglow in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 22nd 2010, 08:19 PM
  4. As a thief in the night
    By markedward in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Jul 18th 2009, 06:34 AM
  5. a thief in the night
    By markedward in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Feb 17th 2009, 08:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •