Thread: Amplified Bible differences Vs Amplified Study Bible

Amplified Bible differences Vs Amplified Study Bible

The book of Haggai 1:2
    Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say, The time is not yet come
    that the Lord's house should be rebuilt
    [although Cyrus had ordered it done
    eighteen years before].

This extract is taken from the Amplified version of the Bible. Yet in the version of the Amplified Study Bible, the quote in brackets is missing. Would it not be relevant to a newer version of the Amplified Bible, or not necessary to the Study version of this Bible?

Re: Amplified Bible differences Vs Amplified Study Bible

The Amplified Study Bible appears to be a newer version of the Amplified Bible. The Amplified Bible Classic Edition has the quote in brackets.

Haggai 1:2 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

2 Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say, The time is not yet come that the Lord’s house should be rebuilt [although Cyrus had ordered it done eighteen years before].

Haggai 1:2 Amplified Bible (AMP)

2 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘These people say, “The time has not come that the Lord’s house (temple) should be rebuilt.”
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Thanks for the reply. It does just seem that publishers and editors update or omit information as different versions come and go.

It's a shame no one can agree on what is useful to keep. I would have thought the quote in brackets from my original post was one that should be in a study Bible.

Blog Entries

MOD NOTE: mte55, I notice in your profile that you are not a Christian. I am moving this thread to Christians Answer. You may post in Introductions, Prayer, Christians Answer, and Aeropgus. If you start another thread in Christians Answer and it doesn't show up, I will unlock it for you. Thanks.
    ".....it's your nickel"

There is a lengthy debate among scholars about which of the various manuscripts to use when printing a translation of the Bible. In some cases, when a text is definitely much later than the earliest surviving manuscript, translators do not even include it as a footnote (for example, a highly dubious addition to 1 John in order to hammer a trinitarian formula into the text). Where the discussion is more borderline it may appear in italics or brackets, as a footnote or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    The Amplified Study Bible appears to be a newer version of the Amplified Bible. The Amplified Bible Classic Edition has the quote in brackets.

Haggai 1:2 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

2 Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say, The time is not yet come that the Lord’s house should be rebuilt [although Cyrus had ordered it done eighteen years before].
    The "Amplified Bible" adds things that aren't in the original (that's what "amplified" means). Those additions are not the word of God.

In this case, some versions of the "Amplified Bible" add the comment in brackets, and some don't. More accurate translations would be:

CSB “The Lord of Armies says this: These people say: The time has not come for the house of the Lord to be rebuilt.”

ESV “Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say the time has not yet come to rebuild the house of the Lord.”

NASB “Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘This people says, “The time has not come, even the time for the house of the Lord to be rebuilt.”’”

NIV This is what the Lord Almighty says: “These people say, ‘The time has not yet come to rebuild the Lord’s house.’”

NKJV “Thus speaks the Lord of hosts, saying: ‘This people says, “The time has not come, the time that the Lord’s house should be built.” ’ ”

Thread Information