Thread: OT Right Hand of God and Jesus

OT Right Hand of God and Jesus

Last night I read Psalm 17. Verse 7 reads:

KJV: "Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them."

ESV: "Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge, from their adversaries at your right hand."

Reading this in context, the Psalm is a plea to God for protection (v1-12) and then a plea for judgment (v13-15). If Jesus had never existed, it would be very plausible to read "right hand" in this context in the poetic sense of God's power. For example, Exodus 15:5-6 (part of the Song of the Sea) reads:

"The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone. Thy right hand, O Lord, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O Lord, hath dashed in pieces the enemy."

I don't think we are meant to read this as Jesus coming down and dashing Pharaoh's arm, so in this case the right hand is a poetic symbol of God's justice.

I read Psalm 17 the same way. But then when I read verse 7 in isolation, it's quite pretty to think of it as a Christian reference. As Christians we put our trust in God and we are saved by Jesus, who sits at the right hand (Acts 2:33). Though the phrasing is a little different ("at" or "by" the right hand of God, while Psalm 17 refers to the right hand itself), I like the allusion.

Of course, I may just be reading too much into it :-)

Re: OT Right Hand of God and Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahHaidabo View Post

I read Psalm 17 the same way. But then when I read verse 7 in isolation, it's quite pretty to think of it as a Christian reference. As Christians we put our trust in God and we are saved by Jesus, who sits at the right hand (Acts 2:33). Though the phrasing is a little different ("at" or "by" the right hand of God, while Psalm 17 refers to the right hand itself), I like the allusion.

Many people say Jesus is at the right hand of the Father when He is no longer at the right hand...but Jesus himself said he was in the Fathers throne since He overcame. So to me Jesus is not at the right hand, He is actually in the Fathers throne they are one.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Isn't that how you would read this?

Many people say Jesus is at the right hand of the Father when He is no longer at the right hand...but Jesus himself said he was in the Fathers throne since He overcame. So to me Jesus is not at the right hand, He is actually in the Fathers throne they are one.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Isn't that how you would read this?

I believe "at the right hand" is just a metaphorical expression, indicating God's position of strength over all else. He has, in other words, the superior strength, as deity, and is choosing to use his superior arm, indicating his preeminent objective, to overcome opponents.

Christ's ascension to God's right hand is the exaltation of Christ's work throughout the universe. It is God's "final statement" about what Christ accomplished, and is now being implemented everywhere. It begins, in our age, with grace and patience. But it ultimately leads to judgment and justice.

[FONT="]Last night I read Psalm 17. Verse 7 reads:

KJV: "Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them."

ESV: "Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge, from their adversaries at your right hand."

Reading this in context, the Psalm is a plea to God for protection (v1-12) and then a plea for judgment (v13-15). If Jesus had never existed, it would be very plausible to read "right hand" in this context in the poetic sense of God's power. For example, Exodus 15:5-6 (part of the Song of the Sea) reads:

"The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone. Thy right hand, O Lord, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O Lord, hath dashed in pieces the enemy."

I don't think we are meant to read this as Jesus coming down and dashing Pharaoh's arm, so in this case the right hand is a poetic symbol of God's justice.

[/FONT]

“But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; And having an high priest over the house of God; Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.”
    **Hebrews‬ *10:12-17, 19-22‬ *KJV‬‬

it's about priesthood , being at the right hand of God I mean , when the temple was built in the ot, in the inner most room , was the ark of testimony, above it a mercy seat, and a cherub on each end. Gods presence appeared there to commune with the high priest Aaron , and once per year, the atonement sacrifice was made, the oriest would sprinkle the blood on the altar before the testimony and upon the mercy seat upon the ark of testimony . There was a veil so that no one could see inside, only the high priest just once a year was allowed to enter into his presence according to the law.

Jesus is our high priest. He is indeed at Gods right hand , it's a core understanding of Christianity. It's the promise of the kingdom of David. Jesus being where he is means for us we have an intercessor

“Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.”
    **Romans‬ *8:34‬ *KJV‬‬

“By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;”
    **Hebrews‬ *7:22, 24-26‬ *KJV‬‬

“My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.”
    **1 John‬ *2:1-3‬ *KJV‬‬

when intercession is made , it is only as good as the one making the intercession. In the old covenant they had sinners as priests and intercessors, we have the high priest of God , his only begotten Son. Who died for us , and intercedes for us still .

check into the " arm of the lord "

Thread Information